Sign in to follow this  
Etherdrifter

Population Data So Far

9 hours ago, elentari said:

Wonder if the pandemic is also a variable. Lots of people lost their jobs or had to reprioritize their spending and not everyone has money to sink in videogames at the moment.

Gaming itself has massively taken off during the pandemic, so the overall effect seems to be more spending on gaming, not less.

9 hours ago, elentari said:

But the situation seems to be following familiar patterns. Hope the devs figure out they need to spruce up some new content to keep people engaged or maybe hold a poll or community discussion to make Wurm more engaging.

Perhaps  2-3 seasonal servers with specific functions? 

1. A challenge type pvp server with 50x skillgain, no LOOT drops and just plain old slaughter  & capture some areas on a small 4x4 map. 

2. PVE zombie survival? Zombies will actively seek to bash down walls, have to survive waves of them assaulting your deed/fortress, something like that.

Dunno, spitballing some ideas to get some new content. 

New content would likely help. First part of last year was really busy with a lot of large updates, the last 6 months feel like a disappointment in comparison (at least to me).

Seasonal servers, like Jackal with a scenario which lasts a certain amount of time and then ends? I think that's the best way to do new servers as you effectively don't increase the amount of permanent servers that way. Perhaps it's time for a rerun of jackal, or indeed something like a zombie survival where they come out at night to mess you and your home up, while during the day it's relatively safe? Throw in the occasional zombified legendary, etc? Sounds like a fun way to get some diversity into the game

Edited by Ecrir

I ran a town that had recruited about 140 people.  It has 4 active players now, I don't play anymore either.  Just came on here to see the latest update and found out it was a combat update.  Why?

No one I know complained that combat was too shallow.  That's because the majority of players don't really care about combat.  They are into the crafting/sim side of the game. The direction being taken by the devs over the years is the real reason this pop can't hold.  They just don't care what keeps people here, in order to keep true to their vision of what they want the game to be.  That's okay.  Nothing wrong with that.  We just need to stop having these discussions about player retention, it goes no where.  They aren't going to suddenly care. 

Just for the sake of discussion, I will give my perspective as large town manager and what I saw of players leaving/coming:

1. Big disparity in play time.  You can't just play this game for an hour, and log off feeling accomplished (this is perspective from many players who quit).  They just felt like they couldn't keep up and it wasn't enjoyable to play for small amounts of time.  There's usually always a guy in your town who literally does everything better than everyone else who's always on and there's simply no reason to have more than one of any craft.  There's just not enough things to make, and he can start all the construction himself and do it faster.  Really what this game needed was a cap on how much skill you could gain in a day to allow those without much time to keep up.

2. If they didn't quit immediately, they instead tried to "go on their own" and start their own town.  This didn't last.  The game doesn't do a good job of bring people together, to work towards common goals.  Too much of the game revolves around doing the same action over and over, often afk'ish and this results in players not really interacting but instead just grinding.  A sense of community doesn't really develop for those who do not have a lot of play time, meanwhile the 24/7 grinders all become friends.

3. Lack of content.  A good majority of them simply just burned through the content.  By 30 in any skill, you have access to 80% of the content.  For example blacksmithing, there's really nothing to grind for other than higher QL numbers, which with the lack of statistics/information dumps you can't really tell how it's affecting you (there's no attack damage/armor stat, sorry).  QL doesn't give the impression of content to players. 

4. The chores set in.  Once the novelty wears off, there's a lot of chores to do in this game. 

5. Old archaic things that the vets think are cool are not what the new players think are cool (I.E. no map location just as an example).  I lost a bunch of new players who had just started the game, wandered off from town to explore never to find their way back again and didn't log back on.  Or they die, spend hours trying to find their corpse (once again no map marker, or highlights showing loot on ground) and give up and log off never to log back on again.

These are just various complaints I heard a lot of consistently.

Edited by sweatygopher
  • Like 5

Kinda agree on all those points, the sad part is that all of them could be fixed in a years time if we reallly wanted to go in that direction.

