Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Visible player skills

Give the possibility to view the skills of other players on the same principle as we can see what they are wearing.

2 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

-1 Not every player wants their skill set to be known.

and? What is the point in hidding them from others other than deception? While on PvP I could understand that, on PvE I can't.

What is the point of letting other people know our skills?

6 minutes ago, Cecci said:

What is the point of being able to see ql of my armor or weapon?

Edited by Darnok

14 minutes ago, Darnok said:

and? What is the point in hidding them from others other than deception? While on PvP I could understand that, on PvE I can't.

I mean with that mind set why not show how much money each player has?? or how many marks, jackal points, etc. Some people like privacy. It has nothing to do with deception. 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Darnok said:

"Oh cool I like this outfit what is he wering?"

VS

" He I have see you have Blacksmith and Mining 90 can you PLS imp my stuff and best do it for free since its so esay for you"

" he this new guy in our Village don´t have grindet any skills yesterday I look it up my self we shuld kick him"

Need more examples why this is not a good idea? Of cours we have Titles were you can show of a bit and this is a Choise you do on your own. Skills are somthing you don´t want to be to often compare to other people since it creat a loop of problems with selfconfidents for some persons. QL of stuff don`t say a lot about your skill you could have bought it, trade it or you was reaöy lazy/dedicatet during the Imping.

Edited by Radircs
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, brattygirl said:

I mean with that mind set why not show how much money each player has?? or how many marks, jackal points, etc. Some people like privacy. It has nothing to do with deception. 

If you need privacy, play the single player game. Money is another matter and it has to do with the real world, so it can be hidden, but the skills and what you're wearing are just pixels, the only reason you want to hide them is to cheat on other people.

8 minutes ago, Radircs said:

"Oh cool I like this outfit what is he wering?"

VS

" He I have see you have Blacksmith and Mining 90 can you PLS imp my stuff and best do it for free since its so esay for you"

" he this new guy in our Village don´t have grindet any skills yesterday I look it up my self we shuld kick him"

Need more examples why this is not a good idea? Of cours we have Titles were you can show of a bit and this is a Choise you do on your own. Skills are somthing you don´t want to be to often compare to other people since it creat a loop of problems with selfconfidents for some persons. QL of stuff don`t say a lot about your skill you could have bought it, trade it or you was reaöy lazy/dedicatet during the Imping.

The name of the item and its ql are two different things, right? If ql is displayed, why can't skills be? Maybe I want to know if this person could make the item themselves and buy the same from them?

You just confirmed that hiding skills is only meant to trick other players. Exactly this knowledge would be very useful in larger communities. This would let you know what you can do and what other players are doing.

I am writing from a PvE perspective, skills can be hidden on PvP servers.

Edited by Darnok

Seems like this is one of those discussions, like pve vs pvp, that comes down to personal tastes and playstyle. I'd say the ability to show/hide skills should be a profile toggle if ever implemented... Defaulted to off in my opinion to grant folks privacy to start and then they can choose to show or not depending on the situation.

13 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

Seems like this is one of those discussions, like pve vs pvp, that comes down to personal tastes and playstyle. I'd say the ability to show/hide skills should be a profile toggle if ever implemented... Defaulted to off in my opinion to grant folks privacy to start and then they can choose to show or not depending on the situation.

Why do you want to hide what you are doing in the game from other players?

On the PvP server, there is no point in showing your skills to others, because there you can face them n combat and check it hard way, but in PvE there is no reason to hide your skills. It is not a question of privacy.

Edited by Darnok

Terrible idea. Especially on pvp where having such knowledge plays a huge factor in target calling and general pvp.

On PvE it's a matter of privacy. You don't need to know what my skills are, unless I decide to tell you.

This somewhat translates to real life too. I don't want every random person to know who I am and what I like to do.

Edit: To add to this, since skills move over from PVE to PVP and vica versa, having it displayed on just pve won't work well either.

If you wish to share your stats with others, show off your titles.

