Sign in to follow this  
Oknos

Allow sowing of fields without having to pick seeds/crush

Make it possible to simply activate a (just as an example) tomato and be able to sow it. It serves no use that I'm forced to first right click the item, choose pick seed/crush, then find the seed I picked in the inventory, double click it, until I'm finally be able to sow it on the field.

Please streamline this behaviour, maybe even add it to a certain farming skill level.

Keep the ability to pick seeds/crush in the game, as there's some use for it if you only want to transport seeds or press something (like oil).

• Like 1

When you been farming a while you will have a fsb/bsb filled with seeds 

and to get them you press on alot of say tomatoes at same time.  

So there is no use for devs to make extra work on this, while they got alot of other stuff to fix/do.

Ropemakers need to press on wemp to get there material to make ropes. And I think they need to press alot more then us farmer need.

So from me as a farmer no ty no need to change this 

If we're talking seed suggestions.... I agree with Maiya - the pick seeds > activate seed > sow seed process is as streamlined as reasonable as it is right now. Maiya also did well to point out that the hassle of picking seeds just to immediately plant them goes entirely away at higher farming levels. As your harvest yield increases, you eventually gather up a bit of a seed bank. I highly suggest using your low QL harvests for seed & saving your high QL harvests for foods. (Seed QL does not impact harvest QL, etc, so its a good way to utilize your low QL junk)

Good thinking, tho - keep playing and keep coming up with ideas for Wurm features and improvements! 

~ A💜

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Maiya said:

When you been farming a while you will have a fsb/bsb filled with seeds 

and to get them you press on alot of say tomatoes at same time.  

So there is no use for devs to make extra work on this, while they got alot of other stuff to fix/do.

Ropemakers need to press on wemp to get there material to make ropes. And I think they need to press alot more then us farmer need.

So from me as a farmer no ty no need to change this 

You're completely missing the point of the suggestion.

I suggest the ADDITION of the ability to do this:

Activate tomato -> click prepared field -> sow.

As opposite to:

Right click tomato -> pick seeds -> find seed in inventory -> activate seed -> click field -> sow.

6 steps of interaction versus 3. There's no excuse to not allow this. This is not about having seeds in storage, this is a simplification of a process which should not require this much interaction.

The intent of the player who activated a tomato and right clicked an empty field is 100% clear and it should be handled as such. Yes, we can't simply push a tomato in the ground and make it grow. It would most likely rot, rather than sprout. But simply printing a "You pick the seeds from the tomato and sow them." message would suffice to streamline this and keep realism.

3 hours ago, Amata said:

If we're talking seed suggestions.... I agree with Maiya - the pick seeds > activate seed > sow seed process is as streamlined as reasonable as it is right now. Maiya also did well to point out that the hassle of picking seeds just to immediately plant them goes entirely away at higher farming levels. As your harvest yield increases, you eventually gather up a bit of a seed bank. I highly suggest using your low QL harvests for seed & saving your high QL harvests for foods. (Seed QL does not impact harvest QL, etc, so its a good way to utilize your low QL junk)

Good thinking, tho - keep playing and keep coming up with ideas for Wurm features and improvements! 

~ A💜

You are unfortunately missing the point of the suggestion as well.

It is not about the amount of seeds you've stored up or any farming level involved. It is about the typical "wurmian" clunkyness which existed in this same exact state 10 years ago, and still exists now.

To both of you and anyone reading:

I know very well it is impossible to please everyone, and I sure as hell don't want to suggest making wurm "console tier - press X to win".

But I've been doing some UI and gameplay development myself, and I can say that some things in wurm aren't simply "wurm charm", but overly clunky - and those things should be fixed.

Basically, the suggestion is to make all farmable crops work like potatoes.

Im neither here or here, i don’t really think picking seeds on a lot of crops is much of an issue or much if a timewaster, but i also don’t see why it’s necessary for half the crops.

Well, for potatoes, onions, garlic etc. it is the normal process to plant the fruit itself (usually smaller ones from the harvest). The process of generating them from seed (still possible and necessary for breeding new sorts) is usually not in use in basic agriculture/gardening. For grains, the intermediate step of thrashing is left out, fortunately. But picking seeds from the plants where it can be done is logical. It is easy to keep a seed crate or bsb, usually, as Amata wrote, with the low qualities. I do not feel that clunky, rather immersive. No gardener or peasant would ever stick a tomato or cuke into the earth for sowing.

Edited by Ekcin
typo

I've reported the thread with the intention of having it deleted.

It seems people would rather suffer and defend the current state of the game than think about improvement for usability which would result in no negative impact for anyone.

It would be a nice QOL.  Game breaking? No but I don't see why we need to pick seeds.  We don't get anything back but the seeds.  Seeds aren't a by product of using the crop.  Again just a nice QOL change I don't see why people are so against it.