Sign in to follow this  
phennexion

Sooo... What is Wurm doing now?

Okay Wurm Dev Team,

You've made a ton of money and had a huge influx of players in the past couple months, we're are seeing standard Wurm new server attrition because PvE doesn't have an end game and ya'll havent opened another Jackal yet. 

So what are you doing different this time around to keep the players? We haven't had any announcements of bigger better features or content, just bugfixes.

You know how disappointed we'll be if ya'll just take that steam money and run without investing back into the game's content and mechanics.

Our deed on Harmony went from 120 people and 50-40 active at all times to 10-20 now, because they're all playing more fun games and there's no end game on PvE. Having reasons to stay in large villages on PvE would be really nice, no shared common purpose like Jackal or PvP is really killing PvE.

Edited by phennexion
  • Like 2

I'm picturing Retro fleeing to another country with his windfall of literally hundreds of dollars

• Like 13
  • Cat 1

But hey, we released two additional servers for the influx of players. Now we can have FOUR dead servers instead of just two

• Like 6

Yeah it's been extremely quiet with no news about basically anything on what's next or what is being worked on.

Retro said he will give news when he gets them but come on now... It's been 2 months, we had a lackluster recap shortly after the Steam release and then nothing but silence with some tweaks and small changes here and there, mostly fixing the UI and other oversights... And then we were told for example that channeling is going to be changed in the future, or that they will do something about the whole referral fiasco, but so far all of that is TBA. 

We were promised more Jackal but so far i can't see that happening this year.

Then there is the whole last update for WU that has been in endless beta for the last year or so.

Is the whole dev team on holiday or something? 

People will want proper updates and new features, news on what is being worked on and what we can expect moving forward, otherwise we will see them leaving in droves. 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

Forget new content what about fixing what they recently broke? IE Channeling with priests?  Still salty about the nerf in response to exploits that apparently weren't being exploited with the promise they were going to address it "soon"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chakron said:

I'm picturing Retro fleeing to another country with his windfall of literally hundreds of dollars

Confirming... I heard the staff has become thinned out and divided, after they all moved to separate island countries with their silvers.  :D

We probably won't want the update we will get. Be careful what you wish for.

• Like 1

What do you mean by an end game?  I thought wurm was open ended, so there is no real end. That's why it is a sandbox. 

Do you mean that you need a purpose or a set of tasks or features to perform when your skills are at a high level?  

You could say the old line of "Wurm is what you make of it" but I know that extra features and things to do in game would be great to do. 

For example, someone on the wurm steam forums was asking if wurm has dungeons to complete.

There are lots of suggestions in the suggestion forum, that are good ideas. 

I think the main problem is them not saying if something might be coming but then again, if they did say that something was coming then people would be up in arms if it did not come fast enough. 

That and you've also got small staff team as well.  Maybe if some people were able to be recruited by wurm to be staff members who could create content for wurm and learn how to program in wurm then that might help as well. 

Wurm developer volunteers 🤔👍

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zexos said:

Wurm developer volunteers

Heck, I'd do that. But Java development with JavaFX? noplease

I already thought about "ripping" the models and recreating better animations, then simply sending those to them anonymously. Couldn't care less if I get credited or not.

• Like 2

End game you say? 

[06:15:43] A rift has been spotted on Harmony!

• Cat 1

Here is what end game is in wurm:  "Sorry to announce, but we are closing the server permanently". 

Until that happens, we exist and do whatever we choose to do in the game.  Make your own content right?

The new launch brought back a ton of old layers form the last decade+ of the game that wanted that new server thrill.  Wel, it is the same as the last time a new server launched, but the second or third or 4th new server you start on will just have a fraction of the holding power as the one before.

What about new net new players?  They gave it a spin.  Most didn't like it.  It takes a special breed to love Wurm and most of those have hunted high and low to find Wurm already.

Servers will go to low population and remain there for as long as the company can keep it going.  Try not to set high expectations.  Just be happy they have not shut it all down.

• Like 6

Keep being told we'll have something for you all soon, started asking that question 3-4 weeks ago. 

Update when?

4 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Here is what end game is in wurm:  "Sorry to announce, but we are closing the server permanently". 

Until that happens, we exist and do whatever we choose to do in the game.  Make your own content right?

The new launch brought back a ton of old layers form the last decade+ of the game that wanted that new server thrill.  Wel, it is the same as the last time a new server launched, but the second or third or 4th new server you start on will just have a fraction of the holding power as the one before.