1. Lack of community goals...yep...definitely. We as a community don't really have goals. We kinda have rifts but people participate in those out of selfish reasons not selfless reasons (journal goal + rift mats). Uniques are another thing about selfish reasons, we all want hide/scale. We have some impalongs but those are all player created with some GM assistance and interaction along the way. Other than that, no true content to bind us towards a common goal. Last time I remember the community working together was a semi-cooperation to help each other complete our personal goals before they got removed. 

2. Yeah this game is maintenance crazy. In order to reduce it you'd have to either make an alt on path of love to enchant grass so your horses don't starve or pay someone to enchant your grass. Other than that , a deed itself can protect most things. But paying silvers is a form of maintenance. Other than that, smaller deeds are always more manageable. Big deeds will be a headache to maintain. 

3. Lack of content. As a vet I agree. The same content you get at 50 skill you get at 90 skill in most things. The numbers change. The experience doesn't. Players realise it's just the grind and they quit. We need to change the game so content reflects skill gained.

Example. At 90 Weaponsmithing you unlock the ability to : Apply a 72 hour buff to a weapon , for example 25% more damage (or 25% more parry rate?) to a longsword. It would have a 7 day cooldown. Esentially it unlocks a perk.

I would totally support skill perks you can choose as active buffs. Another example : Carpentry. At 70 carp you can unlock "Plankmaster" = 30 min buff where you have 50% faster plank creation timer. Cooldown 72 hours. 

Only one buff would be active but it would give the game MUCH more depth in terms of skillgained. You'd be able to use buffs for various things but only 1 buff could be active per skill at a time. This would give variation and a true RPG sense of the game since WUrm does market itself as an MMORPG. 

4. I agree. The archaic things need to go. We have em for 10 years. Let's ###### face it. They sucked. Not having interactive maps is a gimmick that doesn't work anymore. Don't give me any of that "muh immersion" ######. Remember how FUN it was in 2013 to not have maps and instead we had to go to online sources to create our own maps based on other player created maps? It was...stupid. Any game that forces you to link to 50 different external resources in order to play it and enjoy it needs to have that crap fixed. Hell keep the archaic things if you want immersion as a "settings toggle". "Toggle interactive maps. Yes or NO". Don't want em? Fine. 

LET THE CUSTOMER / PLAYER DECIDE. It's not hard to give players options to configure their own playstyle. As a former Epic vet, I often had to guide players to their own corpses because the map didn't help 90% of the time. I didn't mind it, I enjoyed talking to people while we hunted for a body. But it sucked that you had to rely on others to recover your corpse from the troll infested forest. 

Wurm can be so much more, depth wise if we really wanted to. It is indeed not that much engaging and sadly one of the core issues is its design. 

It really needs to be faster. Guys come on we can't expect people to literally pour years of their lives into this game. It's not sane. Timers need to be faster, the grind needs to be made more bearable. 

If we refuse to do this, don't wonder why people keep leaving. And for what? The "but muh market crowd?" Yeah I'm sure those 200 people will keep the game afloat for years. But that's about it. Keep it afloat, nothing more. 

What else? "But i invested so much time in this game, It's not fair someone should invest only 90 hours of their entire life to grind wep smithing to 90 when I invested 400 hours. It's not fair!" I grinded wep smithing to 90. I don't wish that on anyone.

Or do we want people to waste their time as much as we did ours? 

Dunno, the game needs to change. Maybe I got older and sort of got into the mentality that "if i pay for a game, it also needs to respect my time too".  Might be an aging bias. But I can see how this game seems to have so many barriers to new people at this stage. 

Edited by elentari
  • Like 4

ERhRJYG.png

It's getting fairly difficult to see recent developments with high accuracy due to the the duration of the graph, so here's one that starts in March.

n7LWH9g.png

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sindusk said:

ERhRJYG.png

It's getting fairly difficult to see recent developments with high accuracy due to the the duration of the graph, so here's one that starts in March.

n7LWH9g.png

I think they call that upper graph either a landslide down a hill or a plane diving into a runway.

1 hour ago, puncher said:

or a plane diving into a runway.

