Sign in to follow this  
Zexos

What does the cat reaction emote mean?

Was not sure where to put this but yeah, what does it mean?  

It does not seem to effect reputation on the forums, like the love heart.  So, what does it mean?  Meow?  How cute? 

I've wondered about it since I came to the forums... But never asked, just assumed. 

Edited by Zexos
  • Cat 6

According to GM Nicrolis and Lead Forum Moderator Pandalet, it was simply added as a neutral alternative to a "Like", and does not have any overtly negative connotations. 

People are apparently allowed to interpret it as they please!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1
  • Cat 2

Cat is our black market overlord every cat emote on the forums is 1 more lost soul to the cat god that Cat serves

• Like 1
  • Cat 5

4 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

According to GM Nicrolis and Lead Forum Moderator Pandalet, it was simply added as a neutral alternative to a "Like", and does not have any overtly negative connotations. 

People are apparently allowed to interpret it as they please!

but one player in different topic reminded about banned niki that nobody liked and she had avatars with cats so we use it as a dislike

9 minutes ago, Votip said:

but one player in different topic reminded about banned niki that nobody liked and she had avatars with cats so we use it as a dislike

You might use it as a dislike i use it as tribute to the Cat god

• Cat 1

I use cat emoji as a super-like. If I really like something, I use cat. If I just like it, I give the heart. 

• Like 2
  • Cat 2

Thanks guys for the answers 😊👍

I've used it now and again when I found something funny.  So, seems that also people use it for all manner of different reasons as well. 

Just now, Finnn said:

like gives you rep, cat doesn't

TBF Cat emoji is the real reward.

• Cat 3

since heart gives rep, and cat does not.... I tend to use heart on player posts that I agree with or like. I use the cat for Dev and GM posts that I think are good, but they don't really interact with the rep system in the same way that players do. 

Just my 2 irons. 

• Like 2

I brought up the cat face once, too.  
Seems to come around like full moons.... official response is: It's a cat. It means nothing. It means "cat".

At the end of the day - the cat reaction is arbitrarily assigned a purpose each time that each Wurmian uses it. "Cat" is a symbol that cannot reliably convey any consistent meaning at all. So the truth is that the cat reaction is ultimately meaningless in the most literal way possible.

• Cat 3

1 hour ago, Amata said:

"Cat" is a symbol that cannot reliably convey any consistent meaning at all. So the truth is that the cat reaction is ultimately meaningless in the most literal way possible.

I politely disagree as the cat is not meaningless, but the cat is the meaning, a value in itself, meow. :)

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Oblivion I don't know wth is going on in that pic but I find it disturbing and first instinct is animal abuse going on. The 'scruffing' alone is inappropriate.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tilda said:

Oblivion I don't know wth is going on in that pic but I find it disturbing and first instinct is animal abuse going on. The 'scruffing' alone is inappropriate.

just something someone sent me randomly didnt know scruffing was bad for cats until now so removed it

50jNrCVNW309PdhQdziF16Gl634bhjNOWiEfBab2

here is happier spaghet cat

• Cat 4

On 9/26/2020 at 8:27 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

just something someone sent me randomly didnt know scruffing was bad for cats until now so removed it

50jNrCVNW309PdhQdziF16Gl634bhjNOWiEfBab2

here is happier spaghet cat

+1

I'm so glad the wurm forum doesn't have a traditional like & dislike button. Mad love to whoever decided it should be a cat.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 8:18 AM, Votip said:

ITdWwAc.png

Don't think we have official post stating what the cat emote means, it's just a 'badge' that doesn't give rep, and it's a CAT

3683.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=49ed3252c0b2ffb49cf8b508892e452d

• Like 1