Sign in to follow this  
Madnath

The Wurm Cool Wall

Those of you familiar with Top Gear will already know what the cool wall is. For those of you unaware, read on:

The cool wall was a Top Gear staple where they'd rank cars they liked and disliked using the Cool Wall, which was just a velcro board with the designations above. And now, I'm bringing it to Wurm!

On one day, I'll post something on a submission card. You can post where you think it belongs on the board, and give reasons why if you seriously want to convince me.

The day after, I'll post where it ranks on the board.

I'll keep this going until it runs out of steam, unless it gets no steam at all and I let it sink below the rest of the threads.

For our first submission....

Spoiler

sC9WK7C.png

Cast order in this game sucks. The fact we have to dispell metallic liquid, runes or imbues to recast parts of a tool is terrible and silly and they're so often above the other things

Where do you think it places on the wall?

scsgVcv.jpeg

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 1

Without a doubt, it's seriously uncool.

W1rNfxm.png

Gonna try for something a lot more open and understandable for everyone thing time. I asked Shydow what he likes about the game, and he gave me a good answer.

Our entry for today....

Spoiler

xMGLXej.png

Post below where you think this belongs on the cool wall, and if you want, your reasonings!

• Like 1

Yesterday caused more discussion in discord than on forums, today though, sub zero without a doubt.

• Like 1

Uncool.

I'm on the edge of uncool and cool- if there as an inbetween, it'd be there.

On one hand, I love a lot of players and think a lot of people who play this game are genuinely cool- on the other hand, I often feel like I'm pulling teeth trying to get basic information across, and the community almost seems to have a culture of uproar. That, and while I love a lot of vets, I think a lot of ppl are hypocritical in how they go about the health of the game- the 'ancient vet knowledge' thing is a real thing, and the only reason I know that is sbecause I'm exposed to a whole lot of it. I don't fully blame the community for that, but I think there's a lot of bad eggs, particularly on the forums.

Ingame, most of my experiences are quite pleasant actually, though I feel like people don't communicate enough, keep to themselves and lash at others who disagree with them often. Maybe I'd rate the forum community as uncool, but the ingame one as cool.

• Like 5

No idea about "ancient vet knowledge" - I taught returning players on bridges, how to use waystones or level command. 😉 My feelings about the community are mixed, I met a lot of nice players, who are amazing but also met several total douches, who were making my gameplay miserable. And most annoying are those who deliberately block construction and other off deed initiatives and then yell "deed it or lose it". But I think it is like that in any game, so I plea "no contest". 😉 

That GM Azul needs to be in the uncool area... I mean they could be the seriously uncool. But I guess it depends.

Definitely sub zero. From the first time i logged in years ago I was impressed by the community. Many miles and deeds later I still think the community can be the best part of Wurm. 

17 hours ago, RainRain said:

the 'ancient vet knowledge' thing is a real thing

Yes, and no.  I think most of the community is actively helpful, and those who know more obviously have more to share, but we all don't know what we don't know and usually upon finding a reasonable way to achieve something we tend not to look for better ways. For example, I posted a suggestion on the forum for a way to disembark from ships directly onto dry ground.  The reason that I didn't know that such a thing was a basic and common function is that I asked a few years-old players about it and not one knew of it to mention it (I got "I just swim ashore" more than once).  That itself is cool in its own way, that after years of playing people are still learning core features of the game.

Edited by TheTrickster

And there we have it!

The community is placed at...

wX8VK23.png

For the next entry, lets decide where this is placed...

Spoiler

xEOcGeE.png

• Like 2

i vote seriously uncool for rifts because theres not enough waves it should be a full time job with dental insurance and contribute to my 401k

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 5

Rifts I would think somewhere around the middle, runes are pretty nice to have, rifts themselves are alright but the travel times are a little tedious as someone who lives on Xanadu. Plus the times of them mean I have to plan it around real life quite a lot.

On 9/6/2020 at 6:55 PM, Madnath said:

And there we have it!

The community is placed at...

wX8VK23.png

For the next entry, lets decide where this is placed...

Reveal hidden contents

xEOcGeE.png

Seriously Uncool, nothing I love more than spending a couple hours killing teleporting mobs then hearing people complain about ending early because they want to spend more time killing a warmaster for no reason. 

