Sign in to follow this  
Samool

On Things Current

@Sinduskthey did say they would release the full future roadmap soon. So i'm sure everything will be explained then aswell. Lets wait it out id say

TLDR summary:

We have in impending fix for coffers and missions. We are going ahead with our widely denounced plans to re-balance favor with some modification. We do not yet have granular details on the reintroduction of moonmetals, rifts, and imbues. 

10 Hr sleep bonus. These are the fixes you are looking for. Carry on.

• Like 3

I'm reminded of how Hollywood releases movies..

If they know it's a great movie, they'll let people watch it in limited release and make sure word of mouth gets out.

If they know it's a stinker they won't even let reviewers watch it ahead of time and instead just dump it on an unsuspecting audience.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Eleraan said:

Well they obviously are going to go through with it regardless of what feedback they are going to get at this point. It is too close to the patch date to expect any real changes.  Since they are going to go through with it either way but won't give any details that sends up a huge red flag to me.  I'm expecting it to end up being a negative change similar to the link "balance" since they want to hold back any details.  Even more so since they stated it is based on feedback previously given so they have done or appear to have done a lot of thinking into the change.  I was just hoping for a better handling after the way the last several changes have gone over with the community.  

As for taking anything if they say passive favor regen is completely removed but give you favor regen over time from a pool built from sacrificing would you be ok with that?  While not something they mentioned the way the system worked that was a worst case idea that ran through my head reading the old feedback form.   Would you not like to know now and give your opinion if it was such an extreme change?  They've done almost that bad before with no warning. 

Honestly, I'm just going to adapt to whatever they end up doing.  I was really frustrated and felt like rage quitting on the battery fiasco.  I'd just made a bunch of batteries.  But I didn't.  I went ahead and just adapted to what they did.  It was crippling, but being a priest is crippling from the start, so...  Next up with favor, it will be hard to really make it any worse that it is right now.  I really just want to play with it and see how it feels. (don't say that out loud at work)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wurmhole said:

Honestly, I'm just going to adapt to whatever they end up doing.  I was really frustrated and felt like rage quitting on the battery fiasco.  I'd just made a bunch of batteries.  But I didn't.  I went ahead and just adapted to what they did.  It was crippling, but being a priest is crippling from the start, so...  Next up with favor, it will be hard to really make it any worse that it is right now.  I really just want to play with it and see how it feels. (don't say that out loud at work)

Fair enough.  But isn't that what the test server is for?  And no player should have to feel resigned to settle for them making things worse with changes... shouldn't even have to resign themselves to playing like that.  That is some Stockholm syndrome sounding comment >.>  Blink twice if you are being held against your will! 

• Like 2

As a new Steam player, this has been a learning experience of what’s tolerable in both gameplay experience progression and the monetary cost of maintaining that progression. I still don’t understand why people would subject themselves to a game they sound genuinely miserable playing/paying for when they know what to expect out of the development team. 

I started on Steam launch day an excited 15 player village of mixed previous players and new players. It wasn’t the action queue grind of skilling up or the limits of the Java graphics and limited server capacity performance that quickly lost the new player enthusiasm. It was the premium  monthly cost of having a subscription and deed fee at a much higher cost than any of the popular MMORPG’s. This alone made people quit. 

We are down to 4 weekly players in my village now. Many of our neighbors have quit and the villages continuing in our area are unable to recruit because the player base keeps dwindling. 

This is a niche game and a small but passionate community and will always be because what I outlined. It sounds like Wurm has heard all of this many times before and are completely okay with it.

Edited by Zander

5 minutes ago, Zander said:

As a new Steam player, this has been a learning experience of what’s tolerable in both gameplay experience progression and the monetary cost of maintaining that progression. I still don’t understand why people would subject themselves to a game they sound genuinely miserable playing/paying for when they know what to expect out of the development team. 

