Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Contracts, different seasons on different maps.

Maps, e.g. Cad and Har, should be changed so that for example Cad is the middle of winter and Har is middle of summer.

Winters should be harsher and crops should die as soon as they are covered with snow. Young or sick animals should die while being outside.

NPC port in the starting cities. Sends 1 ship to other NPC ports on other maps every 12 hours.

The COD shipping system should be changed so that it is not possible to ship items between maps directly.  Instead, the COD mail (package) is automatically sent to the nearest starter city with a port. There, the package is waiting to be transported by an NPC ship or it can be picked up by a player who has a ship and wants to sail to another map.

The player declaring the willingness to transport cargo/packages receives a contract for transport (he cannot see what is being sent, he cannot throw or sell cargo away). The transport reward comes from the money charged for the COD, maybe should be higher in this case, and is paid after delivery to destination port.

Players wishing to send items or objects between maps that do not fit into the COD mail can go to the starter city and add the shipment themselves at the NPC port.

Edited by Darnok

There's a seed of a good idea in here;  a sort of combination between the COD system and the wagoneer.  Adding a player element to the delivery system is the weak point, because that would open up the current CoD system to trolls who would pick up packages and hold onto them, or to alter the weight of the goods sold so that it would be a no-drop item in inventory.

Maybe the ability to use the mail system to send bulk deliveries with a system like this without player input would be worth designing, but part of the charm in wurm is making the deliveries yourself.  Syncing up a time to meet for delivery can be a bit of a pain but there's a lot of interesting stuff to see along the way and you can always stop for a bit of hunting.

Edit to address seasonal idea - as for the harsher seasons, we dont really have a way to move animals indoors and still allow them to eat;  we've been asking for food troughs for what seems like forever and only recently (in the past year and a half) got a chicken coop to put chickens in.  with current systems I don't think it would work out.

Edited by Demonix

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

The COD shipping system should be changed so that it is not possible to ship items between maps directly.  Instead, the COD mail (package) is automatically sent to the nearest starter city with a port. There, the package is waiting to be transported by an NPC ship or it can be picked up by a player who has a ship and wants to sail to another map.

The rest of your ideas are terrible, but this one deserves to be called out in specific. Take a look at the map of Cadence. It has two starter cities. One of them has a waterfront... but it has no sailing path to the map edge. The other one isn't a shorefront property. So this idea fails at start on Cadence. Similarly, I don't believe that Heartland on Harmony has a sea route (Harmony Bay does, though). This isn't a problem with Southern Isles, because they've had years worth of development to make the canals and tunnels that were needed. 

That's a problem that can be fixed over time eventually, though - but there's a bigger problem. I do not want players to be able to inject themselves into the middle of a trade. I can only imagine how people would abuse it - holding the cargo hostage and demanding extra payment for delivery, stealing from the cargo, or even just dropping it in the middle of the ocean. "Whoops!" 

If we're going to add NPC transit ships to the game, I far prefer my idea, Sailers*, which is a cross-server integration of the Wagoner system that already exists. 

* No, that's not a typo, it's a deliberate misspelling to seem similar to Wagoner. 

Overall, though: -3. -1 to your Harsh Winter proposal which has been rejected by the community... what, this is the third time? -1 to disabling cross-server mail, and -1 to players self-selecting themselves into being middlemen in trade. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demonix said:

There's a seed of a good idea in here;  a sort of combination between the COD system and the wagoneer.  Adding a player element to the delivery system is the weak point, because that would open up the current CoD system to trolls who would pick up packages and hold onto them, or to alter the weight of the goods sold so that it would be a no-drop item in inventory.

Not true. This problem of holding too long is very easily solved. The faster you deliver the package, the higher your payment will be. The contract may be for a specified number of hours. After a certain number of hours, you have to pay the penalty for failure to fulfill the contract or the package automatically returns to the NPC port.

