Sign in to follow this  
Aerthok

The Great Highways Project

Today's update:

nZQHlNx.png

Connected to a North/South road, and called it a night. I'm around halfway to Sonata now. (Sorry for the bad lighting - it was dawn in-game)

Edited by Nekojin

On 9/20/2020 at 6:52 AM, Waughee said:

The highway going west from Sonata is paved all the way to the southern city. It just needs catseyes. I'm the mayor of The temple of Fo which the highway runs through and I nearly have the catseyes done for the part in our borders. So if anyone wants to help make or place catseyes the waystone should start allowing directions between the two starter cities once those are eyed.

Along the highway you'll see signs indicating how far to the village that actually put in all the work paving the highway. If you ever pass through make sure to tell them thank you. I only have been building the tiny part within our border so I'm not blocking progress.

For everyone mentioning that they don't have olive oil. If you want to go old-school without a compass, you can use your starter compass to try make a waystone.

@SelinitouAima- You will probably want to get in touch with the mayor of Mystic Shores, to your West by the river. They're also interested in highway positioning, and it would be best if both of you worked together to get a path that satisfies you both. Once I know where it's going, I can angle the long road I'm working on to connect up with you two."

Edit: And the Sonata Northbound road doesn't seem to have gone anywhere yet, at least as of this afternoon. There's some paving further north in fits and starts, but nothing really serious and proper yet. There are a couple of spots that look like they're just about to do something, though. I do agree that going to the North side is probably easier and simpler than trying to go over the mountain to enter the West side.

------

edit: cant get the second in quote box for some reason sorry.

/wave from  Port Crescendo and I promise we are still working on the catseyes for the road heading north from us to sonata xD we just need hundreds and we are installing as we go. We got from us (port crescendo) to encore catseyed recently and we have made significant progress heading north towards sonata and Temple of Fo. :D Just wanted you folks know that we hadn't abandoned the project it's just a lot of catseyes :D. Port Crescendo's mayor is moons if you want to try to catch him on to talk roads. Talear and Tampa also oversee that project if you need a contact point. ( I am just a hunting grunt that goes out and gets some eyeballs xD)

Edited by Yserin
additional info

Sometimes I completely forget the scale I'm dealing with. I thought I was around halfway to Sonata last night. Today, I started working on a more accurate progress map, and this is it: 

qkN7j68.png

Needless to say, I'm a wee bit short from being "half done." (Green is completed, Blue is someone else's road, Yellow is planned)

I ended for the night connecting up to a North/South road that had already been built by someone else. I don't really know where it goes to the South, but I'm pretty sure that the North endpoint for it is at Markath (no, I haven't checked). To be clear: I have a fully Catseyed Highway from Azure Dreams to this N/S road, and I'll be leaving the Waystone on the road (instead of replacing it with a Catseye when I continue tonight) to make it easier for Markath and the others to the south to connect up. 

The terrain there gets choppy, though, and there's both an abandoned non-deeded house and a small lake directly in the way to the East, so it only makes sense to turn Northeast for a dozen tiles or so before resuming the Eastward march. My biggest problem right now is that I had ~270 Catseyes, and I've already used up almost 200 of them. 

Onward! 

Edited by Nekojin

Awesome progress everyone!
Here's an update from our end as well.

W72mLeH.png

On 9/22/2020 at 4:27 PM, icfred said:

I'm currently building a highway heading West from Omletopia. This could be extended to the West coast, however once I reach enough in land I'd like to make a junction going either to Sonata or Encore. I don't know any of the owners of the deeds I've drawn the red line through, so if you can point them my direction please do. 

0sKb8yT.png 

I think you meant you're working East from Omeletopia, @icfred?

I'm working on a highway on the isthmus just west the Omeletopia to connect the two land masses. On the eastern end, I'll stop at the man-made canal. I'm guessing we'll need a short bridge to cross it. I'm based on the peninsula on the isthmus, so that's about as far as I can take the highway east/west.

f8fju4x.png

Edited by Calan
Changed route a bit

ZiMZxvI.png

These are current projects coming in from East, pending deeds being in the way. Further south from Ghost Hollow I'm not entirely sure on the exact pathing, but that's what I've been led to believe is to be current one! Doing decent progress as well :)

Well, much progress was made this weekend. The path originally planned had to be undone and a new route planned, when I discovered that there was a rather large deed covering a good chunk of the woodland that I intended to Highway through. So I had to go straight further - and do some pathing on the other end as well, so that I'd have a better idea of where to place the diagonal - but ultimately, all went well. The road ended up far closer to the decaying house than I'd intended.

