Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

QoL Lead hitched animals

Hi! :)

Can we please be given the option to lead animals that are hitched to carts and wagons?

It should work the same as leading an unhitched animal and in order to have the vehicle follow you around you should need to lead all the hitched animals to it.

So 2x for a cart and 4x for a wagon but nobody will cry if you just make it so that only one hitched animal need to be lead because i would imagine that would be more newbie friendly (no need for multiple ropes or halter rope) and would be easier to code?

The reason for this request is that people could go around on foot, woodcutting or diggin or mining and lead the hitched animals to a cart or a wagon so that they can put the contents of their actions in the crates inside them.

Also if you want to drop dirt could be helpfull do to it on foot while you lead the cart/wagon with the dirt inside and is following you around.

It would be really nice not having to backtrack all the time to go get your vehicle then retrace your steps from pile to pile to decide what you are gonna put into crates.

This way it would be easy: you cut mine or dig... look in the pile... get what you want in the vehicle crates and move along while the vehicle follows you around.

• Like 4

Imagine  having your crate with dirt window open but can't take the dirt from it because the vehicle is now half a tile too far away:)

Imagine going on an archeology rampage and not littering the place with fragments because now  you can put them inside the vehicle following you.

Could also make it that a  special animal trait is needed in order to lead it while hitched to a vehicle to switch the meta to 60 AH but it might gate out new and casual players.

Also could just make it that a new vehicle is needed, something between a large cart and a wagon but i would imagine alot of ppl with rare large carts or wagons would not like this solution.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1

This has been suggested so many times that really we deserve at least some kind of response from developers about it.  

I can kind of, almost, sort of see why maybe a wagon doesn't work this way (you do indeed drive a wagon), but for a large cart it is only sensible that one leads the animal that pulls the cart.  Also, a single animal animal hitching to a small cart, and leadable, pretty please (1 horse, cow, sheep or pig - no bull).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

This has been suggested so many times that really we deserve at least some kind of response from developers about it.  

Maybe they worry ppl would just get the vehicle lead then hop on their fast mount and go 40km/h but that is not a problem as long as they make it so vehicles can only be lead if they have animals hitched to them (all slots filled) and the player issuing the command is on foot only.

They dont even have to make it complicated just check if the vehicle has full hitch and the player is on foot then  just activate the Lead option when right clicking the vehicle just like you would do with a mount.

L.E. And then use the message "You cannot do that while mounted" like you get if you try to forage/botanize while riding.

Edited by Cipacadrinho
  • Like 1

+1 :) Another option would be to let sheep be led while pulling small carts - or even better, add goats and let them do it!

5 hours ago, Attenia said:

+1 :) Another option would be to let sheep be led while pulling small carts - or even better, add goats and let them do it!

GOATS!

I keep saying Wurm needs goats.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 1:36 AM, TheTrickster said:

I can kind of, almost, sort of see why maybe a wagon doesn't work this way (you do indeed drive a wagon), but for a large cart it is only sensible that one leads the animal that pulls the cart.  Also, a single animal animal hitching to a small cart, and leadable, pretty please (1 horse, cow, sheep or pig - no bull).

I am in love with this suggestion; we've seen all the varieties of this suggestion, over and over again. I agree that it would be really great to get a word from the devs if this is on the list somewhere, or if there is some definite reason why it's not feasible at this time. 

Here is where I think most of the suggestions for this tend to fall - 

wagon | 2-4 hitched | bison, horse, etc | drive | lead - none 
large cart | 1-2 hitched | bison, horse, bull, etc | drive, drag | lead - foot only
small cart | 1 hitched | cow, sheep, pig | drag | lead - foot, , mounted on animal (not on vehicle)

• So wagon functions are basically unchanged
• large carts would gain the ability to lead the hitched animal(s) while player is on foot
• small carts would gain ability to hitch 1 mature to old animal sized pig to cow, & ability to lead hitched animal while player is on foot, or mounted on a single animal (ie. riding a cow, bull, horse, etc).  

For example: you might see a new/free player riding a cow, leading a cow/sheep/pig hitched to a small cart. 
This provides a bit more mobility and cargo transport for new & free players, but does not interfere with the restriction on the ability to drive

For example: you might see a player gathering resources on foot, leading animal(s) hitched to a large cart

This provides free players the ability to use the full capacity of a large cart that they would not otherwise be able to drag.
It also provides all players the ability to move more efficiently through a greater area while gather resources.

For example: you might see one or more players traversing terrain on foot / climbing slopes, leading animal(s) hitched to a large cart.
This provides greater flexibility to players who enjoy a "nomad" play style in Wurm, as there are times that you can lead an animal while climbing a greater slope than the animal would cross while being driven. 

3 hours ago, Amata said:

I am in love with this suggestion; we've seen all the varieties of this suggestion, over and over again. I agree that it would be really great to get a word from the devs if this is on the list somewhere, or if there is some definite reason why it's not feasible at this time. 

The only thing i could think of is that they don't want people to lead a cart in pvp with their mates as passangers then climb a dirt wall of an enemy deed so that the passangers dont lose any stamina?

But that can be fixed by disabling climb mode while leading a vehicle.

It has been discussed before as a means to make small carts useful. 

Like most suggestions it's a great idea, but not something we're actively working on. 

• Cat 1

13 hours ago, Retrograde said:

It has been discussed before as a means to make small carts useful. 

Like most suggestions it's a great idea, but not something we're actively working on. 

Thanks Retrograde. 

I can understand that this - although a super great idea - is probably a very low priority feature at this time.