Drogos

WurmNode

Website

https://www.wurmnode.com/

This whole post needs an update, until then, here is a good guide on how to upload skill dump!

On 9/14/2022 at 5:38 PM, Viceren said:

Because I was asked in game a couple of times now. Here's my derpy tutorial on how to add your skills:

• When you bring up the website, and haven't made an account yet. Click "Sign In"
  Reveal hidden contents

0cCIl9Z.jpg

• On the sign in screen, create an account and password.
  • Verify your password through e-mail, following the instructions given on site after creating.
  • Sign in using your e-mail and password.
  Reveal hidden contents

FsbFBp7.jpg

• After logging in, click the little lego-man icon in the top right corner.
  Reveal hidden contents

g4UwDev.jpg

• On the character screen that shows up after clicking said lego-man, add your in game name, and which cluster you play on. Click "add character" for it to show up in "My Characters".
  Reveal hidden contents

ViUHfuB.jpg

• Then click the "Choose File" button, and pick your skill dump. For steam users, this can usually be found in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Online\gamedata\players\YOURCHARACTERNAME\dumps" - or wherever you installed your version of Wurm.
  • Click "Upload" after it's been chosen.
  • Then to see your personal character skills, click the name link. It will bring you to your newly added character page.
  Reveal hidden contents

EGTBfBD.jpg

You can also click "Skills" to see the entire listing of the highest possible skills. Clicking each skill on this page will bring you to a list of the top players with the highest skills for that skill.

You can also click "Top" to see an entire listing of the highest STP's (Skill/Time Points, a player created fair measurement of skill difficulty and time investment.) on your respective cluster.

To see your character page again. There is currently not an immediate link on the main page. You will have to click the lego-man, and choose your character link as shown in the last step of the picture above. You can also click the character link in the Skill/Top pages that I spoke about, if you can find your character in the lists, which should be highlighted yellow instead of orange in each list.

Have a Wurmtastic day!

Edited by Drogos
WurmNode course have changed
  • Like 17

Hi there! I'm really interested in the potential for Discord integration for 'Village' chat, and your mention of potentially faith/meditation timers. Is this something that's still being updated? It looks really promising!

• Like 1

Heya! Yeah, I am constantly testing and exploring possibilities around this.

Technical answer (making your own village chat bot):

The game does not provide an api to read out this data, so all is dependent on having a character (or multiple) online so that a piece of software can read the log files written to the disk. WurmNode is currently able to follow these log files, and provide you with a local websocket that you can easily connect thru with JavaScript. So, if you want to create your own personal Discord bot, that will work as long as you have a character online, then hook me up on Discord, and I will guide you thru any aspect of this to get it working. If more is interested in this, then of course I will use the time required to make a more documented procedure for it.

Less technical answer (hooking up the WurmNode bot):

This has proven to be a much more complex task than I first imagined it would be. If you have interest in this part, that fuels motivation for me to put focus time on this. Like all projects, there is only so much time, and prioritization is key :)

Faith / Meditation / Sermon timers:

I have been experimenting a bit with this, but not yet landed on a good presentation layer. I am currently using a small side script that puts these timers onto a stream deck, but that method requires hardware. It is a good test tho, and multiple people have asked for this to be a feature without the need for a stream deck, so that is definitely on the horizon!

I know this has been a long time since first post, and that this has taken such a long time without any tangible features like this added still. But for sure, it is still being updated!

Edited by Drogos
  • Like 2

That's awesome, thank you! I think I'll skip the village chat bot, then, but it's good to know it could work with just a character! I definitely have interest in the WurmNode bot. I'm not a coder, myself, so I have great respect for the work involved. Really glad to hear this is still updated!

Thanks!

• Like 1

Um, so this looks like a streamlined version of Niarja with some forum posts and maps thrown in. And the maps are new? Why would you be recreating existing maps? Also, why would I use this?  I can get more information from Niarja on deeds that have been made and disbanded, player counts, uniques, and a lot more. I can get the entire forums on the forums, and I can get accurate, updated maps from there as well. Is this primarily just for Linux users as you are under-served by the existing tools we have? I'm struggling to see what purpose this serves. It looks nice, I'll give you that, but functionality wise, meh.

