Sign in to follow this  
Hanel

Never Night

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We do want to make it darker, further tweaks will happen. 

Good, It gives a reason to have lights in game, Atm I dont need to use any lamps or lights on deed, can see fine the dead of night and thats broken and to be honest  if its too dark make or buy good ql lights problem solved like it should be, and no we shouldn't start with the making changes optional as were does it stop, not every change is going to make every player happy and the Devs cant keep making more and more options, what if you hate the dark altogether, have a daylight only mode or what about people scared of the dark, just crazy.

From what has been said it seems the nights got a little broken with some changes to the client in the past and all thats happening is the Devs are looking to fix it. I think put it back to pre broken levels of darkness and no one can complain. 

2 hours ago, Platyna said:

I am using it - I have an item with the strongest glow rune available. 

I could easily retaliate: just use your screen brightness settings. 

A GLOW rune isn't a lantern.

A LANTERN is a device created to shine a light around you and the better the ql, the more it would light up the area around you

2 hours ago, Platyna said:

If you make it darker many people, including me, will not be able to play normally at night, so I hope my subscription price will be reduced as I can't enjoy the game in full then 

I can't even play this game at my laptop, so does that mean my subscription price should be cut in half; as I can have only half of my alts online at once?

I really wish players would stop begging for some compensation the moment something in this game is bugged or not working.

22 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I see a considerable amount of egotism here. "I want no matter how much it impairs others". Sad, I thought to play with adult people.

No, it isn't.

Some want darker nights, some won't and those two groups will always clash.

Same as those two days some players call winter. For some it lasts two long, for others too short, for some it's too bright etc.

The time the gaming community thought and acted as a community in this game are already passed.

The only time something like a real community shows up, is when we have an impalong; although I've noticed that even those are more focussed at the continent the person organizing is from, as global.

But selfishness is something that's more common as exception these days. And I fear it'll only get worse.

As for my personal stance on this matter:

I'd love to see the darker nights I remeber from when starting this game back in 2015. It was quite fun to see the effect of your lantern or what happened when the lights at your deed went on. Not to mention not being able to see 4 tiles ahead in a tunnel.

However, considering things are right now, I also see the benefits of it; most important making it a lot easier NOT to get lost (unless you're Retro, streaming and trying to turn in a tunnel........).

Thorin :) 

20 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

So Wurm Online is the only Game where it is Day bright for some and black Night for some at the same Time...?

Hard to believe...

Maybe the Lightning as a whole in Game is bugging out...?

Wurm is a game where night appearance differs greatly from a computer to a computer. My computer has 2 graphic cards, on Intel card it is black as a tar pit, this is why I switched to Nvidia proprietary driver which I installed only to play Wurm. But I have shown you a screenshot where you barely can see a thing 2 tiles away, on deed with lanterns and 2 bright moons, and you are saying it is a "cloudy day". Several persons, including me, pointed out that nights were a lot darker and that rendered the game unplayable outside a house, for many people, yet you keep insisting on your view without any regard to your fellow players troubles.

@Thorinoakshield

11 minutes ago, Thorinoakshield said:

A GLOW rune isn't a lantern.

A LANTERN is a device created to shine a light around you and the better the ql, the more it would light up the area around you

I have a QL90 lantern, doesn't make things any better. When I started to play light sources were my first mayor investment, I even kept lamps in my pens, so I could at least groom animals at night. 

I can't even play this game at my laptop, so does that mean my subscription price should be cut in half; as I can have only half of my alts online at once?

I really wish players would stop begging for some compensation the moment something in this game is bugged or not working.

That is a straw man argument, so I am not going to address it. 

No, it isn't.

It is, because what one group wants makes the other group unable to play. You can play with day-like nights, I can't with pitch-black ones. The existence of winter and its length also does not hinder the game play. 

Edited by Platyna

1 minute ago, Platyna said:

Wurm is a game where night appearance differs greatly from a computer to a computer. My computer has 2 graphic cards, on Intel card it is black as a tar pit, this is why I switched to Nvidia proprietary driver which I installed only to play Wurm. But I have shown you a screenshot where you barely can see a thing 2 tiles away, on deed with lanterns and 2 bright moons, and you are saying it is a "cloudy day". Several persons, including me, pointed out that nights were a lot darker and that rendered the game unplayable outside a house, for many people, yet you keep insisting on your view without any regard to your fellow players troubles.

