Drogos

WurmNode

On 9/14/2022 at 5:27 PM, Viceren said:

Thanks for stepping up to take Niarja's place. I'm already trying to get people to convert over early before the October deadline hits.

I know what I'm about to do will be annoying, but I figured I'd post the things I love about Niarja that WurmNode currently doesn't have. I don't know the viability of such things, but I figured some minor feedback like this could be useful:

Thanks you! Most of the improvements have come from wishes in different channels, they are mighty welcome, and more like the opposite of annoying!

1. STP currently isn't shown on the character page. You have to go to the Top page to do comparisons. It's minor, but I have to open 4 pages to compare my STP and skills, when I only needed to have the 2 character pages open to compare.

Ah, yep, that should totally be there, thanks!

1. Skills are compact, yet still too large to show up for a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen. Niarja had this problem too - except the skills that were cut off on Niarja were less important ones for comparing growth on like Ballistae/Catapults. Perhaps widening the skills section from 3 lines to 4 would alleviate this. 
      Reveal hidden contents

02uKiyn.jpg

Good point, I will try to work something out to improve this!

1. Comparison charts; comparing old skill dumps to new skill dumps; the ability to delete old skill dumps that are duplicates or no longer relevant.

The whole skill history is in dire need of being developed for sure! How it works right now, is that it shows the latest skills dump that was uploaded. Also, not delete yet, working on that also.

1. There is no character page link on the front page. I'm pretty egotistical and narcissistic so I bookmark my own page - but some people may prefer just having a quick and easy link on the front page that leads them to their personal character(s).

That is true, will keep this working in the background for how it could fit in to the contents :)

On 9/14/2022 at 5:38 PM, Viceren said:

Because I was asked in game a couple of times now. Here's my derpy tutorial on how to add your skills:

This whole thing, wow! That is am impressive guide! Thank you so much for making that one! I would like it to be more visible, is it ok if I copy it into the first post maybe, or other suggestions?

Edited by Drogos
typo
  • Like 1

Feel free to use it, change it, update it, rearrange it. It's yours.

I made it to help more people add themselves to the skill list. The more who do, the more accurate the charts become and the more useful the service becomes for everyone.

Other suggestions that don't exist on Niarja, but I wish they did:

• A way to compare your own STP growth rate. They had charts for skills, but not STP - despite being able to see the STP growth in the "Delete character" section.
  • An indicator that tells you how much a skill is worth at max level, STP-wise. We could figure it out ourselves 'after' grinding it, or comparing it from someone who has already grinded it, but Niarja seemed to hate smithing skills and ranked them really lowly for STP,  even Weaponsmithing/Metallurgy which are regarded as some of the hardest skills to grind in game, and there was no real way to figure out why, or see it ahead of time.

Design choices that I would like:

• Icons for skills. It's a bit jarring seeing all of the information as text alone. Obviously stealing this idea from Niarja again.
  • A top 10 of personal skills on the character skill page. Again, stealing this idea from Niarja.
  • Like 2

Was wondering if you plan on trying to get the past deed info ported over from Niarja, and also if there are plans to expand the deed founding and disbanding section so that one can see more than just the last day or two. Also, if there's plans to separate the founding and disbanding sections.

Appreciate the hard work you're putting in, thanks for that :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Viceren said:

Feel free to use it, change it, update it, rearrange it. It's yours.

Thanks! :D

• A way to compare your own STP growth rate. They had charts for skills, but not STP - despite being able to see the STP growth in the "Delete character" section.

I like it! When skill growth is in place, it is easy (I think) to add this as well :)

• An indicator that tells you how much a skill is worth at max level, STP-wise. We could figure it out ourselves 'after' grinding it, or comparing it from someone who has already grinded it, but Niarja seemed to hate smithing skills and ranked them really lowly for STP,  even Weaponsmithing/Metallurgy which are regarded as some of the hardest skills to grind in game, and there was no real way to figure out why, or see it ahead of time.

Added in stp / max stp for each skill on the character page on mouse over skill levels. Is this what you think of? If not, please share, and I modify :)

• Icons for skills. It's a bit jarring seeing all of the information as text alone. Obviously stealing this idea from Niarja again.

I plan to make some user defined setting for how the page should look, this is something I think could fit there, noted as a wish for future! :)

• A top 10 of personal skills on the character skill page. Again, stealing this idea from Niarja.

Yeah, this can be done, will look into it :)

Also, I tried fixing some of the stuff you mentioned in the last posts:

* On wider screen, the skill list on the character page now breaks free of the limited page with, and has four columns instead of three.

* The character page now lists total stp and total skill points.