• Like 1

This is not meant to be a replacement for any of the existing tools out there. I just had a vision of something that I would want to have for myself, like one page where I can get an overview that I like, maps where I can make personal notes on the fly, stuff like this. And yes, Also, I wanted some Linux support, and websocket for game events, so I could make my arduino and stream deck read info from Wurm. We are all different! And that is why I am working on this. For those that prefer the already existing tools this might seem like a waste of time to work on. If you do not find this useful, I see no reason to use it. Just meant to be an option out there since not all prefer, or look for the exact same things. :)

• Like 5

I would 100% love if this was a better Niarja so no worries there.

• Like 2

Since finding this website (a couple days ago) I prefer this site for looking at information.

Sure I can go to the forums if I want the full forums/etc but this gives you everything at a quick glance. Hopefully you keep working on this!

• Like 2

XP0yAmQ.png

After using this tool for a little while and enjoying it I've decided to try and get more people to try and help me map Independence!

WurmNodes Independence map is in search of more explorers! (and so are other servers!) If you enjoy exploring PM me! If you want to help map Wurm this is the perfect chance for you. Yes, we know there are already maps that are going around, but is that any fun for those of us who love exploring? This is a chance for us to maintain a map that is local to us. I'm mostly east Inde!

All you have to do is get an account registered over on WurmNode which is just a couple of steps then get verified by another member.

Mapping is 100% safe and nothing to worry about, we never have resistance from local residents. ehgAgu1.png

Sign up now and join me around the campfire watching a sunset after a day of mapping!
OUBC3ZX.png

Edited by Enuf
  • Like 5

Heya, and first of all a big shoutout to Chakron for keeping Niarja up all these years!

Beta testing is now finished, and public testing can begin for new features on WurmNode to hopefully let us have access to similar data in the future!

* A search bar is added where you can search for deeds or players.

* You can now upload dump files to join in on the skill lists and enrich your characters profile page.

Only so much have been able to be developed and tested in the short time since the Niarja shutdown was announced, so all features still to be considered as testing. You can post here or pm me on Discord or forums with any questions or suggestions!

Hope you all have a lovely Wurmian weekend! :D

• Like 7

I realized after going public testing none of the new profiles got visible. Fixed that, so all profiles are public again (as mentioned in the upload section, private profiles should come later, need to finish making it first :) ).  I also added a skill overview page, to view higest of all the skills: https://www.wurmnode.com/skill

Thanks to all that have been helping with testing!

• Like 2

yeah i checked this out but couldnt figure out how to use it, you need to consider it being used by us people that are not IT people i am a  cook not a technician this is why i liked Niarjra all i had to do was go to the website and bam i had what i needed at my fingertips without having to know anything about coding or how to find stuff in the folders on my pc. yes i know i have a pc and should know how to use that stuff but after destroying over 15 computers in the past i really dont want to destroy this one because i doubt i could afford to buy a new one again in my lifetime

Kordeth = Kor(core) deth(death) whichs literally means i am death to the core of a computer and hence the moniker

Edited by kordethbludscythe
spelling edit
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, kordethbludscythe said:

yeah i checked this out but couldnt figure out how to use it, you need to consider it being used by us people that are not IT people i am a  cook not a technician this is why i liked Niarjra all i had to do was go to the website and bam i had what i needed at my fingertips without having to know anything about coding or how to find stuff in the folders on my pc. yes i know i have a pc and should know how to use that stuff but after destroying over 15 computers in the past i really dont want to destroy this one because i doubt i could afford to buy a new one again in my lifetime

Kordeth = Kor(core) deth(death) whichs literally means i am death to the core of a computer and hence the moniker

My goal is to make this easy for everyone to participate in! Anything that is unclear here is my fault, and I am sorry. As far as I understand Niarja had something very similar. One makes an account, then register a character, and then find the skill file. I never looket at this before, so it is all made now in a rush since niarja shutdown was anounced. Did Niarja have a better way of locating these dump files, if so, I am very intereted in how I can improve. Personally I find discord a bit easier to use for pasting screenshots, and talking back and forth to pinpoint probelsm, so feel free to PM/DM me there, but here is fine also :) If you would be willing to help me understand how I can improve / how finding the skill files could be made easier, know I am for sure interested in using the time coding to implement better system!