@Thorinoakshield

I have a QL90 lantern, doesn't make things any better. When I started to play light sources were my first mayor investment, I even kept lamps in my pens, so I could at least groom animals at night. 

That is a straw man argument, so I am not going to address it. 

It is, because what one group want is to make the other group unable to play. You can play with day-like nights, I can't with pitch-black ones. The existence of winter and its length also does not hinder the game play. 

Well.... on a Screenshot.... everyone sees the same, and i can see everything on them....

9 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

Well.... on a Screenshot.... everyone sees the same, and i can see everything on them....

These screenshots show current situation which can be summarized as: "dark but acceptable". 

3 hours ago, Platyna said:

Not to mention people who are more or less visually impaired. 

It's safe to say that most people that play this game are visually impaired when it comes to darkness, but today on How It's Made, we illuminate the bright history of the electric lightbulb.

Spoiler

Build a lantern.

if you can barely see a thing 2 tiles away in those screenshots that sounds like your monitor has messed up settings because that literally looks like early morning, your entire deed is easily visible and i can tell the trees on the mountain however far away it is apart from each other

• Like 1

@OblivionnreaverMy monitor works fine, and I am not the only person who had problems with Wurm being too dark. The fact you can see an illuminated house or trees illuminated by the night sky doesn't mean it is "early morning" or gives enough visibility to function normally. As I said, these screenshots show current state which is dark and acceptable, if you use the light source. 

@SovosYour comment that was so insightful, and came from such a deep analysis of a previous posting in this discussion, so it enriched the it greatly. Thank you. 

but those screenshots aren't dark at all, you can very clearly see everything- it's like the start of dusk, not the middle of the night

i yearn for the days where GigaFog returns where people are blind in all directions out 2 tiles, or going out at night without lanterns is impossible- nights should be as dark as an unlit cave. gives purpose to lamps anyways

• Like 3

im not sure what else to tell you im looking at the screenshot on my phone at 0% brightness and i can recognize everything in that image perfectly fine it has nothing to do with lamps or night sky showing outlines its quite literally not dark in any sense and if it seems dark i honestly cant think of anything that would make it seem so other than monitor settings or partial blindness, i have terrible vision irl and that image is fine to me even at 0% brightness

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RainRain said:

i yearn for the days where GigaFog returns where people are blind in all directions out 2 tiles, or going out at night without lanterns is impossible- nights should be as dark as an unlit cave. gives purpose to lamps anyways

These were the days nights. Good times. Inconvenient at times, but it added a layer of difficulty that was very unique to Wurm.

8 minutes ago, RainRain said:

but those screenshots aren't dark at all, you can very clearly see everything- it's like the start of dusk, not the middle of the night

nights should be as dark as an unlit cave. gives purpose to lamps anyways

wierd thing is for me those screenshots arent dark at all, but night ingame is just as dark as a cave.

3 minutes ago, RainRain said:

In my opinion they are dark enough to enable normal game play and it is consistent with the size and vicinity of moons, deed illumination etc. Making the nights darker will bring no gain to the game itself and since it differs greatly between setups it will hinder the game play for many people.

8 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

wierd thing is for me those screenshots arent dark at all, but night ingame is just as dark as a cave.

Because the screenshots above are Nvidia card with Nvidia proprietary drivers. The night I had when I started playing is this (I used Intel card): 

GWsfRZO.png

Edited by Platyna

3 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

Had that also, though not at the moment. This is my deed at night h5lAJ3o.jpg

and I can say I am content with. But it is in no way too bright.

So you suggest using crap Intel onboard Graphics to get proper Night....?

And no, it doesnt even need to be that dark.. thats too much even for me.

Edited by Caduryn

Just now, Ekcin said:

I am not using the Intel GC.

Yours is bright compared to the last from Platyna

9 minutes ago, Caduryn said:

Yours is bright compared to the last from Platyna

It is certainly brighter than when using the Intel GC. And I would not recommend to play with that which makes for detrimental frame rates. Still that is not at all "a cloudy day".

