Sign in to follow this  
Samool

On Things Current

2 minutes ago, Torgrim said:

How about fixing the lag on Xanadu? Gave some input on that in a bug report almost two weeks ago, haven't seen any improvements since then and no feedback on the issue.

Xanadu has some minor lag, that's just how it is.  It's just too big.  Of course, that doesn't stop me (and others) from loving it and playing on it for years. :) Anyway, that is why all the new servers are no bigger than Indy.  Also, the new servers are understandably priority right now.  If it's really bad lag, have you considered it could be a problem with your setup?  I haven't noticed anything unusual there lately...

9 minutes ago, Hypatia said:

-100  Seriously dude???  First, they aren't charging anything for it.  It's all stuff that was too high level (rifts) for new servers, or known to be problematic (favor, source fountains).  Also, this isn't WoW.  It's a very small team working on a game with lots of moving parts, on new servers, with hordes of new players poking at all the old issues.   Plus we are only a couple of months in.  Plus who knows what may be on the table for future development, but it's way too early to talk about yet because they are still dealing with all the new players poking at old issues.  Honestly...  

There's a subscription fee.

Small team is no excuse for this. There are paid developers on the team and it is quite literally their job to provide content for the game. If they aren't, why are they getting paid? I could single handedly provide an expansion-level content update such as Jackal's Return in the course of 4-6 months. They got a ton of players, an influx of money, and could easily expand their team to increase development pace.

If there really is some future development, they need to tell us that. Every comment I see is "we have more to share soon" or "something is coming." Again, call me a pessimist, but I'm sick of it. Just tell the players what you're doing and set their minds at ease. It's so freaking easy to just be honest and instead it feels like a scam or con.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, Hypatia said:

Xanadu has some minor lag, that's just how it is.  It's just too big.  Of course, that doesn't stop me (and others) from loving it and playing on it for years. :) Anyway, that is why all the new servers are no bigger than Indy.  Also, the new servers are understandably priority right now.  If it's really bad lag, have you considered it could be a problem with your setup?  I haven't noticed anything unusual there lately...

I'm not talking in general terms here, this is a specific issue I have reported.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

There's a subscription fee.

Small team is no excuse for this. There are paid developers on the team and it is quite literally their job to provide content for the game. If they aren't, why are they getting paid? I could single handedly provide an expansion-level content update such as Jackal's Return in the course of 4-6 months. They got a ton of players, an influx of money, and could easily expand their team to increase development pace.

If there really is some future development, they need to tell us that. Every comment I see is "we have more to share soon" or "something is coming." Again, call me a pessimist, but I'm sick of it. Just tell the players what you're doing and set their minds at ease. It's so freaking easy to just be honest and instead it feels like a scam or con.

Single-handedly, in 4-6 months, I can rewrite the base code of the space shuttle launch system because I am the king of Assembler.

Of course, I don't do Java, and I don't have a couple hundred mouthy people crawling up my back every day while I try my best to make things better.  I was a GM for almost a decade, and I would argue that no matter what this team is paid its not nearly enough for the garbage they have to sort through on the daily.  An open world sand box game is an evolving concept and you should get that if you play it.  Asking the devs to say "what will milking look like in 2023" is just silly.  We probably have the most attentive and involved dev team that we have had in years, and I would guess the whiteboard in that room looks like Ramses' tomb.  The communication over the past few years has been astounding, and while I have had my concerns in the past about any number of things, this group we have now is busting their *ss for this community.

/flagging my own post for being ornery

//wait I can't do that anymore

///not a paid advertisement

• Like 10

57 minutes ago, Tamorlane said:

Single-handedly, in 4-6 months, I can rewrite the base code of the space shuttle launch system because I am the king of Assembler.

Of course, I don't do Java, and I don't have a couple hundred mouthy people crawling up my back every day while I try my best to make things better.  I was a GM for almost a decade, and I would argue that no matter what this team is paid its not nearly enough for the garbage they have to sort through on the daily.  An open world sand box game is an evolving concept and you should get that if you play it.  Asking the devs to say "what will milking look like in 2023" is just silly.  We probably have the most attentive and involved dev team that we have had in years, and I would guess the whiteboard in that room looks like Ramses' tomb.  The communication over the past few years has been astounding, and while I have had my concerns in the past about any number of things, this group we have now is busting their *ss for this community.

/flagging my own post for being ornery

//wait I can't do that anymore

///not a paid advertisement

Definitely agree the current team is far better than the past, especially when it was basically just rolf.

I will blatantly disagree with the current level of communication being good (unless it's just being compared to old comms,). Can't speak to how hard they're working because I obviously don't know, but the mount of information we have to yank out of the dev's mouths because either Retro doesn't know (which he might just legitimately not know, he's not a dev) or doesn't realize people want to know is frankly insane. See back to the entire 'channel exploiting' clown fiesta where all he needed to do was make the same post he did nearly a month after the original update earlier.