Edited by Drogos
more clear wording
  • Like 3

Yay I'm so happy to see the addition of search for players and deeds history. But a little sad to see older history gone, tried to search for my friends' deeds from 2014 and couldn't find their characters or their deeds. Any plan to / any way to add older history?

As for usability / readability ... I would also love to see ability to search partial terms (for example Niarja could search for partial Deed names, required exact Player names)

And I personally preferred tables where there is dedicated space for each different element. For example a dedicated divided space for the Date/time of a slaying, Type of a slaying, Place of a slaying... Same thing for Deeds, dedicated space for Times, Name, Place. As opposed to the info being written all on the same line same box all together like a sentence. Personally to me it's more readable in tables.

The "Guard Towers" section is interesting... how does / how will that work? There's no announcement for guard towers being created.

I misunderstood, it's the place for conquered towers! I think I just searched for too old history again so it was all empty. lol

Thanks for working hard at this!

Edited by Lovelie
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

Yay I'm so happy to see the addition of search for players and deeds history. But a little sad to see older history gone, tried to search for my friends' deeds from 2014 and couldn't find their characters or their deeds. Any plan to / any way to add older history?

As far as I know, it's quite difficult to search through tweets older than 7 days with the Twitter API (they rate limit anyone from doing this.) The best way to get all of the old tweets (and hence, the old data) would probably be to ask @Chakronfor a download of the Niarja database.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Lovelie said:

I would love to have more history in. Currently I only have data dating back to 2019 some time. I do not know how to get older history, so here I am dependent on help. All I can do is hope that someone chips in with more data.

As for usability / readability ... I would also love to see ability to search partial terms (for example Niarja could search for partial Deed names, required exact Player names)

Yeah, the search will get an autocomplete, just have not managed to get that far yet. Know that you can use an asterix to search for partial content. So, a search for *mead would show you all that ends in mead, a mead* would give you all that starts with mead, and *mead* would give you all that contains mead. Hope that is helpful to know until some sort of autocomplete is in place :)

And I personally preferred tables where there is dedicated space for each different element. For example a dedicated divided space for the Date/time of a slaying, Type of a slaying, Place of a slaying... Same thing for Deeds, dedicated space for Times, Name, Place. As opposed to the info being written all on the same line same box all together like a sentence. Personally to me it's more readable in tables.

There are some things that people will never agree on, and making just one version will not satisfy everyone. This is not the only thing that people have different oppinions on. I will take a note of this, and make a user selection, so people can choose their preferred way of displaying it. This will take me a bit of time to make, but I do like the idea of having multiple ways of showing things. Hope that will work for people who prefer table look as well :)

The "Guard Towers" section is interesting... how does / how will that work? There's no announcement for guard towers being created.

I misunderstood, it's the place for conquered towers! I think I just searched for too old history again so it was all empty. lol

The guard towers are not anounced, so they an not be added automatically. There is also no API for Wurm to be able to fetch them. Therefore the only way I could make this work is depending on people adding them local maps. This section show guars towers that people have chosen to tag on the WN maps. So yes, they are normal guard towers, I have not ventured into the pvp aspects that niarja had yet.

Thanks for working hard at this!

Thank you for your feedback! Lots of work still to be done :D

Edited by Drogos
typo
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Docterchese said:

As far as I know, it's quite difficult to search through tweets older than 7 days with the Twitter API (they rate limit anyone from doing this.) The best way to get all of the old tweets (and hence, the old data) would probably be to ask @Chakronfor a download of the Niarja database.

Yeah, I am no twitter expert, and have also not found any way to get this thru twitter. I know Chakron has been occupied lately so hopefully when things cool off a bit this will be possible. I probably do not have the exact same data structure for storing them, so an import script would also be required to make. Regardless it will take a bit of time to get older historical data in place.

