Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Wurm, the casual way

Zexos, making lumps out of ore in an open campfire nerfs the Quality of the resulting metal lumps.  It's much better to do it in a forge if the quality of the metal is something you're aiming for.

RE:

Spoiler

(I have not tested melting iron ore on an open camp fire before so don't know what will happen)

• Like 1

Hey Zexos! First of all thanks a lot for your advices.

For iron, yeah, that's pretty much the plan to get an off-deed mine somewhere on the shore, find iron and mine some there. As Tristanc said smelthing them in a camp fire definitely works (I did that a lot 'till I build my forge), but it drops the quality with about 10%... still meditating what easier/better: build a forge on location or raise mining three points higher.

About the alliance, I was in one (actually I founded it), but at one point it grew a bit too much for my taste (we were over 30 active deeds) so I left, but now that the activity went down, I'm highly considering rejoining it. However, as I stated from my original post, is against my own rules to use any item that I haven't gathered, crafted or imped myself, so I could not take mats directly from them. But yeah, giving me access to their mines or pointing me to a location where I could find resources could definitely make a huge difference.

About the bridge... well, probably having someone else planned for me would be against my rules too, but it's not also that, but I don't think I want that. I chose to live on an island just so I can be cut off from the main land. Trying to connect now would be counterintuitive and against my original goal - lol.

And, finally, about the concrete. I do know that I can only raise those corners that are 25 dirt deep or less and that don't have / won't have a slope higher than 40 towards adjacent corners, so it's clear that I can't expand without limits, but I should still be able to raise a fair share of extra tiles out of water. And I prefer that against the much easier dirt method for the simple reason that this way I could also have a bigger mine/undeground area, not only above ground area. Anyway, that's a long term plan for now. :)

• Like 1

I said in my old thread that I do plan to cut time to some (chore) activities in order to make a higher percent of my limited time available to progress projects. And here's a bit of an update to what I said there.

1) Repairs - checking if things need repairing every day so they don't go *poof* can be very time consuming, even on a small deed like mine, but I figured out that if they're high enough quality (think about 20-30ql) they should be safe for at least one week, so I could turn this chore from a daily one to a weekly one. So the plan is to improve any item that I craft to about 20-30 ql then maintain them at that level, and only do maintenance work once per week. That's still my main priority (hence the reason why I try to raise woodcutting and mining about 30 so I can get a supply of imping mats), but I can't say I made much progress towards it. But definitely working on it.

2) Meditation - the level 11 reward from Path of Knowledge (25% passive gain on all skills) sounds awesome, but trying to stick in as many meditation ticks as possible (especially after the first five) can easily become a huge burden, so I really think that for a casual player like me not aiming for that, but just be happy with the Path of Love rewards and never try to meditate above the first five ticks, might be wiser. So the plan is to stick with the Path of Love and only do the first five meditation of a day. That is still under debate (so please give me some feedback). Despite already reaching level 7 on Path of Love (which was basically the goal), and I can't really see much benefit in pushing forward, I still feel guilty if I don't try to log briefly through the day to sneak as many meditations ticks and I don't know what to do about it.

3) Cooking (which includes gathering cooking ingredients - meat via fishing/hunting and veggies via farming/foraging) - everyone says that cooking (especially at high level) can be very rewarding and I'm sure that's very true for people with a lot of playtime, but in my case, especially since I'd have the Refresh ability from the Path of Love meditation path, I really think it might be wiser to ignore the whole food part of the game (at least for the time being). So the plan is to ignore (at least for the time being) the whole food part of the game (cooking, hunting, fishing, foraging, farming - for food items at least) and just count on the Refresh ability. Here I stick with the plan and there was absolutely no issue with it; considering my limited playtime the nutrition level from the Refresh ability (almost) never wears down.

4) Animal husbandry - that's actually one of the things I really like in WURM, but it is also rather time consuming and since I live on a tiny island, I honestly can hardly justify the time investment for some horses I would probably never use much, so I really think that for my particular case, it might be way wiser to stop doing it and just keep a couple of horses, brand them, care for them and don't worry about getting traited ones (at lest for the time being). So the plan is to ignore (at least for the time being) the whole animal husbandry part of the game and just keep a couple of random horses eventually with a nice name and color combination. It was a hard decision, but I eventually gave up on my horses for now and for the foreseeable future.

5) Resources hoarding (mainly via rummaging / foraging / botanizing) - spending some time every day rummaging / foraging / botanizing sounded like an awesome plan early on in order to gather resources, since it gave me access to a variety of them (iron, rock - which I would both miss otherwise since I don't have a mine yet, cotton, wemp, vegetables, sprouts, healing cover ingredients, etc), not to mention the change to start getting those elusive coins once the king's coffers would be replenished. However, I now feel that it is too time consuming and I should better spend that time focusing on gathering the exact resources I need instead of going on this hoarding approach - like if I need some wood, cut a couple of trees, if I need some iron, mine some ores, if I need some wemp and cotton, keep some fields planted. So the plan is to replace my daily rummaging / foraging / botanizing with targeted resource gathering (at least for the time being). That is still under debate (so please give me some feedback). I definitely do it less than before, but I still do it to a degree and I can't really answer why... somehow it just feels bad to pass by a tile I could forage/botanize and not do it.

