Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Gray wolves

They should be as strong as black wolves, but only appear in packs 3-5 and attacking one of them will trigger aggro for the entire pack.

Drop gray wolf fur that can be turned into a helmet similar to the brown bear helm.

why not.. just use any or ql100 fur from normal wolves and have extra option to dye it with lye to gray it or in any other color?..(I can see the rainbow color army of alts already)

packs attacking is retarded.. because you do NOT have aoe in wurm... you'll just get your armor messed or get new players bagged(killed) for no reason.. just for the lul caps.. -.-

* many mobs on you.. debuff you.. this is ensuring a newbie some death(s) and issues to retrieve it's body with items.

6 minutes ago, Finnn said:

why not.. just use any or ql100 fur from normal wolves and have extra option to dye it with lye to gray it or in any other color?..(I can see the rainbow color army of alts already)

packs attacking is retarded.. because you do NOT have aoe in wurm... you'll just get your armor messed or get new players bagged(killed) for no reason.. just for the lul caps.. -.-

* many mobs on you.. debuff you.. this is ensuring a newbie some death(s) and issues to retrieve it's body with items.

Ok, then let them spawn only at nights and despawn during day if they are not on sight of any player. Fair?

Disregard the pack idea, I think wolf helmets really should be introduced in game.

Edited by Rotgut
  • Like 1

dumb wolf idea aside, i agree. more helms and variety in armor appearance would be cool

• Like 1

I think wolves should run in small packs period, and larger packs in the winter time... but that is just me. 

Make the lone black wolf a dire wolf and therefore stronger than it is currently as well as more rare, and let us use it for wolf headgear and fur from normal wolves for wolf hide fur capes and such.  But that means adding capes in general too.

• Like 1

I'm always for new creatures and grey wolves would be nice. And I personally am not against wolf packs as they do travel and hunt irl in packs, however Finnn is correct in that they would just devastate new players.

Edited by Katrat

1 hour ago, Katrat said:

I'm always for new creatures and grey wolves would be nice. And I personally am not against wolf packs as they do travel and hunt irl in packs, however Finnn is correct in that they would just devastate new players.

Same as trolls or crocs or anakondas... or my nightmare when I was new... hell hounds.

The main Problem with packs is that Towerguards will only atack one target so they are more dangerus for new Players. But we miss a difficulty level above spieders and befor the crocs/scorpions in my opinion. Hellhound some waht fill this but becous of ther gigantic aggro range they mostly death short after they spawnd. I think a Wolfpack around or slightly less then a Spieder CR would be a neat addition. And Wolfheads are great we have a few people ask for one after they have seen the bear on and was realy upset to find out they don`t exist. I am all for more Miidrange Monsters that make the World a bit more dangerus but also not as stupidly deadly as Trolls.

• Like 1

A pack of wolves would have to function as a very high-end "wave" of aggro mobs.  The IRL reason for pack-hunting would apply here.  Wolves hunt in packs because it is an extremely effective way to take down extremely tough prey.  A new-ish player would have very little ability to deal with these, and even middling players would probably be in trouble if caught out alone.  Even running all kermit-arms to the nearest guard tower (my favourite fighting move) wouldn't help because a pack as small as 3 would get many hits against the player due to the singular nature of attacking.  

I still give hell hounds a very wide clearance, but this would be worse because spotting one animal and trying to stay out of their aggro range could drive you straight into another member of the pack (again, this is why packs work).  

I am not completely against this notion, but I think it needs a lot of work to avoid badly unbalancing the game. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

A pack of wolves would have to function as a very high-end "wave" of aggro mobs.  The IRL reason for pack-hunting would apply here.  Wolves hunt in packs because it is an extremely effective way to take down extremely tough prey.  A new-ish player would have very little ability to deal with these, and even middling players would probably be in trouble if caught out alone.  Even running all kermit-arms to the nearest guard tower (my favourite fighting move) wouldn't help because a pack as small as 3 would get many hits against the player due to the singular nature of attacking.  

I still give hell hounds a very wide clearance, but this would be worse because spotting one animal and trying to stay out of their aggro range could drive you straight into another member of the pack (again, this is why packs work).  

I am not completely against this notion, but I think it needs a lot of work to avoid badly unbalancing the game. 

This is what it is all about. Certain areas should be difficult to settle. But in order not to make the game too difficult, I gave an example that a pack of wolves can only appear at night. All animals behave like zombies that move around aimlessly, having a pack of wolves acting a little different would make the game more interesting.