More like a plane crash

• Like 1

Getting some pre-steam release vibes here.

We need some major content to keep players engaged. We don't really have diversity in that. The grind is the same for most skills.

We need stuff to do that isn't a grind, stuff that's fun (and fast paced maybe?) and engaging. Waiting on timers not sure if people are really into that.

• Like 2

The devs are in the right direction with the upcoming changes to enhance the new player experience, but it is way overdue. Changes like the straw bed and donkey will help retain new players to the game.

Maybe keep at these changes and release into Epic Games Store, coming in the market a bit more prepared than the Steam release?

Edited by Nukacola

44 minutes ago, Nukacola said:

Maybe keep at these changes and release into Epic Games Store, coming in the market a bit more prepared than the Steam release?

is that a joke?

2-3k players daily is all this game ever needed, anything more and its get lame anyway like bigger mmos always do

15 hours ago, Votip said:

is that a joke?

Lol, that`s just sad

Alright, vets aka boomers had their words, now its time for a newbie in diapers to speak up.

Jokes aside, I think everybody made very valid points, I feel reflected in some of them related to the sub model and grinding and as a young player both in real life and in game I want to say my opinion and add to this debate that is to filled with people with too much experience in Wurm.

Context: I joined the game like 2 years ands half ago, played on "seasons" of consecutive 2-4 months then quitted for a couple more. Only achieved 1 high skill (90 farming) and always lived in settlements and villages feeling like a leech and dreaming about my own deed, which, sadly, never happened. I always worked for silver to pay premium since Im a university (college for my american friends) student without a job or means to pay the monthly 8 euros (which i wont explain because its an exceptional situation, I just cant put money in internet no matter if i want or have the real money). This led me to endless hours of watching bars filling and finally quitting the game. Ive played both in SFI (95%) and NFI for a week lol (5%). I think I can still consider myself in veteran terms as a new player, hence I want to point out some major flaws that explain my quits, and might also explain why others quit or just log in for the first time then quit 20 minutes ago:

-Time. You do nothing in 1 hour, everything takes some time and when you have chores like animals, crops, whatever, when you see the clock you have spent so much time watching bars and doing a couple things . Many, many but really, MANY days I logged off at night feeling like I wasnt playing a game and without having fun at all, but feeling like I was working and grinding for... some digits? Some veterans now will say "take less chores, you can choose them, i had it tiring and difficult so its unfair now you have it easier, hurr durr muh weapon smithing 90, hurr durr". If everybody had this mindset, no inventions had happened in human history, nobody would amass money as heritage for their kids, etc. Quite selfish imo. Antiprogresive (dont get political by this word plz). Devs should do something about this and as mentioned several times before, by increasing timers and learning curve it can be changed. A slightly faster game would be better for the actual market and might attract and retain more players.

-Grind. 2 years ago when I decided to pay my premium from veggies and forced myself to rake fields for 3 hours on average, every day during July and August, I realised as mentioned in the previous segment I had no fun at all, but, I also saw something else: to bear the grind and preserve my mental health I did as most people and watched vids, or played browser games during the long grinding hours grinding farming, raking my personal out-deed 1k tiles farm, or making bricks/planks/nails/clay/sailing. At the end of the day, I said to myself "geez, Im playing a game that forces me to be mostly outsid eof it rather than inside, there must be something wrong with it if it cant keep my atention system fixed on it". Nobody likes watching bars filled, specially when you are mining 5k rock shards to, after, make into 5k bricks for the premium. And after doing that, you keep grinding because raising a skill requires several actions. You just cant bear it at all, very few people can actually find joy on that. Whats the point of a eternal grinding game which you dont pay atention at all, instead you watch tv or youtube or play minigames in armorgames.com?? Maybe we should change the action bars and constant action by minigames related to the ability, and having parameters like speed of completion, ql of item, enchant, etc dictate how much skill experience you earn at the end. In this way you would be most of the time paying atention at the game instead of pressing a binded key.

