Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Wurm, the casual way

ORIGINAL POST

Some of you might have read my old post and you're probably wandering why I gave up on that one and started this new one. Well, I did that because the circumstances changed quite a lot and I feel that the old one is no longer relevant and could even be misleading considering the new conditions. The good news is that I managed to come to peace with the fact that I'm a casual player and I can't play the game like most other people and I now have a healthy relation with the game, where I adapt my playtime around my real life activities and not the other way around, while the bad news is that this means even less time than I anticipated (only managed to sneak-in 18 hours of play time in the last two weeks - from 6 days and 6 hours at the end of august, to 7 days sharp right now), so that meant that I had to tweak and adapt my play style even more. The reason why I'm still posting? Same as before - to show other (new) players that are just considering WURM that they can play the game even if they're time constrained and that there are a lot of different ways they can play it, so they don't have to be afraid to choose the path that suits them best (whatever that would be), even if it a less walked one.

Some background info and early decisions

1. Being such a complex and awesome game, Wurm can easily become addictive and since I always try to maintain a healthy balance between the different aspects of my life and stay in control of my time, I decided early on that it's very important for me to set some limits for my play time, so I can be sure that I don't let the game interfere with the other parts of my (real) life. And, in the end, I decided to limit my play time to a total of 30 hours per month (so an average of one hour per day), which puts me in the very casual player category, especially for a game like Wurm.

2. Since time is a scarce commodity for me, I didn't even dreamed at attempting to play the game as a F2P player, so I did purchased the new player bundle with two months of premium time and five silver coins for €11.99 and I have to say that it is a really well thought deal which I would recommend any one, since the five silvers are more than enough to allow you to set your initial deed (presuming you stay within a decent size) and another 20 silvers for €21.99 to cover any potential unexpected expenses for the foreseeable future. Together they're lower than the cost of a good (not even necessarily AAA) single player game which I would probably finish and get bored of in less than a month. From now on, I plan to only pay for my premium subscription and not buy any other silver coins, since, because of my low upkeep, I should be able to easily pay it with the money I'd get from selling my sleeping powder. Jury is still on if, when my initial two months of premium time will expire, I should continue to pay month by month and not commit too much on a new game or go full in, make a large, one year purchase, and enjoy quite a hefty discount (€5.99 instead of €7.99 per month).

3. I decided to stick with a small 21x23 (483 tiles) size for my deed, without a guard, for a couple of reasons. One was that the setup cost was lower than the five silvers which were included in the initial package (exact price was 4s 83c, which included three months of upkeep) and the second one was that it kept monthly upkeep cost to one silver, which is the minimum cost anyway (any deed smaller than this would still cost one silver, so there wouldn't be any savings and basically no reason for going smaller). Also, while there was definitely a temptation to go bigger, I couldn't really justify the extra costs, since 483 tiles is plenty of space for as a single person, and as a casual player I actually doubt I'd even have time to take care of a bigger deed.

4. I made sure that I understood (and accepted) that there are a lot of people willing to invest much more in Wurm than me, both in terms of time and money and there's no way I could even dream to compete with them. That's why I decided to not even try to compare myself with anyone else, but just focus on my little place and on my personal progress, both done at a pace I'm comfortable with and that's what I recommend you all. It may look like snail speed to some (if not most) people, but, guess what... it's not important what they think, but what we think; if it brings us enjoyment then this is all that matters.

My deed (where things start to get weird)

I decided that, despite the many inherent disadvantages, I'd really to have a little private island all for myself... ideally I wanted an island to match as close as possible my desired deed size (about 500 tiles) - not too big (because I wanted to keep in control both my costs and my required time to maintain it), not too small, with at least some rock layer (essential) and, ideally, also with some clay (optional)... found a few amazing ones, but I was beaten to them on the land race grab race, so I could only congratulate their owners and keep searching.