Some people have also asked to swap the location of skill points and other character info, so I did that also (hope that is good).

2 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

Was wondering if you plan on trying to get the past deed info ported over from Niarja, and also if there are plans to expand the deed founding and disbanding section so that one can see more than just the last day or two. Also, if there's plans to separate the founding and disbanding sections.

Appreciate the hard work you're putting in, thanks for that :)

On 9/12/2022 at 9:48 AM, Drogos said:

I would love to have more history in. Currently I only have data dating back to 2019 some time. I do not know how to get older history, so here I am dependent on help. All I can do is hope that someone chips in with more data.

I have not thought about more history for the server deeds, but for sure, can add in a tools page to list out more statistic on this! :D

• Like 1

Appreciate that Drogos, I know I'm a special case as most people seem more concerned about tracking their stats and comparing skills with each other. I however, am focused on keeping the Xan map as up to date as possible, so am constantly scanning for disbanded deeds to take off the map. With Niarja I could scroll back days, weeks, even months and longer to see if a deed had been disbanded. As it stands now, if I take a vacation for a few days and don't have access to my computer, I may come back to find a slew of new deeds that have moved the earlier disbands off the list.  With the holidays coming up in a few short months this is a real concern to me. Again, thanks for your efforts on this, much appreciated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

Appreciate that Drogos, I know I'm a special case as most people seem more concerned about tracking their stats and comparing skills with each other. I however, am focused on keeping the Xan map as up to date as possible, so am constantly scanning for disbanded deeds to take off the map. With Niarja I could scroll back days, weeks, even months and longer to see if a deed had been disbanded. As it stands now, if I take a vacation for a few days and don't have access to my computer, I may come back to find a slew of new deeds that have moved the earlier disbands off the list.  With the holidays coming up in a few short months this is a real concern to me. Again, thanks for your efforts on this, much appreciated.

For that I could make a special special page that formats the data so that deeds names are not clickable (so easier to copy paste), or any other things you can think of to make it is as steamlined for this as possible. I will start make a tool for server deed history :D

5 minutes ago, Drogos said:

For that I could make a special special page that formats the data so that deeds names are not clickable (so easier to copy paste), or any other things you can think of to make it is as steamlined for this as possible. I will start make a tool for server deed history

Dude, seriously, I'm not asking for a special page just for me, that's ridiculous. If, in the course of putting together the things that the majority of players are asking for, you happen to figure out a way for that box/window that holds the deed info to have a scrolling feature so that one could scroll thru say the last week or so, that'd be awesome.

• Like 1

Went through the updated site, and I love it. Even with it's current design, it's fully functional and good looking enough for continual use. The four rows is perfectly sized, even with the black space underneath. I imagine things will be added that'll take up the space over time. So that's good stuff.

The mouseovers are fantastic. Finally having Weaponsmithing get the STP love it deserves, and having visual confirmation with the mouseover warmed my heart. Even if it came at the cost of my HFC/Beverages gains which were relatively overvalued on Niarja.

Some things I've noticed regarding Sindusk's STP setup, it appears to give extra points to things the community considers difficult, yet there are things I would consider a little strange:

• Small Axe appears to be worth 24,586,364 at max, while Large and Huge Axe are the base 14,049,351 - Is this a design choice? I'm not a PvP'er anymore, so I'm not aware of Small Axe being any more difficult to grind.
  • Preaching and Exorcism, two notoriously difficult skills, also don't get very high totals. Both at 2,341,558 - neither are easy to grind, and could be considered harder than even Meditating.
  • Meditating doesn't get a very high total, despite widely being considered one of the most time consuming and hardest skills in the game. It caps out at 7,024,675 which is lower than even my beloved Weapon Smithing at 23,415,585.
  • The value for Mind Speed at a sizeable 140,493,510 seems very overvalued even if it is harder to grind than the other characteristics.
  • Soul Depth is absolutely and extremely overvalued at 187,324,680 - considering it's one of the easiest characteristics grinds thanks to panfilling.
  • Short Bow, Medium Bow and Long  Bow appear to be undervalued. They aren't any easier or harder to grind than the other weapon counterparts.
  • Milling is very undervalued considering it's a creation grind. It could at least be on par with another creation grind that's relatively easy to gather materials for like Papyrusmaking.
  • Thievery, Stealing, Lock Picking and Traps also feel slightly undervalued considering they don't have improvement grinds.
  • Firemaking feels undervalued due to how irritating it is to grind.
  • Climbing feels undervalued due to how irritating it is to grind.
  • Shield Bashing and Taunting have base maxes at 3,512,337 despite being difficult to grind.
Edited by Viceren
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

Dude, seriously, I'm not asking for a special page just for me, that's ridiculous. If, in the course of putting together the things that the majority of players are asking for, you happen to figure out a way for that box/window that holds the deed info to have a scrolling feature so that one could scroll thru say the last week or so, that'd be awesome.

