Sign in to follow this  
Catsboogogin

New player interested in PvP

Hello!

I've been playing with some friends for the last couple weeks and I'm very much enjoying the game. We have a town and are helping each other out a great deal.

I don't think any of them are truly interested in PvP like I am, maybe all but one. I played Ultima Online for 14 years and all I did was PvP. But..I do have a group of other friends that are interested in PvP but think that Wurm Online is just mostly about crafting...and they hate crafting..so much that they won't even hear me out or check out articles or videos I send them. I play another mmo with them and have been in the same guild for the last 3 years. That mmo has a super small population and finding any PvP is rare, so it's a pretty big bummer that they won't try WO out.

I don't have the knowledge of what PvP is like in Wurm so trying to convince them to at least try things out has been tough. I think if they did they'd find out how amazing WO is! I too hate crafting but haven't really minded the little bit that I've done.

So I guess.. here are some questions that could help me provide them with a better look into Wurm Online PvP.

How long do you guys think it will take to be able to competitively participate in PvP? Learning the mechanics, grinding up the skills and getting decent gear, so on.

Will they be able to avoid crafting?

What kind of battles are out there? Small skirmishes? Large scale 50 vs 50?

What is the population on the PvP server like? 

How easy is it to find fights?

Now for some questions for me since I'm going to play and PvP regardless if my smelly friends come over or not.

There are PvP portals. Will i be able to travel freely between pve and PvP server? Will my skills and items transfer over back and forth? If I'm a citizen of a village on a pve server will i be able to still be part of a faction/village on the PvP server?

I like the idea of playing an Archer in PvP, is this viable? If not, what are some skills that I should look into other wise?

All in all I've been having the most fun that I've had in a long time. I would just like to share this journey with more friends that enjoy the same type of gameplay that I do. Thank you in advance and I hope you have a great day.

On 9/25/2020 at 6:52 AM, Catsboogogin said:

How long do you guys think it will take to be able to competitively participate in PvP? Learning the mechanics, grinding up the skills and getting decent gear, so on.

it does not take long to get PvP ready. If you work hard and efficiently you can be on front lines within two weeks.

Will they be able to avoid crafting?

There is a lot of crafting and terraforming in this game. You could just sit around and wait for PvP but you want to be building up your characteristics. If they want to avoid crafting they can go the priest route and just mine or wood cut or hunt while they wait for PvP. You would need a village to support you and there are plenty in all kingdoms.

What kind of battles are out there? Small skirmishes? Large scale 50 vs 50?

Biggest battle was almost a 30v30. Most of the time it is smaller skirmishes of 3-10 people vs 3-10 people while reinforcements come.

What is the population on the PvP server like? 

Still good but it is reducing.

How easy is it to find fights?

Very easy.

Now for some questions for me since I'm going to play and PvP regardless if my smelly friends come over or not.

There are PvP portals. Will i be able to travel freely between pve and PvP server? Will my skills and items transfer over back and forth? If I'm a citizen of a village on a pve server will i be able to still be part of a faction/village on the PvP server?

Items do not transfer. All skills except your medition path and fight skill transfer. Your religion and village are unique to each server so you can be different on both. Some people play a priest on PvP and craft on PvE since the priest restrictions are severe. 

I like the idea of playing an Archer in PvP, is this viable? If not, what are some skills that I should look into other wise?

Not really. Archery is more of a bonus side skill, not something you focus on. Get fight skill to 70, spear to 40, pick a one hander and get it to 40 and get a shield skill to 40. 21 body control is also necessary for riding a horse. These should all be goals. The only thing I would say is a hard requirement is 21 body control.

Join MR, we would love to have you!