And just when I was about to give up, I managed to find my little paradise... it's not perfect, it's not what I wished for... it's (much) smaller than i hoped, it doesn't have any clay, but hey, it's mine and despite all its flaws I really love it! It has some rock layer, although not very much, but I'll try to see if I can raise at least a few extra tiles out of water with concrete (crazy much, isn't it? hahaha). It is located on the border between K10 and K11 on the Melody server (not the bigger island which you can see on the map that belongs to my neighbor, but the really tiny one south west of it) and here's the first deed planner export of it (I wish that I would have taken one on day one, but I didn't knew about this feature until later on, when some heavy digging/rock revealing already took place): https://warlander.github.io/DeedPlanner-3-web/?map=https%3A%2F%2Fpastebin.com%2FzxG79GU3

My play style (where things get really weird)

While I definitely don't recommend this play style to other people, I decided to set some extra challenges for myself: first of all I dropped all the starting tools and started from scratch, then I decided to never use any enchants, runes or items that I haven't gathered, crafted and improved myself and, finally, in order to increase immersion I decided to play in a permadeath mode (so if I die other than because of technical reasons, it is game over for me)

Talking about the distribution of my play time, I realized (only after it became a burden that almost made me quit the game) that they key to manage to make any progress as a casual player with limited play time is to try to minimize the time spent on daily chores as much as possible (to a maximum of 30 minutes per day as previously mentioned) and to not spread my resources too thin, but instead try to focus them on one mini-project at a time and only switch to a new one once the first one is completed. This way I should be able to keep reaching mini goals/milestone on a regular basis and have a constant sense of achievement.

What I have achieved so far

Here's the list with my most notable achievements during this first week (seven days) of /playtime:

- took my time and found a place that I really love for my deed

- made a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one

- made a set of leather gear so I no longer walk around in undergarments

- made a 1x1 shed, with a bed inside, so I can start getting sleep bonus

- joined a religion (so I can enjoy follower bonuses), made an altar, and leveled my faith to 30

- made a meditation rug, meditated to level 20 (so I can start the CDs), joined Path of Love (so I can start the CDs) and already reached level six (which means I can refresh myself now)

- got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses) and to 23 body strength (so I can load items)

- made a rowboat and tow large cart (one fully equipped with rafts) so I can move freely across the map

- made a FSB and about twenty BSBs to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already)

- made a forge (although not having a mine yet, and still rummaging for my iron)

- got myself a couple of horses to breed and right now I just started breeding my second horses generation

- started a really small farming plot for cotton and wemp (not vegetables because I relay on the Refresh ability from the meditation path to feed myself)

- improved my items as much as I was able to based on my mats ql (that was about 19ql for leather items, about 18ql for wood items, about 9 ql for stone items and, please don't laugh, about 3 ql for iron items) and I plan to improve them all to 30+

- and most of all worked on terraforming my deed - I exposed all the rock above the ground and now I'm working with dredging dirt from below water on the additional tiles, to see if I find tiles where I'll can potentially rise the rock level above water with concrete

Characteristics and relevant skills

Characteristics:

- Mind: 20.37
--- Mind logic: 24.48
--- Mind speed: 20.00
- Soul: 15.31
--- Soul depth: 22.14
--- Soul strength: 20.05
- Body: 22.77
--- Body strength: 23.46
--- Body stamina: 22.57
--- Body control: 22.16

Skills (only those above 30):

- Digging: 69.55

- Nature: 31.95
--- Foraging: 37.53
--- Meditating: 40.34
--- Animal husbandry: 37.27
- Miscellaneous items: 38.09
--- Shovel: 44.36
- Carpentry: 44.40

Deed plan

Deed plan: https://warlander.github.io/DeedPlanner-3-web/?map=https%3A%2F%2Fpastebin.com%2FbGdecawN

Final thoughts

Although I know there won't be many (if any) interested in my diary, I'll keep updating this at least once per month for as long as I'll keep playing.

Next (second) post in the thread will always show my most recent report; for now it will be just a copy/paste of this post, but as time goes that one will always get updated with the most recent stats, while this will remain the snapshot of the original stats.

Comments, constructive criticism and advises are more than welcome!

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 3

ALWAYS UPDATED - This post will always show my most recent report.

