Sign in to follow this  
LumpyGravy

try star citizen for free

One thing for sure, you gonna need a kick ass pc running that game and its quite complex game too. I may go there someday, once i get my pc upgrading some more. Just waiting for them to put more efforts into it, didnt care for Squadron 42 w/e that is.

Too those in favor of getting people to try it let me ask you a question

How many mortgages did you take out on your house in order to pay for your own virtual space ship that you cant even use yet?

I myself am waiting for the 2590 release of sc 1.0 or the 2780 release of all content for free with mtx 

Jokes aside i am happy i avoided sc when it first popped up still glad im not going to pay for it

I want to be able to pay for a product and get what i pay for if its an early access game that im interested in atleast have the game there or partly there instead of nothing for ages and even now days no thanks one ea's been through enough of them to not bother with them anymore i rather wait til 1.0 releases and go in with fun and joy then being bored of it

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

Too those in favor of getting people to try it let me ask you a question

How many mortgages did you take out on your house in order to pay for your own virtual space ship that you cant even use yet?

I myself am waiting for the 2590 release of sc 1.0 or the 2780 release of all content for free with mtx 

Jokes aside i am happy i avoided sc when it first popped up still glad im not going to pay for it

I want to be able to pay for a product and get what i pay for if its an early access game that im interested in atleast have the game there or partly there instead of nothing for ages and even now days no thanks one ea's been through enough of them to not bother with them anymore i rather wait til 1.0 releases and go in with fun and joy then being bored of it

And that's totally right. You want to pay for product, so don't because there is no product yet.

Payment for this should be only done by those, who actually wants to support project.

I paid a fair bit to support it and I don't even feel the need fo more content in actual alpha. I'd rather see CIG working on next core tech, especially iCache that is supposed to be done next year. And holy graail, Server Meshing. We received first iterations of server side object container streaming last year, so there are 2 most important technologies to be done. After we get server meshing in place, working with amazon cloud, whole content and mechanics in game should be pumped faster and faster, like the snowball effect. Now theres no any sense making any bugfixes or introducing mechanics for static server techs (not even, because right now SC isnt even connected to any database because its pointless) if they would have to rework all of them completely after server meshing is done.

It's fairly simple. If you don't have the disposable income, and don't want to support the project, then don't.

I bought a pack when they first were offering how ever many years ago that was.  I then recently tried one of the alphas, was happy with what I saw and decided to upgrade (<$15 more...) to another ship.  Is it ready for any sort of release? hell no.  They have a decent tech demo going though.  I enjoyed my time playing.  One of the biggest reasons I stopped was the disconnects, if you get disconnected you lose all your cargo. Which, is a bit disappointing if you're trying trade runs, slightly less so if you're mining.

If you don't have the disposable income, but are still interested in the project. They have free fly weekends a couple times a year, its a great time to come in and check out the ships and stuff.

I do remember reading some articles about they wanted a refund, by taking them to court, etc. Funny they didnt read the whole statement and many have invent alot of money into this dream game. Might be few more years or who knows before it get interesting.

comment_1604879068ZwIpIMh2d60EebKmdriQnu

317 176 706 USD gathered, game still not finished, as should be for now

heh, nice scam citizen

• Like 1

By looking at that, going to be another five or even ten years if they are lucky. Guess they are lack of creative people that want to kick back take their time with coffee and donuts. Of course dont want to rush it, would ended up with alot of bugs, but seriously with all the money fans have giving them, need to hire more people to help finish the damn thing already.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wildelf said:

By looking at that, going to be another five or even ten years if they are lucky. Guess they are lack of creative people that want to kick back take their time with coffee and donuts. Of course dont want to rush it, would ended up with alot of bugs, but seriously with all the money fans have giving them, need to hire more people to help finish the damn thing already.

It's completely deceiving way of seeing it. 

In CIG there are already almost 600 people working on Star Citizen. They are devided into few dozens smaller groups, from 3 to 20-30 people. Groups are working on single tasks, and also many of them are mobilie, swinging between some tasks. It's pretty clearly described and showed on new roadmap. There's a lot of money given to CIG, yeah. But it's not the most expensive game yet. Most people think so, because there many gaming sites and press are making bad PR for Star Citizen, by focusing on that aspect. 

GTA V was estimated to cost around 200 millions $
Destiny costed about 500 millions $. 

These are really, really huge values, but none speaks of them, why? Because they've been made in closed enviroment. In CIG we can clearly see everything about Star Citizen's development, and that's why many people are upset. If you can't see and you don't know anything, you can't be upset about it. 

