Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Merge PvP and PvE

Let PvE and PvP players meet on one big map, but divided into zones where everyone will have what suits them best.

etjnSoc.jpg

The green zone is PvE gameplay in the same shape and rules as it is today. Except for certain restrictions such as limiting ql of all trees, meat, hides, stones and metal veins etc to 30ql. If the oven or forge or any other crafting station is moved to this zone, its ql is limited to 30 forever (It does not apply to armor, weapons and such items).

The yellow zone should be limited to 60ql. But on it you can be attacked by other players, although after killing you they should not be able to take items from the body.
Locks in this zone can be 100% safe if they have ql 61+ locks.
Buildings on deed cannot be destroyed.
If you are traveling on horseback/cart/wagon you may be attacked and defeated in combat. The opponent cannot collect your means of transport, but can take items out of it.

If the oven or forge or any other crafting station is moved to this zone, its ql is limited to 60 forever (It does not apply to armor, weapons and such items).

Everything outside the yellow zone should be PvP land with current PvP rules.

Sending items by mail would be possible only within the same zone, i.e. if you are in the green zone, you can only send items to a chest within this zone.

Edited by Darnok
  • Like 1
  • Cat 2

Please no. There are enough "safe zones" on Defiance as it is. Even there people don't want to interact with most of the PvP systems. If anything we need greater separation between pvp and pve areas. 

• Like 4

Or you could just port over to Defiance and play on starter islands if you are afraid of getting killed. There is no need for zones in an open world sandbox.

• Like 4

We already have zones similar to the yellow area in your suggestion. They are called the starter areas and they're pretty safe - especially if your deed has people online during the 2 hours your deed can actually have its buildings damaged.

What problem do you believe this solves? Convincing (or luring) more people to engage in PvP? Bait for the clueless to be ganked by griefers? 

• Like 1

This is basically what defiance is, except the safe area are the NW NE and South starter islands. most pvp happens around the center or the north around White light. You should give defiance a try.

• Like 1

The last time they tried to combine PvE and PvP players it damn near killed the game.  -1

• Like 2

I understand you, but you don't understand that there is no trade between PvP and PvE right now.
These zones would allow PvE players to sell their goods to PvP players.

I don't want to create a new character and start over, I want to be able to play in all zones with this one character.
I am not a player who has been in wurm from the beginning, I am here since few weeks and for me it makes no sense to create many characters, and if I use the PvP portal, it is like creating a new character and starting over. In my opinion, there are many people who think the same, because in other MMOs it works like that. And they quit the game when they find out that there are some other strange rules here. If the wurm wants to succeed and attract more new players, it has to change.

Edited by Darnok

2 minutes ago, Darnok said:

I understand you, but you don't understand that there is no trade between PvP and PvE right now.

I don't want to create a new character and start over, I want to be able to play in all zones with this one character.
I am not a player who has been in wurm from the beginning, I am here since few weeks and for me it makes no sense to create many characters, and if I use the PvP portal, it is like creating a new character and starting over. In my opinion, there are many people who think the same, because in other MMOs it works like that.

Largely because the trade is weighted heavily in favour of PvP.

If you want to see how that kind of trade pans out, come visit us on the old cluster.  We have trade with PvP; it has not gone well!

11 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

Largely because the trade is weighted heavily in favour of PvP.

If you want to see how that kind of trade pans out, come visit us on the old cluster.  We have trade with PvP; it has not gone well!

I haven't been on these servers, but I suspect that the economic problems in the long run have nothing to do with the trading between PvP and PvE, the fact that items are indestructible. I mean, they can be repaired and improved endlessly, such an idea is an economy killer.

Each new item should have a certain number of improvements, e.g. as much as skill of crafter, e.g. you have 50 blacksmithing, you can upgrade new items up to 50 times after that, the item is blocked and no one can upgrade it anymore. Obviously, there would be failures within those 50 attempts, so ultimately the ql of your final products would be different and you would have to create many new items rather than practicing the same forever. When items get damaged, repairing them would further reduce ql, and an imp block would make the item unusable over time. In this way, we would have a system at least a little closer to the real economy.

No never and don't ever please. Mixing PVP with PVE worked out really very bad. PVP must be fully separated.

