Sign in to follow this  
Waughee

Animal Spawns

I've been hearing that animal spawns are moving in consistant directions. In cryptography there is a common mistake that could be simillar here and is hard to notice. So I thought I would through it out there in case it helps. Not truly knowing the code base, I fully admit that things are probably working different then I assume, so only the devs will know if this suggestion is helpful at all. Also, I have seen incredibly smart developpers make this mistake and not notice it, so I just wanted to mention it in case it helps.

Assumptions

There is an array of possible directions (probably wrong, but issue is in how random is applied to any finite set)

Each tick an animal pulls a random number n. The direction is determined by grabbbing directions[n%len(directions)]

maxN is the maximum random number

Issue

maxN%len(directions) != 0 therfore the lower indexed directions will be called slightly more often than higher indexed directions. This difference is incredibly small, however every maxN times an animal moves, it would statisticly move those lower directions directions one more time than the rest. So over enough time they would migrate in that direction.

• Like 1

I don't know the programming and code involved but I do know most real life animal migrations are seasonal and cyclical. They tend to make it back to the starting point at the appropriate season. Wurm migration seems to be one direction only. It would be nice if they migrated back to their spawn spots after a time instead of just parking on the far edge of the server.

there was a recent change.. killing the north high spawns(spawn + movement in that direction).. it's kind of boring around north nowdays, sad new reality

It's dead here in mid Xan. Ran into one agro today and I was riding all over the place. :(