Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Black wool and more wool uses...

Black sheep and ram should produce black wool after shearing. Black wool cannot be dyed to any other color.

Sheepskin and cowhide rugs.

There are some wool outfits, but they are only decorations, maybe you should add some extra properties to them so that players will start using them more?

Common wool hat - I know that it is not cold in winter, but if the bar of food and water drain would be faster during this period, this cap could have a hunger and water drain reduction bonus of for example 10%.

Foresters wool hat - gives +2 to the range for recognizing the age and condition of trees and shrubs.

Squire wool cap - reduces the chance of failure when grooming horses.

Peasant wool cap - gives +2 range to crop recognition and field condition.

Brown bear helm - once an hour allows you to use a roar that scares non-aggressive animals and makes them run a few tiles.

Edited by Darnok

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

Black sheep and ram should produce black wool after shearing. Wool cannot be dyed to any other color.

While this is better than your previous suggestions, you still don't seem to "get" the game at all. 

First: Why can you not dye wool? It's one of the oldest forms of dyeing there is. 

Mwyt4JC.jpg

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

Common wool hat - I know that it is not cold in winter, but if the bar of food and water drain would be faster during this period, this cap could have a hunger and water drain reduction bonus of for example 10%.

Foresters wool hat - gives +2 to the range for recognizing the age and condition of trees and shrubs.

Brown bear helm - once an hour allows you to use a roar that scares non-aggressive animals and makes them run a few tiles.

The game doesn't have specialty items that give bonuses - all improvements and bonuses are a trait of the magic system. What causes these to have these bonus abilities? 

Beside that, on 3 of his 5 Hat ideas, skill already does that....

Edited by Caduryn

1 hour ago, Nekojin said:

While this is better than your previous suggestions, you still don't seem to "get" the game at all. 

First: Why can you not dye wool? It's one of the oldest forms of dyeing there is. 

Black wool wouldn't need dye and couldn't give you cloth in other color than black.

The game doesn't have specialty items that give bonuses - all improvements and bonuses are a trait of the magic system. What causes these to have these bonus abilities? 

Lines of code? 😄

Edited by Darnok

13 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

Beside that, on 3 of his 5 Hat ideas, skill already does that....

I know, but wearing them would improve character abilities even further.

52 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Black wool would need dye and couldn't give you cloth in other color than black.

... that doesn't answer the question. Let me rephrase: Wool dye is a real thing that is known to work. It can even be used on black wool, with some conditioning. Why would Wurm wool be immune to it? 

52 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Lines of code? 😄

Again, you're trying to introduce things that do not work like anything in the game currently does. Can you come up with a solid reason why each of those items has some ability? How do they give that bonus? All I'm seeing is that you think it'd be cool, and while that may be true, it doesn't rise to the level of justifying its addition to the game. I can come up with the idea of a +3 Vorpal Sword of Hell Scorpius-Slaying, but that doesn't make it a good match for the game. How is "Foresters wool hat - gives +2 to the range for recognizing the age and condition of trees and shrubs" any different from a +2 Hat of Forestry? 

Perhaps you should take a deeper look at what is in the game, and what isn't, and think about why concepts that are common in other MMOs (particularly MMORPGs) aren't here at all. 

Edited by Nekojin

26 minutes ago, Nekojin said:

... that doesn't answer the question. 

Again, you're trying to introduce things that do not work like anything in the game currently does. Can you come up with a solid reason why each of those items has some ability? How do they give that bonus? All I'm seeing is that you think it'd be cool, and while that may be true, it doesn't rise to the level of justifying its addition to the game. I can come up with the idea of a +3 Vorpal Sword of Hell Scorpius-Slaying, but that doesn't make it a good match for the game. 

Perhaps you should take a deeper look at what is in the game, and what isn't, and think about why concepts that are common in other MMOs (particularly MMORPGs) aren't here at all. 

I leave writing fairy tales that justify the existence of anything in the game to those who like to write fairy tales. I'm just pointing out that there is a certain part of the game that is not fully utilized. And I give examples of how it can be used.

If you think that the mere fact of making an item should not give it these abilities, ok. That's what priests with spells are for, so you can expand their spell inventory with those that would be needed in this case, then the believers in fairy tales will be pleased?

That you disrespect the content creators as "believers of fairy tales" says all that anyone needs to know about your ideas. 

This is actually a decent suggestion.  While it may not fit with how Wurm has done things traditionally, it's interesting.

+1

26 minutes ago, Nekojin said:

That you disrespect the content creators as "believers of fairy tales" says all that anyone needs to know about your ideas. 

I never care about game lore in any MMO game, here features and balance counts. Single player games are for story telling.

And games are modern version of fairy tales so... no disrespect.

Edited by Darnok

44 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I never care about game lore in any MMO game, here features and balance counts. Single player games are for story telling.