-Price. Actually, Wurm is pretty endless and super expansive and immersive, but you need to do a herculean effort for it which feel 10s a month/8 euros like giving an arm and a leg for the game. Too expensive. Its like paying 500 euros for a chicken egg which you need to take care until it hatches, then feed the chick, nurture it until times passes and it grows into an adult, to finally kill it and have your chicken breasts. Like, come on. Im paying for a working simulator. If I have to create the content, at least dont charge me so much money, maybe less or just go free to play for premium and charge me actual decent amount of money for a deed, skins, etc. And I want to also talk about the money, we all know even myself, a noob, that this beautiful game has a very crippling population and everybody hates playing ina  ghost town. I dont want having 500 people in local messing with my veggies and killing all the critters, but if the game is dying why keep charging for it? Albion Online went for f2p model with an option to pay with rl money or silver/gold coins for premium, and its population sky rocketed to the point I couldnt move my char in towns like Lymhurst cause of the lag LOL. I dont want to pay for a game with barely any content because the content creators, aka the players are scarse and dispersed. Devs need money and its reasonable but it can be earned from other ways, like increasing deed upkeep x3, making a "season pass" with free and paid levels you complete by actions like killing players (hence making people going pvp, tho it can be rigged), chopping 300 trees, killing 600 critters, being in the 10 ranking in a rift 4 times, etc. And its rewards might be premium time, free months of upkeep, nicely designed skins, special statues, the locked ability for thsoe who complete to make unique items like taverns, unique colossus, unique bridges, having unique animals like pegasus (or animal skins), etc.

By going premium would help us, freemium lads, to actually not feeling like at work, enjoy the game and do bulk stuff which help the paying players to create content for everybody, while showing respect for our time.

-Lack of competition. Now many of you will disagree and hate me for this, maybe its a different mindset because of age. Im aware the average player is not young, but mature-old. From my experience, I would say the average Wurmian its in their mid 40s, and Im a kiddo from 1998 who was born in the time of instant gratification, pvp, griefing and online toxicity, but whats the point of building a deed, raising skills, having a drake hide armour if you dont risk it? Yeah, Epic, I know. If I feel lonely in Newspring i cant imagine how bad I would feel in Epic so no thanks. But even without actual pvp and losing your structures in a Rust-style, wheres joy? just earning digits and building your site? what next? brag in Global-Freedom about your recent 0,00000001 experience point in digging? f*** off. Theres no euphoria at all except when you self impose a goal like reaching 90 skill in a couple months, you grind after grind, there are no battles aside from slaying (which are BS since only a few players actually fight the monster, while the rest looks) and Rifts. And rifts... well... moon metal and journal and thats it. There is no dopamine in the long run, just more grind and man it gets very tiring and old, you get to a point you want somethign else, you want to experience and feel something else inside the game. I dont want to feel "fun" playing other games as a break from Wurm, I actually want to feel fun inside of Wurm. Level points are good, unlocking being able to make a wagon is good, building your dream deed is better. But at some point it feels empty and pointless, hence, you quit.

TLDR: Noob player cries about being bored of watching bars, grinding for a digit eternally and worrying about not spending enough time to cover the monthly expenses, feels like in a factory job instead of a game. He also cries like a baby about not being able to compete and defeat others and feeling special like a snowflake. Downvote and report him, gg wp.

(Since 2 years ago I miss this game but I cant get myself to enjoy it in its current state Im afraid, and Ive been day dreaming and hard craving and missing it. Yo devs, for once, stop your stu*** agenda and listen to the players and do what they want, Wurm´s too unique for getting deleted).

A young lad.

• Like 1

Wurm has to be more interesting then what is going on around the person.

I have been finding myself not playing wurm as much since it is getting more sunny. The outside world is calling me. 

I don't really want to be stuck at my computer desk hitting the mouse button over and over to create stone bricks and mortar to build my castle.  All the while I am also having to watch youtube videos to make it less of a chore.

Wurm is slow.  slow slow slow and I lose interest in what is going on.  After all, there is only so many times I can watch my character perform a digging animation or a mining animation...etc before I start to tune out.

More interactivity.  Bit faster timers.  More minigames. More items to create stuff with. More special events or maybe even "Gasp" quests with rewards that are not just karma and some sleep bonus.  please.