Might be other maintainers that like to have one also! Just add history to the address bar of a server page, eg: https://www.wurmnode.com/server/xanadu/history and see if that is useful, happy to mod it if you can think of any improvements :)

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

30 minutes ago, Viceren said:

The mouseovers are fantastic. Finally having Weaponsmithing get the STP love it deserves, and having visual confirmation with the mouseover warmed my heart. Even if it came at the cost of my HFC/Beverages gains which were relatively overvalued on Niarja.

Thanks :) When it comes to STP, I have never looked at it before, and I have zero knowledge about it. That said, I understand some things might be changed, etc since Sundusk made these calculations. I would like to use a well known formula tho, so that anyone can validate calculations at any time. This means that I do not want to add in local modifications on my end without that becoming the open source standard maintained by someone else than me, atm that is Sindusk. Maybe @Sinduskhave some thoughts here? I have only one suggestion, and that is to make that a dedicated topic under the toolbelt, and WN can update calculations from this open source repository.

Edit: Just wanted to also say that the work to make STP calculations is beyond my skills.

Edited by Drogos

I also seem to be in minority here, but while I've never used Niarja for tracking my skills or anyone else's, I use it almost daily for that historical data about people's public activities and deeds and that's the bit I was most sad to lose - it's a really useful snapshot of information when, for example, considering new alliance members, tracking down former deed owners of archaeology sites, tracking anniversaries of older deeds, finding out who to contact when their settlement drops from upkeep, getting a sense of how experienced or how far back someone's been active in the game etc.

The searchable by settlement and player function of Niarja would be super useful, and if if's possible to get that historic data loaded in too, that would save mining Twitter (we hates it) for info.

Either way, though, Wurm Node is looking really good. As an aside, I tried to sign up for an account a couple of weeks ago (and have tried again just now) and get an internal server error each time. I'm using Chrome, but if it's a browser issue or a known issue with a workaround, let me know, and keep up the good work.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

The searchable by settlement and player function of Niarja would be super useful, and if if's possible to get that historic data loaded in too, that would save mining Twitter (we hates it) for info.

There is a search bar on the top, you can search there for both deeds and players (but data only goes back to 2019).

9 hours ago, crimsonearth said:

Either way, though, Wurm Node is looking really good. As an aside, I tried to sign up for an account a couple of weeks ago (and have tried again just now) and get an internal server error each time. I'm using Chrome, but if it's a browser issue or a known issue with a workaround, let me know, and keep up the good work.

There has been another that has similar issues. For some reason it seems to dislike some email addresses, working on a fix for that!

• Like 1

STP update!

* Any 99+ skills only gave 99 stp (99.1 gave the same as 99.995, both gave just a flat baseline for 99). This is now fixed.

* Soul depth had the wrong difficulty, and did give too much stp.

* The precision was set too low, and all skills gave too little stp.

By now you all know that this is still beyond my skills to understand (other than the codinging bugs I introduce), so thanks again to Sindusk debugging this with me and filtering out bug by bug :)

As a side note, if you have wide resulution, and 4 coulmns, toy now see top 10 skills, working on getting it to show on any resolution.

Edited by Drogos
typo
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

Very nice job! I love the update. I went from having like 20 questions about the STP, to only five.

Small Axe and Mind Speed feel far too overvalued, and I have zero idea why. Is there a bug with those two skills? I don't remember either being difficult to grind. Milling, Preaching and Exorcism still feel undervalued. Exorcism especially since the only way to grind it, is to make altars and destroy them. That's a horrible heinous grind and I would rather do Meditation. Milling is a creation only grind, unless there's an improvement grind that I'm missing, it definitely shouldn't be as low as it is. Tracking is the only one I'm letting go, because it can be done anywhere without materials.

I even remember Mind Speed was one of the easier ones with fight pitting. Even with the Fight Pit nerfs, it's still possible to Fight Pit. You even acknowledge Fight Pit's ease of grinding with Shields being lower compared to Weapons, yet Mind Speed dwarfs it all. I'm even tempted to go out and Fight Pit just to get some STP if Mind Speed stays this way. I might also give Small Axe a try for a while. ;)

Seriously though, epic job. I love it, and I'm already plotting out my STP grinds from this point on.

