Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Logout on not moving - let chatting count to keep logged in

I am super tired of the logout from not moving.  I log in to the game and first thing I do is start catching up with friends and allies.  Right in the middle of conversation, the big fat Wurm door slams in my face and I am logged off for inactivity.

Can we please do away with that ridiculous feature?  I'm sure it is there for PvP reason (yet again).  If you just have to keep it for that small niche pvp market, then please consider doing this:

Account logs in and is invulnerable for up to 1 minute. 

After 1 minute of zero activity, account loses invulnerability.

If account moves or does any chatting, account loses invulnerability. (why should any character be invulnerable while plotting with friends what their next move is?)

Account never auto logs out - ever again.

this is a pvp thing? i go afk for hours sometimes and never seen this.

Edited by Tpikol

it happens when you log in and don't move or do a action.

• Like 1

Saved me once on xan. Logged out on foot in the wilderness. 2 trolls standing within 3 tiles of me. If you don't move you are invulnerable. Logged out and tried again after they had moved along.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I am super tired of the logout from not moving.

I'm sure it is there for PvP reason (yet again). 

yeah, everything is for pvp lol. it never is for protecting a poor pve soul from logging in and not dying to some troll in a mine, a forest or whatever.. to be fair, its actually a carebear pve player protection as most of them play on weak PCs so it takes 4ever to log in due to the time those PCs take to render surroundings for you. While for the PVP side you actually dont get DCed and lose invulnerability automatically after a minute or 2 if you log in and enemies are in local.

as for the suggestion itself, i really couldn't care less it gets added or not, but what I find funny is that you claim

3 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

I log in to the game and first thing I do is start catching up with friends and allies.

but you are unable to press "W" key or any other literally ONCE to move a bit so the protection fades away? that's hilarious 

• Like 1

Actually I have pushed W thousands of times to prevent the logout.  It is the couple hundred times that I haven't that are irritating.

Is there a good reason for it?  Does it need to stay in the game?  Can't my suggestions above better handle the situation?  Do you have something against QoL improvements Skatyna?  I'm not suggestinng the removal of an invulnerability grace period, just that the game doesn't log you out automatically.  Pretty simple ask.

Wurm is the game where you pay to play afk.  Most of us run multiple alts, because that is how the game is designed and how Code Club (or GC) make more money.  When you are logging in 2-4 10 accounts or however many, it magnifies the problem even more.

Just asking for a little QoL love to remove a point of frustration.

There have been so many times over the years where that mechanic has saved me

A great way this saves people is say for example their internet cuts out and is being flakey they try to log back into wurm and see nothing but water(world not loading in) now their character is there they can do stuff they just cant see the world and because they cant see the world the game doesnt let them move anywhere and  thus you dont randomly die from a random mob sitting next to you that could potentially start beating you leading to a 5 min logout timer(i hate this timer on pve) which could lead to you trying to log in to a red tunnel because something you can not take on walked over after you where just fighting something you can take on easy

All it takes is a single w press to knock you out of it or an examine on the ground and heck off deed it tells you you arent invulnerable anyway and does not log you out anyway now days

Meant for spies on pvp but no rhyme or reason it should be on freedom idles.

I wonder if you can perform auto walk or an action to break the logout timer in autorun.txt

Edited by Antony

I remember days long past where logging in had a good chance of crashing your client.

This little mechanic made sure that you wouldn't die if that happened.

It should probably stay in, since pressing a single key on loggon prevents it.

• Like 1

How about instead of disabling it, you get a 1 minute warning similar to when the server is about to go down?  

I am not sure how soon the logout happens if you don't move, but 2 minutes comes to mind. A bright orange reminder 1 minute out would help prompt you to move.

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

How about instead of disabling it, you get a 1 minute warning similar to when the server is about to go down?  

I am not sure how soon the logout happens if you don't move, but 2 minutes comes to mind. A bright orange reminder 1 minute out would help prompt you to move.

It tells you that if you dont move you will get logged out already

[14:49:47] Welcome back, Archaed! Release has been awaiting you.

[14:58:50] You will be logged off in one minute since you are invulnerable. Move around a little to prevent this.
[14:59:51] You have been idle for too long and will be logged off.

You also get messages if trying to use local, freedom or GL chat 

[16:42:03] You may not use local chat until you have moved and lost invulnerability.

[16:42:14] You may not use kingdom chat until you have moved and lost invulnerability.

All messages are in orange. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

[14:49:47] Welcome back, Archaed! Release has been awaiting you.

[14:58:50] You will be logged off in one minute since you are invulnerable. Move around a little to prevent this.
[14:59:51] You have been idle for too long and will be logged off.

You also get messages if trying to use local, freedom or GL chat 

[16:42:03] You may not use local chat until you have moved and lost invulnerability.

[16:42:14] You may not use kingdom chat until you have moved and lost invulnerability.

All messages are in orange. 

Wow, see how quick my suggestion was implemented.  So quick it was in the game before I thought to suggest it.  😁

I keep finding out that I don't know what I don't know.  I would put that down to being a 2-hands beginner, but I have come across decaders who are still learning the game.  For all the "niche" comments and the criticism of old mechanics (my hand is up for this, so I am not casting aspersions) I find it very encouraging that there remains much to discover over years of gameplay (in Thief, I made a point of going to every accessible location and investigating it in detail.  I hated getting told I had found 98% of the available loot and secrets).  I still don't know why I didn't find Wurm sooner.