So... what do you guys think about my ideas? Good? Bad? Comments? Criticism? Observations? Looking forward for your answers... please help...

• Like 1

And, finally, the third (and last) post in a row.

Also decided to tweak a bit the list of my projects/priorities:
- level my woodcutting from 26.37 which is right now to at least 30 (which will be kinda slow since with only a rowboat I can only haul home three trees at a time) and gather a reasonable supply of 30+ ql logs, so I'll can start improving my wood items up to 30 ql

- level my mining from 13.39 to at least 30 (which again will be kinda slow since with only a rowboat I can only haul 40 shards home at a time) and gather a reasonable supply of 30+ ql rock shards and iron lumps, so I'll can start improving my metal and masonry items up to 30 ql

- improve all my items (wood, metal, stone, leather, cloth) up to 30 ql (which, again, will probably take quite a lot of time since my skills are really low), also gaining some skills in the process

- finish the sailboat and the corbita

- get carpentry to level 60 and start crafting large crates and craft enough to equip both my corbita and a crate rack

- finish dredging the edges of my island, so I can see exactly what tiles I'll can raise out of water with concrete later on

- start raising the corners of my deed out of water

Edited by Bloodreina

Hi, and all the best for your success. As to storing bulky stuff, you might resort to small crates for the time being. In a crate rack, taking 51 of them instead of the 30 large crates, storable volume is only 15% lower than with large crates.  And they are ways easier to craft, especially in the beginning of large craft building with carpentry skill only little over 60. I recall how I hated crafting large crates for well a while ;) .

Once you found iron and mined it out (you may prospect for it on the rock layer, it is a bit tricky to figure where it is but is of help before tunneling), consider a forge close to it in the mine to smelt on site. You can transport 75 lumps in a (otherwise empty) backpack so consider a backpack or some thereof to craft (or to collect from player remains :) ) instead of carrying ore to your island. Such backpacks may sit on a cart you drag or drive from the mine to your boat which can hold several backpacks but only 40 ore.

Edited by Ekcin

This week's report

I'll have a really busy period next week(s), with double shifts at work, so I took advantage of these days when I had more spare time to play quite a bit more WURM (16 hours in less than a week), so I reached a total of 210 hours of /playtime.

Obviously, I once again got detracked and failed to reach my goal of getting to level 30 woodcutting (ended up only getting from 26.47 to 27.53), but at least I had quite a lot of other accomplishments:

- got first customer for my grass enchanting business and used the money to buy myself a merchant contract for personal storage (for example for pelts) since I play under a "no alts" policy

- made a spirit house and got a friend priest to enchant it

- made a small sailing boat and I'm now working on a corbita (done the sails and a bit over half of the wood parts)

- made ten satchels and improved them to 30+ quality (that was needed in order to be able to craft the sail for the sailing boat)

- got to skill level 50 in carpentry

- got to skill 20 in huge axe and switched to large axe for cutting trees

Characteristics and relevant skills

Characteristics:

- Mind: 21.17
--- Mind logic: 25.62
--- Mind speed: 20.04
- Soul: 17.06
--- Soul depth: 22.65
--- Soul strength: 20.06
- Body: 23.93
--- Body strength: 24.12
--- Body stamina: 23.02
--- Body control: 23.02

Skills (only those above 30):

- Climbing: 30.79

- Digging: 71.68

- Nature: 35.36
--- Foraging: 41.86
--- Meditating: 44.70
--- Animal husbandry: 40.60
- Miscellaneous items: 40.62
--- Shovel: 47.63

--- Repairing: 32.11
- Carpentry: 53.76

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://warlander.github.io/DeedPlanner-3-web/?map=https%3A%2F%2Fpastebin.com%2FbGdecawN

Edited by Bloodreina

Hi Bloodreina,

I have been a silent reader of this thread. While I recoil at the tough restrictions you have put on yourself, I have found it very interesting to see your focuses and progression. Constantly having to hold my tongue at what "I" would do :D. It's been a good reminder that all paths in this game can be just as addictive and engaging as "find a huge plot of land near forest and water, and build huge structures". The updates definitely look time consuming, but it will be a shame to not hear from yourself again. 

(Still impressed at that digging skill gain)

Thanks

AncientWaves

• Like 1

On your questions:

1) I never worry about on-deed decay. Try to get a bigger house and store all the things you might be worried about inside. BSBs and things like Large Storage Units can be your friend

2) On meditation, you can slowly keep plugging away at your meditation path and then save up your Marks to buy a path change.

