Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

The Wurm Cool Wall

CtWu7Bi.png

it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it it sucks and i hate it

i wont specify any more than that because anyone with 2 brain cells can see why people hate fishing, seriously uncool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RainRain said:

i wont specify any more than that because anyone with 2 brain cells can see why people hate fishing, seriously uncool.

I cannot speak about so interesting entities with 2 brain cells. As one with in excess of 86 billion neurons and as many glia cells I can tell that among those with similiar central nervous system there is at least this one disproving such a universal proposition which suffices to render it false. (Btw. fishing 70.87, and admittedly the road towards that was not without frustration)

Once you get 60 skill and a ql 90 rod with 100+coc it's not so bad.

The low level grind was awful, most frustrating piece of content in wurm.

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I cannot speak about so interesting entities with 2 brain cells. As one with in excess of 86 billion neurons and as many glia cells I can tell that among those with similiar central nervous system there is at least this one disproving such a universal proposition which suffices to render it false. (Btw. fishing 70.87, and admittedly the road towards that was not without frustration)

To summarize my complaints:

1.Spearfishing is the only decent way to fish early game that doesnt net migraines, as you can catch salmon and catfish and its not too hard.

2. Net fishing is a waste of time unless youre just grinding, but if youre grinding just do 1.

3. You need Cloth tailoring, Ropemaking, Blacksmithing and Jewelry smithing ALL at decent levels to catch good fish.

4. Floats ###### suck to collect, other than moss. Why in god’s name is bark and twigs 1 per tile yet they only grow on specific tiles? Why can’t we craft our own floats (presumably arbitrarily making them carp and fine carp based too, because why not)

5. Line break = lose hook, float and bait. But decent quality lines are infuriatingly hard to make as they cant be imped, and creating higher end lines means you need to have good ropemaking and CT.

6. Even if you do all of the above, using a pro line isnt that much better than spearfishing UNLESS you find a special fishing tile, likely with litdeep.

7. Even if you do that- what even was the benefit to getting to this point? Catching sharks lets you make kind of big meals, and st best is useful for grinding butchering.

Needlessly complicated skill that has a million different things that need to be micromanaged, requiring 4 skills, all for having bigger fish which doesn’t actually even matter much in the end. Not even properly afkable.

Effort NEEDS a good reward.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RainRain said:

Effort NEEDS a good reward.

My best reward so far was eventually fishing a marlin of 186kg, and achieving the Expert title (The Road Less Traveled). I cannot complain. I enjoyed net fishing (save net decay) achieving skill 50 fairly smoothly in a couple of half afk sessions, and overcame some troubles with rod fishing, partially from bugs and shortcomings fixed now, partially from my own misperceptions and errors (asking others helped). In the end, fishing to 70+ was fairly relaxing, and I shall certainly go on. To say that, I never had better than a ql60+ rod, using medium reel etc. to get to 70,  professional only for the special tile.

So still COOL. And I claim to possess in excess of 2 brain cells.

Fishing used to be a good "AFK" skill; something to do while waiting around for someone and reading a book.

The new variation is much more intricate and, while more fun as a mechanic, it's really not wurm's fishing.

Goes under "uncool" for me since now my only afk skill is prayer, and no-one likes that skill.

• Like 1

Haven't fished since I caught my black shark to "win" a red cherry.

Not going to either (until I decide I really want to complete that part of my journal, then you get to hear me complain about it the entire time)

Can only rate net fishing which is cool. Easy to make net and get started, also clams.

Haven't started fishing with rod yet but i got skills to make good gear. Making lines is pain becouse using hand as tool drops down ql a lot..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Martynas5 said:

Can only rate net fishing which is cool. Easy to make net and get started, also clams.

Haven't started fishing with rod yet but i got skills to make good gear. Making lines is pain becouse using hand as tool drops down ql a lot..

I agree about net fishing. I started with that short after release of the new fishing system and easily fulfilled the old personal goal of 900 fish. The only thing wanting is the insane decay of nets, though it was ways worse initially. As to rod fishing, I stuck to medium ql reel and line, bone hooks easily available as one can make a lot from goblin skulls. Every float I tried worked well. Lines are indeed crap but so easy to make that it hardly matters. Line, hook, and float get lost sometimes at lower skill, rarely happened to me as I stuck to net fishing until I crossed skill 50, and lost one or maybe two reels up to skill 70.

I understand those who hate the new fishing or resent it due to their loss of the old system allowing complete afk activity. Personally, I despised the old system so I had no troubles with the change. There were a lot of start issues with it, and still a few things (net decay among them) should better be fixed. But all in all, it is a pleasant activity. And I have delved into ocean fishing only a bit.

So, back to the topic: Cool for some, uncool for others. Sandboxy 😎 .

Edited by Ekcin

Bee hive messages!!!   Seriously Uncool!

Bee stings are not very cool either...

• Like 2

fishing is fun, i quite enjoyed spear fishing more than most other activities, but for normal fishing the absurd ql rng in making reels/lines and needling like 5 different crafting skills isn't very cool. If you could just craft each time of fishing line and handle individually instead of having to do 5 craft actions each using a different skill it'd be less dumb. sacrificing 100 tackle boxes lagging out the server is always a laugh when the mission comes up though. Tbh it feels like you reach the end of fishing early (finding clams which have random loot) and from there on in you're just fishing to play ql slots and see if you get the biggest fish

dunno whether to go with cool or uncool since spear fishing almost makes up for the dumb crafting

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

And with that, I've decided to place new fishing....

oYxlmJY.png

I think I agree with most of all that was said. It's simply too complex and wide a system for the reward it offers. I think streamlining the system would be a big boost alone. It's placed close to cool to show how close it is to being cool.

Our next submission...

Spoiler

qJZ3dws.png

• Like 1

they're too hard to find they should add them to a pendulum or something and announce the spawns globally 651914053266178051.png?v=1

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 2

Uniques are so uncool, like there is groups of players that just keep finding them and not letting others get it. Everyone online should get a piece of scale/hide, and they should have a beam like rifts because it should be a community thing!

• Like 1

I know you are mocking 😎, but though: Uniques are cool, both ways. It is good that players who take the effort and have the ability, are able to take on uniques and get the reward. And it is subzero cool that there are players who organize funny public slayings. Imbues are cool too if not subzero.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

I have a deep appreciation for those that make unique hunts public, ( Sub zero) , and I understand , respect  why some do not. 

• Like 2