Maybe the ability to use the mail system to send bulk deliveries with a system like this without player input would be worth designing, but part of the charm in wurm is making the deliveries yourself.  Syncing up a time to meet for delivery can be a bit of a pain but there's a lot of interesting stuff to see along the way and you can always stop for a bit of hunting.

You either fulfill the contract or you fail and get zero payment.

Edit to address seasonal idea - as for the harsher seasons, we dont really have a way to move animals indoors and still allow them to eat;  we've been asking for food troughs for what seems like forever and only recently (in the past year and a half) got a chicken coop to put chickens in.  with current systems I don't think it would work out.

I haven't checked how it works yet, but...

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Hitching_post

3 hours ago, Nekojin said:

The rest of your ideas are terrible, but this one deserves to be called out in specific. Take a look at the map of Cadence. It has two starter cities. One of them has a waterfront... but it has no sailing path to the map edge. The other one isn't a shorefront property. So this idea fails at start on Cadence. Similarly, I don't believe that Heartland on Harmony has a sea route (Harmony Bay does, though). This isn't a problem with Southern Isles, because they've had years worth of development to make the canals and tunnels that were needed. 

That's a problem with map design, not my concern. You focus too much on the limitations and not enough on the new possibilities. And you want too much for others to see everything the way you do.

That's a problem that can be fixed over time eventually, though - but there's a bigger problem. I do not want players to be able to inject themselves into the middle of a trade. I can only imagine how people would abuse it - holding the cargo hostage and demanding extra payment for delivery, stealing from the cargo, or even just dropping it in the middle of the ocean. "Whoops!" 

You should read my idea carefully. Also read the previous post in which I wrote about how to avoid abuse.

If we're going to add NPC transit ships to the game, I far prefer my idea, Sailers*, which is a cross-server integration of the Wagoner system that already exists. 

* No, that's not a typo, it's a deliberate misspelling to seem similar to Wagoner. 

Overall, though: -3. -1 to your Harsh Winter proposal which has been rejected by the community... what, this is the third time? -1 to disabling cross-server mail, and -1 to players self-selecting themselves into being middlemen in trade. 

The community fails to notice the benefits of such a change. As I have emphasized several times, many players are short-sighted.

35 minutes ago, Darnok said:

The community fails to notice the benefits of such a change. As I have emphasized several times, many players are short-sighted.

Thankfully you are here with your vast 2 months experience to help save us short sighted players some with 10+ years playing. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Darnok said:

That's a problem with map design, not my concern. You focus too much on the limitations and not enough on the new possibilities. And you want too much for others to see everything the way you do.

It should be your concern, because a "system" that is utterly unusable for one of the busiest servers in the game is not a good idea. 

And yes, I want people like you to consider the shortcomings, pitfalls, and problems of your ideas, because that's how you get workable ideas turned into functional gameplay elements. The ideas that you're throwing around are not new, and not really particularly imaginative. Harsher winter has been suggested many times before, it's not some new and novel thing that nobody before you has considered. 

You should read my idea carefully. Also read the previous post in which I wrote about how to avoid abuse.

I read your idea. You make zero effort to outline details and complications, you just throw random stray thoughts at the wall, and expect everyone to applaud. Let's look at your idea again, shall we? 

11 hours ago, Darnok said:

The player declaring the willingness to transport cargo/packages receives a contract for transport (he cannot see what is being sent, he cannot throw or sell cargo away). The transport reward comes from the money charged for the COD, maybe should be higher in this case, and is paid after delivery to destination port.

Players wishing to send items or objects between maps that do not fit into the COD mail can go to the starter city and add the shipment themselves at the NPC port.

Nowhere here did you explain the penalty for nondelivery or late delivery. I don't know what part of this I'm supposed to "read carefully" to figure out how to deal with your obvious flaws. If your idea is that people just don't get paid if they don't deliver things on time, then what stops someone from just accepting every order their ship can hold and leaving the ship out in the middle of the ocean? Or handing them off to an alt, and then logging out for weeks? How do you deal with griefers, people who deliberately attempt to break the game and hurt or inconvenience others? 