Edited by Viceren
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Viceren said:

Some things I've noticed regarding Sindusk's STP setup, it appears to give extra points to things the community considers difficult, yet there are things I would consider a little strange:

• Small Axe appears to be worth 24,586,364 at max, while Large and Huge Axe are the base 14,049,351 - Is this a design choice? I'm not a PvP'er anymore, so I'm not aware of Small Axe being any more difficult to grind.
  • Preaching and Exorcism, two notoriously difficult skills, also don't get very high totals. Both at 2,341,558 - neither are easy to grind, and could be considered harder than even Meditating.
  • Meditating doesn't get a very high total, despite widely being considered one of the most time consuming and hardest skills in the game. It caps out at 7,024,675 which is lower than even my beloved Weapon Smithing at 23,415,585.
  • The value for Mind Speed at a sizeable 140,493,510 seems very overvalued even if it is harder to grind than the other characteristics.
  • Soul Depth is absolutely and extremely overvalued at 187,324,680 - considering it's one of the easiest characteristics grinds thanks to panfilling.
  • Short Bow, Medium Bow and Long  Bow appear to be undervalued. They aren't any easier or harder to grind than the other weapon counterparts.
  • Milling is very undervalued considering it's a creation grind. It could at least be on par with another creation grind that's relatively easy to gather materials for like Papyrusmaking.
  • Thievery, Stealing, Lock Picking and Traps also feel slightly undervalued considering they don't have improvement grinds.
  • Shield Bashing and Taunting have base maxes at 3,512,337 despite being difficult to grind.

All good observations. I'll try my best to explain the reasoning behind everything. Before I get into specific points, I'll make a few notes here ahead of time:

1. I went over some of the calculations today with Drogos and some adjustments have been made to fix calculation errors.
    1. The previous maximum value for a skill on Wurmnode was 99.99995 (4 digits of 9 after the decimal). After changes today, it is now 99.9999995 (6 digits of 9 after the decimal). This more accurately represents when Wurm actually displays a skill to 100 instead of using smaller decimal places. As a result, the maximum value for most skills has increased.
    2. There was a calculation error which was causing skills, mostly in the range of 99-99.9995, to be calculating their STP very incorrectly. It was much lower than expected. This calculation has been corrected and Wurmnode is now displaying properly calculated STP across the board.
    3. Soul Depth had a difficulty of 800,000 instead of the correct 200,000 on Wurmnode. This has been fixed and all values should be 1/4 of what they were before.
    4. As I was writing this, Drogos put all the same information in a reply above.
  2. STP at it's core is meant to display one thing: A direct measure of amount of time the skill is spending in the action bar. Some skills operate in ways that are directly counterintuitive to being calculated by STP, such as Meditation and Lockpicking. These have cooldowns, and cannot be grinded similar to other skills. However, this does not mean we should value them immensely higher than other skills. Instead, we need to register that while these skills are on cooldown or not being skilled, the player is doing something else. If we changed this logic and decided long cooldown skills granted higher STP, anyone who was diligent about skilling them would be granted more STP by default.
    1. In it's absolute most purest form, without any of the multipliers or similar being applied, a player's STP is quite literally "how many seconds have they spent skilling." When you see a character with 20 million STP, it's directly related to the amount of time they've spent skilling. 20 million seconds = 333k minutes = 5,555 hours = 231 days of raw action timer skilling. This does not account for sleep bonus, CoC, and other factors. However, it's designed as the best measure possible without being overboard on community opinions or conjectures.

And now, to answer your comments as directly as possible:

• This is due to small axe naturally having a higher difficulty than other skills. Small axe has a difficulty of 7,000 whereas weapons such as medium maul, longsword, etc. are all 4,000. This results in it being almost 2x as difficult to skill.
    • I'd refer to note 2 which covers Preaching and Exorcism. Meditation has a multiplier of 3 because only 1/3 of the full action timer is used to apply skill gain.
    • Again, note 2 above is the best answer here. Meditation is valued higher than most other skills because every 3 minutes spent meditating only gives 1 minute of actual skill gain.
    • This is correct. Mind speed is only obtained through fighting and shields. These have bad times multipliers in their skill checks (which is why most weapons/shields have 3x value of normal skills), so we give Mind Speed compensation in the STP calculations to match. If you look up the leaderboard for Mind Speed on Niarja right now, you'll see that even after 15 years hardly anyone has more than 70. Meanwhile multiple accounts rock over 90 in every other stat. The mind speed valuation is extremely high, because it's quite literally the hardest characteristic to skill in the game and it's not even close.
    • This was corrected.
    • This is something that could be looked into and changed. I never really looked deeply into how archery works so if it's not directly action timer -> skill then I'd need to know specifics to apply a proper multiplier.
    • I missed this. Milling is in fact creation only and I will apply the 3x multiplier to it accordingly.
    • Note 2 above covers Lock Picking. I don't know anything about stealing/thievery/traps if I'm being honest, never looked into them. But they are most likely covered by the explanation in note 2.
    • Note 2 above covers Firemaking.
    • As terrible as climbing is to grind and how it feels incorrect... it's actually also covered by the explanation in note 2. Notably, though, if anything climbing might be more worthwhile to reduce in value since it can be skilled simultaneously with other skills, such as mining. However that goes against the philosophy of pure time, so it's probably best just left alone.
    • Most fighting skills get a multiplier of 2x or 3x because of how they interact with the times parameter when skilled. However, Shield Bashing and Taunting actually skill normally. So while they are extremely painful to grind due to both having a cooldown, action timer, and requiring a specific scenario... they're covered by note 2 philosophy.

