Sign in to follow this  
Tigrosaur

Animal Husbandry Fix

The way how the Animal Husbandry skill works makes it very unpleasant for people to level up after 50 or 60 and people are using non-premium alts to avoid getting any more skill-gain from grooming.

This forum post explains the flaw in more detail: 

I'd like to propose a simple option in the Character -> Body -> Profile or a new chat command "/breedingtraitsmax <1-8>" which limits the maximum number of traits an offspring can have to a chosen number between 1 and 8 (obviously also still limited by AH skill)

This would fix all problems players have with the current system and doesn't require an overhaul of the whole system.

• Like 4

yeah, agreed. if you dont have a good breeding pair to start with and your AH skill is already 70+, the way it is now its called "GL breeding out 5 speeds".. 

I am AH 70 and I have good breeding pairs and I have no problem getting good horses and horses are already dirt cheap. I don't use Genesis, I kill off. A lot more helpful would be if deed AR would decrease along with mayor's AH. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

bump

Animal Husbandry is the only skill that makes it worse for players to skill up.

Players trying to avoid to get skill points cannot be intended, thus my small suggestion that would give everyone the option to decide for themselves how many traits an offspring can have max.

Also please keep this forum post specifically about to the problem mentioned above and let's not talk about other things that are unrelated, like animal ratio.

a simple fix would be to make it so that 70-100 there are points to hit where you no longer breed certain negative traits.

For example, at 70 you no longer get hungry horses.

at 75, different leg length. etc

with inbreeding being at 100

Edited by sweatygopher
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, sweatygopher said:

a simple fix would be to make it so that 70-100 there are points to hit where you no longer breed certain negative traits.

For example, at 70 you no longer get hungry horses.

at 75, different leg length. etc

with inbreeding being at 100

No.

There are only 10 non-negative traits in the game and your offsprings can have a maximum of 8 traits at 80 AH.

Taking away all negative traits from the pool of possible traits would result in a 5 speed horse almost every time you breed two wild horses together, making the whole selective breeding system irrelevant. (Also "Genesis" Fo Priests would like to have a word with you.)

Do not change the current system, just give people the choice to manually set their Animal Husbandry to a level they desire with a solution like the one I posted above.

PS: That being said, in the Wurm-Trait-Generation-Code ( Traits.calcNewTraits(..) ) the chance for each negative trait to be added that did not come from father or mother is slightly reduced the higher your animal husbandry skill is up to 80 AH - so a lighter version of your suggestion already exists.

Edited by Tigrosaur
  • Like 1

I like this as it doesn't complicate the system. KISS solution rule!