Sign in to follow this  
Tobe

New thatched roof textures

I'm sure something similar to this has been mentioned, but I'm not talking about the roof models like previous threads sort of went into.

Figured now with the revival after the steam release would be a good time to bring it up.

Thatched roofs are beautiful, the current texture for these roofs in-game is not.

They don't have to be extravagant or anything like that, just look a little less boring.

I'm certain many people feel the same way.

Like this:

Spoiler

89348790-old-beautiful-wooden-house-with

Or maybe even multiple types of thatched roofs unlocked by the skill.

Edit: Did a quick texture myself and replaced the in-game one in DeedPlanner. I think this serves as a better example.

Spoiler

hlo1Vvj.png

Thanks. :)

Edited by Tobe
Did a quick example lol
  • Like 14

Looks good! I would love more options for thatched roofs!
And while we're at it, I would also love wood log house walls like in your picture xD

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cayce said:

Looks good! I would love more options for thatched roofs!
And while we're at it, I would also love wood log house walls like in your picture xD

Totally agree with that. :)

Living in a deep forest along a lake on Xanadu with one of these:

Spoiler

780ecefdc6113fc8d9310144815639ae.jpg

That would be too cozy xD

• Like 3

+1 The current thatched roof really does need improving - it does not motivate players to skill thatching and thatch their cottages.

A couple of options of types would be so good.  Come on Devs ! 

• Like 2

Once upon a time we had auto-roofs, that were created once all walls of the house were completed. In my opinion those auto-roofs looked better than the thatch roof we have now. I did the grind to getting 20 thatching once, but felt heavily disappointed by the looks of the thatch.

When travelling around wurm, I don't think anyone is using the thatch look. So I'm all for a remodelling. Or if nothing else, why not bring the old look back, from the auto-roofs. That texture must be present in some old files.

Arguably thatched roofs are the hardest to make, because of being it's own skill. You need to grind 1-20 specifically to get access to this roof type. Please make it a valuable skill by not keeping the looks of the thatched roof so utterly rubbish.

• Like 2

While I am not completely against your proposal, I want to preserve thatched roofs' current texture. It perfectly fits marble and bright wall structures in Wurm.

Spoiler

10BCCNh.png

Here a small one on my deed.

Spoiler

P5130012.jpg

Here a larger RL one

Spoiler

800px-Freesenort4.jpg

Another RL one

And though I looked at a number of thatched roof pictures, I saw few if any with the tiled texture as proposed. I could imagine it as an alternative. But I would like to preserve the current texture

• Like 2

I definitely agree this thatching thing needs to be higher on the priority list: As an artist, medieval reenactment actress, and avid role-player,  I was very much looking forward to the experience of discovering what thatched roofing was available. In medieval times, thatching was considered an honored art form. Each thatcher would top their buildings with a stylized finish that served as that thatcher's trade mark. Obviously we can't do that in game. But, when I first saw the thatched roof texture I tried to overcome my deep disappointment by maxing out my graphics options and reload the game to figure out at what level the texture actually took on it's true form. The texture didn't change much, leaving me heartbroken that the roof was so amateurish. What was worse, it was the ONLY texture available for thatching.  It's flat nature makes it look more like rock however, which is why it looks so nice for Ekcin's hut.

On 9/19/2020 at 2:45 PM, Ekcin said:

While I am not completely against your proposal, I want to preserve thatched roofs' current texture. It perfectly fits marble and bright wall structures in Wurm.

Hide contents

10BCCNh.png

Here a small one on my deed.

My guess is, this texture has been around a while. But I agree, we need more thatch options,. That there is a thatch 'skill' leads me to believe that the Wurm developers are interested as well in creating more thatching options. Perhaps it was put on a back burner? But I encourage it to be brought to the forefront if this is the case because thatched roofing is an essential part of the medieval experience. I would add these features specifically:

• THREE different levels of thatch roof styles for building:
  1. The original thatch: skill 20+
  2. An extruded version of the original (making it more shapely and three dimensional other than just a flat 1 polygon roof) skill 30+https://imgur.com/3qks

3. A stylized Expert thatch roof 50+

This last option could be accomplished simply by adding nice edging that extrudes out slightly:

(I would like to add images to this post but each time I try it doesn't work: i.e. the link turns red and nothing happens. If anyone can help me fix this please feel free to message me in Wurm: Mesharette on Xan - Freedom Isles)

Edited by Leora
grammerical
  • Like 2

I agree, I would love to see more options for the thatched roofs! Those RL images you guys have shared look great!

having several thatch type would be nice. makes me think of an other post talking of hay bales... could use thatching to make those too. giving the skill more attention. could also add a makeshift bed (few thatch + a sheet) would give only 50% sleep bonus but could be more easily made for new players. no need to hunt for some fur.

• Like 1