I agree with those points since I had a similar experience to "logging in just to see some digital bars growing higher". It's actually more and more difficult for me to get back into wurm every "quitting cycle" because the content is the same. If I log back in the grind is the same. After grinding about 20 skills to 90, I do not look forward to grind even more to 90 since I 100% know it will be the same soul sucking experience.

It's not conducive to psychological health as a human being to have such slow progress in every layer of the game.

Personally I think we should declare the old "Wurm experiment with snail like progress" to be ended. We tried it and we see year after year how the game is less competitive, is declining in population and simply put it's not fun anymore. Was it something new 15 years ago?

Yes.

Can the current Wurm game design survive the next 10 years? 5 years? I don't think so. Not at this projected player decline.

For me the fun used to be in meeting a lot of strangers that "created content, new experiences and fun memories" but that happens rarely these days. I don't know if vets simply have become less social, less talkative, but 99% of the time my local tab is pretty empty when I roam the map. This leads to fewer player created content = a lower quality game experience.

I do think Wurm's actions and skillgain should be sped up. And no, not by a measly 5% or 10% but by at least 30-40%. If nothing happens , well Wurm will remain in its pretty niche, but nothing more than that. It will be forever a niche game with a low population. And that's a best case scenario. The worst case we all know what it implies.

At this point I see no harm in experimenting. Up the skillgain by 30-40%  on NFI for example and see what happens. You might get some good results.

I do know there's a voice inside every wurmian's head that says "Hmmm , it will take me about 50 RL hours to do this skill to 80. Or build this deed as I want it. Or finish this journal goal. Or X project." That voice always does a cost-benefit analysis in our heads that often times lead us to quitting the game for a while or not wanting to keep going. We all have it. We often ignore it. The reality is, it's pretty hard to justify all those hours since we all know that numberat the end is nothing more than an arbitrary consequence of coding a certain skilling system that can always be changed to be ... faster.

As for expenses, yes I do find it pretty expensive on a yearly basis, even if I have a job. For the price of a yearly subscription + deed upkeep + some silvers for the ocassional in game expenses (trading) I find that I can buy at least 20 other games and have some change at the end. It's very difficult for a game like Wurm to attract a larger audience of free to play players when the cost is so high and let's face it, we need new blood in the game. We need a new monetization model that makes f2p feasible to play as hundreds if not thousand of f2p accounts would add so much content and quality to the game.

Tl;DR : Make the game faster, add some more content besides "the grind", make f2p feasible and change the monetization model.

Edited by elentari
  • Like 2

Tl;DR : Make the game faster, add some more content besides "the grind", make f2p feasible and change the monetization model.

Hm. Four different topics, 1. faster skill gain, 2. more content , 3. extend f2p, 4. make game "cheaper"

In short, 1 partially no , two yes, three yes, four no.

1 As to "make game faster": What will be the effect? I already played a game with "only" 65 skills to max, and maxed them all, which was possible, different from maxing out even a significant number of Wurm skills. Nevertheless there were a lot of complaints about the grind. And there will always be unless you water down the grind to WoW or GW2 levels which will certainly kill Wurm. Several negative consequences of a "faster skill gain" can be foreseen, as the curve remains, meaning skill 50 becoming irrelevant, 70 commonplace, 90 maybe a slight challenge, but then the curve still goes on, and the next wave of complaints will be skill 100 for all til Wurm fades into irrelevance. Reworking the cruel timers for beginners, yes, that may be a thing, also seriously inquiring into the insane failure rates under creation chance of 50% pointing to a methodical flaw in "RNG" and constituting a non random frustration generator.

2 As to more content, yes, certainly. But it must be planned carefully. I would all be for revaluing Epic by allowing skill transfer to Freedom, opening Epic for NFI and SFI alike. I would also love a Jackal revival, with lessons learnt from first attempt.