In any case, STP will never be a completely perfect way to calculate investment of a character. If too much opinion gets injected into how it's calculated, it's going to become a divisive topic that holds very little meaning anymore. As of now, there are 3 skills (Cooking, HFC, and Beverages) that have multipliers that are arbitrary and not calculated. This is because panfilling ignores the action timer completely. There would be a case to be made for removing these skills entirely from STP since they go against the core philosophy. However, they extend into Mind Logic and Soul Depth, which makes things messy... so these arbitrary multipliers are applied to mitigate the issue rather than resolve it. The rest were calculated based on how they are skilled, referencing how they level up directly and reverse-engineering it into a multiplier for STP.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Updated the new multipliers to balane Pickaxe, Hammer, Stone Chisel and Milling more correctly.

I didn't know that about Small Axe, I knew it had some other issues, but I didn't realize it had a higher difficulty. Although that's because I never delved into it, since I never wanted to use it anyways. I might change that since it's worth so much more STP.

I know how difficult, and, at the same time, how easy it is to grind up Mind Speed. By having it at 3x value, and knowing that multiple fight pits still work, I might just grind up my shield skills. Very sexy.

The other explanations make sense. If you take the cooldowns and what it requires to grind out of the picture, it's based on simple time/difficulty. Thanks for looking at Milling.

• Like 1

Okay things look much better now i will be able to use the site finally, now to learn how to use the tools properly is my next challenge

okay looks like i have finally got this part figured out thanks for adding that how too in you first post Drogos

Edited by kordethbludscythe
update
  • Like 1

Fantastic job on the site, its great to have a replacement for Niarja flourishing 

I did notice while looking at the STP mouseovers that Faith and Fighting appear to have been left at 0/0

I appreciate it is going to be difficult to quantify a value for these skills, but it would be nice to see them have their relevant weights if something could be agreed upon. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toeol said:

Fantastic job on the site, its great to have a replacement for Niarja flourishing 

I did notice while looking at the STP mouseovers that Faith and Fighting appear to have been left at 0/0

I appreciate it is going to be difficult to quantify a value for these skills, but it would be nice to see them have their relevant weights if something could be agreed upon. 

Unfortunately not really possible. The formula to calculate STP is a reverse engineering of the way skill ticks are granted by all the skills in Wurm. Fighting is an exception to this, where it does not use the skill ticks that other skills use at all. It does not even use its own difficulty when calculating skill gains. As a result, using the formula to give Fighting any value, regardless of multiplier, would completely undermine the purpose of STP altogether. Niarja did not give any value to Fighting and I believe the reasoning is identical.

• Like 1

Skill trends public beta testing: https://www.wurmnode.com/character/Drogos

Already got some feedback, and here are some answers to the common ones:

* I like the idea of predictability. When one clicks a skill name, it takes you to the skill's page. So, to load the history of a skill into the graph one can click the number / current level, and it will load the history for it. Not very clear from the design that it is possible, but now you know. Also, it can of course be selected from the dropdown. The order of skills in the dropdown will be changed to something a bit more intuitive.

* You can use scroll wheel / pinch to zoom into the graph. And you can also pan from side to side. The graph has a 1 hour resolution.

* The graph is generated from log files instead of dump files. This means that as long as you have your logs available still (regardless of if you use multiple machines), and that those log files are set to log as much as possible, you can get graphs back to day one of playing Wurm.

* This feature is complex, and will take some time before it is available to everyone. How it will work? I am working on an app. So, you will need to install an app that synchs the logs with the server.

Edit: STP graph was easier than expected, so that one is now added :)

Edited by Drogos
Added STP graph update