Or, you know- anyone could've just said "hey the spawning system was so bad we basically needed to rewrite the entire code" for the spawning issues instead of just "we're looking at it" for weeks

Recently learned the devs are only contracted part time, so that explains quite a lot of the slowness- im sure they have other jobs on the side. That just means that instead of being upset at the devs, i'm upset at whoever manages the entire game and company because they don't even have full time devs working on such a massive scale game.

Edited by RainRain

23 hours ago, Samool said:

We’re working on further improving the new UI and addressing the common complaints before removing the old UI client

Why? Just...why?

Stop taking choices away from players.

• Like 2

I love you all for introducing me to this game through Steam.

I hate you all for introducing me to this game through Steam.

NB. I had heard about Wurm before, had researched it, and figured it wasn't for me (as late as 2019). The hate stems from you proving me wrong and also not simultaneously creating extra hours in a RL day to play. ;P

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Dinant said:

Why? Just...why?

Stop taking choices away from players.

My guess the old client is a mess that is held together with duct tape and bailing wire... and a rewrite is the best path forward. That is just a guess though, I suppose it is possible that the devs lay awake at night trying to figure out what will upset the playerbase the most.

• Cat 2

Clearly it's the second option.

Mind you I'm still mad they got rid of the old client that was actually low memory. Getting super tired of the memory leaks.

Not everyone wants fancy graphics, The lowest graphics on the new client are about even with the fanciest on the old client. I miss my old low quality client.

• Like 2

Do we wonder why devs are reluctant to share what they are working on/towards?

Talk about damned if you, damned if you don't.....

Let me 'splain.... no.   'splaining will take too long...    Let me sum up.

If the devs release a change without prior discussion, that's bad because there should be discussion.  If they start talking about how they plan to let us know what they plan to think about doing, that's bad because they should just hurry up and do it.  

My, we are a malcontented bunch.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, azuleslight said:

its only after 2 months do they even attempt to address the kingdom coffer issue. I've played everyday and never once was their coin in harm(when i checked). I've been told you guy connected all the servers coffers to make it easier to manage. In doing so you borked ALL the servers coffers. Then i was told by a reliable source that you had no intentions of fixing it and that you were just going to wait for all servers to hit 1 month to sync cycles. It appears that these unconfirmed rumors were true. As it's lining up exactly as they said it would. So what will you be offering in tangible recompense? i don't need, nor want sleep bonus, i already have a bed and sleep powder. How about you let US choose in the form of Marks, Karma, or sleep bonus...wont cost you a thing and you'll keep already pissed people happy(ish).

Actually, marks instead of sleep bonus would be nice.  Yes, please, switch "compensation" to marks instead of sleep.  People can still buy sleep powder with the marks if that is what they want (and it also create an easy peasy exchange rate to work out how many marks to give).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheTrickster said:

Do we wonder why devs are reluctant to share what they are working on/towards?

Talk about damned if you, damned if you don't.....

Let me 'splain.... no.   'splaining will take too long...    Let me sum up.

If the devs release a change without prior discussion, that's bad because there should be discussion.  If they start talking about how they plan to let us know what they plan to think about doing, that's bad because they should just hurry up and do it.  

My, we are a malcontented bunch.

It happens, and that's okay! 

Quite honestly, it's usually different people, and people will always have a differing view from each other. 

We will continue to do our best in sharing what we can, and improving there is something I will always strive for. 

At the end of the day, sometimes number tweaks can be announced in patch notes, but major changes to how you play are always good to get feedback on 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dinant said:

Clearly it's the second option.

Mind you I'm still mad they got rid of the old client that was actually low memory. Getting super tired of the memory leaks.

Not everyone wants fancy graphics, The lowest graphics on the new client are about even with the fanciest on the old client. I miss my old low quality client.

I understand your concerns, and can confirm that the old client seems to be somewhat leaner and faster, especially on weaker and older boxes.

But mind that there may, and almost certainly have been some architectural changes in the new client, which is why there is a new client, and not just a set of new options for the old one. The consequence is that there are two different development branches which would have to be maintained into all future once one keeps the old client as an option. That would mean a lot of extra work, and fairly useless one. Moreover, possibly some changes could not be introduced altogether to keep both clients compatible. I have come across legacy software compatibility maintenance in some fields, and it can be a real pain.

It would be good if some kind of lightweight option of the client could be provided in the future, maybe a tested standard low settings option set other than "default". That one, btw. crashes some of my boxes unless water detail is tweaked down to at most medium since a few weeks (still exploringthe issue).

13 hours ago, Kelody said:

This was fixed a couple years ago.

Great to hear :)

tyvm 

On 9/23/2020 at 4:59 PM, SmeJack said:

The wording in that thread closure already made it clear the idea would go ahead regardless of noone supporting it, please dont add another convoluted system with 'pending favor' there are other great alternatives in there.  I know some people find it hard to let go of a bad idea when they spent time on it but bad is bad. Please.

I would have to agree, I REALLY do appreciate all the work and thought that went into it and even more the open lines of communication regarding new idea's, its something this game has been severely lacking on over the years and its REALLY nice to see that changing over the last few months. That said don't think your seeing the forest thru the trees here, in regards to the favor change.