What about new net new players?  They gave it a spin.  Most didn't like it.  It takes a special breed to love Wurm and most of those have hunted high and low to find Wurm already.

Servers will go to low population and remain there for as long as the company can keep it going.  Try not to set high expectations.  Just be happy they have not shut it all down.

This is by far the perfect answer to this topic.

• Like 1

Wurm is doing what wurm has always done
CqdseoxryU6L7rn-3HBJmABQUAV6arw-vRXEfrO7

It will just keep chugging along slowly changing over time some good changes some bad changes but slowly things will happen it be foolish to expect major changes just because wurm got a lot of money its still the same limited staff that struggle now if gcg was to come out and throw more staff their way to help out because of the success that wurm had then sure start expecting changes but that wont happen unless wurm manages to stay at 2k+ online users at all times for 6+ months which frankly it wont ever reach but i hope that some day gcg will throw more help to the wurm staff as god knows they can use it

17 hours ago, Chakron said:

This made me LOL way too hard at work

2 hours ago, icfred said:

It's hard to think of a reasonable 'end game' for Wurm as it's a sandbox MMO. Wurm doesn't have the mechanics of normative MMOs like instancing and looting which are more often than not the core mechanics of the endgame. The endgame is decided by you and perhaps by being part of a larger village you're sacrificing this aspect of the game.

Nah, there's sandbox goals that could be implemented.

Village levels and bonuses for levelling up village or building monuments or something, perks for being part of certain deeds.. like Level for cities in SWG which worked really well.

User made dungeons

better tools for holding community events

seasonal content like jackal server

etc.

• Like 2

No MMO actually has "end-game" content. End-Game is an illusion. There's never an end to the story. You beat this Big Bad, and discover that there's another Big Bad that's even worse, requiring another training montage round of leveling up before you can tackle that one. Sometimes the next Big Bad is delayed while waiting for the next expansion, but there's never truly an endgame. It's like MMO developers looked at Dragonball Z, and said, "Yeah, that's how we want to plan our story. Never-ending!" 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nekojin said:

No MMO actually has "end-game" content. End-Game is an illusion. There's never an end to the story. You beat this Big Bad, and discover that there's another Big Bad that's even worse, requiring another training montage round of leveling up before you can tackle that one. Sometimes the next Big Bad is delayed while waiting for the next expansion, but there's never truly an endgame. It's like MMO developers looked at Dragonball Z, and said, "Yeah, that's how we want to plan our story. Never-ending!" 

Well duh, but in wurm PvE it's literally minecraft. Actually minecraft has more content end game than wurm does. lol, some dragon u gotta fight at the end?

But with no unifying objective in PvE theres nothing for players to focus on or group up for, other than make work projects.

48 minutes ago, phennexion said:

Well duh, but in wurm PvE it's literally minecraft. Actually minecraft has more content end game than wurm does. lol, some dragon u gotta fight at the end?

But with no unifying objective in PvE theres nothing for players to focus on or group up for, other than make work projects.

There are plenty of things for people to group up for, these things may not be active on the new servers yet because of them still being.....new. But there are many uniques, from drakes and dragons to the kyclops, goblin leader, troll king and such. There are also rifts. So there are plenty of "combat" related things that are typically considered end game for wurm. If you want pure pve non combat end game content, then I suppose that would be up to you. Your options are limitless. From deed building and expansion to skill training. As others have said, this is a sandbox, there is no, and in my opinion, there should be no end game. The game ends when your done with everything you wish to do, or you try to log in and the game is shut down. At that point, its game over.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, gnomegates said:

There are plenty of things for people to group up for, these things may not be active on the new servers yet because of them still being.....new. But there are many uniques, from drakes and dragons to the kyclops, goblin leader, troll king and such. There are also rifts. So there are plenty of "combat" related things that are typically considered end game for wurm. If you want pure pve non combat end game content, then I suppose that would be up to you. Your options are limitless. From deed building and expansion to skill training. As others have said, this is a sandbox, there is no, and in my opinion, there should be no end game. The game ends when your done with everything you wish to do, or you try to log in and the game is shut down. At that point, its game over.

With your expert advice, looks at how well Wurm is dying again two months after new cluster release. Same story over and over again. Because all that works so well right? No one needs anything else *rolls eyes*.

I've been playing this game on and off for 13 years, I've seen this same endless cycle over and over. Jackal was our glimmer of hope that Wurm dev team is actually considering doing more for us on the PvE end.