And games are modern version of fairy tales so... no disrespect.

Well, you should care, at least to some degree, because the people you're trying to convince - that would be the Developers, not the random commenters in the thread like me - do care. If you demonstrate to them that you have no understanding of how things work, or why they work (and more importantly, no interest in gaining that sort of understanding), they're not likely to give your suggestions much consideration at all. 

I edited my response above before you made your response; you seem to be ignoring the edits, or possibly never even noticed them. So I'll repeat: 

Wool dyeing is already in the game. Black sheep were added at the same time that the rest of the sheep were added (2014), but they chose not to add black wool to keep the value of black items, and black dye, relatively high. They wanted black items to be something rare and coveted. IF they followed your suggestion of NOW adding black wool, WHY do you think it should be immune from dyeing, and/or why do you think that dyeing should be removed from all wool? Black wool in real life can be dyed, it just requires some conditioning first. This isn't fairy tale magic we're talking about here. 

Second: The game doesn't have magical +2 anything. So why should a "Forester's Wool Hat" (+2 Hat of Forestry) or a "Peasant Wool Cap" (+2 Hat of Farming - and a subtle slur against farming, to boot) be added? And what makes wool special to give skill boosts? 

The idea that there should be more wool crafting items has never been in dispute, and people have been making that suggestion since, oh, 2014. You are far from the first to suggest it. 

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 3

Black wool has been suggested before.

Edited by Katrat

5 hours ago, Darnok said:

Black sheep and ram should produce black wool after shearing. Black wool cannot be dyed to any other color.

Sheepskin and cowhide rugs.

There are some wool outfits, but they are only decorations, maybe you should add some extra properties to them so that players will start using them more?

Black wool making black clothing - It should work that way because I've seen plenty of people ask why it doesn't, if there's no difference in wool harvested why have black sheep at all? That would make two ways to make black wool clothing, either with normal wool and dye, or with black wool from a black sheep.

Foresters wool hat/Peasant wool cap - Gives the items a use that sort of boils down to a QoL change. You should really be able to tell if a tree is old and shriveled without needing to stand on top of it or take a college course in it.

Squire wool cap - I'd say no, since it would give you more successes and make the skill grind marginally faster.

Brown bear helm - I almost forgot you were Darnok until I read this.

1 hour ago, Nekojin said:

"Peasant Wool Cap" (+2 Hat of Farming - and a subtle slur against farming, to boot)

AKJSFdG.png

• Like 1

+1 to black sheep giving black wool

It's only natural, and 'wogic' isn't a complement.

• Like 1

Wool colour - Yes, dark sheep should give dark wool.  Like many suggestions, this has been made before (Wurm has been around long enough that almost any good suggestion has some kind of history).  Yes, wool can be dyed, but the mechanic of shearing a black sheep to get white wool and then dyeing it dark again is not great.  This should work a bit more like real life; you acquire dark wool either through dyeing white wool or shearing dark fleece from dark sheep.  

I am all for more hat options - more clothing options in general is always a plus - but not so much the giving of special abilities.   Generally head coverings only give some level of defense, which is fine.  Clothing in general only has defense and mass.  As Darnok says, seasonality doesn't really effect things like hunger & thirst but if they did then I could see head-wear being a reasonable modifier, but only of physical effects.  Then the choice between open helm and great helm is more than just the weight/protection trade off.  Since we don't have those effects though, there is nothing to offset.  Putting on a particular hat because it makes you better at brushing the horses or recognizing crops is not something I would use - too much effort for little payoff.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Nekojin said:

I can come up with the idea of a +3 Vorpal Sword of Hell Scorpius-Slaying, but that doesn't make it a good match for the game.

Now now, you know a Vorpal Sword is for killing Jabberwocks.  

16 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

I am all for more hat options - more clothing options in general is always a plus - but not so much the giving of special abilities. 

^ this. 
Yes to added diversity & design for in-game items and wearables.... but in Wurm, clothing isn't a stat stick that you load up with modifiers and go carting around to show how epic your bonuses are. In Wurm clothing is... clothing. For a bit of added weight, you get a bit of extra defense. 

I can understand the concept of certain specific pieces of clothing contributing to your physical wellbeing - like a winter jacket that reduces stamina drain during the winter. Or a set of hat and mittens worn during the winter time to help your food & drink last longer. Or a sunhat / strawhat that has a similar effect in summer, or in desert biomes. 

But, overall, that's a call the devs would make... and as others have mentioned, the lore of the world  is part of the rubric that devs will use to determine if a suggestion "fits" or not. And whether or not it would ever be a priority. Etc. 

At the end of the day, approaching Wurm clothing as basic defense modifiers + in-game visual is your starting point for making relevant suggestions.