Sign in to follow this  
Nekojin

Educate me on short bridges, please.

My wife and I have a canal that we're digging. It's a lot more work than I originally imagined, but it's rewarding in its own way. But we ran into a little snag when we went to plan our bridge. The canal width - the length of the bridge - is only 6 spaces across, but it requires a support pillar on the 5th tile, which gets in the way of the canal's travel path. 

Would narrowing the canal where the bridge is - that is, making it 5 wide instead of 6 - remove the need for the support pillar, or effectively remove it from the actual waterway, putting it on what is already an incline? 

Edit: This is a flat bridge; would making it an arched bridge eliminate the problem? 

Edited by Nekojin

You should be able to do a 5 tile long standard flat bridge without a support in the middle.

A 6 tile long may be possible as an arched.... but not sure how those work with keystones. You'd have to have a slope to it, and I think the minimum is 5 slope incline.

Edited by Xallo
  • Cat 1

arched bridge should work but you can make a flat one too. You can move the bridge pieces around in the design view to change the default layout (to an extent): 

J9V9tcA.jpg

MJQxAJ0.jpg

• Cat 1

Fantastic! I didn't know you could move things around in the planning stage. I'll have to take another crack at that bridge tonight. 

Edit: You can place multiple bridges directly next to each other, with no gap at all? 

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 1