Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Population Data So Far

Too much talk around server merging, we need to talk about server splits.  I propose we disconnect celebration, no one cool lives there anyways 

I support more servers. They split the community, yes, but we dont care because 90% of the population wants to be left alone in their deeds, doing the 500th grind of the year without a neighbour making a huge terraforming proyect next to them. We all know of conflicts between players due to territorial issues and there is no benefit to us all to force people to live together, or even close to each other.

Do you want to see Wurmians together, cooperating? ask for changing to promote village life, maybe give villagers a discount on premium time, or upkeep, I dont know, or create new events that require actual (and voluntarily) cooperation to achieve a goal and a reward, like Rifts but different. Humans will always prefer to act as a group if theres a common goal, that is basic Psychology.

Also, creating new servers will provoke comeback of many players who wish to find their dream deed in a coastal area, or make a new village on virgin soil, or just more space to fulfill their misantrophic, asocial/antisocial fantasies. All motives are equally benefitial because they give devs more money to keep working on this proyect, and that will benefit us all.

TLDR: stop pretending you actually want to see people in local just to complain right after because someone chopped the last oak tree, look at what worked in the past and repeat it. If this game has survived for so long, maybe creating a lot of servers wasnt a bad idea after all.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Archaed said:

Too much talk around server merging, we need to talk about server splits.  I propose we disconnect celebration, no one cool lives there anyways 

Fracture the world, send epic hurtling off into space

New isolated server cluster in the work and out as soon possible, then?

Just take 4 of the 2k servers on freedom, combine them into a single 4k server. Now you have 3 less servers and nobody loses anything. Easy.

CEtqzB9.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Just take 4 of the 2k servers on freedom, combine them into a single 4k server. Now you have 3 less servers and nobody loses anything. Easy.

Also Epic home servers on Chaos:

Zmd6c4G.jpg

15 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Would actually be awesome if it were possible, bridges between them, can see one from the coast of the other etc.

Losing 8 uniques and 10 rifts every month. What exactly is the advantage?

Edit: Ok, less stress for the GM due to less server crossings. Is it worth it?

Edited by Ekcin

20 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Losing 8 uniques and 10 rifts every month. What exactly is the advantage?

Edit: Ok, less stress for the GM due to less server crossings. Is it worth it?

No rifts or uniques have to be lost. 4 rifts can spawn on the same server, why is this not done now? Also uniques. Set map areas for 4 islands to spawn on the same server. Issue solved. 

Maybe I just don't put enough effort in, I can barely make it to rifts on my own server let alone other ones in the cluster.

If anything having the maps grouped up with no border and potentially bridges to travel between would make it easier to attend other rifts.

But either way I have a feeling there probably significant technical requirements to make this work so its not really practical anyway.

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

CEtqzB9.png

We miss you.

20 minutes ago, HawkHawk said:

But either way I have a feeling there probably significant technical requirements to make this work so its not really practical anyway.

It's entirely impractical. The amount of technical engineering to make it happen is immense. You would need to merge several different databases with multiple tables having conflicting ID's for items, creatures, tiles, etc. All of them would need to be changed to avoid any conflicts. Then any references to those ID's would need to be updated to those new ID's. This is just the first technical issue that comes to mind and it's already immense. Actual development of such a system would take a lot of time, thought, and would likely come out with bugs that could cause devastating issues to players.

Instead of forcing players to take a boat, an alternative option to allow teleportation from landmark to landmark cross-server would be more intuitive. If every home town had a cross-server teleporter that allowed players to take their vehicle (wagon, cart) with them, then it'd create far less stress on the player base. Because let's face it, getting on a boat to travel for an hour to get to an event on another server isn't fun. It's tedious. It's sacrificing good gameplay for the sake of realism.

• Like 1

Can a player be a citizen of different deeds on different servers?

If yes, then we have a problem that isn't going to be solved at all easily.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Can a player be a citizen of different deeds on different servers?

Yes... so yep, this wouldn't be at all easy to implement either.

I'm -1 on physically combining servers because it's a waste of effort because of how difficult it is. As above, I'd rather see better travel options added instead to make cross-server travel easier.

Edited by Docterchese
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elentari said:

No rifts or uniques have to be lost. 4 rifts can spawn on the same server, why is this not done now? Also uniques. Set map areas for 4 islands to spawn on the same server. Issue solved. 

It would require even more programming to make that happen let alone ironing out the bugs. Still I fail to see the benefit.

33 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Instead of forcing players to take a boat, an alternative option to allow teleportation from landmark to landmark cross-server would be more intuitive. If every home town had a cross-server teleporter that allowed players to take their vehicle (wagon, cart) with them, then it'd create far less stress on the player base. Because let's face it, getting on a boat to travel for an hour to get to an event on another server isn't fun. It's tedious. It's sacrificing good gameplay for the sake of realism.