The community isn't as short-sighted as you seem to be. Why is it that every single suggestion that you make is either really, really bad for new players, or trivially exploitable, or both? Or, bad on a different level, hijacking suggestions that other people have made since you joined? 

Edited by Nekojin

43 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Ah, so it doesnt go your way you start insulting... got it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

Not true. This problem of holding too long is very easily solved. The faster you deliver the package, the higher your payment will be. The contract may be for a specified number of hours. After a certain number of hours, you have to pay the penalty for failure to fulfill the contract or the package automatically returns to the NPC port.

You either fulfill the contract or you fail and get zero payment.

I'm just going to address this part of your reply.

The problem isn't the amount of payment or a decreasing payscale over time;  it's people accepting the delivery and DELIBERATELY not delivering the goods.  You've failed to account for trolls in your idea.

Rework it to elimnate its use as a griefing tool and it may be worth discussion.  As it is, though...  No.

I'm just going to address this part of your reply.

The problem isn't the amount of payment or a decreasing payscale over time;  it's people accepting the delivery and DELIBERATELY not delivering the goods.  You've failed to account for trolls in your idea.

Rework it to elimnate its use as a griefing tool and it may be worth discussion.  As it is, though...  No.

I wrote that it is impossible to troll and not deliver the shipment, because you will either pay a penalty or the shipment will return to the port.

10 hours ago, Nekojin said:

It should be your concern, because a "system" that is utterly unusable for one of the busiest servers in the game is not a good idea. 

And yes, I want people like you to consider the shortcomings, pitfalls, and problems of your ideas, because that's how you get workable ideas turned into functional gameplay elements. The ideas that you're throwing around are not new, and not really particularly imaginative. Harsher winter has been suggested many times before, it's not some new and novel thing that nobody before you has considered. 

What system are you writing about?

I described my idea, find any gaps in it other than "I don't like it" or goodbye.

I read your idea. You make zero effort to outline details and complications, you just throw random stray thoughts at the wall, and expect everyone to applaud. Let's look at your idea again, shall we? 

What is missing? All elements have been described.

Nowhere here did you explain the penalty for nondelivery or late delivery. I don't know what part of this I'm supposed to "read carefully" to figure out how to deal with your obvious flaws. If your idea is that people just don't get paid if they don't deliver things on time, then what stops someone from just accepting every order their ship can hold and leaving the ship out in the middle of the ocean? Or handing them off to an alt, and then logging out for weeks? How do you deal with griefers, people who deliberately attempt to break the game and hurt or inconvenience others? 

They will only waste time. If you leave the ship in the middle of the sea and the shipment is returned to the port NPC, after the contract is not completed, and the package will be delivered by the NPC ship, you will gain nothing. The players in this system are to speed up the transport so you don't have to wait 12 hours for the NPC ship. But they can't slow it down.

The community isn't as short-sighted as you seem to be. Why is it that every single suggestion that you make is either really, really bad for new players, or trivially exploitable, or both? Or, bad on a different level, hijacking suggestions that other people have made since you joined? 

In your opinion, not in reality. You are now writing about things in your head and the problems you create for yourself, not about something that exists because none of my ideas have been implemented yet.

What idea did I take from anyone?

---

Addition to the main idea of contracts. If an NPC ship leaves map every 12 hours, the player should be able to buy a ticket to travel on that ship. If you log out at the port, even when you are offline, you will be transferred to the map for which you purchased the ticket.

Edited by Darnok

Just now, Darnok said:

How do you know what I understand and what I don't?

Okay, if you are going to hold to that line, you have a lot of posts to go back and edit.  I truly think you should self reflect a bit on that pyramid of yours.  I did and found it valuable.  When you post things like "cheater" and "stupid people" and "crooks" where do you think that sits?  What about "you're all wrong"  or "this community doesn't understand"?

I try to respond constructively to your suggestions, and to explain what I see as the good and the bad and why - but it becomes difficult when the posts become just plain disagreeable.  

