Sign in to follow this  
Antony

A discussion on the Loyalty Program

So I want to talk about Marks.

I wouldn't mind paying a hundred bucks for being able to care for another creature, and to increase my maximum sleep bonus pool by an hour, but I'm already subbed till 2022 and in the next 2 years there's probably gonna be more things added to the Mark store.

So should I just wait those 2 years before I sub again for my next bunch of marks? Or should I just keep racking up years and years of subscription.

It bothers me. I'd feel so much happier just paying for cosmetics or tiny optional features or additions, instead of buying years and years of subscription.

I'd buy silver, but at 20 marks for every 1 silver purchased I had might as well wave goodbye to my savings. Hell, I wouldn't even want the silver, all I want is that +1 hour to maximum sleep bonus pool and the +1 to animals I can care for. And I don't need my subscription to outlive me.

Name Marks Premium via store (GBP) Premium via token Required Silver via store*
Random Moon Metal Lump 3,000 £6.99 10s 1g 50s (£138.58)
Random Ancient Jackal Moon Skin 3,000 £6.99 10s 1g 50s (£138.58)
Sleep Powder 3,000 £6.99 10s 1g 50s (£138.58)
Monthly Skin 4,500 £6.99 20s 2g 25s (£211.16)
Gift Pack 4,500 £6.99 20s 2g 25s (£211.16)
Shaker Orb 6,000 £13.98 20s 3g (£277.17)
Random Affinity 10,000 £20.97 40s 5g (£461.95)
Wooden Nameplate 18,000 £20.97 60s 9g (£831.51)
Care for one more creature 22,500 £41.94 80s 11g 25s (£1,042.67)
Rod of Transmutation 25,000 £41.94 90s 12g 50s (£1,154.87)
Magical Ink 27,000 £41.94 90s 13g 50s (£1,247.26)
Sleep Bonus 27,000 £41.94 90s 13g 50s (£1,247.26)
Faith Swap 27,000 £41.94 90s 13g 50s (£1,247.26)
Small Magical Chest 30,000 £48.93 1g 15g (£1,385.85)
Golden Mirror 35,000 £55.92 1g 20s 17g 50s (£1,616.82)
Meditation Path Change 36,000 £55.92 1g 20s 18g (1,663.02)
Large Magical Chest 42,000 £69.9 1g 40s 21g (£1,940.19)
Magical Tome 54,000 £90.87 1g 80s 27g (£2,494.53)

* Going by 20 marks per silver purchased, as per the wiki.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Edited by Antony
Added a question mark.
  • Like 3

multiple years of premium gang rise up

i kinda wish they were tradable tokens you can use on any account instead of being instantly used so you can trade for them or something instead of being forced to buy multiple years of prem to get everything

• Like 2

love how you still need active subscription to see and use this market, even with the currency in it having nothing to do with your active subscription.🤔

• Like 3

I know the feels. Would love to buy silver at a similar mark rate to premium.

You have premium time until 5 Apr 2022 17:17:49 GMT

You have premium time until 7 Sep 2021 17:16:22 GMT

Shareholders don't see how much silver was bought. They see subscriber numbers.

• Like 2

If they increase mark gain from silver purchases, that’ll push people to add a lot of silver to the economy which might cause some problems. It’s a reward for supporting the game through your subscription, it’s not supposed to be that you want something from the store so you buy premium (which I’d say might be an argument against having a monthly skin made in it). 

3 minutes ago, LionIX said:

If they increase mark gain from silver purchases, that’ll push people to add a lot of silver to the economy which might cause some problems

there's currently 763 gold across the 4 new servers, how much are you expecting people to buy solely to buy loyalty shop items

i think and most of new players are looking this the wrong way... marks wasn't suposed to be something that you buy silver and premium for. It comes along with buying silver and premium as additional perks, i don't belive it was meant to just pour euros on first day and buy extra sleep hour, extra creature, magic chest etc but more like you play for years and after that you have option to be rewarded for playing that long with gift of your choosing...

Weater they should allow to be able to buy items for euros directly on shop and steam for those more unpatient and willing to pour euros is another topic.. i don't really care that much if they do, might do good for their pockets...

• Like 1

I dunno, if you just buy the rewards, that doesn't really seem to be rewarding loyalty.  Mind you, I can see an argument for making at least some things available for silver purchase as well (as the magic chests already are).

29 minutes ago, kochinac said:

i think and most of new players are looking this the wrong way... marks wasn't suposed to be something that you buy silver and premium for. It comes along with buying silver and premium as additional perks, i don't belive it was meant to just pour euros on first day and buy extra sleep hour, extra creature, magic chest etc but more like you play for years and after that you have option to be rewarded for playing that long with gift of your choosing...

Whether you like it or not, the marks shop seems to be a gateway system to implementing a future item shop with a lot of stuff to buy. Sure, right now it's just a reward from buying premium.

But it's just indirectly buying "caring for an extra creature" with RL money with more steps involved than simply saying "Buy 50 000 marks for 80 euros".

