Sign in to follow this  
Andru

Interested in PvP, new to wurm.. but...

I just watched this and was curious what goes on nowadays to prevent this type of thing from occurring, and also if it is safe at all to partake in PvP.

I've never heard of anyone being hacked in wurm. He probably accidentally typed his password out during a steam.

If you're concerned about security use steam guard if playing through steam, and use unique passwords for the game / steam & your email.

Edited by Antony

Basically, Emoo is a very high profile player on a very old server. This is a one time issue, that while extremely unfortunate, isn't going to happen to the average player. Sadly, this is still the mindset of some players on Chaos, that winning is the only object no matter what the cost is. The culture on Defiance feels much better, players are here to enjoy the game, nothing more. Part of it is a lot less investment, some characters and deeds on chaos are literally a decade old, so there is a lot of personal attachment. Defiance is a lot more laid back. 

If you are interested in PvP, seriously go for it. As noted with the above, using steam makes your account safer then ever. 

Edit: He is back on Chaos btw, the little MRC comeback tour :D

Edited by GorgonKain
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Antony said:

I've never heard of anyone being hacked in wurm. He probably accidentally typed his password out during a steam.

thats far going statement bro

• Like 1

Defiance is not like this at all. PvP is as friendly as it gets and everyone is extremely welcoming. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:57 AM, GorgonKain said:

Basically, Emoo is a very high profile player on a very old server. This is a one time issue, that while extremely unfortunate, isn't going to happen to the average player. Sadly, this is still the mindset of some players on Chaos, that winning is the only object no matter what the cost is. The culture on Defiance feels much better, players are here to enjoy the game, nothing more. Part of it is a lot less investment, some characters and deeds on chaos are literally a decade old, so there is a lot of personal attachment. Defiance is a lot more laid back. 

If you are interested in PvP, seriously go for it. As noted with the above, using steam makes your account safer then ever. 

Edit: He is back on Chaos btw, the little MRC comeback tour :D

thanks.

appreciate the post. Yeah coming from a lot of other e-sport type games, or competitive pvp survival games.. I've seen pretty much everything. Aimbotting, ddosing, maphacking, account hacking, admin interference, etc. etc.

It's frankly so corrupt and toxic that's part of why I settled into and love wurm PvE.

Now I get that everyone is going to try and be welcoming and encouraging, just like they were initially on Wurm PvE.. but i've seen pretty much non-stop griefing/drama near me on PvE. I had to expand my deed a ton and KoS countless people just to be able to chill and do some forestry.

So my question is, what are some typical situations, like on PvE, where griefing occurs (because i'm sure it does) and how is it handled by you guys there? Do the kingdoms stick together? Like how are the dynamics?

Griefing is basically non existent as you would think of it on a PvE server, at least in HoTS where I live. Kingdoms are by design here to work towards common goals. On the very rare occasion that someone is caught stealing or doing something uncouth, they are usually killed and removed from the alliance after a short "trial" by their village if it is a severe infraction. 

Villages are created mostly on the basis of strategic importance, placed in areas to protect choke points or have a safe spot to retreat to. We do have "Freedom Deeds" but they are mostly found on the starter island where that playstyle is safer. 

As to the mentality, we have all kinds. The worst "toxicity" I have personally experienced is the min-maxing, which is basically never forced on others. Largely those sorts of things are given as advice rather then demands (unless you are consuming a lot of someone else's resources). 

In my personal experience, PvE servers are far more toxic on the day to day. There is a lot of smack talk on PvP servers, but most of it is in good fun. You have the occasional salty salmon, but that is going to happen basically in every game. 

• Like 1

You couldn't handle pve because people wanted to build a road.

If you approach pvp with the same victim mentality you're going to have a real bad time.

• Like 6

The kingdom basically put their passwords out on a forum and it got "hacked" and yeah, it was 50% being dumb and 50% it should have never had to be a worry.

But i don't leave my credit cards on the table inside my house incase a burglar comes in so you know.

Also, Emoo is currently enjoying chaos loss after loss with the rest of his kingdom (watch for the 10 vs 21 they recently lost) so they're back getting asses kicked without no hacking excuses.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

look at the Date on the video. if you want (comedic) pvp videos here i make them. PVP is a unique community completely separate from PVE, WAY different style and friend groups. 

• Like 1

I would definitely recommend going to Defiance for PvP. It's a fresh server, and you don't have to work as hard to skill up your character as you would on Chaos. IE no meditations dmg reductions/tomes/extra useless stuff. Just very basic PvP. Then best kind.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 10:22 AM, Beanbag said:

You couldn't handle pve because people wanted to build a road.

If you approach pvp with the same victim mentality you're going to have a real bad time.

No i won the conflict man. no highway they stopped building it in a stupid location, and chose the skinny part of the ridge like i suggested.

All in all they were just being stupid, which was what i told Enki and I'm assuming he agreed. You can see the area on the map, they chose the absolute worst area, the largest part of the ridgeline to tunnel.. and they ###### gave up about 3 days later lol.

Also, the issue was that the gms prevented me from digging there, i was reprimanded for blocking and damaged the road as they worked, so lets be honest here they were benefiting more from PvE and gm interference than myself.

I've soloed gamma brood in Official ark, a game 1000x more toxic than this with rampant hacking, ddosing, etc.

I'm diamond league (masters in teams) in Sc2 again with rampant map hacking, etc.

Got most of the powerstones and had mythical gear in Official Atlas, also, solo. Well, partly solo. At the time i was working with some friends but I was solo in my company. We were in an alliance though.

So...

Yeah idk man the issue here was that i had to go through gms instead of just killing them while they sleep.

Edited by Andru

Also excellent posts.

I think i agree with you, since i see 3 or 4 posts of positivity and explaining how it is on defiance. Welcoming comments, polite.

Then we have the 1 guy from pve, being a dishonest troll trying to insult me.

I will definitely be coming to defiance ASAP once i get my deed in order.

Thank you guys for the awesome posts.

Just now, Zao said:

Come to MR, we would love to have you! 

for sure i got like 75 digging and over 50 shovel i can dig trenches and build fences like a madman.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:26 PM, Zao said:

All you need to do is BTB

what's a btb?

On 9/25/2020 at 4:55 PM, Andru said:

Then we have the 1 guy from pve, being a dishonest troll trying to insult me.

Simply stating the facts. You deserve everything your behavior is going to get you.

• Like 1