I started on Steam launch day an excited 15 player village of mixed previous players and new players. It wasn’t the action queue grind of skilling up or the limits of the Java graphics and limited server capacity performance that quickly lost the new player enthusiasm. It was the premium  monthly cost of having a subscription and deed fee at a much higher cost than any of the popular MMORPG’s. This alone made people quit. 

We are down to 4 weekly players in my village now. Many of our neighbors have quit and the villages continuing in our area are unable to recruit because the player base keeps dwindling. 

This is a niche game and a small but passionate community and will always be because what I outlined. It sounds like Wurm has heard all of this many times before.

I really have no idea what you are talking about but.... 7.99€ per Month for premium is cheaper than any other Sub-based MMO out there....

It is for sure not the Cost that make Players quit, it is the grind for Months to get skills up.

Edited by Caduryn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

Call me a pessimist but from what I'm reading here, it sounds more like just releasing stuff that was held back with minor tweaks rather than actual new content. It's been 2 months since launch and there's nothing major in development? That's terrifying.

LITERALLY why i played on your WU server... all the NEW content uploaded almost weekly there at one stage. Problem with that server is it was too fast, to which you agreed. 

NEW content is what drives people to play longer. And many other things.. fix a few things here and there, add something new, rinse and repeat

36 minutes ago, Zander said:

It was the premium  monthly cost of having a subscription and deed fee at a much higher cost than any of the popular MMORPG’s. This alone made people quit. 

This is a niche game and a small but passionate community and will always be because what I outlined. It sounds like Wurm has heard all of this many times before and are completely okay with it.

^^

Yes they have all heard this before

No they dont seem to care, or dont know how to fix this :)

33 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

I really have no idea what you are talking about but.... 7.99€ per Month for premium is cheaper than any other Sub-based MMO out there....

It is for sure not the Cost that make Players quit, it is the grind for Months to get skills up.

FYI Australians literally pay almost double in sub costs due to currency exchange. And most of us are living off government pension due to corona virus. :)

• Like 3

There is this thing called a test server that has been up for years and often ignored USE IT god dammit its there to TEST things throw any mechanic reworks or new features onto the test server a few weeks ahead of time(once you reached a proper stable state for the mechanic) and publicly announce it in a forum post what new mechanics are introduced  to the test server and invite people to join and even leave a simple "how to connect to the test server" in the post as well and also explain in the post the mechanic that you added

That way anyone who is actually interested in the mechanic be it for or against it will go check it out to see how good or bad it is vs how they believe it is and they get to play around with it for a bit and give feedback and maybe find bugs to fix

I have said this countless times but every time this push towards you guys gets traction you guys do it once or maybe twice and then stop doing it and 99% of the time stuff that does make it onto test isnt told to anyone that it has so no one knows when to get on in order to test those mechanics with a wide audience to make sure its less buggy then before so please just use the dam test server for every big change or small change to a mechanic/new feature

And just incase this gets buried in other posts the below should hopefully catch your attention
USE TEST SERVER PLOX

7 hours ago, Zander said:

We love the game there really isnt anything like it out there that gives such an skill and crafting system with a emphasis on your changes mattering without silly limitations(life is fuedal and others like it) if there was a game that did what wurm offered i really do think a lot of people would jump ship for that and every time a game that promises to be close enough comes out a lot do jump over but they come back because either the skill system is screwed over(lif) or the terraforming resets or has some silly mechanic that forces the player to log in and grind daily in order to try and keep their place from being destroyed(looking at you boundless) or something else that just limits the freedom that wurm gives
Players overall where in the past a lot happier with how development went with the game if a feature was added(which sometimes they where on a whim on a friday and taken out on a monday) that people did not like they spoke up and where listened to a great example is dodging based on fat % in theory a nice idea but badly implemented that meant that you had to starve yourself to be able to fight(and not get skill)
But such features would either be taken out and never return or taken out and tweaked or they would be thrown on the test server and be announced for testing(boats and bridges the rifts priest overhaul and so on) but people genuinely love the game sure there are some aspects they would want changed but generally speaking they just love it and its why they are so vocal when simple systems that just work that need no to minor changes(or changes undone because miss understood bugs -.- looking at you linking) get revamped because "yolo i have an idea i wanna implement this idea even though there is a very vocal group against it im still going to do it anyway" so we remain vocal as its yet another reason why the hate for the dev team grows in long time players as features and systems get revamped and made more difficult for no reason other then a dev wanting to make a change to it and players getting annoyed at it time and time again and things are just left ignored

