Sign in to follow this  
Eleraan

Fix the Benediction Prayer Grind

So, All I lack is my prayer to 70 grind for the Benediction for our Priest.  They are Lib so the bonus to gains.  Burning sleep bonus they are getting .001 skill at just 43.28 prayer.  If they keep getting the .001 and got a tick every prayer it would just take 360 hours of straight prayer grinding.  Now we know the skill gains will go down.  And We don't get a tick every time even using a 5 ql gold altar.  

If there was some gain to doing this or something more active than just queing up their 5 prayers constantly it wouldn't be so bad but this is straight cancer.

Why is it such a pain to grind? Why can't preaching give some prayer at the same time or something like sermons to increase the gains.  There has to be a better way than just spamming prayer for probably a thousand hours to get 25 odd skill in an ability I'll probably never really do again after I am maxed Faith and done with the stupid 70 grind. 

Things we could add in to affect it if you insist on keeping the 70 prayer a thing.

Sermons give prayer skill as well.

Converting and Confessing gives prayer skill as well.  

Posting annoying posts in suggestions begging for a QOL change as if you were praying to an angry vengeful god should give prayer ticks... anything beats what we have now. 

• Like 8

70 prayer is a stupid goal on the journal its also the last thing blocking my priest.

I think it is fine as is. The +5 to your casts all the time is a huge thing. Im currently working my way up to 70 prayer as well. It does suck, but its also one of the easier skills, since you just do the one action over and over again.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

universally remove the 3x smaller skilltick on creation-only skills ( including, from how I understand it, prayer skill operates )
(optionally) allow CoC on altars

easy fix, and you still have your grind.
almost every skill is "easy" if you just consider hitting the same button easy.
It's hard in terms of skillgain, and in the "3x smaller ticks" category arguably a bit broken.

• Like 2

Just because it is "easy" to do. Doesn't mean it isn't painful. There is no benefit nor does it enrich your play style to stand for months spamming a single button.  It is pretty much the same as saying just log in a character and stand there for 4-5 months and don't do anything else on them.  Gratz here is your achievement. While benediction is a great bonus and it should not be super easy to do.  The problem is that doing a prayer grind is super un-fun and doesn't encourage actually playing the game.  

Also, if it is so easy to do then it should be replaced with something that actually takes effort and maybe might possibly be fun to do.  Kill 100 enemies with spells.  Enchant 100 items.  Sacrifice 100 creatures.  There are many better more active goals that could be subbed in that would require the player be active and not just do something that is so easy.   

Again, easy does not equate enjoyable.  I don't play a game, even one as grindy as Wurm is to bang my head against a wall.

• Like 1

It's painfull to grind if you are focussing on grinding it.

In the past I had 2 priests pray constantly for gems, while I was busy crafting/terraforming/etc on my main account.

(did some hfc on them so they could queue more then 3 prayers, hit pray 4-5times, then went back to my mains window, etc)

One of those got 77 prayer, the other 50ish, and because I wasnt focussing on it, it didnt feel like a grind at all. So if you are not playing a priest as main, you could just have them praying away while you do other stuff on your main.

Again, doesnt change the fact that your priests will be useless for that period. The goal isnt fun, but so isnt the 100-rift goal for the final journal goal. The dev's have to throw in some annoying, brainless timesinks so not everybody gets the benefit in under a year. (at least it feels like that was their plan, otherwise they could have put in some more active/fun goals instead of the brain-dead-timesink ones)

as someone who did 70 player on 4 priests i have, i must say huge NO. +5 spell cast is the literally end goal for any priest so it shouldnt be any easier. everyone expect to get this withing few months and it should never happen. End goals in wurm take years and it should stay this way. 

Edited by Skatyna

1 hour ago, Lycanthropic said:

The goal isnt fun, but so isnt the 100-rift goal for the final journal goal.

As someone who does main a priest when they're subscribed, in the course of normal play (i.e. not AFK alter chained) I'm more likely to hit 100 rifts before I hit 70 prayer without using champ/epic cheese.

