Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Population Data So Far

3 minutes ago, Tomatoes said:

and how many of these new games are bug free and playable when launched? Might i remind you of the Cyberpunk fiasco? 

and that's what i mean about attacking Developers. Not one of us actually know whats going on with CCAB, the devs, or how many 'actual' players in game there are, the LEAST you could do is not blow up at them. 

You clearly didn't read. WHAT DEVS?

19 minutes ago, ThatYoungLad said:

Is that sarcasm, or you really believe devs will listen to the community and do any update or fix, quality-of-life related?

Re-read that? You maybe quoted the wrong person? I wrote nothing of the mentioned.

On 8/1/2021 at 2:48 PM, Jeston said:

Wurm 2 is what we need !

Fun thing from a long-running standpoint, this would be the best. I don't talk about a real 2.0 with a separate game (this would be easier to do but would not survive since the reliable Wurm player base is already bound in Wurm and will most likely not migrate fast enough to keep separated games running) more like Path of Exile is doing currently were they rework game code entirely, to give them self a better work environment. The speed of current development hints of a bad workflow. And if it's not the peoples fault  then its probably because they use archaic tools and program environment since some of this code is now over a decade old. And maybe a more modern approaches of some things would help to speed things up and maybe fix a few bugs along the way. But this would need a lot (compare to the current Dev count out of what feels like 2 part-timers) manpower for only this project.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Atndy said:

You clearly didn't read. WHAT DEVS?

Just cause they're not talking, it doesn't mean they are not listening. 

Part of the job is taking criticism, but if its not constructive it will hurt feelings. People can only take so much before they break.

11 hours ago, Radircs said:

Fun thing from a long-running standpoint, this would be the best. I don't talk about a real 2.0 with a separate game (this would be easier to do but would not survive since the reliable Wurm player base is already bound in Wurm and will most likely not migrate fast enough to keep separated games running) more like Path of Exile is doing currently were they rework game code entirely, to give them self a better work environment. The speed of current development hints of a bad workflow. And if it's not the peoples fault  then its probably because they use archaic tools and program environment since some of this code is now over a decade old. And maybe a more modern approaches of some things would help to speed things up and maybe fix a few bugs along the way. But this would need a lot (compare to the current Dev count out of what feels like 2 part-timers) manpower for only this project.

Part of me wonders is this is part of what's ACTUALLY happening: a complete rewrite of the code so its not a massive pile of <insert favorite word here>. And if this is the case the best thing we as players can do is be constructive about what the issues are, rather then just playing a blame game.

Edited by Tomatoes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomatoes said:

Part of me wonders is this is part of what's ACTUALLY happening: a complete rewrite of the code so its not a massive pile of <insert favorite word here>. And if this is the case the best thing we as players can do is be constructive about what the issues are, rather then just playing a blame game.

The idea has been dumpstered by devs and staff numerous times, if you're talking about a total rewrite/new version of Wurm. The chance of that happening now is highly unlikely.

• Like 2

As said above, this is never going to happen unless there's another ownership change to a group who decide to focus hard on rewriting for a solid year. 

Would really be the best thing for the game long-term, provided it's done by competent, inspired devs... so yeah, we can scratch that. 

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

The idea has been dumpstered by devs and staff numerous times, if you're talking about a total rewrite/new version of Wurm. The chance of that happening now is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, Synjor said:

As said above, this is never going to happen unless there's another ownership change to a group who decide to focus hard on rewriting for a solid year. 

Would really be the best thing for the game long-term, provided it's done by competent, inspired devs... so yeah, we can scratch that. 

Figured it was a long shot: this 'absence' of Developers doesn't seem to be 'busy with code' related in the slightest. Again the communication thing. Without their input we can only get so far.

Realistically speaking I think we've got a mix of devs working on bug fixes and new features, with just possibly rewrites/refactoring of existing code. It certainly looks like they are inexperienced and/or have a bad development environment, which is why the latter is so unlikely. So, forget about v2.0 I think

• Like 2

Jesus those numbers look sad as hell. Also I premmed an alt recently so pretty much can go -1 on the "pop increase". At this rate we'll know exactly if the pop rises if we simply ask in gchat how many people repremmed their alts. "Oh Johnny repremmed his sermon group? Alright that's NOT 5 confirmed new players guys. Relax". 

• Like 1

What cracks me up is the amount of people who "care" but talk trash about Wurm. No one has cared who reprems or plays since 2007, find another game or just play Wurm maybe? How often does anyones opinion actually make it past these posts to people who can actually do anything? Probably never, so just hold your tiny tears back   

• Like 1

At this point, most of us are just venting because that's all we realistically can do. 

• Like 1

I've said my piece really, the data shows what it shows and no amount of poorly conceived PR spin is going to change it.

