Sign in to follow this  
VelvetSun

[BUG] Archaeology not working properly on sand

I have found that I am not able to investigate at all on large flat sand tile areas. Always says "The area looks picked clean."

So these tiles are not refreshing as they should be.

If you would like to check it out there are two large areas behind the Samiling spawn site.

It's actually all sand tiles ?

Edited by VelvetSun

"This area looks picked clean" is all you get on all sand tiles.

This can obviously not be correct. Judging by that logic, any desert would be void of any archaeological findings. Egypt, anyone?

I am able to investigate on cobblestone, slabs, all kinds of ridiculously large roads and paved areas, even farmed and growing fields. But sand is a no-no?

And before anyone asks: No, it's not recently picked. I've skimmed huge coastal areas and have never once found a sand tile that worked.

If sand is indeed unwanted as a target for archaeology, and the devs are unwilling to allow investigating these for whatever unknown reason, then at least disable the ability to even try, as it serves no purpose.

(As a sidenote, tasting the dirt at least gives a funny message)

Edited by Pandalet
  • Like 1

Strange, most of my archaeology is done on the sand of a long dead deed on xanadu. No issues getting frags.

Oh? I don't find any on Harmony, NFI.

Sounds like it's more of a bug or oddity then, rathe than an oversight.

i seen the problem, and tried those tiles everyday for weeks, always picked clean on sand until i changed them to dirt, then i started getting fragments.

13 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

i seen the problem, and tried those tiles everyday for weeks, always picked clean on sand until i changed them to dirt, then i started getting fragments.

That is simply a workaround which does not address the problem for sand tiles.

I'll request moving this thread to the bugs section as I think this thread would be more fitting there.

i didnt say that to mean this shouldnt be fixed, i said that because obviously if turning it into dirt solved it, that means it really was the sand that was the problem and not that it was really always picked clean.

yeah sand can be investigated once and then it never regenerates, very odd bug. i assume it's using the foraging code and since sand can't be foraged it doesn't regenerate?

all the cool kids do archaeology at the bottom of the ocean anyway

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

Moved to server bugs - there are a few things at play here, but the net result is bugged behaviour.

bump. this has been happening to rock, large sections for me have been all investigated once then don't respawn

Edited by Oblivionnreaver

I mentioned rock when there was the big archaeology overhaul, guess it got missed or broken.

I did fix sand but I don't think investigating solid rock makes any sense. Not saying lore holds up in most situations but lore wise there doesn't seem to be a way short of volcanic flows going over a village that fragments could go into rock and excavating them with a trowel or shovel doesn't make sense as those tools can't operate on rock normally. Searching the rock once makes sense to me as you're just seeing if anything is laying on the surface. Beyond that you'd basically be mining to find fragments which wouldn't produce any results because there's no way for stuff to get in there. Obviously the lore is a little moot because you can just toss some dirt on it and suddenly it's got fragments in it, but that's my thoughts on it.

Not a bug in my opinion.