Sign in to follow this  
Hanel

Never Night

That should be the name of the game. It's never night. It's always either twilight or day. Saw some people talking about that on Freedom chat and they are right. There's stars as though it's night, sure. But I can see those during the time the sun is up too. It really needs to be darker at night.

I'd say name the game Twilight but that's taken. 😊

Edited by Hanel

The nights in Wurm used to be pitch black. You absolutely needed a lantern to get around, and going out at night was much riskier to do.

Some people still can't see a damn thing at night, but for most people nights are rather bright.

I recall reading somewhere that this is actually a bug and meant to be fixed.

+1 in any case, bring back the dark nights in Wurm again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We do want to make it darker, further tweaks will happen. 

When you do that can you also please fix the 7pm night time and 2:40am daytime on cele shenans?

Also i really do believe wurm nights stopped being a thing a long time ago i still see nights on my laptop(bad dark to light ratio panel) and on my color accurate monitor but on my 2 gaming monitors its never dark dark just as if your in the shade :P

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 1

Nights are already totally black for me, but I know it is different for many people

• Like 1

On Wurm unlimited i had day time permanently set to midday, absolutely hate night time as it currently is. I remember when it was darker, hated it so much i barely played when i first started out due to this

• Like 2

I think there must be a way to choose. On my laptops, night is still damn dark, but still though barely playable. I recall the times when I had to moor my ship when out on unknown waters as it was impossible to make out any landmarks, no better than in thick fog (where it is intended to some extent).

On the other hand, when using PCs, the night is indeed brighter, maybe too bright though I don't see much about to object. I once quit the game in 2012 mainly because of the impossibility to get a light source once newbie light buff had expired, and the character in question was stuck in a mine. But it also largely depends on graphics controllers and graphics drivers. I you want the game exclusively running on PCs with proprietary Nvidia drivers, you may go ahead with pitch dark nights to some extent. I am not sure whether that is the right direction.

Edited by Ekcin

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

We do want to make it darker, further tweaks will happen. 

If you make it darker many people, including me, will not be able to play normally at night, so I hope my subscription price will be reduced as I can't enjoy the game in full then (and I use proprietary Nvidia drivers at their newest possible stable version). It is already very dark (it used to be better, I have a feeling it was already adjusted to be darker some time ago or it is my graphic driver), and when I started the game it was pitch black, and I had to basically stay home, lanterns and glowing items have way too small range to be helpful at all - I am a terraformer and I do sail a lot and I couldn't see a thing even at maxed brightness. If someone wants a very dark night they can put their screen darkness at 20%, no need to make the game miserable other people. 

Night in films and in games is covered by "licentia artistica" - who would watch a film or play a game where they can't see a thing? This is why it is bright and it is supposed to be bright, also it  is noteworthy that Wurm has three moons, all of them having a pretty high albedo, and two them either being enormous or very close to the planet. 

Not to mention people who are more or less visually impaired. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

12 minutes ago, Platyna said:

If you make it darker many people, including me, will not be able to play normally at night, so I hope my subscription price will be reduced as I can't enjoy the game in full then (and I use proprietary Nvidia drivers at their newest possible stable version). It is already very dark (it used to be better, I have a feeling it was already adjusted to be darker some time ago or it is my graphic driver), and when I started the game it was pitch black, and I had to basically stay home, lanterns and glowing items have way too small range to be helpful at all - I am a terraformer and I do sail a lot and I couldn't see a thing even at maxed brightness. If someone wants a very dark night they can put their screen darkness at 20%, no need to make the game miserable other people. 

Night in films and in games is covered by "licentia artistica" - who would watch a film or play a game where they can't see a thing? This is why it is bright and it is supposed to be bright, also it  is noteworthy that Wurm has three moons, all of them having a pretty high albedo, and two them either being enormous or very close to the planet. 

just use a lantern

2 minutes ago, Groot said:

just use a lantern

I am using it - I have an item with the strongest glow rune available. 

I could easily retaliate: just use your screen brightness settings. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Platyna said:

I could easily retaliate: just use your screen brightness settings. 

Turning down screen brightness darkens lights and lanterns too so it doesn't really work

Maybe make an option for actually dark nights vs whatever it is now? I love the idea of having actual nights..

Right now, i have to look at my lamps to verify its night time.. i cannot at first glance tell the difference between day and night a lot of the times..

• Like 1

IMO it was a much more exciting experience when nights were actually scary.

Miss the dark nights. PRE 2014 or w/e it was changed

40 minutes ago, xReesex said:

Maybe make an option for actually dark nights vs whatever it is now? I love the idea of having actual nights..