I very much doubt "wurm is dying", mostly because wurm's diehards are also its whales which is what most MMORPGs live on.  However, the evidence firmly suggests wurm is a good contender for the status of "ghost town mmo".

There are flickering fires of civilisation to stumble across, and sometimes they have people active when you pass by, but these are the exception rather than the rule.  These flickering clusters are gathering, though, in various locals, as deeds and alliances wink out.  We're past "candle-light clusters" and well into "cluster collapse".

• Like 2

thats interesting. yes grant you WU went up more then WO, but they BOTH went up....

thats interesting. yes grant you WU went up more then WO, but they BOTH went up....

Percentage speaks volumes, especially comparing a game that the developers have stopped working on with one they're still continuing to make updates for.  WO has more to lose and gain if the numbers fluctuate, where as WU is less of a case since all of the money that the developer is interested in has already been given by the customer.  Servers are run by the player rather than the developer, and there's hardly anything they're spending money on with it.  WO is still doing extremely poorly.

2 hours ago, Zahnweh said:

Percentage speaks volumes, especially comparing a game that the developers have stopped working on with one they're still continuing to make updates for.  WO has more to lose and gain if the numbers fluctuate, where as WU is less of a case since all of the money that the developer is interested in has already been given by the customer.  Servers are run by the player rather than the developer, and there's hardly anything they're spending money on with it.  WO is still doing extremely poorly.

all i am saying is at least it is going up. yes other things need dealt with in order to give WO a real chance at survival, but at least its not losing people.

Well i just came back to Xanadu, with a new character of course. Losing tracks of things i did in the past, etc. I never did want to goto Northern Servers, since it was overpopulated and too crowded. I wouldnt even want to go there a year later if most of them left already. Cause the whole landmass can be wrecked and alot of mess to clean up.

Hopefully they will find a way to keep players happy, looking forward to the next Black Friday Deal in a couple months. There i can purchase another year of membership.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:21 AM, Zahnweh said:

Percentage speaks volumes, especially comparing a game that the developers have stopped working on with one they're still continuing to make updates for. 

No, it does not tell a lot, at least not for WO, which can be and is being acquired other than through steam whereas stean is the only way to get WU. I appreciate ofc that WU figures seem to trend upwards.

The figures steam is "reporting" are quite questionable and do in no way correlate well with measurable and measured participation figures. During different periods, they represented between 12 and 30 percent of the figures reported by Niarja or Etherdrifter's collection, or observables by login on my logs, or the weekly unique login reporting through MRTG. And they poorly  reflect trends.

They finally "found" WO participation via steam going up, but I am in no way sure what it means (in fact, I see WO participation staying stable, and having recovered from a slight dip mid of August).

In the past on Indy Server, i use to clean up the abandoned deeds that has few stuffs laying around, even the ground and making it more nature environment, etc. Removing roads as well, but that take some efforts doing this and not very many players do these things. I like to keep the place nice, clean and neat, just the way i am and mostly live out in the wilderness. There are alot of players like to start fresh on their own.

Sadly, they wont clean up after themselves, but if they do quit playing would be nice if they clean it up. I have seen some impedalong camps w/e that is, they make a huge mess and left it, look like a massive junkyards! I think near Haven, there were one and got tired of cleaning it up and quit playing lol. Idk, if this would make any differences if they (mostly vets and devs) clean up after the deeds been disbanded and wouldnt have to make another realm or servers. They will come and wreck it then leave, pretty simply as it is.

Edited by Sylvanas
  • Like 2

And down again 1.68% the last 30 days, with so low steam playerbase 4.9% can just be some friends testing out a free game.

Edited by Stinboi

On 9/8/2021 at 11:44 PM, Ekcin said:

No, it does not tell a lot, at least not for WO, which can be and is being acquired other than through steam whereas stean is the only way to get WU. I appreciate ofc that WU figures seem to trend upwards.

The figures steam is "reporting" are quite questionable and do in no way correlate well with measurable and measured participation figures. During different periods, they represented between 12 and 30 percent of the figures reported by Niarja or Etherdrifter's collection, or observables by login on my logs, or the weekly unique login reporting through MRTG. And they poorly  reflect trends.

They finally "found" WO participation via steam going up, but I am in no way sure what it means (in fact, I see WO participation staying stable, and having recovered from a slight dip mid of August).

WO is a monthly subscription MMO.  WU is a one time payment, and each person that is in those figures in Steam can at least be figured that they paid for that game for full price compared to WO which is not a guarantee that each person that enters the game is paying for it.  You can say that the figures in steam only show part of the full amount, but the players in WO in general are still extremely low.  It's not a good sign, and it's certainly something they should be far more concerned about than this.

Edited by Zahnweh
  • Like 1