26 minutes ago, elentari said:

Whether you like it or not, the marks shop seems to be a gateway system to implementing a future item shop with a lot of stuff to buy. Sure, right now it's just a reward from buying premium.

But it's just indirectly buying "caring for an extra creature" with RL money with more steps involved than simply saying "Buy 50 000 marks for 80 euros".

honestly i don't care at all, just saying what i think was intention by wurms briliant game designers :P  not the first time they had no clue what people wanted and how will use it when they made something...

Oh I agree. And i'm also guilty for buying a full year's of prem so I can afford a tome and a magic chest.

However it seems people do that not for the prem itself , but for the items/benefits from the shop.

Now again, why remove RMT since this is basically still RMT in game with extra steps?

Why can't we have the marks shop either A) changed so we can buy said items with RL $

or B ) Add an extra shop where similar bonuses could be bought directly with $

Is this due to steam rules or somesuch? I'm not familiar with steam's legal policy versus cash shops in games.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 2:22 PM, Sindusk said:

MICROTRANSACTIONS make the money..... not subscriptions.... ask warframe.. 

The game gets in top10 steam titles quite often, guess how and why.. they must have many premium subscribers. Don't think so.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

On 9/9/2020 at 11:22 PM, Sindusk said:

Electronic Arts would like to have a word with you as to why they do not care about sub numbers and are all about mtx 

"EA made $993 million from live services during the quarter ended December 31. For the 12 months as a whole, EA made $2.835 billion from microtransactions. EA made a total of $1.593 billion in revenue for the quarter and $361 million in profit, so as you can see, microtransactions are very big business for EA. A major part of EA’s microtransaction revenue comes from the Ultimate Team modes for EA’s sports games, including FIFA, Madden, and NHL."

Or look at any other game out there subs only show popularity nowadays but shareholders only care about actual income that a product makes regardless of popularity if the product they sell is popular good but popular and making 5m vs disliked but still used and making 50m in mtx shareholders will be happier with the 2nd

Same goes in this instance of prem time vs silver purchase sure prem time purchases are important factor of steady long term income but silver spending can net so so so much more in a short time and is something shareholders would focus on if they ever really wanted to go "hey lets milk wurm for as much as we can"

3 hours ago, wipeout said:

Or look at any other game out there subs only show popularity nowadays but shareholders only care about actual income that a product makes regardless of popularity if the product they sell is popular good but popular and making 5m vs disliked but still used and making 50m in mtx shareholders will be happier with the 2nd

From this press release (translated to English).

Monthly update of paying subscribers

Wed, Sep 02, 2020 08:30 CET

The Group has currently passed 8,000 actively paying subscribers. At the last update, which was submitted on 20 August 2020, the Group had 6,500 actively paying subscribers, a growth of approximately 23%.

The growth is as expected and consists largely of new paying subscribers in the company's game Wurm Online, which was launched on the Steam platform in July. The company will continue the work of developing the product and its marketing through various channels.

Steam - https://store.steampowered.com/ The
Steam platform is the largest digital distribution platform for PC games. In 2019, the service had over 34,000 games with over 95 million active users every month.

Last month's update of paying subscribers:https://news.cision.com/se/gamechest/r/manadsuppdatering-av-betalande-abonnenter,c3164366

This seems to be the only value mentioned in their press releases. GCG Investor Relations

This is because GCG mostly operates off subscription based services and the higher this number, the better the company does. Adding encouragement for people to subscribe for long periods of time, forcing high subscription numbers, is much easier to sell from a business perspective than explaining how much money they made from in-game microtransactions.

The way i see it we pay for premium time thats it.

The loyality program is a bonus they give to the customers and should not be looked at like a shop per say.

• Like 2

Aye, but the real cash influx from a lot of mmo's out there isn't from subscriptions but from microtransactions.

Keep in mind there are actually very few games that still use the subscription model. Wow comes to mind, but then again Activision has so much money at this point they don't really need it.

How you implement microtransactions is another thing. If you use a purely cosmetic shop or minor game conveniences then sure, a microtransaction shop would be harmless.

I mean I really can't call it game breaking to buy things like : +1 hour sleep bonus cap, or caring for an extra creature, or a unique skin, etc.

It really doesn't give you any advantage over others. But it could give Wurm some financial boosts over time.

Honestly personally I'd just rather have a shop where it says " This monthly shield skin for only 1.99 EUR" or "Care for 1 more creature for 4.99 EUR or care for 10 more creatures for 40 EUR" rather than having to pay premium, in order to get marks, so I can get the skin or extra creature slots. Hell you might even make more money long term that way. Just my 2 coppers there.

The farmers and breeders might be happy due to that.

But a shop that actively allows you to buy ingame advantages such as rare armors, skill boosters, affinity tokens, that's a big no no for me.

The delineation is where it offers a competitive advantage in pvp or where in Pve it creates artificial limitations to those who don't purchase from the shop.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2