The proprietary Nvidia driver I am using on PC has the pretty new sky. It is certainly brighter but not so much: 8LxMr6B.jpg

While the sky certainly makes a difference I would not call that "a cloudy day". In daylight there are few if any effects of lamps even when lit. And I do not say that I am discontent with the current lighting, but darkenings bodes ill. Especially when sailing nights are still quite dark. This applies to both the nouveau/MesaDri and Nvidia proprietary drivers.

You may, btw. try to tweak brightness and/or limit max dynamic lights. That may give you better night feeling.

17 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

It is certainly brighter than when using the Intel GC. And I would not recommend to play with that which makes for detrimental frame rates. Still that is not at all "a cloudy day".

The proprietary Nvidia driver I am using on PC has the pretty new sky. It is certainly brighter but not so much: 8LxMr6B.jpg

While the sky certainly makes a difference I would not call that "a cloudy day". In daylight there are few if any effects of lamps even when lit. And I do not say that I am discontent with the current lighting, but darkenings bodes ill. Especially when sailing nights are still quite dark. This applies to both the nouveau/MesaDri and Nvidia proprietary drivers.

You may, btw. try to tweak brightness and/or limit max dynamic lights. That may give you better night feeling.

I was raised in a very, very wild part of Poland, my grandfather was a forester, so, obviously, we lived in a forest, not any forest, it was Puszcza Białowieska the last primal forest remaining in Europe, the nearest city was likes 100 km from the place we lived in and it was a dark time of the communist regime, so I was able to see how does the night looks with absolutely no light pollution. And while the night indeed looked like on the screenshot I posted recently, so without a light source you seen nothing at all, and with the light source you seen not much more, the sky, lit by all the stars, Milky Way and the full moon looks like on the screenshots you and me posted, the skies, especially in late autumn or in the winter are basically burning with eternal fire. Obviously it is not possible to make "accurate" and "real" night without hindering the game play, because the "real one" is pitch black. Most of the people posting here live in developed areas or in the big cities, so never seen how black the "real" night can be. 

Edited by Platyna

1 hour ago, Platyna said:

Most of the people posting here live in developed areas or in the big cities, so never seen how black the "real" night can be. 

With all due respect, but that's a bull ###### assumption.

I've travelled to quite some countries outside the one I'm living in and not all had the same kind of devellopment as my country does have.

Which means that I have experienced a night without light sources, I have experienced darkness inside a cave with just a single flashlight for 10 people and I have experienced a black-out during a foggy night with no more as 15 meters sight in the first place.

So don't assume anyone NOT living in Poland hasn't experienced "real" darkness, because I have and I'm pretty certain a large number of players NOT living in Poland have too.

And about quoting my "No, it isn't";

I clearly expained why I said that. I also explained why I made the reference about Wurm Winter, which is a discussion point from before I began playing 5 years ago. However, you either decided to ignore it or just don't want to read it,as you too are showing that selfish behaviour.

Obviously the nights are too dark for you, but you won't accept that they aren't for others. That's fine with me, but keep in mind that with that kind of behaviour you won't make many friends out here.

Thorin :)

• Like 1

I do not deem it overly constructive to heaten up the debate with polemics. Certainly, many countries have more or less remote areas with few or no light pollution, even densely populated ones like France, Germany, Austria etc. have, not to speak about Sweden and Finland where some of our players come from. Everybody who has done some outdoor activities in such regions such as camping, hiking etc. knows the experience of nights, dark as well as bright ones, in open nature. Much depends on the own night vision capabilities, then, though, even best night vision without technical equipment like lamps, infrared etc. is unable to pierce the darkness in caves. Photons do not travel around corners, usually. 

But all that is not the point, and the accusation of selfishness is unnecessary and unjustified. Of course, it is not selfish by itself to wish for darker nights for more immersion or whatever. But asking not to be blinded and rendered incapable to continue playing for hours is even less "selfish", and that demand is not equivalent to mainly aesthetic desires, understandable as they may be. Rather, it should be possible to play the game for all players all times of the Wurm day, and that has to take precedence.