Sign in to follow this  
Samool

On Things Current

Hello!

Since things have been quiet from us for a while, we thought we’d update you with the list of things that we’re currently working on addressing. This is not the longer term roadmap (which we intend on sharing very soon, most likely next week), but a status on the outstanding issues that we’ll have fixes out for soon.

First off, below are some of the things that will be addressed with the next update, which will happen early next week:

• Situation with uneven creature spawns on all servers should be fixed, and the creature cap on Defiance will be additionally raised
  • Bug where coffers on the new servers kept being empty will be fixed (coins will again be able to be acquired through foraging etc)
  • You’ll be able to start new characters on Defiance, straight from the tutorial portal

Other than that, we’re working on fixing other issues up, as well as reintroducing features from the Southern Freedom Isles that didn’t make it yet to the new servers. Below is some details regarding the changes we’re working on:

Missions and Valrei features

Missions will appear on the new servers along with a Valrei update intended for Defiance, which should be very soon.

Favor regeneration

To help with the Channeling skillgain (and generally make casting less annoying) we’ll be introducing changes to how favor works.

This will work off the previously suggested changes to allow a higher pool of pending favor to be prepared, with concerns raised in that feedback thread (https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/178620-changes-to-favor-gain-from-sacrificing/) being addressed - further details will appear in the patch notes.

Source fountains
We’re working on changing this mechanic a bit before reintroducing it to the new servers, mostly to avoid the claiming of those as has happened on other servers.

Rifts and runes
Rifts on the new servers will appear in a couple months - we feel the servers are not developed enough for those yet, and we would like to balance them further beforehand.

Sleep bonus(es)
This is coming a bit late, but as announced before, we will grant everyone 10 hours of sleep bonus to compensate for the rocky launch and the following weeks we’ve had - this will be announced a few days before it happens so everyone has a chance to use up what they have left.

This will be coming together with a sleep bonus merge between Defiance and the PvE servers of the Northern Freedom Isles - your sleep bonus will cross through when using the PvP portal, so that you can use it where you want to.

Moon metal on PvE (via gift packs)
Pending rebalance.

Imbues
Pending rebalance.

New UI
We’re working on further improving the new UI and addressing the common complaints before removing the old UI client - among these will be improvements to the default/repeat action systems, text size settings, better chat settings and more.

As you might’ve noticed, a lot of the things wait on us finalizing their balancing before introducing them to the new servers. Since this launch has allowed a lot of people to experience a fresh Wurm start, we want to jump on this chance to try and rethink some of the things that ended up as less than ideal on the Southern Freedom Cluster balance-wise.

This has been more regarding the PvE side of Wurm, so here’s a fresh PvP discussion thread with some more information on that front: 

And to reiterate, a full roadmap disclosing some of our longer-term plans for Wurm (regarding all the servers, not just Northern Freedom Isles) will be up on the forums very soon - for now though, I hope this post clears up the current situation.

• Like 20
  • Cat 1

8 minutes ago, Samool said:

This will work off the previously suggested changes to allow a higher pool of pending favor

The wording in that thread closure already made it clear the idea would go ahead regardless of noone supporting it, please dont add another convoluted system with 'pending favor' there are other great alternatives in there.  I know some people find it hard to let go of a bad idea when they spent time on it but bad is bad. Please.

• Like 21

Missions:  Any confirmation that we will be getting valrei missions on the PvE servers on NFI, or will they be defiance only?
Rifts and runes: A tad disappointing this is being pushed back that far, though without players having had much ability to reliably grind up combat skills, it probably wouldn't be a particularly good experience implemented in right now
Sleep bonus 10 hour compensation: 🥳🥳🥳🥳🥳

Imbues: Re: rebalancing, will we have a discussion thread in advance talking about potential changes, or will it more likely just be 'here's the new system' ?
Defiance/PvE Sleep bonus merge: Mixed feelings on this. I mean it means we can go over to pvp, do things that generate sleep bonus, and come back to Freedom and use that sleep bonus which is nice, but it also means we don't have as big a buffer for doing so, which is a bit of a bummer. 
New UI: This (and you guys finally getting coffers working) is what I've really been looking forward to, ESPECIALLY text scaling. Really looking forward to this.

Thanks for the update, and keep up the good work!

Edited by Arronicus
Who needs a reason!

So we are again making major changes to the favor system with out letting people give feed back, or I guess if we count the previous thread ignoring feedback, until after it goes live?  I guess it is nice to finally have some sort of information provided to the community.  Here's hoping it isn't as horrible as was suggested before.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

The wording in that thread closure already made it clear the idea would go ahead regardless of noone supporting it, please dont add another convoluted system with 'pending favor' there are other great alternatives in there.  I know some people find it hard to let go of a bad idea when they spent time on it but bad is bad. Please.

In that thread, I mentioned that the player feedback offered in the thread would be considered when implementing anything. As mentioned in the post you're replying to here, those concerns are being addressed and more details will come.

• Like 5

Let's not be to hasty about the favor rework. LET US TEST IT FIRST!

• Like 9

Better late than never. :)

Imbues
Pending rebalance.

What's the status on blood/potions from uniques once we start killing those? Will they be broken until this rebalance? Or just not dropping/being craftable until then?

Just now, Ostentatio said:

In that thread, I mentioned that the player feedback offered in the thread would be considered when implementing anything. As mentioned in the post you're replying to here, those concerns are being addressed and more details will come.

How about the changes go to test first? Then you can ignore us again.