Also, as Malcore mentioned, a major problem is the lack of PvE challenges once your FS went above, say 80 or 85, and you aren't running or riding unarmed and naked. Sometimes, when getting distracted, I recognize a pile of afk killed corpses when coming back, having taken damage only if a champ creature was among them. Only dangerous situation occurring to me is during rifts, especially when 4 or more beasts are attacking me simultaneously, taunting me off the last target in turn, disrupting my focus and swing (ok afk when WM is upon you is no good idea either :) ) , or when meeting a dragon in the wild. Otherwise, PvE is a catwalk in the park, and that is boring. Rift camps could be a thing, but they are far too elusive.

A possibility would be to create "mini bosses" at a considerable spawn rate (say one per week and server region *) which could be a goblin/troll/lava fiend chieftain, a wolf pack leader, a bearserker, a spider queen, and so on. They could be accompanied by 2 or 3 champs, and up to ten "normal" creatures of the same kind. Killing them all solo would be a challenge even for good fighters, and the "mini boss" should carry some special stuff, e.g. rare/supreme etc. material. That would make it worth while to head out for hunts not just mob executions like now. 

3 Extending f2p has been discussed in this thread earlier. As I stated before, I would consider an opening up to skill 50 sensible, and do not believe it would harm in any way, rather make the game more popular and improve player retention.

4 I do not see that the game is expensive. On yearly sub it costs about 5.6€ per month. I am aware that there are people in dire financial circumstances, and that even that may be quite some money to pay. But it is hardly unaffordable for anybody. Claiming

the price of a yearly subscription + deed upkeep + some silvers for the ocassional in game expenses (trading)

being high is self delusional if not outright dishonest.

A yearly subscription costs about 5.6€ per month, or under 5€ if bought during last black friday action. And that is all one has to pay if short on funds or unwilling to pay further. Someone not getting at least 5-30c in coin per day is not really playing Wurm. I get up to 2.8s by foraging/botanizing (though 30-60c are more common) within no more than 30, normally around 20  minutes per day.(I have a skill gain limit, no time limit on it). Even with selling some stuff to the token, the 3.5c/day for a minimum deed upkeep may easily be obtained. In fact, I have not only never paid a cent of RL money for upkeep (though sometimes maintaining 3-5 deeds at a time), but even gathered more than 5g in less than 3.5 years only by gathering coins, selling rares, and very rarely services or crafted items as I am not so much in love with trading. I could easily have paid subscription and upkeep of my permanent deed by this "income" (albeit not my 3 priests :) ) .

In conclusion, I fail to see much to be changed in the "monetization model" other than opening up f2p further. That could indeed raise additional funds as "free players" may feel the need to buy silvers from the shop.

* "region" meaning the regions in the old missions, 9 of them per server, north-middle-south/east-west, comprising of 6x6 7x7 grid tiles circa, other zoning also possible.

Nuff babbled.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum, correction

I think wurm needs a sign in the tutorial area that states " We are here to kill you, rob you of your time, and make you work to succeed with Your blood sweat and tears".

Most of my skills I have gotten are from projects either personal or community.  I have a friend from wurm that grinds non-stop.  He logs on and off at random times grinding and hoping for rares to add to his collection of rares

THIS IS NOT a normal way wurm should be played it should be more along the lines of when building my deed up help my neighbors on occasion and be nice to newbies.

A lot of the skill grinding and needing really massive skills is the Pvp side of things.  They are the master skill grinders as each level they get they have an advantage they can use in the never ending wars with their neighbors.

In Pve its more about what you can make then an advantage over people.

Also you forget that ones that did Real Money Trading that grinding skills made you bucks.  Some Eg:

If i wanted to sell just crap bricks i could get 2 silver per 1k (lets say ql 20-50)  But if I had some really nice bricks like 75ql or higher I could get 3 silver depending on the buyer.

Higher Weapon skill making ability meant I could charge for Improvements to 90 or 95 and a lot of people made bank.

People with high farming (95+) got insane yields and sold crops for 1 silver a 1000 all day long.

Also Trade chat is a joke, you can spam stuff for hours and get no response as a buyer or seller.

All of this silver you made could be sold to people for REAL MONEY.  You could sell your character for REAL MONEY you could buy a character you wanted for REALMONEY.