So this is the current state of affairs West of Sonata.

lvyP7VK.png

I'm still working with the residents around the big lake to try to figure out a workable path. If you live in this area, get in touch with me (TopCat in-game). I'm particularly interested in getting in touch with LadyRavenlure - if you're here, Lady, PM me please. If you KNOW LadyRavenlure, prod her to get in touch. She's obviously still playing, but apparently our playtimes aren't matching up, so I haven't been able to talk with her recently.

@Aerthok- After a break of building some more housing (the job that is never finished!), I'm going to get to work on more Highway in another day or two. The question is: Do you want me to continue working on the way to Sonata (and negotiating with the locals around the big lake), or would you like me to turn Westward and start working more toward your end of it? 

On 10/5/2020 at 11:41 PM, Nekojin said:

@Aerthok- After a break of building some more housing (the job that is never finished!), I'm going to get to work on more Highway in another day or two. The question is: Do you want me to continue working on the way to Sonata (and negotiating with the locals around the big lake), or would you like me to turn Westward and start working more toward your end of it? 

We're happy to continue it up towards you guys if you want to keep working towards Sonata, though if you do catch someone from Fensalir just south-west of you online, it'd be helpful to know how they'd like the highway routing through/around them as their deed is rather large and they're a bit out of our range at the moment.

Howdy everyone! I’m from Markath, West from Sonata and close to Azure Dreams/Port of Lonlon. We tied into that highway that was being ran from Azure Dreams to Port of Lonlon. We’re interested in helping with furthering the highway projects in our area and setting up an alliance with local settlements.

20 hours ago, Aerthok said:

We're happy to continue it up towards you guys if you want to keep working towards Sonata, though if you do catch someone from Fensalir just south-west of you online, it'd be helpful to know how they'd like the highway routing through/around them as their deed is rather large and they're a bit out of our range at the moment.

Andara has talked with Fensalir in the past, and they were receptive to having a Highway in their area. I went up to their Deed last night, and while nobody was home, their gates were open, so I got a good look around (and now know who to talk to). The Deed is fenced in with single gates, so it's pretty clear that the Highway can't go through their Deed. I don't know whether they actually want it to run to the North or South of their territory, but based on some Roads they've put down, it looks like they're expecting it to go along the North side of their Deed. 

I'll try to get in touch with them and get their plans in greater detail this week. For now, plan to route around their North side. 

20 minutes ago, Sircumference said:

Howdy everyone! I’m from Markath, West from Sonata and close to Azure Dreams/Port of Lonlon. We tied into that highway that was being ran from Azure Dreams to Port of Lonlon. We’re interested in helping with furthering the highway projects in our area and setting up an alliance with local settlements.

Hi again, SirC. We'll hash something out tonight. I didn't realize that you ARE Markath - I'd thought you'd plopped down between us and Markath. 😅 We have no problem with making alliances. Like I said in a post above, I left a Waystone in your North/South road so that you could connect into the Highway easily. I haven't spoken with the Lonlon people at all, so I don't know what they have in mind; I'm just trying to get a solid connection to Sonata. If you have any insight on the people and territory closer to Sonata that hasn't already been mentioned here, I'd love to hear it. 😺

We have pushed a highway from Encore to Port Crescendo and North to Sonata.  We hope to have the last 80 catseyes placed in the next day or so.  This highway is 2100 tiles long with a lot of help from our village.  The only holdup right now is the West end of The Temple of Fo deed where we need 1 more catseye placed as we do not have permissions.  That will connect him to Encore through Port Crescendo.

• Like 1

We have completed the highway from Encore to Sonata.  Port Crescendo villagers rejoice we are done!  Thanks to everyone who chipped in making bricks, catseyes, and for our paving parties.  It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun.  Not sure what I'm going to do with my extra time now.

• Like 2

Pathing from Dodo's Nest to the West Road is complete, paving should be done in the next day (There's just a small stretch left).

The blue squiggly line is that West Road heading North from Crescendo (Saw a map awhile back on where it's at exactly but can't find it.)

Road just needs catsyes/waystones. 

The T-in is 17 tiles south of the Crescendo 150/Sonota 1067 Mile marker.

260867.md.png

Edit update: Paving complete, road just needs Waystones/Catseyes

Edited by PsychoDodo

Hey there, @PsychoDodo. I bumped into you the other day fighting a troll by a guard tower! 🙂

If you look a few posts back for a post from me, you’ll see a stretch of highway I’ve been working on on the isthmus NE of you. I’ve gotten the orange and green fully paved and stopped at the canal (I was hoping to start a short bridge to span the canal, but didn’t realise how hard it was to create a dioptra!) So I’ve was intending to start on the red stretch going west this week. I was planning to stop where the red ends and was going to leave it to others to continue, but wonder if you’d like to connect up somehow?

