Sign in to follow this  
Luttuosa

Bathroom items

Hello guys :)

I know, in Wurm nobody needs to go to the bathroom, but I was thinking that this kind of furniture will complete for sure the design of an Inn or a house.
I was thinking to just a couple items, like:

- toilet, which could look like a chair with a hole (house version) or a long bench with four or five holes (inn version); the toilets should be placed only on the ground floors.-
- sink, somethink like the one in the image below, pulling water through a pump or something like that.
- bath tube, using the same system of the sink.

- mirror, something you can hang to the wall.

As said before, I know they have no utility, it would be just to add some new furniture; it would be nice to have bathrooms in the taverns, I think it would be more realistic :)

What do you guys think?

w-920h-690-1701955.jpg

Edited by Luttuosa
  • Like 5

I wont say no to more furniture / decor / options.... but I'm not sure this would be a high priority right now. 

Also, there were toilets on upper floors. They drained thru a shared shaft into cesspits and/or run thru a gutter chiseled in the castle stone, to drain down an outer wall. Castles and keep with more extensive builds would have a very primitive "plumbing" in a series of cesspits and undercroft level gutters - sorta like a very, very early form of septic tank system. btw, medieval toilets frequently drained out into the moat; which answers the age-old question, "if there were no alligators in medieval moats, why didn't enemies and spies just swim across."

The cesspits usually needed to be manually emptied and cleaned when the "pipes" got clogged up - any waste not drained into a river, lake, or moat was often carted away for local farmers to use as fertilizer. In one of the worst jobs in human history - the "gong farmer" (a play on the Old English verb to go) or "nightmen" (bc they were only allowed to work at night) - frequently stood up to knees or waist, or even neck in the sewage as they shoveled out the cesspit. Nightmen would die by asphyxiating on fumes built up in the cesspit, or by slipping down into the muck and drowning

Btw- there were also triangular shaped urinals cut into castle walls and ramparts, so that guards, etc, did not have to leave their posts for bathroom breaks. 

Toilet related additions to the decor could also include: 

• chamber pot

• basin type tubs for upper floors (that were hand-filled with water by the servants of the rich)

• decorative "matting" / bundles of straw, grass, herbs, aromatics (strewn on Great Hall floors and garderobe floors to discourage vermin & try to fight how stinky it was all the time)
• a decorative pitcher & basin set that can be placed on shelves, tables, etc. as would be used for morning ablutions 
• a garderobe for upper floors could easily be built as a section of wall, based on the timber frame jetty structure, only instead of open space in the interior portion, the classic wooden bench style toilet occupies that nook. (ps. not all castles bothered to put up interior walls to make it a separate room; sometimes it was just the end section of a corridor)

Fun times!
 ~ A 💜

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

10 hours ago, Amata said:

• a decorative pitcher & basin set that can be placed on shelves, tables, etc. as would be used for morning ablutions 

A "wash-stand".  A coffer with a jug and a bowl would do the trick, but the models are a bit basic for "decorative".

A washbasin that you could make out of every metal, wood, and clay. Buildable using a wooden stand on a bowl (can be wooden bowl, pottery bowl, metal bowl) 

A buildable outhouse which basically acts as a furniture that can't be moved and can only be built outside

A smaller version of the huge tub to be built out of wood

A lead bath tub

Edited by atazs

1 hour ago, atazs said:

A buildable outhouse which basically acts as a furniture that can't be moved and can only be built outside

And can only be planted on Water Source tiles? 😆