Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Population Data So Far

Hmmm keep in mind @Etherdrifter that a potential variable in RL is people playing less due to Covid reasons. 

In my country at least vaccinations rollouts mean more people stop working from home and have to be on site in the office/workplace. Means less overall playtime available now. I think spring in general was always Wurm's pop lowpoint if we compare it to past years. Summer time gained some more players with the most playing in the fall-winter periods. 

14 minutes ago, elentari said:

Hmmm keep in mind @Etherdrifter that a potential variable in RL is people playing less due to Covid reasons. 

In my country at least vaccinations rollouts mean more people stop working from home and have to be on site in the office/workplace. Means less overall playtime available now. I think spring in general was always Wurm's pop lowpoint if we compare it to past years. Summer time gained some more players with the most playing in the fall-winter periods. 

its been a trend going on for few month now, so yes this may be some of the reason but dont think thats the main issue.

SFI has just felt completly dead lately, even worst then before the steam release.

with the selection and easy access you have to games today, compared to 20 years ago its easier to just find something new.

todays players will expect a game like wurm to develop, but thats not happening atm.

4 hours ago, Stinboi said:

SFI has just felt completly dead lately, even worst then before the steam release.

Hmm.....For some reason though the village that I am in on Release, is getting a mass influx of new users joining it.  Came on the other day and there was 13 other accounts online in the village. Which is more then it has ever been since I joined the village near 2 years ago lol hmm....

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:54 PM, Sklo:D said:

no he sold out like a year ago

Who is the proud owner of Wurm Online now then?

On 5/5/2021 at 12:59 PM, Elwood2 said:

i am actualy not sure i should continue to play, after 15+ years , my enjoyment of the game reach a dead end...

there is a long list  of reasons i stopped logging in a month ago.
whatever the reasons, good going wurm.

Isn't Hilfe your priest, and is logging on daily?

On 5/5/2021 at 7:59 PM, Elwood2 said:

i am actualy not sure i should continue to play, after 15+ years , my enjoyment of the game reach a dead end...

there is a long list  of reasons i stopped logging in a month ago.
whatever the reasons, good going wurm.

reasons are important.. especially if they aren't personal and it's something coming from the game

8 years in my (deli) upkeep, the memory of codeclub saying they will Never connect the old clusters to the new and a happy new life in WU means, im just a spectator now.
But i feel yer pain

Edited by Steveleeb

2 hours ago, Steveleeb said:

8 years in my (deli) upkeep, the memory of codeclub saying they will Never connect the old clusters to the new and a happy new life in WU means, im just a spectator now.
But i feel yer pain

They have never said they wont connect sfi and nfi, nothing confirmed yet

• Like 1

I'm very certain i've been told it in a PM with a certain past staff member.
tho I've no desire to look through the log.
Of course, i've never given it much credence they've lied before.
Im just saying, it's what i was told by, an official.. shortly before or after the steam launch.
and there it is

I had assumed it depended on the success of, the steam launch and approached this staff member to quiz them.
My emotional recollection is pristine on the matter. This supports my mental memory.
I was also told by a veteran super-active player (who was told by the same, staff member) that;
`They say that there is no plans and there never will be and have been pretty adamant on that fact. i don't know what will happen, but i think in desperation they may change their minds`
I'm not gonna drop her name either. (sf)

Still, we live in hope, we also live in hope for a WU content/engine update which the official had also told me.. will never, happen.
(aside from a few optimisations, keybinds and pulling off the beta tag )
We'll see won't we.

You should maybe study your own point of contention a little harder before comitting to discourse, boi.

Edited by Steveleeb

Pretty sure the only thing that was ever said was it wasn't in a rush to connect them. 🤷

• Like 3

On 10/7/2020 at 10:28 PM, Samool said:

Since the questions about the status of the Northern and Southern Freedom Isles clusters keep appearing, we do want to reiterate that at this point we do not plan on a merge, and it will be a long time before we will start considering one (it is not guaranteed in any case). We’re happy with how both of the clusters are working out and there seems to be a healthy population on both of them.

playerbase is getting smaller and smaller on both so maybe its time to consider it :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:
On 10/8/2020 at 4:28 AM, Samool said:

Since the questions about the status of the Northern and Southern Freedom Isles clusters keep appearing, we do want to reiterate that at this point we do not plan on a merge, and it will be a long time before we will start considering one (it is not guaranteed in any case). We’re happy with how both of the clusters are working out and there seems to be a healthy population on both of them.

