Sign in to follow this  
Wurmfarm

Remove decay of food items on merchants.

Would be nice to be able to sell food. 

Thought i was selling food on merchant but it all poofed. 

yes please remove decay from venders i am so tired of putting stuff up only to have to pull it down a couple hours later because it is no longer in any condition to sell to customers

Only if the merchant has been supplied with a larder and the player keeps the snow "fresh", or an FSB for uncooked ingredients.  Otherwise it risks becoming an exploit to avoid normal decay.  

• Like 1

Wasnt this done to stop players using merchants as their food storage by simply pricing the food at insane amounts?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

Only if the merchant has been supplied with a larder and the player keeps the snow "fresh", or an FSB for uncooked ingredients.  Otherwise it risks becoming an exploit to avoid normal decay.  

Something like this ^

maybe make a "food vendor" npc, like the merchant. maybe the food vendor costs a bit more than the merchant. maybe for the food vendor to stop (or massively reduce) decay on food & drink, there needs to be a larder w/ snow & an FSB within a certain small tile range.  (ie. you can't have a larder & FSB in your castle or kitchen, and the food vendor parked at the main gate).

whatever is done, there needs to be something *extra* added to the cost or difficulty of having a functional food vendor or, as Trickster has said, everyone will start using their foodie as a way to store all edibles indefinitely without risk.

at the very least, the food vendor needs to be kept stocked with snow, like a larder does. 

Edited by Amata
  • Like 1

not sure this work but that you can figure out :)

is larder lockable? 

if so sell key from merchant, and buyer can take out the food from larder.

just like we do with veggies from bsb/fsb 

11 hours ago, Amata said:

Something like this ^

maybe make a "food vendor" npc, like the merchant. maybe the food vendor costs a bit more than the merchant. maybe for the food vendor to stop (or massively reduce) decay on food & drink, there needs to be a larder w/ snow & an FSB within a certain small tile range.  (ie. you can't have a larder & FSB in your castle or kitchen, and the food vendor parked at the main gate).

whatever is done, there needs to be something *extra* added to the cost or difficulty of having a functional food vendor or, as Trickster has said, everyone will start using their foodie as a way to store all edibles indefinitely without risk.

at the very least, the food vendor needs to be kept stocked with snow, like a larder does. 

Yes, exactly this. It should be a separate Merchant type, if this is going to be entertained at all. 

Perhaps have the player build a special type of merchant stall that includes the same parts a Larder does as part of the crafting, and a normal Merchant can be purchased and assigned to it. 

Edited by Nekojin

10 hours ago, Maiya said:

not sure this work but that you can figure out :)

is larder lockable? 

if so sell key from merchant, and buyer can take out the food from larder.

just like we do with veggies from bsb/fsb 

sounds good but .. so far the shelves of a larder are not lockable afaik. That means that someone with access to the larder has access to all food in it. even if shelvers were lockable one by one, the key user would have access to everything in that shelf.

10 hours ago, Ekcin said:

sounds good but .. so far the shelves of a larder are not lockable afaik. That means that someone with access to the larder has access to all food in it. even if shelvers were lockable one by one, the key user would have access to everything in that shelf.

yah it will be like bsb/fsb for veggies sale ....one for each customer (key) 

simple fix would be to require a "lunch bag" for storage - snowballs, and leather pouch for each item you're selling.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 2:23 PM, Nekojin said:

Yes, exactly this. It should be a separate Merchant type, if this is going to be entertained at all. 

Perhaps have the player build a special type of merchant stall that includes the same parts a Larder does as part of the crafting, and a normal Merchant can be purchased and assigned to it. 

Although slightly more involved... I really like this idea, especially since that gives the devs a chance to design unique art for a "food stall" with baskets of bread and fish and barrels of potatoes and stuff displayed. Adorable. 

17 hours ago, sweatygopher said:

simple fix would be to require a "lunch bag" for storage - snowballs, and leather pouch for each item you're selling.