The other reason why players are vocal in such posts is that the suggestion forum is like facebook's "help center" it exists but its not used by the staff sure 99% of the features posted up wont make it into the game even if it was used but that 1% of suggestions could but even now dont because everything there is ignored as stated in some different words that pretty much mean that by some devs in the past they dont really look towards it for new feature idea's instead just come up with stuff on a whim and start tinkering with it and if they like it they will try to shove it so hard until it gets added to the game and then they will defend it even if the playerbase hates it but this really does come from a lack of having staff in the right places because the dev team itself doesnt have much of a structure when it comes to creative things
Yes we got developers yes we got art devs yes we got a guy working on the server yes we got a head dev but a dedicated project leader who's sole purpose it is to go over idea's presented and to try and envision how wurm is supposed to look based on the ideas passed down by the owner? such a person hasnt ever been in the wurm team from the start of it existing it used to just be the 2 original creators who did everything and then when more help was needed people where just brought in with little to no structure where every dev is on equal footing and now the head of the team is technically gone and only the head dev is there but no one to oversea the general flow of the game to push the devs into a certain direction so that they can all work on those idea's those goals together so they all pretty much do their own thing for the most part

That is why people are so vocal the team when looking from the outside in seems like a lost chicken wandering around doing things here and there but never really getting anywhere and the things that get done sometimes go against the nature of the mechanic they are changing to such a point people just need to speek up
But give it time you will get used to us rambling about features we dont like and getting ignored by the devs and those features still going ahead it took us only 5+ years to get them to start posting "upcoming pvp changes" topics to talk about what changes are going to happen to pvp and the idea of roadmaps has always been a scary one for them as it means they need to show their flow which isnt really there but hey as vocal as we are we still love the game and still support the devs every time we need to so its more like your weird uncle rambling about family issues you either join in with him or you just ignore him but he is always going to be there at every family dinner/gathering :)

Edited by Retrograde
you accidentally made some text big
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Drastox said:

FYI Australians literally pay almost double in sub costs due to currency exchange. And most of us are living off government pension due to corona virus. :)

FxFc5Hx.png 

R3PiazB.png

Still cheaper then wow as you can see even if you add in the 5s every 5 months for upkeep(if you have a small deed) it still comes out cheaper(5s is 11.93nzd atm) at 82.48nzd every 6 months(reason i state 5s every 5 is because if you go hunting and foraging you should be able to make atleast 1s in that 5 month period for your deed)

So still 37.46nzd cheaper then a wow sub or anything else so people who quit over the prem time price+silver dont realize just how expensive other games just are to run and are too used to f2p games with a cash show(i spend more on league of legends in half the amount of time that i have played then i have spend on wurm since its launch it is league wurm poe as my 3 big spenders)

• Like 1

We gonna have an opportunity to test for exploits before launch of the new features?

• Like 3

Hrm...

Well that favour feedback thread was well hidden and short lived!

Honestly, its a big change that will no doubt need a lot of tweaking.  The slowdown in natural regeneration has already been a kick in the teeth; this change would have to counter-balance that to even return to the status quo.

Essentially, to manage fast casting, you're going to need to bank a lot of favor.  But if you do so you're probably going to waste a lot if you're casting spells like LT over a long casting period as you'll be burning banked favour during the cast time.

6 hours ago, Sindusk said:

Call me a pessimist but from what I'm reading here, it sounds more like just releasing stuff that was held back with minor tweaks rather than actual new content. It's been 2 months since launch and there's nothing major in development? That's terrifying.

What bothers me.. is that after putting the game on steam, the "promotion" of the game ends here.