Esnl2Gh.jpg?1

That graph is just ouch, they said that they were happy with both clusters and that the population was healthy on both pretty much just around the time said population went off the cliff, and it's still on it's way to pre-steam levels. I wonder if they'd still define it as healthy these days.

Edited by Ecrir

4 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Esnl2Gh.jpg?1

"Logins" - I wonder if that's login attempts, or actual logins.  No way nearly 7000 people are logging into wurm per day (that's rather why I started logging population, since the Devs pulled the plug on the premium account count because it was looking too low).

12 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

"Logins" - I wonder if that's login attempts, or actual logins.  No way nearly 7000 people are logging into wurm per day (that's rather why I started logging population, since the Devs pulled the plug on the premium account count because it was looking too low).

It's possible they use the word "login" because they cannot say "players" since many (most?) might be alts. I can see 7k logins, since the 200-400 population count would rotate throughout the day (not everyone stays logged in 24/7).

This is the unique daily login statistics provided by MRTG, to be found here: https://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/weeklylogins.html   .

7000 logins in 24 hours on 16 servers is in no way astonishing.

Btw. GC reported over 6k paying accounts end of the year so there is nothing astonishing or extraordinary in them, about 3 times the figure at the time when the premium account count was discontinued. The initial rush on steam released of course comprises mostly of f2p logins. And "unique logins" means accounts which logged in in the period. I am logging in up to 10 times a day, that does not make 10 logins, sensibly.

Strange that it is so hard to figure that not everyone plays for many hours, much less for 24 hours a day.

Besides that, my publishing of the graph referred to Steveleeb's Samool quote about a healthy population August 10, 2020 . That has nothing to do with these derailing attempts.

Edited by Ekcin

11 hours ago, Ekcin said:

7000 logins in 24 hours on 16 servers is in no way astonishing.

That graph shows unique active accounts per week. Currently at 5099 and decreasing. Which means that since last week on thursday 5099 accounts have logged in at least once.

Edited by Sklo:D

4 hours ago, Sklo:D said:

That graph shows unique active accounts per week. Currently at 5099 and decreasing. Which means that since last week on thursday 5099 accounts have logged in at least once.

That seems a bit more reasonable!

32 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

That seems a bit more reasonable!

Which means a lot less than 5099 unique logins per day.

• Like 1

The assertion that 7k users could not login in Wurm is wrong anyway. During the first weeks of steam launch, there were significantly over 2500 users logged in at a time. To deny that this spells more than 7k users logging into Wurm on single days sounds wierd.

A more solid impression about the development of participation in Wurm was given by Etherdrifter himself in September 2019

As we can see. the login data show maxima below 1200 users logged in even during the maxima of 2014. Just as an aside: Based on these data, Etherdrifter predicted (wrote he had a model for) that Wurm participation would drop below 200 (not some strange average of downtime and max for South Freedom only).

Here now my observations from my login data (figures "totally in Wurm"). . Mind that the minima can be misleading, e.g. when I logged on just after reboot. Instead of averages (I discussed the problems of such computations) I took the median of all logins in the period (in case of odd number of logins per month just the figure "in the middle", else the integer rounded average of the two data next to "the middle").

qTvRyYO.png

The data, not astonishingly, confirm the decline in participation since the steam launch. But they also show that we are still far above every participation during the last 3.5 , and most probably the last 5 years. Also, one can see that the population recovered from the sad developments of 2019 to some extent during the months before the steam launch already.

The problem is and was the high churn rate. If emptyness were the major problem. the NFI servers should fare ways better than SFI. In fact, they do not, rather tended to bleed users faster during the last half year.

Oh Ekcin, I'm so glad you've not changed!

7500 players logging in per day AT THE MOMENT definitely sounds suspicious; and we've already debunked it.

In terms of the old cluster, my prediction has definitely been upheld, but in terms of overall population?  Definitely not so far.

Of course, if we're talking population and not player count, lets talk about people with more than 3 toons logged in at the same time!  I've simply not got enough data to screen out alts, the only thing I have is personal observations that the, on average, players now have more than one toon online at the same time (we're not even going to talk about people who play on both clusters at once...).

I'll leave my point there and let the data continue to speak for itself - so far it's not looking too bad for May, but I may be wrong!