Most of the other changes im on board with, looking forward to seeing some changes to source fountains. Thank you and keep up the good work and open lines of communication @Samool@Ostentatio!

- VirusMD

I totally understand removing the old client.  Imagine a car.  You start upgrading pieces of it and decide it is time to do the wheels.  You know for the whole car to go faster, you need to move from 14 inch wheels to 20 inch.  You can't just upgrade 3 of the 4 wheels to 20.  Have to go all in and remove that 14 inch option we used to have.

However, if you put everyone on one unified client, please take some time to optimize it and remove the massive memory leak/bloat issue that is constantly complained about.  When I minimize one of my clients for an extended period of time (sermon listener), their RAM use will double within a day.  Doing nothing.  Just sitting there, staring at the floor.

• Like 2

Also, with the updates, can you address the Mag surface mining spell?  This spell is of very limited use and should have been so much more, ot help balance Mag enchants with other priests.  You start on a new server and wish for that spell so much!  However, nobody can cast it.  First thing everyone does is focus on the most important priests: Vyn and Lib.  Gotta get those skill gains!  Next Fo, to get the LT.  Finally we can focus on Mag's mining spell, but wait... the mining alts are all grown up now and meh... every day the Mag spell is worth less and less.

It is so disappointing.  I wanted to like it.

Of course I understand why moving into the future you would want a single unified client. But we've already got a new client, we've had two new clients in fact.

If you can't get a client right then don't remove working ones until you actually do have it right.

Do remember that I specifically don't want new features to the client, that's exactly my whole point. Don't update it at all, but there's no need to remove it until whatever version of new client you're working on isn't a buggy mess.

Edit: The only UI change I'm remotely interested in, is bringing back the in game wurmpedia.

Edited by Dinant

instead of more and more sleep bonus how about also offering an additional discount on monthly subscriptions for us that paid for the first two months and lost out on those crucial first couple of days?  I would rather have the discounted months to keep people playing.

On 9/24/2020 at 3:13 AM, Ostentatio said:

You weren't ignored in the first place. We offered a feedback thread, players posted feedback, we agreed there were some legitimate concerns raised, and we've made changes to the feature as a result.

Can we get some input about dye suggestions that were made after our short chat in PM? Because honestly I feel ignored. 😞

On 9/23/2020 at 10:14 PM, wipeout said:

There is this thing called a test server that has been up for years and often ignored USE IT god dammit its there to TEST things throw any mechanic reworks or new features onto the test server a few weeks ahead of time(once you reached a proper stable state for the mechanic) and publicly announce it in a forum post what new mechanics are introduced  to the test server and invite people to join and even leave a simple "how to connect to the test server" in the post as well and also explain in the post the mechanic that you added

Good god man, punctuation!!!!!

• Like 1

Wurm staff, not sure how you all handle it so well, but always fight for what you think is right, even when there's so much misdirected hate and grief floating around!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2020 at 11:31 AM, Retrograde said:

This is not the roadmap, that is coming. 

This is addressing the issues raised across the forums and in-game over the past few weeks. 

It's not that this has taken this much work, at the same time we've been working on server migration, the actual roadmap, and advertising as well. The goal of this post is keeping you all in the loop of where we're at and answering "what about x?" before the roadmap is revealed. 

The roadmap is separate and includes our goals for the future of Wurm too, which means the content and overhauls that you are asking about. 

I understand, and while you are correct in those things, i still think that it's pathetic that adding something as simple and non trivial as the option to go to Defiance from the tutorial took/taking this long, and actually had to be announced as an upcoming feature.

Also i feel like that instead of a flat out 10h sleepbonus, giving us loyalty marks that we can choose to spend on whatever we'd like (possibly the equivalent of 10 sleep powders) would be much better. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, atazs said:

I understand, and while you are correct in those things, i still think that it's pathetic that adding something as simple and non trivial as the option to go to Defiance from the tutorial took/taking this long, and actually had to be announced as an upcoming feature.

Also i feel like that instead of a flat out 10h sleepbonus, giving us loyalty marks that we can choose to spend on whatever we'd like (possibly the equivalent of 10 sleep powders) would be much better. 

No.

I want that fat skillgain bonus :D

Actually there are several things they could do here...

Like adding new content, and more new content, and more n....Even the promise of new content is better than ''hey remember how launch was painful, yeah sleep bonus will fix it''

I dont understand how sindusk was able to provide almost weekly NEW content to WU server that was exciting and fresh and WO takes ALOT longer. I dont understand. 

The loyalty marks is a nice feature, that almost feels like pay to win on pve buying tomes.. almost ruins the interest in public slayings.

14 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Also, with the updates, can you address the Mag surface mining spell?  This spell is of very limited use and should have been so much more, ot help balance Mag enchants with other priests.  

Oh come on now...  You should know how this works by now; wurm's priests will never be balanced or buffed XD