Sign in to follow this  
phennexion

Sooo... What is Wurm doing now?

Wurm has traditionally NOT been a game that holds the hands of players and leads them down the path of gaming bliss. The roadmap is mostly about bling. Not about content. So as always it's a sandbox game. The players themselves are extremely limited in the content they can create themselves. Always been that way. Unique hunts (typically restricted to the fs elite), imp alongs and other 'stuff'. The people who stick around are those who are good at entertaining themselves or others.

• Like 1

Sooo... looks like I was still right. lol, although they finally contracted a developer which is a positive sign!

Edited by phennexion

On 1/22/2021 at 5:43 PM, Darkelf said:

I would very much like to know what their planning are for the future, dont want to spend more money into this, if this barely get anywhere. So are they lack of developers? or skills??

There are many things i like to see in the game and it does feel pretty old at the moment.

What would you like to see, have you considered making suggestions on the forums?

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:24 AM, Kierkegaard said:

I would not expect major content updates like AAA companies.

I've seen 1-man indie developers release content at a faster rate. I genuinely believe they just have a bad development cycle, maybe it takes weeks to months for ideas to get the go-ahead, by which point they could've implement and fixed up issues.

What the game needs is for the devs to spend a week looking at old suggestions and put up a poll of their favourite ideas, discuss those ideas further on community streams to get players excited and then keep us up today with whatever it is they're working on with weekly updates on the community stream.

• Like 2

Endgame.  Kind of an oxymoron a game never has an end even if it has an end (puzzle on that  a bit).

If I like a game and play it over and over even though I get faster and beat the boss better the ENDGAME is the fun I have playing it.

How about we use a different term like your FUN GAME.

How much fun are you having?

What is your enjoyment level like?

Does your dopamine kick take over your body and make you go play cause its that dam good.  ( Nobody laugh we all have the games that make our pleasure center go through the roof)

I am a 12 year player of Wurm.  Just to give you some back ground.  I started before a lonnnnnngggg list of what Wurm has now.

Just a small list

Large carts

Horse

Bsb

Fsb

Current cooking

Bridges

Current ship models

Runes

Summoning

Wagons

Crates large or small.

And a whole hoard of differing things that even if not ontime.  OR even pefect when they came out are an accepted part and enjoyed by many people.

I play with 7 characters ( 3 mains) and 4 alts for leveling Faith for me and my friends.

I have a deed which I am redoing from scratch and according to my calculations will take me 5000 hours of play time to get anywhere near where I want to be.

For me this is fun , to help people with projects and to have my own.  TO stop and go kill stuff.  Stop and go hang out at Rifts.  Summon over a buddy and make booze and laugh at failed attempts.

Stop thinking of Wurm as a AAA game it is not.  Wurm is a game where you develop good friends for many years and everybody comes and goes and tries many different things.

The funny thing is like me..they always end up back in Wurm.

IF you want to talk I am Puncher or Spud or Slyguy on Sfi.  If you log in and need help I can summon you.. Teach you. Feed you. Help you. 

The joy of Wurm is that if you spend the time grinding things out you really do get better things.  Which makes you want to grind something else or buy it from somebody else that already did.

YOU HAVE TO INVEST in it.. Not just take it for a Joy ride and get mad at it when it makes your work for it.

Like FPS Russia says  HAVE NICE DAY  (fact he has a different channel now)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Antony said:

I've seen 1-man indie developers release content at a faster rate. I genuinely believe they just have a bad development cycle, maybe it takes weeks to months for ideas to get the go-ahead, by which point they could've implement and fixed up issues.

I've seen such cases as well but truth be told, It's entirely different when you write the code yourself and know it like the back of your hand and know exactly what to fix, what to augment, remove, improve especially when it's a singleplayer experience. 

But when balancing and adding stuff to an MMO the potential backlash is much higher if you screw up. Wurm's running on some old code right now and I'm pretty sure there isn't a single wurm dev out there that knows all its ancient artifacts, hidden works, it's like a maze where you can always find some new secret you weren't aware of. 

Also keep in mind that wurm doesn't really have a large team or paid staff to work on the code. That makes a big difference when also taking into account that some coding languages are more friendly than others when it comes to adding things to it. Overall wurm would probably benefit by being made into an entirely new engine but that would imply a massive update since I'm pretty confident we wouldn't be able to keep our maps. Maybe our char skills but that's it. 

What the game needs is for the devs to spend a week looking at old suggestions and put up a poll of their favourite ideas, discuss those ideas further on community streams to get players excited and then keep us up today with whatever it is they're working on with weekly updates on the community stream.

wurm dev is indeed a BLACK BOX, there might be something happening, there might be nothing happening.. you just never know

This game is essentially ran by volunteers. I was told before that because a volunteer didn't have time to work on stuff, whole projects got delayed/put on hold/cancelled or just released half assed. 

Remember Jackal? It was essentially's Budda's pet project, but then he left, and you can see the results. 

How long has it been now? And we still have heard absolutely nothing but vague promises.

Remember that thing called Wurm Unlimited? While we were told that it would not be updated anymore, we still have a beta patch in limbo for close to a year now, and we were told it would be released fully after Steam WO. 

You also have Rolf who pretty much left the project, leaving behind a mess in terms of game code that people are still working to fix. 

Edited by atazs

Adding to what was said above - one can think of Wurm as the result of many partly implemented systems.  Each time a "passion project" is abandoned, it rarely (if ever) gets picked up again.

The steam gamble left them with two audiences to satisfy, neither of which could sustain the game if the other left.

At the moment Dev direction seems to be in making changes (to satisfy the new crowd) while keeping things the same (to avoid upsetting the old crowd).  Of course, if you try to please everyone no-one ends up happy!

• Like 1