Sign in to follow this  
Eleraan

Fix the Benediction Prayer Grind

I just think it's weird how disproportionately difficult it is compared to the other tasks. 

Considering how good the benefit is, I think it makes sense that it takes a long time, but it would be nicer if the grind wasn't "spam prayer for months". It could maybe be changed by adding more depth to the prayer skill and more ways of grinding it.

• Like 1

I just wish it was a more active thing. Ive been praying 2-9 hours a day with sleep bonus, i've run out of powder so its going to get bad from here, and aff food for about 40 days. Gone from 40 to 48 prayer.  

Im really starting to hate this grind. I need to be doing other things too so it is a constant debate. The fact that it is constantly doing something that isnt normally part of actively playing sucks. Stopping to meditate or sermon gives me some tome to play the game while making progress. This just feels bad.

Getting drunk seems to help the rate at which i get prayer ticks... but praying has a chanve to just sober you up.... 

Just such an unfun system.  I'd rather have to shatter 100 items. Or sacrafice 100 animals or something.

As an upcoming Libila priest, I do have to say that praying non-stop seems like a really awful way to waste time. I'm already making plans on how to cook while chained to the altars range. This isn't fun at all. I'll have to remodel my house with more windows, so I'll at least see life running by my house from time to time... I sure as hell won't be part of it for a long time, if I want to have what everyone else has to go through.

But, just consider the following situation for a moment: The benediction buff would get taken out of the game. What would remain of the prayer skill? What would actually skilling prayer make it worth skilling? Improved praying times? Hah!

I don't expect anything to happen from this suggestion though, as grinding is the holy part of Wurm, and grinding costs time, which in return costs money the devs want and need to keep the game running.

True enough. Of all the things in Wurm this one most seems like a reason to force people to premium.  But it doesn't really make sense as I will keep my priest active as long as I am playing actively.  I just hate this sitting here doing nothing productive for months.  Over a month to get 8 points and it will only get harder from here.  I should be off surface mining.  Filling up crates of high quality ore.  Milking animals and doing my breeding runs. Instead I am spamming a button over and over on my third screen doing something that I'll never get a benefit from the skill I just grinded.   

Your right most likely nothing will come from it but not because the devs want to milk money but because they have no intention of fixing anything that isn't beneficial to the players it feels like at this point.  Maybe when people can start doing journals on the northern servers we can get steam riled up enough they are forced to do something.  I guess I could go start posting in steam too.  I got the time as I sit here watching my prayer bar fill up over and over again. 

Well we do want changes... but I'll hold off to see how they actually handle the sacrifice change before I'll ask for the same treatment. 

Prayer goal is a stupid waste of time. Monthes of spamming prayer button. It is not comparable with another goals for benediction.

You cannot achieve it just playing the game. I thind devs shoud rework either goal or prayer skill itself.

• Like 1

After the code was looked into, Optimal prayer skillgain is 1 faith  1 alignment(or -1) praying on your gods chosen tile/item.

Why is that even a thing?

Make a change 2500 enchanted items maybe to low make it 5k and it's okey or use 1million favor

10 hours ago, Rudie said:

After the code was looked into, Optimal prayer skillgain is 1 faith  1 alignment(or -1) praying on your gods chosen tile/item.

Why is that even a thing?

Technically, optimal skill gain is getting converted by a low preaching priest to end up below 1 faith. Then pray on the gods chosen tile/item to avoid gaining more faith. Alignment doesn't come into play at all, thank god.

The whole thing is absolutely ridiculous. If you're a 100 faith priest, you're going to spend multiple times more hours or days praying than someone who does it correctly.

In summary: The best end-game priest reward is most optimally obtained by being as far away from a priest as possible.

• Like 2

i just champed up on epic and it instantly finished the goal without losing any stats

dam those dumb pvpers for asking for pvp changes and fixing this

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

It could have been made something like meditation, so you don't have to spam all day every day, doing nothing

i got my priest to 70 prayer as did many others, and i still get 0-5 power casts

Well yeha its a 5+ Power increes you can roll under 0 (the fails) and then get a + 5 on this one so if you role a -1 you will get a 4 Power cast. (This is how you get the abolve 100 Powercasts with the hidden improvment bonus + the 5 Benediction bonus)

I'm still on either adding in other active ways to raise prayer such as attending sermons, converting, or sacraficing.  Or changing it to something I can actually do while playing my character.  

After hitting 50 skill my gains have gone down using the same set up to about 60% of what I was getting at 49 for the same time frame of spamming prayer with sleep bonus and a pizza.  I dread to think what it will be as I continue climbing.  Its been about 2 months now and I've only gone from 40 to 51.  Burning all my sleep bonus from well sleeping, doing missions, and burning powders.  I don't like time gated things like meditation but at least I can do that while still getting to play the game.  This grind I've done that I truly hated.  It is by far the least fun thing I've done in Wurm to date.

On 10/6/2020 at 6:18 AM, Oblivionnreaver said:

i just champed up on epic and it instantly finished the goal without losing any stats

dam those dumb pvpers for asking for pvp changes and fixing this

on that note

i take it back, enable champs on defiance

bump, prayer grind is still bad. At the very least, the penalty for having high faith should be removed. Ideally the grind shouldn't be as awful as it is now.

• Like 1

It doesn't make sense that the best way to get this is to not even be a priest at all.

it's not like the journal requirement needs to be removed or that prayer skill needs to be made "easier"...but changed. It can still be hard, but logical. Maybe require high faith to get the gains

Edited by Derp

If the difficulty for prayer skilltick purposes was equal to your faith when praying at a 50ql altar, this would maybe be reasonable. Basically everything in the game has methods to adjust difficulty to your skill, yet prayer does not. Why is this? Let us simply adjust the altar ql and have a reasonable (45%+) chance to get a tick on each action.

Edited by ianrose

why dont we just change the game into Challenge v3, or 4 (who knows, nobody cared after the 2nd one, wonder why 🤔) as a whole, with all of these suggestions lately

I think people still don't understand the grinding method doesn't make sense. Unless you want your grind to take twice or three times as long, you must grind it with very low faith. This means you have to use stupid tricks like go from Defiance to a PvE server or the other way around, if you are a high faith priest on one server.

It being slow is fine. Having to use non-sensical tricks is not fine.

• Like 2

It's unfair to those who have got high faith - in other words a penalty for working hard at something else. Arguments of making the game easier don't really fit with this if we're being consistent.

It's easy for those who haven't put in the effort. You should be with us Oreo!

Faith should be taken out of the equation and replaced with something else that actually comes with working on an account

1 hour ago, Derp said:

It's unfair to those who have got high faith - in other words a penalty for working hard at something else. Arguments of making the game easier don't really fit with this if we're being consistent.

It's easy for those who haven't put in the effort. You should be with us Oreo!

Faith should be taken out of the equation and replaced with something else that actually comes with working on an account

Faith? You seem to have misread the OP

2 hours ago, Melros said:

Faith? You seem to have misread the OP

Higher faith = harder to gain praying skill

• Like 1