Trust me PVP made this game a crap ton of money even though I never got into it.

Yep there was TONS AND TONS of greed and underhandedness and Bias that took place at all levels. And steam does not allow it so thus it had to die.

So the current wurm model we have now is NOTHING like what it started like.  Its literally like a whole new game when it comes to buying and selling things as the silver just sits there really.

I can tell you that I play xanadu and at the times I play we have 40-60 on.  For a map as massive as it is that is PATHETIC.  Half of those are alts and about 8 of us talk in freedom chat and that's it.

I talked to a guy from exodus last night he had 9 on.  Went to release they had 23 on and one guy said he had 8 alts on..so..yeah.

Wurm has been used so far for Pvp cash grab and WU cash grab and now a pretty healthy Steam cash grab ( im waiting for an epic release) for another cash grab.

I think this cow is gonna run out of milk soon and just keel over and die and like EA does to its games they just retire it and dont care and move on the next one.

If I had the winning lotto numbers Id save wurm but I don't .  So I give it prob 5 more years or alternating versions of cash grabs before we get the thanks for playing have nice life goodbye forever text when we log in one day.

I dont think raising skill gain 40-50% would help, that could even be worst to the trading part of the game if thats possible.

splitted community, almost no new content and general not alot content in the game,

And not to mention how mutch to consider when skilling, i mean sometimes you need to hurt yourself to have better skillgain, comon thats just stupid.

So my opinion is just to wipe all the servers and create 5-6 new ones, makes the world more livelier, i know this could never happen but 20 ish servers for such a low playerbase its a bit overkill.

Most new players ive met and added to my friendlist stop playing after a short while, there just isnt enough to keep them in the game.

Im afraid we never will get it but we need something more then just hitting buttons to get our skills up, building is fun for most players but thats not something you can keep doin forever.

more world events/reason for players to meet, but by the look of it, all we will get is a new animal, a new item to craft once in awhile.

If i started wurm alone and if i hadnt played WU before i would probably quit the first day aswell, so its not hard to see why wurm has problems keeping new players.

Wurm will not apeal to many new players if they dont make some changes.

Been checking the /who ingame and on the most its 4-500 players on(upto 700 in the weekend) but may very well be 200++ of them thats alts aswell.

• Like 1

All proposals about wiping servers are rubbish. I would not stay if Xanadu were wiped, and none of my allies either. Compared with a year ago participation in Wurm has roughly tripled still, so there seem to be players who appreciate Wurm. Keeping f2p in game by a more reasonable skill limit will hardly damage the company's income, rather on contrary.

I agree that there should be more events where players gather. Also, there should be more PvE challenges, especially for higher fighting skills.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2021 at 1:52 PM, Ekcin said:

Hm. Four different topics, 1. faster skill gain, 2. more content , 3. extend f2p, 4. make game "cheaper"

In short, 1 partially no , two yes, three yes, four no.

Hell no, yes, yes, no

1. If you want faster skill gain, work toward path of knowledge. Get your tools enchanted. Earn that bonus.
  2. I can't imagine anyone is of the opinion that we don't need more content.
  3. Extending f2p in no way is detrimental to p2p. Maybe limit characteristics at 30, regular skills at 70 and keep priests as premium content. Also keep the number of creatures F2P characters can care for to two.
  4. I wouldn't mind them slowly expanding the mark store but given the rate at which new content is released, the existing monetization model is most ideal.

Supposedly the game makes a lot more now that real world trading is gone. Hopefully that has meant that the money put into the game has also gone up. [queue laugh track]

Still waiting for an announcement on volunteer devs to be welcome. Maybe then someone will finally make a model for the bloody Temple.  🙄

Edited by Antony
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Antony said:

make a model for the bloody Temple.  🙄

Its perfect. What better place of worship in wurm than the mighty question mark bag, the only reasonable way to improve it would be to make it larger.