• Like 1

Rifts - seriously uncool

Exploits and the leftovers of exploits - seriously uncool

Stanlee and his buddies (Doing open public events) - sub zero

impalongs - cool

Priest affairs - uncool

• Like 1

Gonna have to go with Uncool for this one.

The idea is great. the rewards are cool. It gives people a reason to leave deed and something for the higher end toons to get into. My wife logs in almost exclusively for them, BUT I've never once gone to a rift and left feeling any other way than drained/exhausted and not wanting to do another for weeks. I think perhaps that they are too long/slow without much challenge in the way of interacting with them. It's pretty much just 1) have enough CR and 2) dont fight more than 2 or 3 at a time. Ironically, this involves less movement than regular old hunting, which atleast has the benefit of getting to see a beautiful landscape as you ride and perhaps stumble onto a cool new place or ruin.

• Like 2

Fine fine I'll bring it back

Rifts are...

OCzs4zG.png

Now this one is gonna be fun. Help me rate....

Spoiler

FEPzdSF.png

• Like 1

new fishing, totally seriously uncool. when the smallest fish in the game are breaking good quality medium poles constantly I would say that it is broken. Extremely Seriously Uncool.

• Like 1

After they fixed the rod damage, the new fishing system is pretty good. I don't like how often the lines break, especially at lower skill (and losing the hooks in the process), but overall, I like it. I would put it solidly in the "Cool" column

• Like 1

hmm this one is tough for me. I loved the previous system even tho it did lack some depth.  I held Tich in extremely high regard and appreciate her work tremendously.  All of that said I do not enjoy our fishing system much now. I think it has a tad bit too much depth. I will have to say "Uncool" .

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 5:39 PM, BDCKoolaid said:

Gonna have to go with Uncool for this one.

The idea is great. the rewards are cool. It gives people a reason to leave deed and something for the higher end toons to get into. My wife logs in almost exclusively for them, BUT I've never once gone to a rift and left feeling any other way than drained/exhausted and not wanting to do another for weeks. I think perhaps that they are too long/slow without much challenge in the way of interacting with them. It's pretty much just 1) have enough CR and 2) dont fight more than 2 or 3 at a time. Ironically, this involves less movement than regular old hunting, which atleast has the benefit of getting to see a beautiful landscape as you ride and perhaps stumble onto a cool new place or ruin.

This is exactly how I feel about them.

Plus the fact that there are those who simply hit and run, getting as many points as possible, instead of really contributing

• Like 1

Fishing is a hard one for me too. I love fishing in game, and I do like that it's more complex than the old system was, which I didn't do at all because it was so shallow, but I have to agree with @Chiqathat it has a bit too much depth now. It takes an act of congress to go from having no materials to actually being able to cast your line in the water. And I love the concept of the tackle boxes, but having so many categories in them and having to scroll for days while dragging an item down the list to get to my fishing rod is really tedious and off putting. Every time I stop fishing for a couple weeks, I feel like I have to "get back into it" as far as gathering baits and floats and making hooks again.

And semi-unrelated but also not is that I HATE the bug that is still unfixed to this day where if you leave a kitted out rod in a rod rack, after a day or two, it spits out it's hook, float, and bait onto the ground into a pile of items. That is so infuriating.

So TL;DR: Going with Cool on this one, but bordering on uncool mainly just because it is now somewhat too complex and has a really annoying bug.

• Like 1

Fishing, at least rod fishing, wasn't easy in the beginning, admittedly I loved the crafting from start. And fishing nets easily let me accomplish the old personal goal of 900 fish. The insane decay of nets, still not completely gone, is no fun though. But once one got the concept, fishing is definitely cool for me.

So are rifts, btw. I understand the troubles some have with, and did not participate a lot lately. But they are a nice opportunity for lower level players (say from FS30-50 on with armour >40) to take part. Maybe there are some rift point grabbers, though having been at far over 100 rifts, I never saw one, maybe because I never cared, no idea. I don't see that they took something away from me even if having few points more.

So, all troubles and complaints notwithstanding, cool for rifts from me.