It is not about realism, in fact, all boats are far too fast for the laws of physics (would love them faster though, or at least light breeze gone or nearly gone). And ok, sacrificing gameplay .. Every time you need to move you sacrifice gameplay if you choose to see it so. Personally I find teleporting lame and destroying part of game experience, but for convenience I of course use it.

Actually, a longer ride over the server, and not from my G13 to Newspring, is far longer riding time than crossing servers. On contrary, I use server hopping to shorten long sailing on Xanadu, also taking the advantage that the small servers have 4x smaller grids. Half of that advantage would be destroyed when the smallest servers were Indy size.

Edited by Ekcin

Lets just destroy every server and start from  0 .

You have 2 servers at same size as Xan and 1 Inde size and 2  Release size , if thats to big make a poll on size and amount .

You get a large box that can carry only so many items that you can bring from old server when you get to new game servers .

You go over with the character you want at full skills he had on main .

Only premium characters can transfer over , you have 6 months to do before offer is gone for good .

Characters must be 6 months old to transfer from original servers , other then that people will abuse many characters to bring items over.

I know this sounds crazy but it was done for a old rpg called Horizon and worked .

26 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Lets just destroy every server and start from  0 .

You have 2 servers at same size as Xan and 1 Inde size and 2  Release size , if thats to big make a poll on size and amount .

You get a large box that can carry only so many items that you can bring from old server when you get to new game servers .

You go over with the character you want at full skills he had on main .

Only premium characters can transfer over , you have 6 months to do before offer is gone for good .

Characters must be 6 months old to transfer from original servers , other then that people will abuse many characters to bring items over.

I know this sounds crazy but it was done for a old rpg called Horizon and worked .

Let's just eliminate 99% of our player base, it'll work guys! 

when the basis of wurm is that what you build matters, and what you do has an impact on the world, wipes and resets ruin that. 

Epic had a ton of issues, and I'm not placing them at the foot of one action, but after the first reset it never recovered, because it turns out, people in wurm put in hours, days, and months of work because they know it will last. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Archaed said:

Erm you did that when you removed rmt 😂

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Archaed said:

I mean...  What do you think the steam release did to the old cluster?

2 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I mean...  What do you think the steam release did to the old cluster?

It removed at worst 10-15%, rather 5-<10%, of the playerbase for a while, if that much, and later, SFI population increased well above pre steam figures, so no net loss. On the long range, SFI profited at least somewhat. We have players in the area which came through steam and stayed.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Archaed said:

when the basis of wurm is that what you build matters, and what you do has an impact on the world, wipes and resets ruin that. 

Epic had a ton of issues, and I'm not placing them at the foot of one action, but after the first reset it never recovered, because it turns out, people in wurm put in hours, days, and months of work because they know it will last. 

If you made a poll and asked players if they would be against starting over fresh for terrain , yet keeping same skilled character would they ?

I say 65 % would be willing .

How many players have more then one deed  ? 

It is because players i have noticed who play wurm love the building aspect and terraforming .

You sure do love to hyperbole  stats .

Also getting there upkeep back at full that includes founding how many would .

But its true stop of RMT  removed a good 45% of player base .

Also as for steam read there reviews and see what people think , game is not up there in standings , allot has to do with some people in power , but that's another story .

9 hours ago, Damascus said:

But its true stop of RMT  removed a good 45% of player base .

Did it? 

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

game has more players now than pre-RMT, so I find that argument flawed. 

• Like 3

Why the unique IP count is hidden then, if so confident to talk about more or less players

On 8/25/2022 at 10:45 PM, Sindusk said:

CEtqzB9.png

Looks so weird.

On 8/26/2022 at 1:50 AM, Archaed said:

Now imagine reset on freedom where stuff is much harder to do. You could give players some sort of compensation (e.g.all their possesions, the stuff on their deeds and mats to build again) but this won't account for the terraforming, tunnels, orchads, hwys, guard towers, etc.etc.

Not to mention you start getting attached to those places and it feeld bad when they are gone. At least that's how I am.

20 hours ago, Damascus said:

Also as for steam read there reviews and see what people think , game is not up there in standings , allot has to do with some people in power , but that's another story .

I would say the market does not offer a good alternative to Wurm. But LiF was one such alternative - better graphics/combat etc. It had a playerbase of a few K players and in the end it shut down. Which makes me think this niche Wurm is intended for is very small.

If I look at sandbox games like Ark or Rust they have 10s of Ks of players.

Maybe Wurm is too much long-term for people. It's more like a hobby than a game. Or maybe it isn't known that much.

There is also the fact that players caught up with other games, while they might find the game interesting, they won't use their gaming time for it.

Edited by Idlamn

Dont think Wurm has lost many players but there has been no player increase either and that was worriesome, mainly becouse of the steam release, of all the thousend of new players arriving they didnt manage to keep any.

Leaving us with more land and the same playerbase makes the world seems more empty then ever before. on the  financial side i guess steam release was a success, but for us players it was a totally dissaster.

This discuission has came up so many times the last few years proves that the current playerbase isnt happy.