I wouldn't mind if I weren't PAYING to not play the game for the hundreds of hours I'd be alter chained to get 70 prayer.

Prayer grind is a VERY good way to make sure priests remain as alts, and thus I oppose it.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

I wouldn't mind if I weren't PAYING to not play the game for the hundreds of hours I'd be alter chained to get 70 prayer.

But is it much difference when you are chained to a forge when you grind your multiple smithing skills up for a crafter? should we change those too? as i really much more prefer queuing prayers and tabbing out to continue my movie for the next 3-4 mins or do something else then being chained to a forge switching various needed tools to improve that fails, so you need repair, then improve again.. 

I see no differ whether priest is chained to an altar or a smith is chained to a forge. 

From what I understand, altar ql, faith bonus, and alignment lower the skill difficulty making it more difficult to get skill ticks.  So someone that isnt priest or actively trying not to level their alignment has the advantage, I think this is wrong to punish people that try to better their priests.

8 hours ago, Nicrolis said:

I think it is fine as is. The +5 to your casts all the time is a huge thing. Im currently working my way up to 70 prayer as well. It does suck, but its also one of the easier skills, since you just do the one action over and over again.

I don't think there'd be any issue with a long term goal like this if it served any purpose. 100 rifts sucks and people complain, but 70 prayer has really 0 benefit to the player, which just makes it worse.

I support removing 70 prayer simply because there should be a better task that has smaller rewards along the way, the same way rifts do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skatyna said:

But is it much difference when you are chained to a forge when you grind your multiple smithing skills up for a crafter? should we change those too? as i really much more prefer queuing prayers and tabbing out to continue my movie for the next 3-4 mins or do something else then being chained to a forge switching various needed tools to improve that fails, so you need repair, then improve again.. 

I see no differ whether priest is chained to an altar or a smith is chained to a forge. 

That's a good counterargument.

However, it fails to appreciate the scale.  Being chained to a forge trying to level blacksmithing only by creating needles (and never imping them) would be a better analogy.

I'd be glad to get smithing gains for prayer!

It may be rough, and not particularly useful, but at least it is dependent on you and no one else.

I find the Global cast goal and 100 rifts (which may not be at accessibly times) to be far more objectionable.

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

but 70 prayer has really 0 benefit to the player

Why do ppl think theres 0 benefit from that skill? 

the amount of gems i received from prayers is nowhere near close to compare to the amount i got on my main via digging and mining combined, and my main's 99.xx skill in both... sure thing those gems vary from 1 to 60ql, but the quantity of them i get praying is more than enough to have gems to store favour backup and grind channeling every now and again on low ql ones. Even now i just checked i have 10 backpacks of various gems laying around.. this is a huge benefit. then again i never stopped praying, priests still do that every now and again when i tab them on while playing main. [15:21:51] Prayer increased by 0.0101 to 83.6201

gems.jpg

And thats just "leftovers" as i used up probably 3 times as much already, if not more, all gained from prayer apart few higher ql ones i probably dumped in..

Edited by Skatyna

Most people who seem ok with this being a goal don't actually "play" their priest. They are an alt you are fine having sit at an altar spamming for prayers.  You toss out an enchant here and there but that is it.  For my village our two priests are a key part of the group beyond just the enchants.

One is our only 90+ miner, our main animal handler, our milker, and plays buff support for our combat trips.

The other is our main gardener, digger/terraformer with 90+ digging.  They are also Fo and our healer for combat trips. 

Having them tied to a altar for the next 4-5 months straight grinding the last 25 points of prayer is stupid.

They prayed to 90 faith with out any sermons plus had the 100 gems before they needed it from times when we did pray over the last like 4+ years they have been a priest just passively before the whole goal was added.

I don't expect it to be easy.  I don't expect it to be fast.  But I would like it to be something that facilitates actually playing my character and not just spamming prayers.  As for praying for gems their 95 mining, 80+ pickaxe with 90+ botd gets them far more gems faster while actually being beneficial.

