Sign in to follow this  
Ismira

Animals

I have noticed that when animals are on veggies they are tearing them, I go form 1 patch of veggies to now 7 gone. I laid piles of mix grass but it doesn't seem to help. 

Would you eat grass if you can get veggies? 😉 But seriously, grazing animals will first eat up what grows in soil. 

They can ruin newly sown tiles very easily.  If possible, try to have areas that are newly sown and other areas that are 2 days or more old, and rotate them over to the "older" tiles. If it is grass, try to keep them on medium-tall-wild and away from "short" especially newly sown. If you are resowing, try to feed the animals to FULL before planting new vegetation, otherwise if they are still hungry from sitting on a dirt pile, they will just devour the new tile too. Potatoes and pumpkins are good for this.

I keep mine on farm times but I have medium pens + gates + hitching posts so i can move them around if they start grazing one area too much. You can "place" hitching posts in areas where the tiles are not newly sown (sometimes they seem to graze and adjoining tile instead of the one directly under the post.)

I have also seemed to notice they all have increased appetites lately, not just the pregnant moms (who eat like 2x-3x normal) but the foals and non-pregnant animals too.

I do agree with you that it SEEMS like they are all suddenly eating more lately, though. Usually if some have eaten a tile to dirt,  I can feed them one or two  .30kg grains and fill them up, lately it has taken me 4-6 for some of them and these are not animals standing on dirt for days, they were ones I had checked just the day before.

It's hard though to separate fact from observational error, so we may need some other animal keepers to chip in on whether they believe anything have changed, maybe in their "polling" system or whatever periodically checks an animals status and causes them to eat.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I agree..I have bison on Xanadu that are on my veggie farm, and may 2 patches are gone. but with these on Melody I woke up to 8 gone.