Sign in to follow this  
CistaCista

Wurm Online being skinned alive

It would have been far more effective to correct the author without being antagonistic. 

That's all. It's not that he was "wrong" and you all are "right," it's that behaving like angry children puts a bad light on the "community" though all the evidence presented indicates it is an accurate depiction.

• Like 6

Despite reading some posts i'm still struggling a lot to see what the writer did so bad to "offend" the Wurmians.

Could have gotten some more publicity for the game by maybe building a better relationship with the writer and the site owner(s), but nope -- great attitude keep it up.

I don't think i'll come post again (or maybe in a while) good luck Wurm

• Like 3

I read the articles. Didn't see any "skinning alive" going on. It was a quite entertaining read actually.

There are some toxic comments to the articles by those old time banned x-wurmians that are bashing the game everywhere they can as usual, if that is what is meant by "skinning alive"...

• Like 2

I started Wurm with its Steam release, so you could call me fairly new.

Before I played the game I've eaten the wiki and was zero confused and not even once had to ask a question to this day. When I had a question it was sth. about the programming or pricing.

Wurm online is a very simple game, easy to learn, easy to master. So I have zero tolerance for those people who don't want to read or get read the rules of the game. 

That are my 2 cents, peace out

• Like 2

I'm not fond of the tone of the article, true. However being rude in the comments of the article is a bad look as well. Being kind and helpful in the comments would do a lot more to promote Wurm than whatever the original author wrote.

Edited by Moxie
  • Like 3

The problem with game review sites is very similar to regular news sites in general. They dont get paid by the accuracy of their article, they get paid by the number of people that click the page and have ads shown in their browser. Thus the more crazy or elaborate they make the clickbait the better. "Choose My Adventure: The slow-burning, esoteric start of Wurm Online", just look at that title, how can you resist clicking it. Then once you are there, the articles contents primary objective is to get you to hit the next button (to display more ads). So thats why the article is a story of the reviewer going down some rabbithole to figure out how to smelt some iron, its just trying to keep the reader interested. 

Pretty sad really, I stopped giving any stock in news websites or review sites a long time ago, there are very few that write an honest article, be it real world news or game reviews.

• Like 3

Can we stop for a second and just admit that maybe this isn't the best game in the world?  I love the game, mostly for the people I play with, but not the game.  The game is seriously flawed, and poorly designed.  I love my townspeople though that's why I keep coming back :)

10 minutes ago, sweatygopher said:

Can we stop for a second and just admit that maybe this isn't the best game in the world?  I love the game, mostly for the people I play with, but not the game.  The game is seriously flawed, and poorly designed.  I love my townspeople though that's why I keep coming back :)

For me currently it is the best game. There are other games that are better for shorter periods of time, but I always come back to this one, not to other games.

Saying that the game is serously flawed is just wrong. It has some areas that are,  PvE combat mostly, creature spawns are pretty strange, getting into the game as a new playert is tough etc.  But it has many things that are great an completly unique too and for me they outweight the bad ones.

Doesn't mean that it shouldn't be critisized. It's totally understandable that many people don't like it, it's very niche. But seriously flawed no, it's just not for everyone.

Edited by Torgrim
  • Like 2

Everybody's had their first steps noob experience with Wurm. This guy's was one of the less good ones for sure but you can tell he's not going to stick around long because he's got a job to do. Nothing to learn from the articles apart from his time sink is too precious. May be different if he sticks at it but I for one couldn't give a rat's azz for this one.

Joining a pvp server would have been better for him I think too for the article's sake.