Comparing the prayer grind to blacksmithing is a poor comparison.  Skilling up blacksmithing results in a useable skill later on that has a wide range of benefits.  The potential to proc rare items plus simply producing large numbers of useable tools or reimping tools your group may use.  As someone said it would be different if you skilled up by spamming making needles but didn't get to keep the needles and weren't allowed to make any rare+ items.

This would be better changed to an active challenge.  Sacrifice 1000 creatures of old or better.  Get 1000 gems from prayer if you want to stick with the prayer.  Shatter 1000 items.  Enchant 1000 items.  Spend 1 million favor.  Something that I could actively do PLAYING my character. 

If we insist on staying with the prayer some active tweaks could be done to make it a more involved skill.  Converting/confessing followers could give prayer ticks.  Attending a sermon where the preacher gets faith could give all those in attendance that provided a tick of faith a prayer tick.  You prayed along right? Plus this can benefit sermon groups by getting more attendance from those already 100 faith.

Give me a goal that takes how ever long the devs want it to take but make it something I can do while PLAYING my character and not spamming 1 button for months unmoving. I don't consider this playing the game yet to be the best priest I can be I have to finish this goal.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Skatyna said:

Why do ppl think theres 0 benefit from that skill? 

because it has literally 0 effect, a 1 prayer and a 100 prayer account both have a 2% chance for a gem on a prayer

• Like 3

+1 The skill (not the action)  doesn't even do anything right?

+1 such a ridiculous pointless goal. Its the worst in the whole journal system. Even worse than kill a creature with catapult. which no one would ever do in normal game play.

On 9/6/2020 at 2:58 AM, Lycanthropic said:

Again, doesnt change the fact that your priests will be useless for that period. The goal isnt fun, but so isnt the 100-rift goal for the final journal goal. The dev's have to throw in some annoying, brainless timesinks so not everybody gets the benefit in under a year. (at least it feels like that was their plan, otherwise they could have put in some more active/fun goals instead of the brain-dead-timesink ones)

Going to a rift is an actual in game activity and is thoroughly enjoyed/rewarded by many. at least before the jackal changes:/

This game has enough grind in it to not force people to play a priest as a prayer B*tch strapped to the altar.

Also sitting with 70 prayer as last goal cause i refuse to mind numbingly sit in front of a stupid altar for weeks and months on end working on a skill that provides absolutely no benefit. Also this is one of those skills that people macro heavily and many have gotten banned doing farming gems so its wrong to have that as a journal to encourage/benefit that activity.

I've been trying to allot a few hours every day to just prayer grinding on our 5ql gold altar.   Its taking like 5 minute to get a single .0049 tick of prayer at 43 prayer skill.  Really starting to consider using the champion cheese as I just don't want to not play my character for hundreds of hours.

You know they made the big channel link  change because it was a benefit that was "pay to win" but isn't just paying for months of premium to spam a single key doing something that takes no skill also kinda pay to win?  Basically it only takes paying premium to get this achievement that results in a valuable bonus! All these gems I am getting for just paying premium.  I bet I could make 20 priest alts and just spam prayer.  Obviously this gem farm is pay to win.... 

2 hours ago, Killroth said:

Going to a rift is an actual in game activity and is thoroughly enjoyed/rewarded by many. at least before the jackal changes:/

3XK7lY6.png

• Like 2

We enjoy rifts as we have just started doing them. Have only done 4 so far and had some deaths but so far fun.... lots more fun than spamming prayer constantly instead of actually playing.

The idea of using Prayer to modify sacrifice is great.  It would give you an active way to grind it and if it some how affected it that would give it a purpose! I love the idea. 

Yes the prayer requirement needs a change badly.

This requirement really feels like the result of somoene throwing a random skill requirement on the table and having no idea how hard it actually is.

Not to mention there already is a task related to the skill:

"Receive 100 gems by prayer"

Why not replace it with an actual usefull task:

"Enchant 2500 items"

That would take a while, but at least let the priest in question produce some usefull items.

Edited by GroeneAppel