This is a simple fix ... but there's a tiny hitch: 
- get merchant like normal
- craft "lunch bag" from leather pouch and snowball
- stuff food in lunch bags & put on merchant for sale
- player buys lunch bag & food inside
- crap I need to make more lunch bags
- double crap, it is now the middle of the spring & I'm out of snowballs

I would be more okay with following this "simple fix" path, if we had some more robust way to store snowballs for use, not just to keep our personal larders cold. I can always plant a barrel next to my merchant & ask players on the honor system to please return lunch bags to the barrel after purchase... but I'd still probably want / need to keep extra snowballs around in case of theft or griefing (cuz there's always gonna be That Guy). 

Some more ideas based on a little bit of history under the spoiler! 

Spoiler

Okay so... Ice in Europe, & how Wurm could help us help our bakers and cooks and dairy farms earn some coin! 

The earliest records we have of manufactured ice dates back to around 4,000 years ago in Assyria. We see a gradual shift towards individual ownership of ice, and by the 1500s the use of ice for cooling drinks was common around the Mediterranean.

I know that most ice was cut from frozen rivers and lakes in rather large blocks, and preserved with... sawdust, I think, and straw. Also, many Europeans that had the coin to purchase ice blocks also had access to a cave or an undercroft - which is where the ice blocks would be stored. The subterranean earth and rock spaces would add to the preservation of the ice bc those European caves n' sh.t were chilly, yo. 

Even better - ice blocks were preserved for even longer if placed in a properly constructed ice house, not just put in a chilly cave or undercroft. So ice houses had a bunch of different designs and stuff, but the basic idea is a smallish building (think shed or hobbit mound) the building itself might have ice cutting tools and things, but it is mostly empty. Closer to the Mediterranean, the building above could be domed or beehive shaped, and built half-sunk into the ground to begin with. 

There's a kind of trap-door or hatch in the middle of the floor & it leads to a dug-out chamber. Some times the chamber is not much more than a hollowed out depression in the dirt lined with sawdust and straw and then bricked to pack in the insulation. Sometimes the ice chamber is more elaborate and is basically a full sized room or cellar underneath the the deceptively smaller structure above (again, sawdust and straw as insulation behind bricking or mortar & stone). If you were especially swanky, you would position your ice house over top of a rocky area, and basically tunnel into or create your own cavern.

The floor of an ice house was usually rounded or cone-shaped so that any ice-melt was collected away from the remaining ice bricks. Many floors also used various methods for guiding the melt into a runoff drain. The guy who helped George Washington set up his own private ice house figured out to crush the first bunch of ice blocks into tiny bits, that were then packed tightly against the floor and walls with paving tools. The little bits of ice would then refreeze into a solid ice slab that added one more layer of insulation for the remaining ice bricks. 

Later, in the brand-new US of A, privately-owned ice houses began to shift into commercialized ice-vendors (because of course it did). And people started ordering a daily ice delivery from ice warehouses and eventually ice factories that no longer imported cut blocks, but manufactured their own ice on-site. After that we converted all those ice warehouses into urban loft living because we got electricity and refrigerators. .... The more you know! 🌠

And now - Image spam of ice houses!!

Spoiler

this is the diagram made for Washington's ice house at Mount Vernon - 

icehouse4.jpg

Some ancient British & European ice houses: 

Ice-House-Cold-Storage.jpg

entrance.jpg

1200px-The_Old_Ice_House_in_1985.jpg

dscn0866.jpg?w=616&h=462

And, finally.... this one is a Yakhchāl, which is what they call these ancient Persian Empire icehouses in Iran. Ridiculously ancient, y'all.  

Ice-House-in-Iran-560x371.jpg

PS - in a complete tangent..... if Wurm devs can implement an icehouse mechanic for us.... they should probably also give us a smoke house mechanic, too, ammirite? 

Edited by Amata

bump. I want to be able to sell food on my merchant.

- maybe decrease decay so it slows down like larder so they can at least be up there for a week

- add a vending machine and let merchant sell linked food tokens

- let us customize merchants (set aside a portion for food)

DO something

Edited by Wurmfarm

As always when food on merchants is suggested, I give this one a +1. I'd like to sell yummy foods in my tavern along with all the yummy drinks. I like the idea of a larder/fsb within a small distance of a special vendor specifically selling foods/drinks