What I have achieved so far (updated)

Here's the list with my most notable achievements up to date:

- took my time and found a place that I really love for my deed

- made a set of basic tools to replace the starting ones that I dropped on day one

- made a set of leather gear so I no longer walk around in undergarments

- made a 1x1 shed, with a bed inside, so I can start getting sleep bonus (and two more similar sheds with beds on the deed where I moved)

- joined a religion (so I can enjoy follower bonuses), made an altar, and leveled my faith to 30

- made a meditation rug, meditated to level 20 (so I can start the CDs), joined Path of Love (so I can start the CDs) and already reached level eight (which means I can both refresh and enchant grass now)

- got to 21 body control (so I can ride horses) and to 23 body strength (so I can load items)

- made a spirit house and got a friend priest to enchant it so I can send and receive mail

- made a small sailing boat, a rowboat and three large carts (one fully equipped with rafts) so I can move freely across the map

- made a corbita and load it with about 30 large crates (so I left space for a BSB, a FSB and a few rafts)

- made a FSB and about twenty BSBs to store my mats (sorting them based on ql already)

- made a crate rack (to be filled at a later time)

- made a forge (although not having a mine yet, and still rummaging for my iron) (and one more on the deed where I moved)

- started a really small farming plot for cotton and wemp (not vegetables because I relay on the Refresh ability from the meditation path to feed myself)

- improved my items as much as I was able to based on my mats ql (that was about 30 ql for cloth items, 19ql for leather items, about 18ql for wood items, about 9 ql for stone items and, please don't laugh, about 3 ql for iron items) and I plan to improve them all to 30+

- and most of all worked on terraforming my deed - I exposed all the rock above the ground and now I'm working with dredging dirt from below water on the additional tiles, to see if I find tiles where I'll can potentially rise the rock level above water with concrete

Characteristics and relevant skills (updated)

Characteristics:

- Mind: 22.13
--- Mind logic: 27.26
--- Mind speed: 20.10
- Soul: 19.51
--- Soul depth: 23.38
--- Soul strength: 20.10
- Body: 25.43
--- Body strength: 25.00
--- Body stamina: 23.28
--- Body control: 24.59

- Climbing: 33.05

- Digging: 72.41

- Nature: 39.94

--- Gardening: 30.70
--- Foraging: 47.38

--- Botanizing: 33.04
--- Meditating: 50.23
--- Animal husbandry: 40.60
- Miscellaneous items: 43.34
--- Shovel: 48.28

--- Repairing: 37.47

- Woodcutting: 34.49
- Carpentry: 64.12

--- Fine carpentry: 30.96

--- Ship building: 32.75

Deed plan (updated)

Deed plan: https://warlander.github.io/DeedPlanner-3-web/?map=https%3A%2F%2Fpastebin.com%2FbGdecawN

Current progress projects (updated)

On hold

Edited by Bloodreina

12 minutes ago, atazs said:

I am curious as to how/why you have so high climbing? 

Dunno... just the specific topography of my deed... it's still a barren rock, and since it wasn't terraformed yet, there's no gentle, walkable path up, which means that in order to get on the upper part I always have to hit the climb button (even if just for a little bit)... 

Edited by Bloodreina

Permadeath is a big call for a game like Wurm.  Is it safe to assume you have no aggro mobs spawning on your island?  I guess if you know you are safe from completely random mob attack you should be safe from death other than by you own misadventure.  My first day or 2 in Wurm I left about 5 corpses behind, and in the 10ish months since there have been I think 3 more, but the last was many months ago (I am speaking only of my main southern character - I death-teleported my northern character a little bit to disband a deed and set up elsewhere).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Permadeath is a big call for a game like Wurm.  Is it safe to assume you have no aggro mobs spawning on your island?  I guess if you know you are safe from completely random mob attack you should be safe from death other than by you own misadventure.  My first day or 2 in Wurm I left about 5 corpses behind, and in the 10ish months since there have been I think 3 more, but the last was many months ago (I am speaking only of my main southern character - I death-teleported my northern character a little bit to disband a deed and set up elsewhere).

My island is tiny enough to be entirely covered by the deed, so, as far as I know, no mobs can spawn on it - eventually "bear sharks", crabs or sea serpents might swim towards here, but that's a very unlikely event.

Also, as said in the original post, since it is a self imposed rule and not a hard coded mechanic, I would ignore any death caused by technical glitches (crashes, disconnects, lag spikes).

