Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

PvP Discussion #3

+1 for finding away to increase skillgain on pvp. If pve people complain, they can come over and grind on Defiance. More gains = more danger, it will create more targets for pvp.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, Sovos said:

Not a bad angle on the surface, but even ignoring that most people are Vyn for the skillgain, it would still mean WL kingdoms would be getting more Rite casts than BL ones. I guess you could balance that out by just making them give sleep powder to everyone online, but at that point why even have the Rites in the first place?

WL are split up into 3 different deities, and most are NOT vyn, the majority of the pvpers are mag/fo with casters being vyn and grinders being vyn

BL is literally 100% lib

17 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

WL are split up into 3 different deities, and most are NOT vyn, the majority of the pvpers are mag/fo with casters being vyn and grinders being vyn

BL is literally 100% lib

talking about freedom and if rites were global instead of map based, in which case most ppl are WL and specifically vyn

7 minutes ago, RainRain said:

talking about freedom and if rites were global instead of map based, in which case most ppl are WL and specifically vyn

I must have missed that, sorry. getting a bit late here 

I really hope the devs can see the difference between an incentive and a punishment. Imagine having a family member on pve but you live and spend most of your time on pvp "Sorry Sis, I cant come and help you with that 5 min task" "No sorry I cant spend the day with you showing you how to have fun in this game" why? she asks, because they added an "incentive" to keep people playing on the pvp server, a bonus that builds up the longer you stay on pvp but wipes when you cross to pve...

Edited by SmeJack
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

I really hope the devs can see the difference between an incentive and a punishment. Imagine having a family member on pve but you live and spend most of your time on pvp "Sorry Sis, I cant come and help you with that 5 min task" "No sorry I cant spend the day with you showing you how to have fun in this game" why? she asks, because they added an "incentive" to keep people playing on the pvp server, a bonus that builds up the longer you stay on pvp but wipes when you cross to pve...

Incentive, thing that motivates or encourages someone to do something.

Punishment, the infliction or imposition of a penalty as retribution for an offence.

Seems that would be an incentive not a punishment. A punishment would be giving you a nerf for leaving. Instead you're just not receiving the incentive for leaving.

Which in turn is a punishment by putting you at a disadvantage, people shouldn't have to second guess helping out a family member when they spend 95% of their time on pvp just because some others think that their way to play is the only acceptable way.

Edited by SmeJack

1 minute ago, SmeJack said:

Which in turn is a punishment by putting you at a disadvantage, people shouldn't have to second guess helping out a family member when they spend 95% of their time on pvp just because some others think that their way to play is the only acceptable way.

Yeah, probably better to just make it a fixed bonus. I'd like to see way more bonuses for roaming too. Like hunting giving sleep bonus. Doing activities in enemy influence giving sleep bonus. Grinding skills off deed giving a bonus. Give a skillgain bonus the further you are from your kingdom influence. So many ways to incentives people getting out there.

1 hour ago, warrior said:

Yeah, probably better to just make it a fixed bonus. I'd like to see way more bonuses for roaming too. Like hunting giving sleep bonus. Doing activities in enemy influence giving sleep bonus. Grinding skills off deed giving a bonus. Give a skillgain bonus the further you are from your kingdom influence. So many ways to incentives people getting out there.

that doesnt work in practice. people would use enemy kingdom alts to set themself up in a perfect skilling enviroment.

i mean you can just have the skill bonus only work on defiance and the concept still works anyways

• Like 1

Can we just get the 30% skill bonus we had the first few weeks back on defiance? :D

• Like 5

brining back old tower capping it made me go out and cap stuff you know?

4 hours ago, AceRifle said:

brining back old tower capping it made me go out and cap stuff you know?

that's a really bad mechanic
I don't know if you are a good troll or just unironically suggest the worst stuff, consistently.

I am curious what the developer takeaway from the thread so far is though, even if it doesn't all get changed or touched on. 

Edited by Groot

I am currently writing up a list of proposed changes to help with issues people have brought up, will post it within the next few days for everyone to pick apart but I have been following this thread closely.  Thank you everyone for the great feedback so far.

• Like 5

There are a lot of really bad and really weird suggestions here. Please share things you guys are thinking of changing.

• Like 1

Doubling down on the "make another BL god and split combat spells and aggressive stuff to it, while having libila primarily be all about zombies/healing/enchants".

