Sign in to follow this  
Hypatia

Cadence Field Preservation Society

I also really love these patches of grassy hills.  A friend and I even deeded in one of these places.  I'll be helping maintain these patches whenever possible as well - especially in my backyard.

Just to add a little on the distance sprouts will travel, I've wondered this as well and am pretty confident that it is AT LEAST 6 tiles. 

I'm not sure how to best maintain these grassy plains/hills either.  For now, I'm planning on keeping them trimmed back manually and possibly considering a buffer of oak trees here and there.  Feeling like I'm the first wurmian to go through these areas is amazing.  And those natural tree lines really do it for me!  It's good to know others will be preserving this kind of beauty too!

• Like 1

I've seen saplings appear ten tiles away from the nearest tree. 

I think that the best solution is for hunters to become foresters, and cut down saplings that are growing near the boundaries of a forest. Passive defences will work, but they take a lot of effort to set up, and they don't (in general) enhance the natural beauty of the landscape.

• Like 1

Tree hunters on safari.   There has to be a Monty Python sketch for that somewhere.

• Like 1

How do we feel about clear cutting a forrest to make plains where some didn't exist before?

3 hours ago, Waughee said:

How do we feel about clear cutting a forrest to make plains where some didn't exist before?

Not so good, and it would be more work than keeping the plains that exist clear in the first place.  My opinion, anyway...

• Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, Waughee said:

At this point I would embrace this idea, as a lot of the wild meadows are now gone. 😕

Edited by Synoeca
  • Like 1

I just found this old thread, it has quite a lot of information missing throughout. In case someone reads it later, I will fill in a couple of bits :)

1) Steppe will always grow over grass, in contrast to what was claimed here. Although not stated very clearly, this is the reason why Muse had a gravel barrier between steppe and grass.

2) Dirt will turn into grass >> will turn into trees. These "evolutionary steps" are much faster than the steps of steppe growing over dirt or grass, therefore leaving dirt somewhere will never lead to permanent grass or steppe cover, it will result in a secondary forest on most of the area.

3) At has been indicated, a tree can spread its sprout exactly 10 tiles. This also goes for the diagonal direction.

4) Any barrier such as sand will keep trees away if it covers these 10 tiles, or a barrier of 9 steppe + 1 sand will also do it.

5) Another, more pleasing option is to enchant all the trees in the barrier range, this will reduce spread of trees to near-zero. I have actually done this. You can cut down some of the trees if you know what you are doing, because a tree will not plant itself next to another tree.

Edited by CistaCista
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 1:55 AM, CistaCista said:

I just found this old thread, it has quite a lot of information missing throughout. In case someone reads it later, I will fill in a couple of bits :)

1) Steppe will always grow over grass, in contrast to what was claimed here. Although not stated very clearly, this is the reason why Muse had a gravel barrier between steppe and grass.

2) Dirt will turn into grass >> will turn into trees. These "evolutionary steps" are much faster than the steps of steppe growing over dirt or grass, therefore leaving dirt somewhere will never lead to permanent grass or steppe cover, it will result in a secondary forest on most of the area.

3) At has been indicated, a tree can spread its sprout exactly 10 tiles. This also goes for the diagonal direction.

4) Any barrier such as sand will keep trees away if it covers these 10 tiles, or a barrier of 9 steppe + 1 sand will also do it.

5) Another, more pleasing option is to enchant all the trees in the barrier range, this will reduce spread of trees to near-zero. I have actually done this. You can cut down some of the trees if you know what you are doing, because a tree will not plant itself next to another tree.

Thank you for the info!  I do think it's largely too late for the Cadence meadows, but it is good to know regardless. :)

It might not be for everyone but a compramise that I think is visually appealing is to just manage an area that has bushes and trees competing for space.

Raspberry and Blueberry bushes for example do not take up a great deal of tile space and if you was to give them a helping hand by removing Trees that pop up in their area, they give a much more open feel than a big forest would.

I like my prairie outside my deed on Cadence.  I call it the Pristine Prairie, and my alt there, IvarAmmentorp takes a daily ride around the perimeter chopping saplings, looking for dotted flowers, does a little hunting, and collecting chickens.  As shriveled trees die and respawn, he finds them and ends them.  This more or less passive management over the last 8 months has pushed the northern boundary about 15 tiles North, creating more prairie.  Certainly slow, but I imagine the prairie would be quite small by this time if having done nothing.

For those interested, here's what it looks like at my horse farm where I have used two characters to enchant the barrier trees.

At a distance, you don't see that those birch trees are enchanted. At winter time it does become a white/green checkerboard of sorts.

I cannot completely leave it without maintenance, as enchanting only stops something like 90-95 % of sprouting events. Spreading would eventually occur.

dfM4BBp.png

Edited by CistaCista