Don't allow to stash away the PVP loot in PVE zones. No trade please between PVP/PVE, that distorted PVP gameplay to omuch on Chaos.

I would never ever touch PP again if that happened, the same reason I've never played on Chaos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

there is no trade between PvP and PvE right now.

Good, all that does is just make people hoard all the good things in the safety of PvE and make people less reluctant to go out to fight. 

Edited by atazs

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

I am not a player who has been in wurm from the beginning, I am here since few weeks and for me it makes no sense to create many characters, and if I use the PvP portal, it is like creating a new character and starting over. In my opinion, there are many people who think the same, because in other MMOs it works like that. And they quit the game when they find out that there are some other strange rules here. If the wurm wants to succeed and attract more new players, it has to change.

Then go to Chaos, which is exactly the same but allows travel between PvE and PvP with all your skills and items. 

If you have the skills, you can re-create your items easily, or ask your kingdom to help you out. If you are a decently skilled player who wants to pvp, and tell them that you come from pve, they will be more than happy to provide you with stuff

Edited by atazs

Did you all played EVE online? Why does the PvE and PvP merge on one big map works there, but here it wouldn't work? You are all wrong, there are many examples of crafting MMOs where this idea works great and if it does work there it would work here.

Because it has happened before, and it damn nearly killed the game 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, atazs said:

Because it has happened before, and it damn nearly killed the game 

So there is something wrong with Wurm.

simply put , no

if someone wants to go to pvp, feel free to go to pvp servers

but if as you suggested to cap the ql per zone...

i'd stop playing imediately, i didnt join this game for pvp neither do i care for it, and having my game capped just like non-premium does?

bye bye that type of game

and comparing a competitive game like Eve to wurm is like comparing LoL to minecraft

Edited by Benalish
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Darnok said:

So there is something wrong with Wurm.

Or is something wrong with Eve, at least from the point of view of Wurm (and other) PvE players. Personally, I would never play Eve. But ymmv.

2 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Or is something wrong with Eve, at least from the point of view of Wurm (and other) PvE players. Personally, I would never play Eve. But ymmv.

Eve is more popular than wurm, so...if you are looking for a criterion to judge which is better, I would bet on it.

2 hours ago, Benalish said:

simply put , no

if someone wants to go to pvp, feel free to go to pvp servers

but if as you suggested to cap the ql per zone...

i'd stop playing imediately, i didnt join this game for pvp neither do i care for it, and having my game capped just like non-premium does?

bye bye that type of game

and comparing a competitive game like Eve to wurm is like comparing LoL to minecraft

You do not understand that I am not saying that maps like Cadence or pure PvP should be eliminated, I just see the possibility of developing the game further by creating a server with the map I described. If this style of gameplay does not suit you it is fine you can play on other maps.

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

Eve is more popular than wurm, so...if you are looking for a criterion to judge which is better, I would bet on it.

That's a case of comparing apples to dilithium crystals. The fact that they both have PvP elements are perhaps the least relevant details to compare the two. 

I have a dim view of Wurm's PvP. I'm generally carebear-ish in MMO games to start with*, and Wurm's PvP just simply seems unrewarding in the extreme, even with the improved skill speed and such. Adding more bells and whistles won't make the core gameplay more rewarding, so the "improvements" that PvP-centric players suggest are not likely to be appealing to PvE-centric players. 

* That's not to say that I don't enjoy some good PvP. I'm looking forward to Crowfall. I play Fortnite, Rocket League, and a few other PvP games competitively. But mixing PvP and PvE is a tricky balance, and few games get it right - especially when they're heavily PvE-focused, and tack on some PvP elements. Ultima Online's PvP has never been good. Everquest's (and EQ2's) PvP has never been good. WoW's PvP has never been good. And so on. 

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

You do not understand that I am not saying that maps like Cadence or pure PvP should be eliminated, I just see the possibility of developing the game further by creating a server with the map I described. If this style of gameplay does not suit you it is fine you can play on other maps.

You didn't answer the question I asked before: What problem do you believe this solves? And to add on to that, what does this idea of yours offer that the Defiance server doesn't? 

Saying that wurm should go that way just because eve got more players? Why doesnt eve go the way like fortnite? Battle royale style

• Like 1