One the off chance that something like this makes it ingame, it should be a toggle that is off by default.

Edited by GroeneAppel
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darnok said:

On the PvP server, there is no point in showing your skills to others, because there you can face them n combat and check it hard way, but in PvE there is no reason to hide your skills. It is not a question of privacy.

How is it not a question of privacy? It's a players choice as to what information of theirs should be shown. If they really want to display there skills they can use Niarja.com. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

non so they can take that away

You can look up player that not hide skills on https://niarja.com/

• Like 1

call me crazy, but maybe you can talk to people. this would solve your problems.

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I could easily ask why you feel you are entitled to see my skills. It's just one of these things that some will want on and others will want off for any number of reasons... hence why I suggested a simple toggle field on the profile.

While at it, remove all locks from all containers. Deed/structure permissions will stop people from taking the items but i want to see what they have. Surely the have nothing to hide.

Remember to disable locking the doors and fence gates.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SirMuttley said:

I could easily ask why you feel you are entitled to see my skills. It's just one of these things that some will want on and others will want off for any number of reasons... hence why I suggested a simple toggle field on the profile.

Tell me why not? It is a game where people are competing against each other and I want to know if I'm at the bottom of the list or at the top.

Tell me why not? It is a game where people are competing against each other and I want to know if I'm at the bottom of the list or at the top.

Because i don't want you to know my skills. Or anyone else for that matter. That's why i never uploaded them to Niarja.

Feel free to compete with other players who want to compete and/or show off their skills. Niarja exists for that reason. In-game solution would need an opt-in toggle.

Edited by Locath
  • Like 1

I'm not competing against anyone, except maybe myself. See, we have different play styles and approaches to the game. I could care less to "officially" see someone else's skills, and if I really want to know I'll ask them. I'm a fairly new player, but in my experience it is pretty easy to roughly gauge someone's skills by the ql of product or ease of their hunting, right?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

I'm not competing against anyone, except maybe myself. See, we have different play styles and approaches to the game. I could care less to "officially" see someone else's skills, and if I really want to know I'll ask them. I'm a fairly new player, but in my experience it is pretty easy to roughly gauge someone's skills by the ql of product or ease of their hunting, right?

If you don't get close to other players they won't be able to see your skills easily, so why all this complaining?

1 hour ago, Darnok said:
1 hour ago, Cecci said:

That's as you mention.. YOUR armor/weapon.. 

Not your character, not your gear, not your skills, you have no power here
a12.jpg

You can see other's skill on niarja.. how true or fake a profile there is.. is another topic, there's no reason to 'fake' numbers there, you gain nothing; profile there is usually used for personal progression tracking or to show in more visual way what you have.

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

If you don't get close to other players they won't be able to see your skills easily, so why all this complaining?

Complaining? I suggested making this a toggle and was attacked for the audacity to not want my skills broadcast. That said, I'm not against the idea of being able to share skills but privacy is nice.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SirMuttley said:

Complaining? I suggested making this a toggle and was attacked for the audacity to not want my skills broadcast. That said, I'm not against the idea of being able to share skills but privacy is nice.

But you would have privacy, just keep your character 3-4 tiles away from everybody and nobody is going to see your skills, how hard is that? Person from other side of the map won't be able to tell who your are and what you are doing, you have your privacy.

Just now, Darnok said:

But you would have privacy, just keep your character 3-4 tiles away from everybody and nobody is going to see your skills, how hard is that? Person from other side of the map won't be able to tell who your are and what you are doing, you have your privacy.

That's not how this should work and you know it.

There is no way to realisticly always keep that distance from another, unless you forever sit on deed.

And you should not expect others to keep '3-4 tiles away' from another. Please do that irl, but not ingame.

Again a community variant for this exists, and if it were ever to make it ingame it would be opt-in and not opt-out.

Players deserve their privacy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darnok said:

So if I am digging, or mining and someone decides to walk up to me, I should stop what I am doing to run away and keep the 3-4 tiles distance?

• Like 3