So yeah, that pretty much reduces the whole thing to what you said - if I would still die it would be by my own misadventure, and I really think that playing in such a way would greatly increase my immersion and my attention on the game.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, atazs said:

I am curious as to how/why you have so high climbing? 

Come to my deed and you will see how on some deeds climbing grinds itself. 😉

I hope your video card is doing well :)

Have you considered streaming?

This week's report and why I'm potentially quitting

I've played for 12 more hours this week, reaching a total of 180 hours (seven and half days) of /playtime.

Main goal was to level my woodcutting from 20.84 to over 30, but because of the whole extra work involved (hauling chopped tree at home with my rowboat, two at a time or having to transform quite a few of them in planks because the wood BSB got full) I failed big time and in a whole week I barely managed to reach 25.53 (starting, as said, from 20.84).

The only notable achievement is that I reached level 70 in digging (my first skill ever at 70).

It was the moment when I come to realize that Wurm was really not build for the casual players... as someone said in freedom chat, you have to either "go big or go home"... and since I'm not willing to make the time commitment required to go big, I'm seriously considering to just go home...

Potential parting advices

The fact that I failed and I'll probably quit the game shouldn't discourage other casual people from trying the game by themselves, because, at least, it was a lot of fun.

Anyway, some parting advices for other casual players trying the game

1. Don't try to be a free player. Wurm is a game requiring either a time or a money investment (or, in many cases, both). If you can't commit with a lot of time, make sure to at least be willing to open your wallet. On the bright side, the cost to play is relatively low and even if you have a deed (which I'll later advice against) you can easily go along with less than 10 bucks a month.

2. Don't make your own deed, but try to join a nice village instead. I know it can be attractive (it sure was for me) to have your own piece of land, but building it up requires quite a large time commitment, which you won't be able to make as a casual player. Live in a village is much easier since you can only focus on your character (I know that's what I'd do if I would be to start over).

3. Don't make your life harder with extra challenges (like I did). Wurm is difficult and slow paced enough, so don't make it even harder. Don't beg and don't take advantage of people, but, otherwise, if someone offers to help you take on their offer and if you're worried by karma, just pay it forward to another new player when you'll can.

4. Don't try to be a jack (or jane) of all trades, but better focus on a couple of skills you enjoy. It will be more fun, it will require less resources (tools) and it will allow you to actually feel that you're getting some sensible progress even if you only have limited time.

5. Know your means and set reasonable goals for yourself. If you try to overachieve you'll end up in frustration. If you can, don't even set a goal, but just try to focus on the journey, because it can really be an awesome one.

As for myself, I haven't made my mind yet... the deed is paid for a good while... I'm still lurking around... but I'm right on the verge of quitting... 

Characteristics:

- Mind: 20.66
--- Mind logic: 24.97
--- Mind speed: 20.01
- Soul: 15.94
--- Soul depth: 22.32
--- Soul strength: 20.05
- Body: 23.32
--- Body strength: 23.89
--- Body stamina: 22.93
--- Body control: 22.24

- Digging: 71.33

- Nature: 33.28
--- Foraging: 39.92
--- Meditating: 41.89
--- Animal husbandry: 37.27
- Miscellaneous items: 39.84
--- Shovel: 47.14
- Carpentry: 44.91

Deed plan

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 1

Anyone who told you you have to "go big or go home" was only speaking from their experience. Probably 3/4 of Wurm players are casual. The ones yelling in chat are not really representational of the rest of us. One of the best things about Wurm is that you can and should play in the way that suits you and you don't have to follow anyone else's directions. That being said, do what you want to do and if you aren't enjoying Wurm, you just aren't. I enjoyed your updates. 

• Like 7

I'd encourage anyone who wants to play casually to simply not try to rush.  If your skill's not over a certain level in a certain amount of time?  No problem! Just take longer and enjoy the game experience.  PvE Wurm isn't competitive and I know from my own style and experience I certainly don't play it as if it were.  Much surprise was found in someone who'd asked me what levels of skills I had when I told them how long I'd been playing the character.

Please let the experience matter most, not the timetable.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 5

Would be a pity if you leave. Mind the more you do, the more requirements are fanning out, the more skills are needed, and the way will always be longer than previewed. See it as a challenge rather than a chore.