And y'know, since Libila is trying to revive the Wurm in order to destroy the world it'd be a perfect candidate especially since hots has won defiance :)

The goal of course is that since BL no longer only has one god, we can have Libila individually be weaker and not have every spell in the book (to make up for being the only god HoTS can follow), and also make place for two classes of HoTS priests: Offensive, mag-like priests that are all about dealing damage, destroying things and whatever (Wurm), and Supportive, vyn/fo like priests which handle enchants, zombies and unholy healing.

Edited by RainRain

8 hours ago, Zao said:

There are a lot of really bad and really weird suggestions here. Please share things you guys are thinking of changing.

We will be posting a list of changes for people to discuss before anything is final.

• Like 1

Heal resistance doesn't seem to work for scorn of lib and light of fo, it can be cast back to back and fully heal the same person. Should also take a look on how much scorn is healing in total when there's a lot of enemies that can be hit since it increases the wounds healed per enemy hit.

What do the good folk in here think about partial loot? Perhaps drop a set amount of items based on the total value of items and weight, so moonmetal equipment and uniques, rare equipment etc have a high chance of dropping while things which usually just end up in a stockpile like regular armor and weapons only drop partially.

And traditional hota like 3d50cc9972.jpg

And depots, perhaps a depot that moves every time similar to the current hota system except it releases a beam like the white and blacklight 24 hours before it spawns.

Maybe even a battleground type event that pve can join too, portal to a temporary server with capture the flag.
A chance to gain the challenge items and with its own ranking system, even if it's not in the spirit of wurm it would be fun. F. U. N.

Could be interesting to test minedoors not opening again, assuming they're easier to bash and possible to lockpick.

At the end of the day, anything that gives incentives to make it more fun or rewarding to go out and pvp is good because at the current state there's not much to pvp except pvp itself, and it doesn't seem that pvp by itself is lucrative for enough people right now. Epic had its valrei system with items and godhood, chaos had its profit motive with selling moonmetals and kingdom cosmetics to freedom etc.

Sponsored by

3 minutes ago, Darklords said:

We will be posting a list of changes for people to discuss before anything is final.

Wow that's awesome. Thanks, appreciate it!

Another possibly unpopular opinion, but make it two kingdoms like it was yearrrrrrrrrrs ago. But simply rename the kingdoms White Light and Black Light. Populations won't be as split up. Give both new tower models. New kingdom titles. It's technically never to late to do it on Defiance. Or just have a server vote (those are still a thing I believe).

4 minutes ago, Carmichael said:

Another possibly unpopular opinion, but make it two kingdoms like it was yearrrrrrrrrrs ago. But simply rename the kingdoms White Light and Black Light. Populations won't be as split up. Give both new tower models. New kingdom titles. It's technically never to late to do it on Defiance. Or just have a server vote (those are still a thing I believe).

I think the issue you're going to find with that is then you're really going to make this a numbers game. What if one kingdom has 60 players, and the other 150+. It's going to be very hard for that smaller kingdom to turn things around, and ever  equally match in fights. In a perfect world where there are thousands of players a kingdom versus kingdom game makes sense, but in Wurm's population it would only really make one side the loser extremely fast. 

• Cat 1

2 minutes ago, Postes said:

I think the issue you're going to find with that is then you're really going to make this a numbers game. What if one kingdom has 60 players, and the other 150+. It's going to be very hard for that smaller kingdom to turn things around, and ever  equally match in fights. In a perfect world where there are thousands of players a kingdom versus kingdom game makes sense, but in Wurm's population it would only really make one side the loser extremely fast. 

True, but I feel like it would eventually start changing with PMK's being re-added at some point. Therefore a whole dynamic change. 

Edited by Carmichael

I also don't think original hota should be added. Would be nice to see a weekly event that promoted pvp on a larger scale, but original hota was bad and really defeats this whole "land control" style of gameplay like Chaos used to be.

On chaos it meant that a good 85% of the map was useless to deed, hold and live in.

Slap a hota in the middle as is, probably not so bad.

Slap a hota in the middle and then decide a year from now you're going to allow PMKs, when the server has developed, and there's no room on the edge of hota, because the meta is just deed the edges, then you have a pretty stupid problem that's already happened before. Oh, but except instead of making established deeds almost not removable without overwhelming numbers, it's completely impossible without it.

• Like 2