I also think more mid-level content and challenges would add a lot to this game. At the moment I am at end game for PvE hunting a bit of a challenge would be nice, and champions are pretty rare and not worth damage of my weapon, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, Darnok said:

At the moment I am at end game for PvE hunting

No, you really are not.  I would recommend you get to mid-level content before you start declaring what would add to it.  Different beasts certainly do behave differently, and that you can't appreciate this yet is perhaps a sign you haven't yet gotten all you can from hunting.  Experience which pursuers will follow you through unlocked gates, or into the water.  Find out the hard way how well an anaconda, or crocodile, or even hell hound, can hide when lurking.  Gather and sell a barrel of octopus ink.  Try hunting not to kill but to tame.  I would expect that there really is a lot of content, even narrow-scoped to PVE hunting, that you have not experienced.  Did you not begin on Melody?  That means you have been in-game for a squeak less than 2 months.  You are nowhere near "end-game".

There is a difference between challenging and discouraging, and Wurm already sails pretty close to the wind on that score for neophytes.  Read some of the "what made your start difficult" thread and there is  a bit of a theme.  A co-operating pack of wolves would probably drive newcomers from the game, as not only are they unable to defeat them, they can't even really avoid them.  Guard towers would become almost useless, while currently they are an important feature that allows players to set their own comfort level with aggro mobs - although this is not something that the North has much of yet, because the Northern Islands, where you are located, are too new (i.e. the environmental content itself is not yet mid level).

The "only at night" idea doesn't actually make anything easier because we don't get to choose how the hours we can play coincide with in-game time-of-day.  Believe me, it would not bode well for the game if players have to check the in-game clock and decide if they need to NOT log in this time.  Like I said, I am not totally against the idea, but it is likely to badly skew the game unless very carefully designed and tested.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

how about the alfa wolf, if u chase n kill it ,so they dont really hunt u to start with ,,u then get to have 1 of the pups/of pack which doesnt attack u to keep to tame and protect and follow/fight for u like the dog should have till death. this would help new guys a bit of back up or a escape while its protecting them against the spider or troll .we could have breeding of them as well for older players and get rid of the other (over blown )things that can fight  with u seen at rifts doing the same thing .so it can be done

Reading some of the responses I feel inclined to say that I'd not envision wolf packs to be very common, first off.  It is not as if new players are going to be hunted down by wolf packs any time they go anywhere.  I suggested earlier having dire wolves running around on their own, and wolf packs that could be encountered as well (but more rarely, I'll add here).  Second, in reality wolf packs avoid people as a general rule unless on the verge of starving.  This should be reflected in the way they behave in Wurm, for the most part. 

In the non winter seasons, make them so they do not aggro on a player unless one of their members is attacked. When that happens, the pack responds to the offending player who picked the fight.  For this reason, guards will only laugh at you if you call them for help. You should not have messed with the wolves if you were not ready for what you were stepping into. Wolves and wolf packs should also be inclined to attack animals when hungry, making them a bit of a nuisance if you keep a lot of critters in the area 

(If I really wanted to make them a serious issue needing dealing with by husbandryman, I'd say packs should congregate in areas where there are a lot of farm animals/herds, and allow wolves to be able to pass any fence types that would make sense- wood plank fences, rope fences, chain fences, low fence types, etc.  Make it so that they only hunt down animals for food at night for an added twist to their behavior). 

In the winter, wolf packs should aggro on players and be more inclined to attack other animals for food (greatly increase the rate at which they become hungry in winter), and make them roam around more in the winter in search of food.  Wolves targeting a player's mount in winter months should be a thing as well, but of course we know the community likely won't go for that- how dare we really make them a problem in PVE? Even experienced players encountering a rare wolf pack in winter would have to be on guard for the sake of their favorite critters. 

Another idea might be that wolves run alone in the non winter months, but form packs for hunting together in the winter, with all the added winter aggro traits I suggested above.

Just some thoughts. Really like the OP idea with some tweaking needed.  Enjoying thinking through how this could work.

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

No, you really are not.

I'm sure I know a little better where I'm at 😉

I would recommend you get to mid-level content before you start declaring what would add to it.  Different beasts certainly do behave differently, and that you can't appreciate this yet is perhaps a sign you haven't yet gotten all you can from hunting.  Experience which pursuers will follow you through unlocked gates, or into the water.  Find out the hard way how well an anaconda, or crocodile, or even hell hound, can hide when lurking. 

Anacondas, crocodiles, hell hounds (I have about 50 charcoal from killing hell hounts and lava fiends) and trolls. I can kill a ven troll without a pet. The question is what next? If this is not the end game in PvE hunting then where are the stronger creatures? I could try to kill the greenish troll after the weapon upgrade, but what for? What's the reward for something like this?

Gather and sell a barrel of octopus ink.  Try hunting not to kill but to tame.  I would expect that there really is a lot of content, even narrow-scoped to PVE hunting, that you have not experienced.  Did you not begin on Melody?  That means you have been in-game for a squeak less than 2 months.  You are nowhere near "end-game".

