Sign in to follow this  
munster

[Harmony] Snowballs in larder decaying very rapidly

I don't know if this is server or cluster specific, or 'working as intended', as I have no prior experience with larders. Asking around, other players who've used them on other servers seem to think a larder full of snowballs in the icebox should last all season.

2 days into snowball season, after filling a larder with good ql snowballs, already 20+ have varying amounts of decay from 1 damage to more than 50 damage. some 99ql snowballs have over 20 damage in barely 48 hours. 25ql oakenwood larder, made by me, on my deed. Snowballs were all freshly made and undamaged going into the icebox 2-2.5 days ago.

This seems broken.

GYLMsl1.png

dunno if that helps, but i have the same on other server. Picking snowballs and putting them in larder results some of them decaying very rapidly over the next few days, others stay all season. think it might be something to do with how long you had them in your inventory during collection until you put them in larder. i usually gather about 300, 100 goes in ice box, other 200 in the same larder shelf. few days later ones with 20+ damage go to skip, leaving me 100 in the ice box that last till next season.

Edited by Skatyna

39 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

think it might be something to do with how long you had them in your inventory during collection until you put them in larder. i usually gather about 300, 100 goes in ice box, other 200 in the lame larder shelf. few days later ones with 20+ damage go to skip, leaving me 100 in the ice box that last till next season.

I do similar. Get them OUT of inventory immediately, get way more than you need (300 sounds about right since I chuck most under 70Q), put the best in icebox and others in other shelves.  While collecting, either use a cart to hold them or dump in a pile on the ground rather than running around with them, then go back and get them indoors with the shortest carry time you can manage.  Snowballs on the ground do much better than ones in inventory for even a few minutes, even if the decay does not show immediately. 

People have been complaining about snowball decay since 2016.  See also here. Many many other threads, those are the longer ones. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

What I do with snowballs here on Xanadu:

Collect them in winter until inventory full, go to altar, drop all snowballs below ql 80 into altar, sacc them, drop snowballs ql80+ into larder icebox. After doing this 3 or 4 times the larder will be full with 100 ql80+ snowballs, average snowball ql will be ql90+. If you collect them close enough to altar/larder no snowball will have any damage.

That load of 100 ql80+ snowballs without any damage will last for 3 Wurm years. Yes, some of them will get a decay tick soon - but that's no problem. Plenty of other snowballs will get no fast decay tick.

I'll try these suggestions and see if it helps. All these snowballs were in my inventory a very short time period, literally the time it takes to walk around a small deed and collect snow to get a pile of them, then directly to larder icebox. Perhaps they accumulate hidden decay in less than 10 minutes in inventory?

17 hours ago, munster said:

they accumulate hidden decay in less than 10 minutes in inventory?

thats how it works.much like food items. you cook something and put it in larder ASAP - it will never decay (assuming you have ice), but if you keep them in your inventory for an hour or 2, they would still show no damage after, but putting such food item into larder it will start accumulating damage rapidly even with ice. So snowballs are the same principle, just way more accelerated compared to food.