To my impression, your transport troubles on your island are slowing you down. It might be utterly helpful to have a larger ship. A corbita is not too hard to build, worst may be the sails, the square sail in particular, and the cordage ropes, also the thick ropes eating large quantities of wemp. The rest is just a matter of time, and, ok, hard to withstand the seduction to rush it.

Another thing would be a mailbox. Easy to create, and maybe you can find a friendly priest doing the enchant. I don't know whether paying a bit for services is ok for you, in which case buying the square sail would be an option too if it is not too overpriced.

For logs, and similar high volume stuff, better use a crate rack rather than a bsb. Creating large crates may be a pain first, but takes few materials and allows for storing all kinds of bulk. They are also handy to sort by quality.

Just some ideas, and have fun, in Wurm and in RL.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Would be a pity if you leave. Mind the more you do, the more requirements are fanning out, the more skills are needed, and the way will always be longer than previewed. See it as a challenge rather than a chore.

To my impression, your transport troubles on your island are slowing you down. It might be utterly helpful to have a larger ship. A corbita is not too hard to build, worst may be the sails, the square sail in particular, and the cordage ropes, also the thick ropes eating large quantities of wemp. The rest is just a matter of time, and, ok, hard to withstand the seduction to rush it.

Another thing would be a mailbox. Easy to create, and maybe you can find a friendly priest doing the enchant. I don't know whether paying a bit for services is ok for you, in which case buying the square sail would be an option too if it is not too overpriced.

For logs, and similar high volume stuff, better use a crate rack rather than a bsb. Creating large crates may be a pain first, but takes few materials and allows for storing all kinds of bulk. They are also handy to sort by quality.

Just some ideas, and have fun, in Wurm and in RL.

Awesome advices, but unfortunately not really applicable in my case. While on plan (and have it even started) a corbita requires quite a lot of skills and mats (you mentioned it too), which I simply don't have yet. A large crate requires 60 carpentry to create and I'm nowhere near that, so that is not an option yet.

I do know that if I'll manage to get over this period that feels like a hard wall I'm banging my head into, where with each every solution I find three more problems raises, things would be better. But at this point it just feels I'm not making any noticeable progress and that can be really frustrating.

I think WURM devs nailed it with the new player experience - in the first month or so there's plenty of things to do and progress to notice which easily keep you motivated to come for more and more. But something breaks after that. And it's not just me. I'm looking at my old alliance - at one point we were over 30 villages with over 60 active people - at this point almost all of them either quit or turned into hardcore players. There's a single person from the alliance that still plays casually (at least as far as I'm aware); so it looks like, indeed, pretty much everyone either went big (playing 4+ hours per day) or went home...

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 1

Your suggestion to join a village and hold off on creating a deed, is a good suggestion in my view.

I joined Wurm back in 2018-10-24 and a mayor was at the starter area asking people if they wanted to join their village.  I was going to go it alone, (Like I normally do in video games) but instead I actually got up the courage to say "Yes okay"

I was in the village called Harvestmoon on the server Release until 2020-02-17 -  That was when I went over to Pristine and created my first deed in a location which had already been built up with fences, with some items there already (An abandoned village)   I also had my big corbita with me that I did not make mind you.  I was not going to invest that much time into making a boat when I could just buy one with silver 😂
My boat had nearly all of my items that I had collected over the years from the village.   It was still hard though to set up my own deed, even then.  Even though my fighting skill was around 50 or so, the area that I deeded was monster heaven.  I was glad that there were two guard towers near by as well.  

I am also still a part of the prev village as well so, I can always sail over to the prev server and see people if I want....etc.

Yeah, I would say that people should join a village first if they want support, community and free mats and protection from monsters.  It is more so a space where you can learn the game at your own pace. The only time when you might feel rushed is if you put any sort of goals onto yourself with some sort of timeframe.   I moved over to Pristine, as I said but in all this time, I've still got towers and buildings unfinished and land not built up.  Though it also depends on how big you want to plan (So how much work you lay down for yourself)    You can make it as easy or hard as you want. 