I have said before and will likely say again - there are almost no good Wurm ideas that have not been suggested or discussed in some fashion already.  Given that, when people seem to pile on with negative reaction to an idea it is worth considering that in their many years of experience and discussion they have probably looked at any given idea or something similar more than once before (and I have seen several occasions where what is being suggested is actually a reversion to something that was scrapped because it didn't work out well) rather than just assuming that everybody else just lacks any understanding of how the idea might work.

Coincidentally, at about the same time as you posting here about harsh winters, they have been the subject of some discussion in another thread.  They have been implemented on some WU servers and the result is a reduction in players - some people like the dynamic many dislike it enough to stop playing. That is probably all that needs to be discussed about it, the fact that it has been implemented and it hasn't been a net positive.

Your COD idea is interesting, but I don't even use wagoners and I can see easy griefing and exploits in what you suggest.  Essentially, it would not enhance trade but could severely disrupt it.  Keep working on it though, because that is an area that could use some improvement.  Have a poke around the forum, because I have seen other discussion about this kind of thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Okay, if you are going to hold to that line, you have a lot of posts to go back and edit.  I truly think you should self reflect a bit on that pyramid of yours.  I did and found it valuable.  When you post things like "cheater" and "stupid people" and "crooks" where do you think that sits?  What about "you're all wrong"  or "this community doesn't understand"?

After all, some people in the game behave this way and the fact that they want to hide what they are doing proves my point. If they don't do anything wrong, what are they afraid of?

If someone spent too much time playing one game with ~1000 players, he missed some good solutions from other games, much more popular ones. And if you use the ad populum argument in evaluating of my idea, the fact how many players play the game is same level of evaluation of ideas game is based on.

15 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Coincidentally, at about the same time as you posting here about harsh winters, they have been the subject of some discussion in another thread.  They have been implemented on some WU servers and the result is a reduction in players - some people like the dynamic many dislike it enough to stop playing. That is probably all that needs to be discussed about it, the fact that it has been implemented and it hasn't been a net positive.

It all depends on how this idea is implemented. Sure, if you add harsh winter to Cad, Har and Mel at the same time, it will be hard to survive, but if there is summer on one map and winter on the other, even a very harsh winter can be survived thanks to the developed trade exchange.

15 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

Your COD idea is interesting, but I don't even use wagoners and I can see easy griefing and exploits in what you suggest.  Essentially, it would not enhance trade but could severely disrupt it.  Keep working on it though, because that is an area that could use some improvement.  Have a poke around the forum, because I have seen other discussion about this kind of thing.

There are transportation contracts in Eve, are they working or not?

I don't think that many people would like the harsh winters and this is also because people don't even like the current winters in wurm since it does not offer much, apart from blinding white snow, snowballs and snowmen.  People normally want winter to get over and done with as fast as possible.  From what I've seen.

To have even more extreme winters, I feel that you would have to introduce alot of benefits or new items/features that make people want to go through with the pain because they get rewards from going through it.

So these are my winter suggestions:

Reduce skill needed to build hitching posts:

Spoiler

We already have hitching posts but maybe the skill required to make them should be lower a bit since otherwise it might drive away new users who want to breed animals, all year round.

New winter only berry bushes to create different Potions with the Alchemy System:

Spoiler

Also you could introduce new bushes that produce berries, only in the winter and these berries could be used by magic users to help them gain back mana by creating mana potions (I don't know much of anything about the magic system btw).  You could even use these berries as another source of hp potions or even stamina potions.  Sort of like an add on to the Alchemy system.

New Winter Monsters such as Snow foxes, Yetis, more deer and a Griffin:

Spoiler

There could be new monsters or animals that only spawn during winter.  Such as Snow foxes (10 fight power to fight) and yetis (50 - 60 fight power to fight)  - When the spring comes, these creatures would slowly lose their health and die of natural causes. this would help keep them a winter only thing.

Oh and maybe also increase the spawns of deer during winter a bit too.