So saying, that Star Citizen is a scam is purely lame. If we could follow up every game development, we'd say "scam" about at least half of them, due to huge costs, delays and breaking bugs on the way. 

None is also taking into account, that CIG is actually working on technologies, exclusively for Star Citizen, that are just inimaginable. Never ever made for any game in history, where all and every each of these technologies would possible revolutionize gamedev at all. I'm talking about techs like server meshing, SSOCS, Icache for memory managment, whole gas/ cloud/ weather tech, not seen in such shape in any game. Where everything is physicalised, even wind. Not saing that everything at some point will be physicalised, every cloth, every suit what we've seen on last citizencon. And all of these physics calculations will be completely serverside. 

And they are working on all of that and waaaaay more, on an engine that was never even created for multiplayer game. On engine that never supported anything related to server coding. They choosed this engine because it's modularity and furutre potential, but still they are reworking it for pretty much anything they want to add. 

That's why, as well as I'd love to see game in a year or two, I'm also patient and aware that I won''t see SC closer release built for another 5 years. Development will speed up like snowball once they create Server Meshing tech which is crucial. Till this time nothing can be made. Literaly can't be made without this particular tech. 

• Like 1

Interesting, with that many people working on it, either they argue about their ideas that wouldnt kickin and/or too many mistakes. Yeah i got a feeling this SC is gonna be lame for sometime now and i wouldnt even think about it. But i do want to see it complete at some points before i die lol.

1 hour ago, Wildelf said:

Interesting, with that many people working on it, either they argue about their ideas that wouldnt kickin and/or too many mistakes. Yeah i got a feeling this SC is gonna be lame for sometime now and i wouldnt even think about it. But i do want to see it complete at some points before i die lol.

It's only beacuse complexity of this project. Because of extreme details. Single ship that's in production has dispatched several different teams to make it. If you look closer on ships like Origin 890, single showcase tour takes 30-40 minutes just to see all rooms inside. There are different teams working on white boxing, texturing, materiala, different art team for floral decorations, lights, fx, sounds, physical components, sounds. And teams like that aren't working on all of the ships. Every single ship has own teams ordered to work on them. When they finish one, they dont go to help other teams, they are starting to work on next concept that has been prepared. So is with everything else. For most crucial core tech, that is server meshing... theres only 3-4 guys working on it. Only because adding more people to this would not only not help, but would most likely slow work on that. 

Chris Roberts explained it in last letter.

2 minutes ago, Alkhadias said:

It's only beacuse complexity of this project. Because of extreme details. Single ship that's in production has dispatched several different teams to make it. If you look closer on ships like Origin 890, single showcase tour takes 30-40 minutes just to see all rooms inside. There are different teams working on white boxing, texturing, materiala, different art team for floral decorations, lights, fx, sounds, physical components, sounds. And teams like that aren't working on all of the ships. Every single ship has own teams ordered to work on them. When they finish one, they dont go to help other teams, they are starting to work on next concept that has been prepared. So is with everything else. For most crucial core tech, that is server meshing... theres only 3-4 guys working on it. Only because adding more people to this would not only not help, but would most likely slow work on that. 

Chris Roberts explained it in last letter.

No, it really isn't.  I have never heard such tortured logic for vapourware.  Hundreds of millions of dollars and a story that having only 4 people working on something makes it go faster.  

I have this bit of magic paper for sale...

1 minute ago, TheTrickster said:

No, it really isn't.  I have never heard such tortured logic for vapourware.  Hundreds of millions of dollars and a story that having only 4 people working on something makes it go faster.  

I have this bit of magic paper for sale...

People who are working on server meshing, started their work years ago, when CIG had only 30 people onboard, not 600 like now.

They've made entire server meshing code from basics, all by themselces. And it isn't just another simply, few hundred lines code.

If after few years, theyd like to add more people to work on this code, they would need months to learn how it's working, every single part of it. And guys who created and are working on it, would need to devide their time between working on it, and teaching new people about their code. It really wouldnt speed up the process. More doesnt always mean better. 

And about details, here i created simple gallery of my ship tour. I managed only to get pics of maybe 15-20% of ship rooms. This is the level of detail we're talking about. And its not about its size, just details put inside, including plants etc. Here are in fact few dozens of people needed to make it. And ships arent even completed yet, due to core mechanics that arent delivered yet. Like physicalised components.

https://imgur.com/a/ks9fY2m

think i was shown this game the other day by someone who plays it, if u buy a ship for i think 40 or 60 or more dollars then its the game ,its going to be big ,i liked the look of it it has potential ,his ship worked fine , some probs atm they work around he told me ,