I would recommed that you have the skills and the mats and a good location in mind as well before setting up your own deed, though.  Maybe even set it up with friends who would help out too, which should make it a bit more easy to sort out as well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bloodreina said:

I think WURM devs nailed it with the new player experience - in the first month or so there's plenty of things to do and progress to notice which easily keep you motivated to come for more and more. But something breaks after that. And it's not just me. I'm looking at my old alliance - at one point we were over 30 villages with over 60 active people - at this point almost all of them either quit or turned into hardcore players. There's a single person from the alliance that still plays casually (at least as far as I'm aware); so it looks like, indeed, pretty much everyone either went big (playing 4+ hours per day) or went home...

Part of this is that people expect Wurm to be like other games--grind for a bit then hit the dungeons forever. It's just not. It's almost meant to be casual and ongoing forever.  A lot of people bail because it's just not the kind of game that fits their personality and that's fine. Some people need pressure from a game. Some hate pressure. A lot of people need more guidance from a game (joining a village helps there and like Zexos, I was part of Harvestmoon as well!). Joining the older servers (or a village of older players on the new servers) may be beneficial for players who want to see how older players work, while the newer servers would work better for players who really want to do everything themselves. 

I spent about my first three years in game just being a low level casual player with almost no goals except raising pigs and wandering around. Then I got a few goals. Then casualed again. Repeat. I spent my winter term break building and terraforming a new deed because I had time and now I'm finally getting back to the finishing parts, 8 months later. It's been 6 years and I do have a few high skills because I got really into the activity, but sometimes I log in and do nothing. Or don't log in for a bit.

If you have the Wurm love, you do. If not, it's okay. You might leave, miss it and come back. You might not! It's a weird and truly unique game, especially psychologically. I hope we get more newbs who start Wurm journals! It's really great to hear the experiences and POV. 

• Like 6

I can only speak of my own experience, but I'd say, don't leave. Just play the game at your own leisure, don't focus at grinding, but instead enjoy the things you do.

There's absolutely no need to grind skills to a certain point, just because it means you can build or imp a certain thing after that. The reason: no matter what you do, you will gain skill and characteristics anyway.

So instead of grinding masonry because you want to build that Colossus, just cut the bricks and the moment you feel like you're not in the mood for it, don't cut bricks, but instead take your boat and go hunting.

If you feel like doing some ship building, do so, but if you don't, no biggie. That ship will be done sooner or later anyway.

The biggest difference between playing casual or at your own leisure and focusing at a grinding is that with the latter you'll get frustrated if you spend 4 hours to get a skill to a certain point, just to find out you still need 0.000001 tick to get there; while when playing casual you'll be like: "Huh? I made 70 mining and I didn't even grind it!" And believe me, the latter is more fun as the former. (once again, from own experience :D )

Also; play this game if you feel like it; not because you have to. The moment you think you have to play Wurm, it isn't a game anymore, but a job. And one you don't get paid for either.

But if you play this game the moment you feel you may like to play a bit; being it an hour, half an hour or half a day; you'll notice you'll enjoy things a lot more too. And that's what gaming in general is all about, to enjoy it by enjoying what you do, what you have done, the environment, the community and so on. Looking at your journal , you have done several of these enjoyments. I'm quite certain you will get the other ones sooner or later as well.

Thorin :) 

• Like 4

Sounds like you are trying to do everything all at once on your own while limiting yourself at the same time and making things hundreds of times harder for yourself than nessecary, then wanting to quit because you aren't getting anywhere.

If you are doing that, then yes you aren't going to get stuff done in a reasonable time especially if you can't play much

You mentioned that you wanted to raise woodcutting to 30. But at the same time, you are talking about how you had to haul the logs, cut them up etc... And i'm thinking... Why? If your goal was to raise woodcutting, then why not just go crazy on some forest instead of doing all that nonsense? 

Also it sounds to me like you should build a bigger boat like a corbita. Here is when being part of a bigger village or alliance comes in handy where you'd just team up to build one... Or living in a normal area where you don't need to go miles for trees.