3) On cooking, Refresh is fine, and if you continue to get enchant business, then you could buy a wrapped pizza slice or something to get your CCFP up.

4) If you're on an island, makes sense to put a hold on the animal breeding. Just keep a horse for you to ride on mainland.

5) Foraging is personal, but none of my village mates regularly do it. We focus in on things like farming wemp and building pottery planter racks.

• Like 1

General report

Covid situations changed things and my busy period turned into a mostly stay at home situation, so once again I had quite a lot of spare time, so I managed to get to the round number of 10 days (240 hours) of /playtime.

Surprisingly, I eventually managed to motivate myself to finally get to level 30 woodcutting (it "only" take me about a month and a half - lol) and also have quite a few other achievements:

- got a few more small orders for my grass enchanting business 

- almost finished the corbita (just waiting for the wemp for the last three cordage ropes and I'll be ready to set sail) and even made most wood parts for a knarr

- made a crate rack (to be filled at a later time)

- improved about half of my wood items up to 30+ ql

- got to skill level 60 in carpentry

- got to skill level 30 in ship building

Characteristics:

- Mind: 21.75
--- Mind logic: 26.77
--- Mind speed: 20.10
- Soul: 17.99
--- Soul depth: 22.94
--- Soul strength: 20.07
- Body: 24.67
--- Body strength: 24.49
--- Body stamina: 23.22
--- Body control: 23.76

- Climbing: 32.16

- Digging: 72.26

- Nature: 37.29
--- Foraging: 44.62
--- Meditating: 47.08
- Miscellaneous items: 41.91
--- Shovel: 48.28

--- Repairing: 34.64

- Woodcutting: 33.30
- Carpentry: 61.45

-- Ship building: 31.56

Moving forward

From the very first moment when I started playing the game, I promised myself to have an analyze of my playtime once I reach ten days, and here I am. There were 240 hours of pure fun and I managed to achieve a few things along the way, however is quite obvious (at least to me) that developing a deed as a new and casual player, with limited play time and budget, is a really difficult task, at least if you want to be self sustainable. So I think it's about time to cut my loses, accept that, at least for the moment, that's a challenge that I'm failing and try a different approach, which in my case, is joining someone's else village. She has more than one deed, so I could technically stay in my village and just join her as an allied, and I think I made quite a good deal - she's paying me 15 silver coins per month (more than enough to cover both my premium and deeds upkeep) and I'll stay and work on her deed. That will leave the pressure from my shoulders (both in terms of invested money and things that have to be done) and just slowly raise my skills for free, while also having a mentor to learn from. You may say that's a failure and that I'm giving un in face of adversity, but I say it is a sign of maturity (at least for someone of my age) to take a step back and attack the problem from a different angle.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 3

General report

Still mostly staying at home, so I was able to continue to put quite a few hours in (about three per day), so I got to 270 hours (11 days and six hours) of /playtime.

Quite a few achievements during this period:

- I managed to finish my corbita and load it with about 30 large crates (not more, so I can leave room for a BSB, a FSB and a couple of rafts)

- Moved to that new deed that I was talking about in my last post (where I built two 1x1 sheds with beds inside), a new large cart and a new forge to manage to settle down

- Started a 120 tiles farm on the new place where I moved (since my job would be of a farmer)

- Reached level eight in the Path of Love

- Got to skill level 50 in meditating

- Got to skill level 30 in gardening

- Got to skill level 30 in botanizing

- Got to skill level 30 in fine carpentry

Characteristics:

- Mind: 22.13
--- Mind logic: 27.26
--- Mind speed: 20.10
- Soul: 19.51
--- Soul depth: 23.38
--- Soul strength: 20.10
- Body: 25.43
--- Body strength: 25.00
--- Body stamina: 23.28
--- Body control: 24.59

- Climbing: 33.05

- Digging: 72.41

- Nature: 39.94

--- Gardening: 30.70
--- Foraging: 47.38

--- Botanizing: 33.04
--- Meditating: 50.23
- Miscellaneous items: 43.34
--- Shovel: 48.28

--- Repairing: 37.47

- Woodcutting: 34.49
- Carpentry: 64.12

--- Fine carpentry: 30.96

--- Ship building: 32.75

Moving forward

Certain events (mostly positive) happened in my life which will limit my gaming time, so, while I'll still play, my playstyle and playtime will definitely take a hit in the next period. I will probably pretty much just log for as long as the sleep bonus will hold (so about an hour a day), tend the farming fields, eventually forage and botanize a bit, and that would be it for the time being. When/if circumstances will change I may return to playing more, but for now that will have to do it.

Anyway, since that post was about my adventures as a solo player, and I now live on someone's else deed, this is the end of it; but I'm not going anywhere so feel free to PM me in-game (Bloodreina) or on discord (Bloodreina#8570) if you wanna stay in touch.