Sign in to follow this  
NickWJM

Tending Farms and Yield

Dear all

I have been reading up about how tending farms effects final yield. However, what I have read in a few places seems to contradict my experiences. So I know most crops will go from seeds to harvest in anywhere to 3-5 days ish. That bit seems random and isnt affected in anyway by tending from what I can tell (please correct me if I am wrong). 

I know yield is also affected by skill. So lets say for a potato crop my normal yield if I tend the tile every day is a minimum of 3 up to a max of 5. 

I have read in a few places that to get the best yield it is recommended to tend the field a minimum of twice. However, I tried this and if I do then I will often only get a yield of 2. Sometimes I may of tended the tile 4 out of 5 times and still only get 2. 

In addition you often get the option to tend a field immediately prior to harvesting. Does this last minute farm action still impact the overall yield?

Sorry, lots of questions, very few answers. 

Thanks 

I took some of my info from here

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guides:Farming_With_Tritus

Under sneaky tips

It's best to farm at least two times before harvesting to ensure the most yield.

Edited by NickWJM

That guide, like many others, is very old. Farming system has changed since then.

Personally I'd recommend tending the farm tiles once every day.  Some might not need it, due to randomness, but it's a good trend to follow.  That'll get your Farming skill up and make sure you can harvest for the best results.

Your farming skill definitely is a factor in how much you harvest in the tile, though it's not immediately noticeable with each gain in skill.  You'll notice better yields by tending more often over time,  though, especially as your skill goes up.

• Like 2

Yield is mostly dependent on player skill (I think rake ql is factored in along with farming skill), how many times it's raked, and how well each raking went.

Each farm action or raking is essentially a skill roll. If you fail the skill roll the yield potential for that tile will advance little if any.  Harder corps will make it harder to get good skill rolls and thus likely end up with low yield. The farming result messages for raking outcomes are on the wiki.

For example, no matter how many times I rake sugar beets, onion, and garlic it's always a yield of 2 or 3 (I want those for cooking). Now for potato, I can get around 5.  The potato is 4 difficulty versus sugar beet at 85.

Okay, so, farming... yay. 
So here's some things, off the top of my head - 

- yield and quality of harvest increase as your farming skill increases
- the minimum yield is 2 (so, at very least, you will always get 1, sow 1)
- tending your field helps increase your yield (at least 1x day / 2x or more is recommended) 
- the order in which you do your farming activities can help you with yield & harvest quality, at least a little bit.
- Wurm math almost always factors in (1) relevant skill level and (2) active tool level. More complex activities start using additional factors to mathify, but these 2 factors are pretty much constant.

- different crops have different difficulty levels

Here is the crop difficulty table from the Farming wurmpedia page (last updated 2 September 2020)
https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Farming

Crop Difficulty
Potato 4
Cotton 7
Rye 10
Wemp 10
Cucumber 15
Oat 15
Pumpkin 15
Barley 20
Reed 20
Carrot 25
Wheat 30
Cabbage 35
Corn 40
Tomato 45
Lettuce 55
Onion 60
Strawberry 60
Pea pod 65
Garlic 70
Rice 80
Sugar beet 85

1. increase yield by increasing skill 
Use the crop difficulty guide to adjust your tool quality. The idea here is to stay in the "skill window" and maximize earning skill ticks. When you perform an action, Wurm performs a skill check by using math on your skill level & your tool quality level versus the difficulty level... If the skill check returns a number from 1.01 thru 39.99, you are probably going to have a skill tick. So if you are trying to farm a high-difficulty crop, but your skill is low, you'll need a higher quality level tool to help your low skill stay in the skill window. The reverse is also true (for skill gains, you want to land in a middle area between "failure" and "way OP").

There is a second way to go about this, although the idea (stay in the skill window) is the same. In this version, you keep the rake you've got and adjust your crops instead. No matter what the quality of your tool, you can use the crop difficulty chart to focus your farming only with crops that keep you in the zone. Upside: there is less swapping between different quality rakes for different crops..... downside: a potato / cotton / wemp / rye diet is not going to help you eat quality meals. Unless someone else is feeding you, you'll likely end up hungry a lot, and super bored of mashed potato-on-rye sandwiches. 

2. increase yield by letting animals graze
Just in case you don't already know - when an animal grazes on a crop tile, they eat off the "new growth" and the crop is reduced by 1 growing stage. Now, I don't actually know the part that happens in the middle here - so, basically Wurm magic happens - and when the crop advances into that next growth stage again the yield when harvested gains a +1. #magic 

3. every little bit counts
Personally, I really don't care for skill level focused game play (aka "grinding"). When I'm playing a game, I like purpose and functionality in my actions. I want my character's actions to be realistic and make sense inside the game world. If I was my character, living in Wurm, I wouldn't sow an entire field with only cotton and potatoes; I wouldn't know the skill gain math, and I would very much like to eat some strawberries. So my primary goal when farming is to farm for the food materials I want to be eating, cooking, or selling. But... I also don't want to shoot myself in the game play foot, either. It's one thing to be nerfed by devs - it's an entirely different thing to hinder yourself on purpose over a matter of principle. 

My solution is this: decide which crops you are going to be planting.... arrange your farm tiles in order according to the difficulty chart. Always tend your crops first, in the difficulty order (moving from easy to hard). Then go back to "easy" and harvest your crops, again going in order of difficulty. Doing this means that you have eked out every possible skill tick from tending before you even start harvesting... and you maybe also got some skill ticks while harvesting before you reached the hardest crops. This maximizes your chance for the highest possible yields per crop harvested. And you get to eat strawberries. 

I hope some small bit of this helps! 
~ Lady Amata of Havensfield

• Like 2