All that being said i hope you don't quit and instead change your ways and make it easier on yourself because i feel like you are missing out and could do/experience so much more and you really don't need to play 6-7 hours a day for it.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, atazs said:

You mentioned that you wanted to raise woodcutting to 30. But at the same time, you are talking about how you had to haul the logs, cut them up etc... And i'm thinking... Why? If your goal was to raise woodcutting, then why not just go crazy on some forest instead of doing all that nonsense? 

Dunno... it would feel like a waste and I also feel it's rude too cut trees like that and just leave them to rot when someone else might need them... I even have a personal rule to never cut a tree if I can't plant a new sprout in his place... you know, keep the natural balance...

But yeah, it definitely feels like I have a hard time setting my goals straight and I could use the experience of a veteran player to guide me and tell me on what to focus first... and since I've heard the corbita advice more than once, maybe I should prioritize around that...

And I'm well aware that by now I may look like a drama queen and an attention seeker with all this "I wanna quit. I no longer quit. I wanna quit. No, I don't." and I guess it would do me more good to not mention it so much, but on the other side I think that there may be other people that identify with my struggles and that they can also learn from the advices you guys are giving me about how to overcome my challenges so I still think is best to be open about it.

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bloodreina said:

Dunno... it would feel like a waste and I also feel it's rude too cut trees like that and just leave them to rot when someone else might need them... I even have a personal rule to never cut a tree if I can't plant a new sprout in his place... you know, keep the natural balance...

My old server toon has MANY 90+ skils, but her woodcutting is only 40ish. I've never felt the need to grind woodcutting because someone is always grinding it, and when I come across logs just laying around I have no qualms about picking them up. I find myself doing it on the new servers too. Happy days when I find piles of 50+ql logs laying around!

And kudos for replanting! BUT, if you do run out of sprouts, just space the new trees apart, they will spread.

• Like 2

If you get bogged down with grinding skills it will just become a chore - what keeps me going after all these years? Have fun! We used to pack up and have a wurm holiday! Go out for a week or two, see the islands. Live off the land etc. Cliff dive! (It hurts haha) Grab a row boat and go fishing. Doesn't have to be a daily grind 😁

• Like 2

If you start with the ship project, start it as a longer term project. creating and imping oars and tackles until your skill is bit further up, but as you already made a rowboat, it should not be hard to create the keel. the sight of the ship in making is a great encouragement already. Adding some deck boards, tar, tenons, pegs some time every day when in the mood should not absorb too much and can be fun.

Cordage ropes are a pain, and low ql may fail to attach often, but on the bright side, I can say I never lost one, even not the not infrequent ql1 cordage ropes. Thick ropes are easy but eat insane amounts of wemp.

Sails are worst. I recall I first grinded cloth tailoring for days creating a set of ten or fifteen cloth gloves as they need few material and imp something like 10+ times with a single string of cloth. I managed to make a square sail at skill 35 or so in cloth tailoring, but it was frustrating as it costs a lot of cotton to achieve it. A better needle helps a lot, but I did all with needles in the ql 40s. As already said, consider to buy or barter the sails.

So if you start it, good luck and success, and do not forget to have fun.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum
  • Like 2

This week's report

I've played for 12 more hours this week, reaching a total of eight days (or 192 hours) of /playtime.

Main goal was to level my woodcutting from 25.53 where it was last week to over 30, but I got distracted and I once again failed miserably, ending the week at 26.47. But next week I'll do it for sure; even if that means just cutting kindles all week long - lol.

How I got distracted? Well, that's a funny story (and one that is quite representative for Wurm life as a noob player). When I made my BSBs I tried to organize things a bit, so I have a dedicated BSB for wood items and, well, on one of my first woodcutting trips (remember I can only haul home in my rowing boat two trees at a time) it got full, so I decided that since I had in plan to build a sailboat anyway I could as well use the excess wood that I would get from that point forward to make ship parts and attach it to the sailboat. And that's exactly what I did 'till I finished attaching every single piece of wood and I realized I hit another dead end - I was nowhere even close to having the required skill to craft the triangular sail... raising the QL of my needle was not an option since I still don't have access to a mine/iron vein and rely only on rummaged iron which is low ql, so that meant trying to raise my cloth tailoring skill. And since i hate grinding for the sake of grinding, the only useful items from the cloth tailoring list that I could found were the satchels, so made ten of them and I'm now trying to improve them a bit so I don't really worry about their decay and still get skill in the progress. But at how things look at the moment it looks like I'll get stuck (being limited by the ql of my threads) before I reach the needed level for the sale. Back to woodcutting and the excesses wood, I now started to work on ship parts for a corbita too and attaching them. All that just from trying to raise my woodcutting - lol.