You could introduce normal orange foxes for the other times of the year.

Also lets make it so that they have special items that they could drop.  For the snow fox, it could drop white fur and that could be used to create white fluffy fur coats and fur hats. These would more be for looks then anything.

The yeti could drop a mint/herb ice ball recipe -  Along with a 50 ql snow club that can not be improved (Like the trolls weapon) 

OMG!  I just thought of a new boss monster!  A Griffin! It would spawn high up on mountains so high slopes - like over 200 - 300 slope.  The Griffin would spawn when winter first comes to the game so users have until winter is over to find the Griffin and kill it.

The Griffin could give rewards like when you kill other boss monsters such as blood....etc....etc.   It could also drop a magic rune or feather item that when attached to a cart or ship, helps it go a bit faster.

How to protect farms from frost and snowfall:

Spoiler

I would also suggest a new spell or path of love add on where you can bless a farm or even an area of so many tiles, to protect farmland from snow.

Blessed farmland could increase the yield by 2.  So if you normally got 5 strawberries, you would instead get 7 strawberries for example. 

Or even just add an option to shovel snow off farm tiles which helps increase digging skill.  If the snow is left on the farm tile for 1- 2 days then the farm tile dies.

Magic Ice Crystals to create frost based weapons and blue glowing necklace lights:

Spoiler

Another idea could be that in the winter, in caves - There would spawn magic ice crystals - Sort of like the magic shards that sometimes fall around the map.
These ice crystals could be used to create crystal ice stones.  After creating the ice stone with a hammer and anvil.  You could then attach it to a weapon to add a chill % effect to the weapon.

You could also use it to create blue stoned necklaces that give a chill effect or even could produce a blue glow.  Like a mini light source when worn.

Though it would be best to make these magic ice crystals quite rare, so there would not be lots of them spawning all over the place.

Edited by Zexos

1 hour ago, Zexos said:

I don't think that many people would like the harsh winters and this is also because people don't even like the current winters in wurm since it does not offer much, apart from blinding white snow, snowballs and snowmen.  People normally want winter to get over and done with as fast as possible.  From what I've seen.

To have even more extreme winters, I feel that you would have to introduce alot of benefits or new items/features that make people want to go through with the pain because they get rewards from going through it.

So these are my winter suggestions:

Reduce skill needed to build hitching posts:

Hide contents

We already have hitching posts but maybe the skill required to make them should be lower a bit since otherwise it might drive away new users who want to breed animals, all year round.

New winter only berry bushes to create different Potions with the Alchemy System:

Hide contents

Also you could introduce new bushes that produce berries, only in the winter and these berries could be used by magic users to help them gain back mana by creating mana potions (I don't know much of anything about the magic system btw).  You could even use these berries as another source of hp potions or even stamina potions.  Sort of like an add on to the Alchemy system.

New Winter Monsters such as Snow foxes, Yetis, more deer and a Griffin:

Hide contents

There could be new monsters or animals that only spawn during winter.  Such as Snow foxes (10 fight power to fight) and yetis (50 - 60 fight power to fight)  - When the spring comes, these creatures would slowly lose their health and die of natural causes. this would help keep them a winter only thing.

Oh and maybe also increase the spawns of deer during winter a bit too.

You could introduce normal orange foxes for the other times of the year.

Also lets make it so that they have special items that they could drop.  For the snow fox, it could drop white fur and that could be used to create white fluffy fur coats and fur hats. These would more be for looks then anything.

The yeti could drop a mint/herb ice ball recipe -  Along with a 50 ql snow club that can not be improved (Like the trolls weapon) 

OMG!  I just thought of a new boss monster!  A Griffin! It would spawn high up on mountains so high slopes - like over 200 - 300 slope.  The Griffin would spawn when winter first comes to the game so users have until winter is over to find the Griffin and kill it.

The Griffin could give rewards like when you kill other boss monsters such as blood....etc....etc.   It could also drop a magic rune or feather item that when attached to a cart or ship, helps it go a bit faster.