• Like 4

Todays update:

* New STP top list added! This is using Sindusk's formula (Thanks Sindusk!) that is slightly different than the old one. It is meant to be as fair as possible, and might change over time if skill difficulties change.

* The top menu has been modified to show more relevant links. A new footer has been added with all the other stuff.

* When uploading a dump file, you now get a bit more informative feedback.

* Your character list is now clickable to go the the respective characters page.

* The character page was sometimes showing deeds that was not made or disbanded by the character, this is now fixed.

Thanks to everyone that has come with good feedbacks! I keep on working on the other stuff too :) Have a Wurmtastic day!

• Like 6

So, I was wrong over a year ago when I panned this tool. Sorry about that. This is looking great, and I really appreciate the work you've put in on this. Thanks :) Keep up the good work

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaletheGood said:

So, I was wrong over a year ago when I panned this tool. Sorry about that. This is looking great, and I really appreciate the work you've put in on this. Thanks :) Keep up the good work

No worries mate! That initial post was (is still) not very descriptive to communicate what this is, and it was also in very early development back then. I should really update that one! Thank you for the kind words today :)

• Like 1

Thanks for stepping up to take Niarja's place. I'm already trying to get people to convert over early before the October deadline hits.

I know what I'm about to do will be annoying, but I figured I'd post the things I love about Niarja that WurmNode currently doesn't have. I don't know the viability of such things, but I figured some minor feedback like this could be useful:

1. STP currently isn't shown on the character page. You have to go to the Top page to do comparisons. It's minor, but I have to open 4 pages to compare my STP and skills, when I only needed to have the 2 character pages open to compare.
  2. Skills are compact, yet still too large to show up for a 1920 x 1080 resolution screen. Niarja had this problem too - except the skills that were cut off on Niarja were less important ones for comparing growth on like Ballistae/Catapults. Perhaps widening the skills section from 3 lines to 4 would alleviate this. 
    Spoiler

02uKiyn.jpg

3. Comparison charts; comparing old skill dumps to new skill dumps; the ability to delete old skill dumps that are duplicates or no longer relevant.
  4. There is no character page link on the front page. I'm pretty egotistical and narcissistic so I bookmark my own page - but some people may prefer just having a quick and easy link on the front page that leads them to their personal character(s).
Edited by Viceren
  • Like 1

Because I was asked in game a couple of times now. Here's my derpy tutorial on how to add your skills:

• When you bring up the website, and haven't made an account yet. Click "Sign In"
Spoiler

0cCIl9Z.jpg

• On the sign in screen, create an account and password.
  • Verify your password through e-mail, following the instructions given on site after creating.
  • Sign in using your e-mail and password.
Spoiler

FsbFBp7.jpg

• After logging in, click the little lego-man icon in the top right corner.
Spoiler

g4UwDev.jpg

• On the character screen that shows up after clicking said lego-man, add your in game name, and which cluster you play on. Click "add character" for it to show up in "My Characters".
Spoiler

ViUHfuB.jpg

• Then click the "Choose File" button, and pick your skill dump. For steam users, this can usually be found in: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Wurm Online\gamedata\players\YOURCHARACTERNAME\dumps" - or wherever you installed your version of Wurm.
  • Click "Upload" after it's been chosen.
  • Then to see your personal character skills, click the name link. It will bring you to your newly added character page.
Spoiler

EGTBfBD.jpg

You can also click "Skills" to see the entire listing of the highest possible skills. Clicking each skill on this page will bring you to a list of the top players with the highest skills for that skill.

You can also click "Top" to see an entire listing of the highest STP's (Skill/Time Points, a player created fair measurement of skill difficulty and time investment.) on your respective cluster.

To see your character page again. There is currently not an immediate link on the main page. You will have to click the lego-man, and choose your character link as shown in the last step of the picture above. You can also click the character link in the Skill/Top pages that I spoke about, if you can find your character in the lists, which should be highlighted yellow instead of orange in each list.

Edited by Viceren
  • Like 1