3 hours ago, Melros said:

We gonna have an opportunity to test for exploits before launch of the new features?

Do you plan to report found exploits or just preparing a sleeve aces to use later?

6 minutes ago, Votip said:

so 0 new content? time to abandon sinking ship

7 hours ago, Samool said:

Hello!

Since things have been quiet from us for a while, we thought we’d update you with the list of things that we’re currently working on addressing. This is not the longer term roadmap (which we intend on sharing very soon, most likely next week), but a status on the outstanding issues that we’ll have fixes out for soon.

And to reiterate, a full roadmap disclosing some of our longer-term plans for Wurm (regarding all the servers, not just Northern Freedom Isles) will be up on the forums very soon - for now though, I hope this post clears up the current situation.

Thanks for the update! (no sarcasm)

It's simply wise to rebalance things in North that have proven problematic in the South. Glad to see that on the priority list.

However...

Regarding the favor reworks.

From that feedback thread you should have read out - don't make things more complicated. It was the basic, successive idea through most of the replies in that thread.

Now we learn the rework is still coming as planned. You may have tweaked a few things in the original design based off the replies, but in general you still did what you wanted and the public majority opinion "this is not needed, keep it simple" was disregarded.

At that point, why even ask for feedback... could just make the changes as you see fit and then fix/balance the problems after having it in public TEST server for a while. But now, as I understand, it comes with a bang to live servers, with a label Done*.

In my humble opinion, you just created a cheap "we wanted to be transparent, we had a thread" excuse for later to point at.

* Feedback thread closing note was:

"Several valid concerns were raised with the proposed changes, so we'll definitely be making some adjustments to them. We promise that these concerns will absolutely be taken into consideration prior to any changes actually being implemented."

This proves the original idea had flaws that you had missed. How many flaws in the adjusted version would you find through feedback? Are you in a hurry? Will the issues and consequences be easier to fix once it has been released?

Food for thought.

Edited by Shmeric
  • Like 1

Great but none of this seem any new or exciting and there is literally 0 new content? Nothing about Jackal?

These things that you mentioned, most of them should have been included right at the start.

I mean to go to Defiance from the tutorial, giving us 10h sleepbonus and fixing the coffers requires this much work that we need to wait months? Hell, being able to go to Defiance from the tutorial should have been included at launch or at the very least, quickly hotfixed.

Edited by atazs

1 hour ago, Miket said:

Road map is not a new content :)

In wurm it almost is.

21 minutes ago, atazs said:

Great but none of this seem any new or exciting and there is literally 0 new content? Nothing about Jackal?

These things that you mentioned, most of them should have been included right at the start.

I mean to go to Defiance from the tutorial, giving us 10h sleepbonus and fixing the coffers requires this much work that we need to wait months? Hell, being able to go to Defiance from the tutorial should have been included at launch or at the very least, quickly hotfixed.

This is not the roadmap, that is coming. 

This is addressing the issues raised across the forums and in-game over the past few weeks. 

It's not that this has taken this much work, at the same time we've been working on server migration, the actual roadmap, and advertising as well. The goal of this post is keeping you all in the loop of where we're at and answering "what about x?" before the roadmap is revealed. 

The roadmap is separate and includes our goals for the future of Wurm too, which means the content and overhauls that you are asking about. 

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

9 hours ago, Samool said:

but are unable to be used in creation of the imbues until the changes are in.

are you gonna post the changes beforehand or is it just gonna get dropped on us 30 minutes before the patch

• Like 1

Just another quick personal opinion. Wurm does not need new content every 2nd month.

Fixing some critical and/or long term annoying issues would be much more appreciated.

Animal spawns and disembarking bugs jump up and down on suggestion and bug forums, for example, effortlessly not getting enough attention.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Samool said:

Source fountains
We’re working on changing this mechanic a bit before reintroducing it to the new servers, mostly to avoid the claiming of those as has happened on other servers.

Does this means of finally getting rid of thise random shacks, or that would apply on the north freedom only?

• Like 2