Just now, Zaugurz said:

Better late than never. :)

What's the status on blood/potions from uniques once we start killing those? Will they be broken until this rebalance? Or just not dropping/being craftable until then?

The bloods currently drop from the uniques, but are unable to be used in creation of the imbues until the changes are in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kelody said:

How about the changes go to test first? Then you can ignore us again.

You weren't ignored in the first place. We offered a feedback thread, players posted feedback, we agreed there were some legitimate concerns raised, and we've made changes to the feature as a result.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ostentatio said:

You weren't ignored in the first place. We offered a feedback thread, players posted feedback, we agreed there were some legitimate concerns raised, and we've made changes to the feature as a result.

My Main concern is that you don't want to release details of the change until it goes live.  That screams to me that it will be an unfavorable change and you know it.  

• Like 9

Thanks for creating this topic, letting people know what is going on soon. 

Much appreciated 🙂

5 minutes ago, Samool said:

The bloods currently drop from the uniques, but are unable to be used in creation of the imbues until the changes are in.

Thanks for the answer.

12 minutes ago, Eleraan said:

My Main concern is that you don't want to release details of the change until it goes live.  That screams to me that it will be an unfavorable change and you know it.  

I think they need to go straight to release with the update, rather than hash out another round of feedback.  It will always be the same.  Some will like and a lot will dislike/have alternate suggestions.  I know I would :)  Let's just get it going and then if it is just miserable, maybe get another patch down the road.  I'm ready to give just about anything a shot at this point.  I miss my links :(:(

• Like 1

Wurm needs some actual endgame content. cmonnnnnnnnnnnnn. 

Deed levels, monuments that give deed bonuses

dungeons

jackal... SOMETHING!

22 minutes ago, Eleraan said:

It could also be that they might change things along the way.  So even if they did say what they were going to do, it would not mean that, that is what would happen.  Since new infomation comes along all of the time.   I don't think that they would want to keep on coming back and posting that they had changed their minds on so and so.

Much more easy to post more vague infomation, that does not go into detail so that you can change things behind the scenes and then when you bring the changes out, you can then go into detail because they are the final changes.  Then users can provide their feedback on it.  Otherwise if users had their say all the way through the process and if devs were posting each little change then I think that, that would just slow things down and muddy the whole process.

Better to deal with the final product and then refine it afterwards, when users are using it, so that then you get more feedback from users being interactive on a more grand scale.

Yeah, as someone else said - The test server would also be a good place to get feedback before moving forward as well.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 1

@Ostentatio

Might be a good idea to make use of the test server for favor changes, or any change really. Every single game I have played lately uses a public test server(or PTB) for players to test changes and give feedback. IMO, the wurm team doesn't use it enough.

Make use of your loyal player base! It has awesome ideas and you need to use it.

Edited by Rudie
  • Like 10

Call me a pessimist but from what I'm reading here, it sounds more like just releasing stuff that was held back with minor tweaks rather than actual new content. It's been 2 months since launch and there's nothing major in development? That's terrifying.

• Like 13
  • Cat 1

27 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Yes that was the problem, you basically said you would consider things but the system itself would still be going ahead - people don't want that system.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

I think they need to go straight to release with the update, rather than hash out another round of feedback.  It will always be the same.  Some will like and a lot will dislike/have alternate suggestions.  I know I would :)  Let's just get it going and then if it is just miserable, maybe get another patch down the road.  I'm ready to give just about anything a shot at this point.  I miss my links :(:(

Well they obviously are going to go through with it regardless of what feedback they are going to get at this point. It is too close to the patch date to expect any real changes.  Since they are going to go through with it either way but won't give any details that sends up a huge red flag to me.  I'm expecting it to end up being a negative change similar to the link "balance" since they want to hold back any details.  Even more so since they stated it is based on feedback previously given so they have done or appear to have done a lot of thinking into the change.  I was just hoping for a better handling after the way the last several changes have gone over with the community.  

As for taking anything if they say passive favor regen is completely removed but give you favor regen over time from a pool built from sacrificing would you be ok with that?  While not something they mentioned the way the system worked that was a worst case idea that ran through my head reading the old feedback form.   Would you not like to know now and give your opinion if it was such an extreme change?  They've done almost that bad before with no warning. 

The general consensus of the favor balancing feedback in regards to the pool was to scrap it entirely and go with a less obfuscated, non pool based approach.

"This will work off the previously suggested changes to allow a higher pool of pending favor to be prepared, with concerns raised in that feedback thread"

The pool was basically rejected in entirety.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zexos said:

It could also be that they might change things along the way.  So even if they did say what they were going to do, it would not mean that, that is what would happen.  Since new infomation comes along all of the time.   I don't think that they would want to keep on coming back and posting that they had changed their minds on so and so.

Much more easy to post more vague infomation, that does not go into detail so that you can change things behind the scenes and then when you bring the changes out, you can then go into detail because they are the final changes.  Then users can provide their feedback on it.  Otherwise if users had their say all the way through the process and if devs were posting each little change then I think that, that would just slow things down and muddy the whole process.

Better to deal with the final product and then refine it afterwards, when users are using it, so that then you get more feedback from users being interactive on a more grand scale.

Yeah, as someone else said - The test server would also be a good place to get feedback before moving forward as well.

If they are still making changes with less than a handful of days before a patch is expected to release and haven't even finalized the changes then they shouldn't be trying to put them on the live servers.  You are right the test server should be utilized for something like this. 

• Like 3