Right now, i have to look at my lamps to verify its night time.. i cannot at first glance tell the difference between day and night a lot of the times..

This is because it differs from a computer to a computer, this is why it shouldn't be set darker by default, but maybe some proper adjustment on the client should be  made available. This is how do night looks for me, even with proprietary Nvidia Driver, max brightness settings in Wurm. Second photo is a view on the construction site, and also shows how little light lanterns give, and it is on deed. Make it even one notch darker and I will need to forget about working on slopes or travelling at night. I am also an ASD person, with sensory hypersensitivity (I need to wear ear plugs or special earphones with active noise reduction and special glasses when going outside in most cases), so my screen brightness is usually max 50%, when I started to play Wurm it was so dark I had to put my screen brightness at max, but when I did it white elements, including text, caused headaches and lacrimation, and if I wanted to e.g. use a browser or a text editor I had to put it back at 50% which was annoying. In a present state I can use my computer normally. 

Spoiler

WPHJMA4.png

Spoiler

nP2mEvp.png

Spoiler

w3mYUzw.png

Edited by Platyna

Well for me Night is nearly the same as Day, so i really hope for changes....

41 minutes ago, Platyna said:

This is because it differs from a computer to a computer, this is why it shouldn't be set darker by default, but maybe some proper adjustment on the client should be  made available. This is how do night looks for me, even with proprietary Nvidia Driver, max brightness settings in Wurm. Second photo is a view on the construction site, and also shows how little light lanterns give, and it is on deed. Make it even one notch darker and I will need to forget about working on slopes or travelling at night. I am also an ASD person, with sensory hypersensitivity (I need to wear ear plugs or special earphones with active noise reduction and special glasses when going outside in most cases), so my screen brightness is usually max 50%, when I started to play Wurm it was so dark I had to put my screen brightness at max, but when I did it white elements, including text, caused headaches and lacrimation, and if I wanted to e.g. use a browser or a text editor I had to put it back at 50% which was annoying. In a present state I can use my computer normally. 

Hide contents

WPHJMA4.png

Hide contents

nP2mEvp.png

Hide contents

w3mYUzw.png

None of those screen shots are night. It's a cloudy day. 

• Like 2

Why not making 2 modes: one for having full realistic nights, and other for keeping as it is now? So everybody is happy and nobody is affected. Just like when the UI changes. 

2 hours ago, Platyna said:

Sorry but Wurm Online Nights are WAY brighter then any other Game-Nights and any Night in Films....

And no, Gamma wont do it because then Days are no longer Days....

Edited by Caduryn

I see a considerable amount of egotism here. "I want no matter how much it impairs others". Sad, I thought to play with adult people.

I would appreciate if there were a possibility to make such stuff configurable. This is already a bit the case with the "brighter" option, but the range of that is far too small.

So I would appreciate if those loving pitch dark nights could be given a chance to get them without harassing others.

And no, Gamma wont do it because then Days are no longer Days....

If we go back to the pitch black nights of the past, gamma would be the only way to continue playing for some. And on open source nvidia drivers this is not even possible.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

44 minutes ago, Hanel said:

None of those screen shots are night. It's a cloudy day. 

No idea what are your computer settings, but for me it is dark, and without a lantern I can't see a thing and it is a lot brighter than it used to be when I started playing. But I agreed with @Ekcina lot of people may lose the ability to normal play at night because of some other players "aesthetics". It should be either fully tweakeable or left as is. And honestly I am terrified by@Retrograde declaration. 

4 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I see a considerable amount of egotism here. "I want no matter how much it impairs others".

Where did you read that at?

6 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I see a considerable amount of egotism here. "I want no matter how much it impairs others". Sad, I thought to play with adult people.

I would appreciate if there were a possibility to make such stuff configurable. This is already a bit the case with the "brighter" option, but the range of that is far too small.

So I would appreciate if those loving pitch dark nights could be given a chance to get them without harassing others.

No one is talking about pitch black.....

But the actual Nights are just cloudy Days...

1 minute ago, xReesex said:

Where did you read that at?

Here e.g.:

But the actual Nights are just cloudy Days...

The correct phrasing would be "the actual Nights appear like cloudy Days on my box with my graphics controller".

The egotism consists in flatly denying that even the recent nights in no way appear as cloudy days for some, e.g. for me even on the PCs, especially on sea. And "I don't care if others cannot play for hours" is blatant egotism..

So Wurm Online is the only Game where it is Day bright for some and black Night for some at the same Time...?

Hard to believe...

Maybe the Lightning as a whole in Game is bugging out...?

Edited by Caduryn