Sign in to follow this  
Samool

On Things Current

16 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Del I didn't read prpperly

Edited by Votip

On 9/24/2020 at 6:48 PM, Tamorlane said:

Single-handedly, in 4-6 months, I can rewrite the base code of the space shuttle launch system because I am the king of Assembler.

Of course, I don't do Java, and I don't have a couple hundred mouthy people crawling up my back every day while I try my best to make things better.  I was a GM for almost a decade, and I would argue that no matter what this team is paid its not nearly enough for the garbage they have to sort through on the daily.  An open world sand box game is an evolving concept and you should get that if you play it.  Asking the devs to say "what will milking look like in 2023" is just silly.  We probably have the most attentive and involved dev team that we have had in years, and I would guess the whiteboard in that room looks like Ramses' tomb.  The communication over the past few years has been astounding, and while I have had my concerns in the past about any number of things, this group we have now is busting their *ss for this community.

That's what a team is for. Retro is supposed to be the bridge between the development team and the players, so him not being able to fulfill that role does accomplishes nothing except make people upset. It seems that most of the time he's just as much in the dark as we are, so you have people decrying him left and right and that he's the reason there's no information coming out when in reality, there's no information to report.

Hanging the community coordinator out to dry by sending him out with vague promises and no concrete information is hilariously disrespectful both to him and to the playerbase as a whole. If he isn't getting the information, then it's a matter of following the thread backwards to figure out who or what is stopping it, and wherever that is, that's what needs to change.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 10:36 PM, Shmeric said:

Just another quick personal opinion. Wurm does not need new content every 2nd month.

Fixing some critical and/or long term annoying issues would be much more appreciated.

Animal spawns and disembarking bugs jump up and down on suggestion and bug forums, for example, effortlessly not getting enough attention.

What wurm really needs is a long period of "we are bug fixing the client and servers any and all content that is created at this time will be start being released again as of "insert month here"" kinda period as there are to dam many bugs some new and many ancient old ones that plague the game things like insane memory usage or being thrown into the sky when disembarking because your near a semi steep tile or bridges allowing animals to travel up to different floors of the house its attached to are just some of the slew of random stuff that just exists and should not exist and should be possible to be fixed easilly

Oh another one is the you can mine 1 lower then what you can open up a mine entrance at which would allow for a unminable moat around a deed on any pvp server where you can dictate the only entry point in couple that with 900+ steep corner tiles and some other shenanigans and one can create near indestructible castles(this 1 more down is also past the point of concrete so cant be fixed by players period)
The above bug was reported topic was made silence is what follows yet such a little thing as the max mining distance and max cave entrance distance being off by 1 has the potential to ruin so much if used properly and frankly i want this fixed as i want to be able to make my mine entrance for my boat deed for my new deed but the implication of this weird "miss configuration" as i have come to call it results in players having the ability to create unfixable terrain

Another fun client bug is "invisible trees" or "no lower body trees" as i call them where a certain client configuration allows for players to effectively get rid of the lower half of the tree model allow them to see everything in rendering range that isnt obscured by terrain while they are in a forest(does it get abused in pvp? yes)

There are more but i dont feel like sitting here until 9pm(its now 4:32pm) writing away making a list of weird bugs that all have been reported already and just dont get fixed

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 8:36 PM, Sindusk said:

Call me a pessimist but from what I'm reading here, it sounds more like just releasing stuff that was held back with minor tweaks rather than actual new content. It's been 2 months since launch and there's nothing major in development? That's terrifying.

Call me a pessimist but taking server donations backed w/promises of server work and running for the hills isn't any better.

Edited by Jeston

4 hours ago, Jeston said:
On 9/24/2020 at 3:36 AM, Sindusk said:

Call me a pessimist but from what I'm reading here, it sounds more like just releasing stuff that was held back with minor tweaks rather than actual new content. It's been 2 months since launch and there's nothing major in development? That's terrifying.

Call me a pessimist but taking server donations backed w/promises of server work and running for the hills isn't any better.

I feel serious disapproval for both comments. First, I am not sure whether "major in development" should be a priority at the moment. Second, I feel that accusation, while the roadmap is not published yet, fairly injust.

Generally, I would feel better if the main emphasis would be on stability, doing a major overwork, going through the not few bugs existing and annoying the community. Also, as far as possible, lag issues, recently being bad on Xanadu again, would be addressed.  As for the unfairness of the accusation, mind that the last 9 months (at least) were nonending stress for the dev team. A more calm time could not but being beneficial for them and the game.

As to Jeston, lashing out to WU server admins in such a generalizing way is not fair as well. To my knowledge, Sindusk is not one of those you depict, besides that is completely off topic. And I appreciate his contributions and suggestions to WO.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

10 hour of sb is cool for the peeps still playing but is there anything we can do to bring back people we already lost? For example on the pvp server do a weekend 10% xp gain for wep/shield skills to make up for the lack of mobs.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 2:46 AM, Samool said:

This is not the longer term roadmap (which we intend on sharing very soon, most likely next week)

I guess the roadmap should be out anytime soon. I hope there's a new tree types  with higher dificulty and name change being mentioned in it.

as we speaking of the 10h sleep bonus, is it known when we get it? or how many day ahead we will get notified?

Edited by Yuchdan

On 9/23/2020 at 8:46 PM, Samool said:

Hello!

Since things have been quiet from us for a while, we thought we’d update you with the list of things that we’re currently working on addressing. This is not the longer term roadmap (which we intend on sharing very soon, most likely next week), but a status on the outstanding issues that we’ll have fixes out for soon.