Other than that, despite the fact that it was one thing I really enjoyed, I realized that the animal breeding was taking quite a big chunk of my playtime and since I completely failed in my attempt to sell the excess stock (even at dumping prices) I decided is better to give up animal breeding and focus on other projects instead, so I put all the horses in a big bundle which I was eventually able to sell. So at this moment I no longer have any horse, neither I plan to have any in the foreseeable future.

However, I was able to reach a few other goals and milestones:
- got to level 7 on the meditation path, so I can now enchant grass (sales thread here)

- got to skill level 40 in foraging

- got to skill level 40 in animal husbandry

- got to skill level 40 in miscellaneous items

- got to skill level 30 in climbing

- got to skill level 30 in repairing

Characteristics:

- Mind: 20.89
--- Mind logic: 25.25
--- Mind speed: 20.02
- Soul: 16.58
--- Soul depth: 22.50
--- Soul strength: 20.06
- Body: 23.58
--- Body strength: 23.98
--- Body stamina: 22.97
--- Body control: 22.56

- Climbing: 30.16

- Digging: 71.50

- Nature: 34.36
--- Foraging: 40.22
--- Meditating: 43.05
--- Animal husbandry: 40.01
- Miscellaneous items: 40.23
--- Shovel: 47.38

--- Repairing: 30.75
- Carpentry: 49.05

Deed plan

Edited by Bloodreina
  • Like 3

Mining and iron collection ideas:

Spoiler

That island that you are on, does look really small but from looking at the Melody map in Game, I can see that you have a big mountain, across the water to the east of you.

The land might also be high enough to dig into the mountain side to create a cave on the west bit of mainland too. Though this all depends on if those places have deeds on them or not that prevent you from mining.

You could also mine into your own rock layer at a high point and create a cave but you might hit water, just because of how your rock layer might be quite low.  Risk to take or not, if you want a chance at closer iron.

My suggestion is to travel in your boat over to the mountain on the east and mine into the rock to create a cave and keep mining until you find iron.  Then mine some iron. Also I suggest that you have some kindling with you to create a fire, so that you can melt the iron into smaller pieces, which should make it, so that you can fit more in your rowing boat. (I have not tested melting iron ore on an open camp fire before so don't know what will happen)

I suggest making Alliances and trading with other people:

Spoiler

The other idea involves trade and making Alliances with people around you. 

You said you have someone living on the bigger island near you. Do they have any resources spare that they could offer you or do they know of any information that could help you to find resources that you might need?

Other people in deeds around you might also be able to help you with gathering certain resources or they might have bigger boats that could help you transport mats that you might need while you build up your own ships.

Another suggestion is to see if anyone has any higher iron lumps or mats that you could use to help improve your tools. 

Alliances are good as well because sometimes people in Alliances will add map pointers to the wurm server map that show where certain resources are and villages...etc.

They also can allow you to use other villages items when you visit villages in your Alliances (Depending on their deed settings)  Along with maybe being able to mine or pick sprouts...etc on Alliance deeds.

You could even ask people if they could help you with building some bridges over to the main land:

Spoiler

Another idea is to ask some people to help you build a bridge over to the main land. Or bridges that connect the islands.  Then that would make movement and trade more easy for land use.

Finally about Concrete and how you want to use it to create more land:

Spoiler

You also said about how you want to raise the rock layer out of the water to create more land with Concrete.

Concrete is quite hard to make first of all. 
Second of all, remember this too from the wurm wiki: "Concrete can be used to raise an underwater cave tile as long as the tile is 25 dirts deep or less; below that you get the message: The water is too deep and would only dissolve the concrete. "

I would think that it applies outside of a cave as well...

The best and most fast way to raise land out of water is with dirt or sand.  Your digging is super high so you should have no problems with that.

Edited by Zexos
  • Like 1