How to protect farms from frost and snowfall:

Hide contents

I would also suggest a new spell or path of love add on where you can bless a farm or even an area of so many tiles, to protect farmland from snow.

Blessed farmland could increase the yield by 2.  So if you normally got 5 strawberries, you would instead get 7 strawberries for example. 

Or even just add an option to shovel snow off farm tiles which helps increase digging skill.  If the snow is left on the farm tile for 1- 2 days then the farm tile dies.

Magic Ice Crystals to create frost based weapons and blue glowing necklace lights:

Hide contents

Another idea could be that in the winter, in caves - There would spawn magic ice crystals - Sort of like the magic shards that sometimes fall around the map.
These ice crystals could be used to create crystal ice stones.  After creating the ice stone with a hammer and anvil.  You could then attach it to a weapon to add a chill % effect to the weapon.

You could also use it to create blue stoned necklaces that give a chill effect or even could produce a blue glow.  Like a mini light source when worn.

Though it would be best to make these magic ice crystals quite rare, so there would not be lots of them spawning all over the place.

Maybe those who complain about winter should check out some single player games, in one the whole concept of the game is based on the struggle for winter survival and it is pretty good.

Seasonal animals would probably be an interesting addition. In summer, it can be gazelles, camels, lions, tigers and other animals from warm climates, and in winter, polar bears, foxes, mammoths (because why not, we have dragons, so...). A reward for killing a large fur, from which you can make a whole tent, tusks can be made into jewelry or healing covers.

Few of my ideas posted some time ago...

• Like 1

I think you've got some good ideas in there, zexos.  If the systems can be put into place to allow animal husbandry during the winter months those additions would be a nice bonus to really differentiate the winter season and make it special.

I personally like winter as it is in game;  makes hunting REALLY easy when all the leaves are off the trees and mushroom spawns REALLY stand out against the snow.  Snowball fights are always fun too :).  That's not to say that it can't be changed, just that I gues i'm one of those wierdos that like it as it is. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 10:23 AM, Darnok said:

Maybe those who complain about winter should check out some single player games, in one the whole concept of the game is based on the struggle for winter survival and it is pretty good.

Seasonal animals would probably be an interesting addition. In summer, it can be gazelles, camels, lions, tigers and other animals from warm climates, and in winter, polar bears, foxes, mammoths (because why not, we have dragons, so...). A reward for killing a large fur, from which you can make a whole tent, tusks can be made into jewelry or healing covers.

Few of my ideas posted some time ago...

Hey some of those ideas are pretty cool :) Yeah, I like the idea of different seasonal animals.

Though I've also thought of the idea of a whole tropical server where the trees are different. Where you get palm trees and sandy beaches with more tropical animals such as monkeys, jaguars, cassowaries...etc. maybe more sandstone could be on the server as well.  Just a little idea, I thought of a while ago but not really in great detail.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 9:00 AM, Darnok said:

I wrote that it is impossible to troll and not deliver the shipment, because you will either pay a penalty or the shipment will return to the port.

And how do you pay the penalty if lets say you have no money to begin with? 

simply put.. -1 just like most of your ideas

Edited by Benalish

On 9/26/2020 at 6:34 PM, Darnok said:

There are transportation contracts in Eve, are they working or not?

Firslty, Eve and Wurm are two entirely different games with entirely different premises, aims and audiences.  Something working in one is no reason it is needed or would work in the other. 

Secondly, I request that you please moderate your conversation somewhat.  The above-quoted "are they working or not" is quite belligerent and this is in your response to me supporting your effort to improve deliveries in Wurm.  This raises the question (in my mind at least) of whether you are trying to improve the game with your suggestions or if you are merely seeking argument.

On 9/25/2020 at 5:23 AM, Darnok said:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/227300/Euro_Truck_Simulator_2/

• Like 1

Darnok, you keep telling people to go find themselves another game if they dont like your ideas, how about you do that instead of ripping on a establishes game and comunity? 

• Like 4