• Like 4
  • Cat 1

I feel that one thing that that seems to be common among some people is that.....your playing the wrong game. There are thousands of games, hundreds of survival games, enough to fit every play style. Wurm is a certain play style, many of us have found that we like this play style...why do you want to change the game that many people love just because you want to play it to, but only you want to play it your way, not the way it is intended. Yes it is a loading bar sim...yes it is a grind...yes many of us love it. You want less of a grind, or faster more engaging action, find a game that fits what you are looking for. To suggest speed timers to be increased, or to suggest server wipes is just plane selfish. You want a game that has a core player base to change to fit your play style because your play style does not fit the game. Adapt or move on. This does not mean that new content is not needed or that changes are not required to help the game grow and appeal to new players and retain them. But changing the core of what the game is because it does not fit your playstyle is not the answer. Maybe changing the way that the game works will bring in more players for a period of time, but Wurm is built on the player base of a different generation. Wurm can be marketed to every person in the world, but as others have pointed out, the typical type of person that loves Wurm is an older (not always more mature) player base. To try and market the game to the generations of players that go from one mobile game to the next, always looking for the next best thing will never work for Wurm. Wurm is an old soul kind of game, slow paced and and that is what appeals to so many of us. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, gnomegates said:

I feel that one thing that that seems to be common among some people is that.....your playing the wrong game. There are thousands of games, hundreds of survival games, enough to fit every play style. Wurm is a certain play style, many of us have found that we like this play style...why do you want to change the game that many people love just because you want to play it to, but only you want to play it your way, not the way it is intended. Yes it is a loading bar sim...yes it is a grind...yes many of us love it. You want less of a grind, or faster more engaging action, find a game that fits what you are looking for. To suggest speed timers to be increased, or to suggest server wipes is just plane selfish. You want a game that has a core player base to change to fit your play style because your play style does not fit the game. Adapt or move on. This does not mean that new content is not needed or that changes are not required to help the game grow and appeal to new players and retain them. But changing the core of what the game is because it does not fit your playstyle is not the answer. Maybe changing the way that the game works will bring in more players for a period of time, but Wurm is built on the player base of a different generation. Wurm can be marketed to every person in the world, but as others have pointed out, the typical type of person that loves Wurm is an older (not always more mature) player base. To try and market the game to the generations of players that go from one mobile game to the next, always looking for the next best thing will never work for Wurm. Wurm is an old soul kind of game, slow paced and and that is what appeals to so many of us. 

first of all, i dont think anyone is serious about server wipe, we all know that could never happen, that people used years building and noone want all that to go to waste, to mutch history.

Wurm is an amazing game and i like the slow pace, if i didnt i wouldnt spend time on it. but what we are talking about here is to evolve and hopefully that would lead to more player staying.

what have we gotten the last year? checker board and thats it.

i know wurm has a small team and its not excpecteing that they spit out updates every week but as far as i can see there is not mutch devolepment going on and even tho i think wurm will stay a float the playerbase will shrink more if nothing happen, a new craftable item the last year just isnt enough.

7 hours ago, SmeJack said:

[Temple model] Its perfect. What better place of worship in wurm than the mighty question mark bag, the only reasonable way to improve it would be to make it larger.

Lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gnomegates said:

I've thought before how wurm should be marketed towards Care Homes (no joke).  There are quite a fair amount of much more older people who play wurm.  Who like the village and community life.  The slow pace of things.  Maybe that would be a good way for wurm to go down.  Maybe even make wurm VR so that the older people in a care home can experience a virtual world.  Feeling like that they are there instead of being locked up in a care home.

Then again, wurm advertised itself onto Steam.  The platform which is filled up with the more younger crowd.  Even the wurm trailer (Which is very good mind) cut out all of the more slow paced things and did scene transitions.  No timers in the trailer either.  If it is really such a big + (timers, slow pace...etc) then it seems that wurm is not promoting itself to the right crowd then. Since it seems that it is promoting itself to the more younger crowd now instead.

If you want to see the divide that has been created from expanding out to steam and see the steam users view points then check out:

Wurm... Online or Unlimited?    -

For the love of god drop the subscription model  -

Hard pass  -

Unpopular Opinion Thread - This one has some good view points on what people find frustrating in/about wurm...etc -

Edited by Zexos