First off, below are some of the things that will be addressed with the next update, which will happen early next week:

• Situation with uneven creature spawns on all servers should be fixed, and the creature cap on Defiance will be additionally raised
  • Bug where coffers on the new servers kept being empty will be fixed (coins will again be able to be acquired through foraging etc)
  • You’ll be able to start new characters on Defiance, straight from the tutorial portal

Other than that, we’re working on fixing other issues up, as well as reintroducing features from the Southern Freedom Isles that didn’t make it yet to the new servers. Below is some details regarding the changes we’re working on:

Missions and Valrei features

Missions will appear on the new servers along with a Valrei update intended for Defiance, which should be very soon.

Favor regeneration

To help with the Channeling skillgain (and generally make casting less annoying) we’ll be introducing changes to how favor works.

This will work off the previously suggested changes to allow a higher pool of pending favor to be prepared, with concerns raised in that feedback thread (https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/178620-changes-to-favor-gain-from-sacrificing/) being addressed - further details will appear in the patch notes.

Source fountains
We’re working on changing this mechanic a bit before reintroducing it to the new servers, mostly to avoid the claiming of those as has happened on other servers.

Rifts and runes
Rifts on the new servers will appear in a couple months - we feel the servers are not developed enough for those yet, and we would like to balance them further beforehand.

Sleep bonus(es)
This is coming a bit late, but as announced before, we will grant everyone 10 hours of sleep bonus to compensate for the rocky launch and the following weeks we’ve had - this will be announced a few days before it happens so everyone has a chance to use up what they have left.

This will be coming together with a sleep bonus merge between Defiance and the PvE servers of the Northern Freedom Isles - your sleep bonus will cross through when using the PvP portal, so that you can use it where you want to.

Moon metal on PvE (via gift packs)
Pending rebalance.

Imbues
Pending rebalance.

New UI
We’re working on further improving the new UI and addressing the common complaints before removing the old UI client - among these will be improvements to the default/repeat action systems, text size settings, better chat settings and more.

As you might’ve noticed, a lot of the things wait on us finalizing their balancing before introducing them to the new servers. Since this launch has allowed a lot of people to experience a fresh Wurm start, we want to jump on this chance to try and rethink some of the things that ended up as less than ideal on the Southern Freedom Cluster balance-wise.

This has been more regarding the PvE side of Wurm, so here’s a fresh PvP discussion thread with some more information on that front: 

And to reiterate, a full roadmap disclosing some of our longer-term plans for Wurm (regarding all the servers, not just Northern Freedom Isles) will be up on the forums very soon - for now though, I hope this post clears up the current situation.

Hi !!

I was wondering if I could get an update on some Compensation for people who got screwed out of playing during the Steam Launch. Myself and many others were affected by a programming error #35. We were not able to log on to the game and therefore lost out on paid premium time, as well as deed upkeep time. Now I understand you are giving out 10 hours of sleep bonus to everyone, that doesn't compensate the people who lost out on actual game time. Could the staff here please look into the ERROR 35 problem with a little more depth. Some of your player base got royally shafted, and the staff here doesn't seem to give a crap. It's not a good business look for a company to shaft their player base.

I hope you'll look into this matter properly, and compensate the people affected by ERROR 35 with something that actually refunds the time we paid for, as well as the pain and suffering we've gone through all these months waiting for the matter to be looking into.

Thank you, 

Edited by Gumbo

Well since I don't seem to be able to edit my last comment due to forum limitations. Here is my reply that is stuck at the bottom of that last quote.

Hi !!

I was wondering if I could get an update on some Compensation for people who got screwed out of playing during the Steam Launch. Myself and many others were affected by a programming error #35. We were not able to log on to the game and therefore lost out on paid premium time, as well as deed upkeep time. Now I understand you are giving out 10 hours of sleep bonus to everyone, that doesn't compensate the people who lost out on actual game time. Could the staff here please look into the ERROR 35 problem with a little more depth. Some of your player base got royally shafted, and the staff here doesn't seem to give a crap. It's not a good business look for a company to shaft their player base.

I hope you'll look into this matter properly, and compensate the people affected by ERROR 35 with something that actually refunds the time we paid for, as well as the pain and suffering we've gone through all these months waiting for the matter to be looking into.

Thank you, 

On 10/2/2020 at 4:01 AM, Gumbo said:

Well since I don't seem to be able to edit my last comment due to forum limitations. Here is my reply that is stuck at the bottom of that last quote.

Hi !!

Thank you, 

From another thread:

22 hours ago, Retrograde said:

When we encountered issues at launch we stated compensation would be delayed to ensure we did not have further issues which would require separate compensation. 

This compensation includes things that affect a smaller part of the player base such as harmony lag while the other servers were fine various crashes that other servers did not encounter, and the players unable to play due to the error 35 message. 

I understand that you feel your issue is more impacted than the other issues encountered, but we will not be dealing with individual issues with individual compensation, especially given that many people had various different issues, from connection, stability and bugs. 

On 9/29/2020 at 1:37 PM, AceRifle said:

10 hour of sb is cool for the peeps still playing but is there anything we can do to bring back people we already lost? For example on the pvp server do a weekend 10% xp gain for wep/shield skills to make up for the lack of mobs.

Marks!   (please)

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:46 PM, Samool said:

Sleep bonus(es)
This is coming a bit late, but as announced before, we will grant everyone 10 hours of sleep bonus to compensate for the rocky launch and the following weeks we’ve had - this will be announced a few days before it happens so everyone has a chance to use up what they have left.

Any update on this by chance?  I am personally really hoping for an announcement soon that it will be happening this weekend to allow me to grind out 5.5h of that in a day so I can sleep in my bed at the end of the day :)

• Like 1