I can leave my character in the middle of a desert full of scorpions and they'll probably all die over night.

There is a difference between challenging and discouraging, and Wurm already sails pretty close to the wind on that score for neophytes.  Read some of the "what made your start difficult" thread and there is  a bit of a theme.  A co-operating pack of wolves would probably drive newcomers from the game, as not only are they unable to defeat them, they can't even really avoid them.  Guard towers would become almost useless, while currently they are an important feature that allows players to set their own comfort level with aggro mobs - although this is not something that the North has much of yet, because the Northern Islands, where you are located, are too new (i.e. the environmental content itself is not yet mid level).

One of my earlier ideas was to lock the towers so that they only help deed villagers and not random wanderers. The current mechanics make it too easy to hunt if there is a tower or a deed with a guard nearby.

The "only at night" idea doesn't actually make anything easier because we don't get to choose how the hours we can play coincide with in-game time-of-day.  Believe me, it would not bode well for the game if players have to check the in-game clock and decide if they need to NOT log in this time.  Like I said, I am not totally against the idea, but it is likely to badly skew the game unless very carefully designed and tested.

For me, hunting in PvE is incredibly easy. If someone dies by animals, it is of his own mistakes. You don't need a lot of knowledge about the game to escape a troll even on foot.

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

For me, hunting in PvE is incredibly easy. If someone dies by animals, it is of his own mistakes. You don't need a lot of knowledge about the game to escape a troll even on foot.

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

Anacondas, crocodiles, hell hounds (I have about 50 charcoal from killing hell hounts and lava fiends) and trolls. I can kill a ven troll without a pet. The question is what next? If this is not the end game in PvE hunting then where are the stronger creatures? I could try to kill the greenish troll after the weapon upgrade, but what for? What's the reward for something like this?

This is why we need more unique and legendary creature spawns!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Katrat said:

This is why we need more unique and legendary creature spawns!

And troll and goblin dens/strongholds, and wolf packs and such- something that requires players to take those high skills they've earned and form hunting parties to deal with tougher challenges.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Darnok said:

I'm sure I know a little better where I'm at 😉

Sorry, but at 2 months in, no, you don't.

So, on the Northern servers, you have hunted all 14 separate uniques and participated in rifts?  Wow, that's really "ahead of the game" (ahem).

Since you seem more interested in fisking about it than considering what I am trying to say (and I can't even see the connection between some of your responses and the quote to which it purports to be responding), I don't think meaningful discussion is going to progress.  So, rather than further discussion I will again just state how I see it.

Your suggestion as made will in my opinion unbalance the game and drive new players away.

Edited by TheTrickster

6 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Sorry, but at 2 months in, no, you don't.

So, on the Northern servers, you have hunted all 14 separate uniques and participated in rifts?  Wow, that's really "ahead of the game" (ahem).

Since you seem more interested in fisking about it than considering what I am trying to say (and I can't even see the connection between some of your responses and the quote to which it purports to be responding), I don't think meaningful discussion is going to progress.  So, rather than further discussion I will again just state how I see it.

Your suggestion as made will in my opinion unbalance the game and drive new players away.

Rifts are not regular monster hunting.
I am writing about ordinary hunts in which you decide when it takes place. On the one hand, you consider the idea of a group of wolves appearing at night wrong, and on the other hand you consider the Rift to be part of the hunt. What if someone is unable to attend?

The solution that will provide a greater challenge while protecting new players is simple. Spawns of mobs should gradually get more difficult the further you are from the starting city. That way, if you are new, you will stick to the terrains with mobs on your level. And stronger players will hunt in places far away from cities where something stronger than trolls can spawn and also more useful that gives fur or skin.

16 hours ago, Darnok said:

Spawns of mobs should gradually get more difficult the further you are from the starting city. That way, if you are new, you will stick to the terrains with mobs on your level. And stronger players will hunt in places far away from cities

Now that is something I support, and in fact I suggested it before the launch of the new servers.  However, given the spawn issues that are going on at the moment, devs might be reluctant to tinker much with it.

Edited by TheTrickster
No, I won't snark.

im thinking a island /server of just creatures would be the solution ban all deeds just full on everything deadly and the wolfs then be fine there , could use a server going empty now not mentioning any names ,could then put everything even new creatures on the island and the more inland the harder n tougher they are ,  and the spawn issues need fixing horses in the sea no creatures at all lower zan id like to see fixed

There is hope for the creature spawns on Xan:

Edited by Katrat

We need stronger normal/common monsters for everyday hunting (not just special events) and better rewards from those monsters... [12:15:31] A venerable greenish troll is dead. R.I.P.

i6sLTDZ.jpg

great idea, i had idea of 'smart giblins with trolls (like ally)' they kinda settle at disbanded deeds, and move with groups!
However i like to start with wolves! +1 from me

• Like 1