1 hour ago, Calan said:

Hey there, @PsychoDodo. I bumped into you the other day fighting a troll by a guard tower! 🙂

If you look a few posts back for a post from me, you’ll see a stretch of highway I’ve been working on on the isthmus NE of you. I’ve gotten the orange and green fully paved and stopped at the canal (I was hoping to start a short bridge to span the canal, but didn’t realise how hard it was to create a dioptra!) So I’ve was intending to start on the red stretch going west this week. I was planning to stop where the red ends and was going to leave it to others to continue, but wonder if you’d like to connect up somehow?

We could possibly work something out yes, I don't think I'd want it running up to my deed from the north side but a connector into the highway is possible. There are a lot of settlements between us however so you'd have to contact them about doing that. I'm sure they'd be game however. 

On 9/19/2020 at 4:08 AM, Nez said:

I'm a representative for the Crimson Cabal, includes Crimson Bay Canal, Crimson Pass, and others.  We have the Canal which at L9/10   Just wanted to chime in that were grinding up the 67 masonry for the arched stone bridge going in there to connect the north and south half of that canal.  Should anyone be included to run a connection to this highway project north.  You can pm me in game (nez) if needed.  The Canal project has some dredging to do beyond the actual narrow canal itself, and thats still being worked on, but overall the main goal for us was to sieze the spot and secure it for the server to keep that bay open. 

Good luck on this project, and if something gets built this way we can coordinate to carry it right through the deed. 

Cheers

Congratulations to Crimson and the team who worked on the K10 northern highway project (& the overall western continent canal connection btw), great job! 

We got surprised by how fast it started and finalized within 2 days, so we had no chance to give you a hand but we are grateful!

Regards

Pacific bay & co

On 10/3/2020 at 7:55 AM, Aerthok said:

Awesome progress everyone!
Here's an update from our end as well.

W72mLeH.png

On Monday (I think), after talking with someone (HawkHawk?) about this highway, I went and took a look at the Highway to our West. The paving had already been done most of the way, so I smoothed out the area our chunk of road was on, connected them up, and started laying down Catseyes. I used up all of my Catseyes (and I'm still completely out), and got to ~150 tiles away from the Catseye chain coming the other direction. We should be able to get that connection done this weekend. 

I have been in communication with the folks around the large lake West of Sonata, and the Highway should be close to Olive Branch by now. I have plans to go over there on Friday to help find a workable path from there to Sonata. With luck and a little community involvement, we may well be connected from Sonata all the way to the West Shore by the end of this weekend! The biggest question is whether to bull straight East past Olive Branch (who has expressed interest in having the Highway near them - we're taking as many people into consideration as possible), or turn Southeast to go over the hill close by Sunflower. 

Here's (approximately) how it looks right now from where I am: (Apologies for not including the further West sections - I haven't walked far enough to confirm it, and didn't want to draw it too badly)

cnVfCYW.png

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 1

spGo0lH.png

Current progress report on the Great Pingster Stretch of Highway.

Perdurabia were meant to connect and help, but they've gone rather awol, Ghost Hollow helped a bit though.

Blue is done and paved. Orange is scouted as safe to push forward through to. Lime is already done by Cradle (will do up to my side of the coast), so really shouldn't be too bad to finish this off. Cradle is already connected to Sonata from what I've heard.

Just wish I wasn't doing it solo lol. Then the catseye grind will begin, luckily I've a motherload of them stocked up, enough to get to Sonata and then some, it's just a boring grind.

Here's an updated map from our end, including the update from@Nekojin. We're connected up to Azure Dreams and are now working to connect to the Crimson Bay Canal to the West of Tavernia as marked:

d9QaOfa.png

Edited by Aerthok

5 minutes ago, Aerthok said:

Here's an updated map from our end, including the update from@Nekojin. We're connected up to Azure Dreams and are now working to connect to the Crimson Bay Canal to the West of Tavernia as marked:

d9QaOfa.png

Just as another note on the planned section towards the Crimson Bay Canal, been considering the idea of a crossroads style junction going in where the right angle currently sits on Aerthoks map, would allow the central East/West route to go all the way to the coast potentially. It might also be nice eventually to have a route heading south so if anyone in either of these areas is interested in getting involved please do let us know.

There was some progress on the route to Sonata, but not enough to really give a good update. RL interfered with one of the participants, and we had to stop for the night. I will say, however, that the distance traveled - that is, the distance at the Azure Dreams Waystone to the East and West - shows more than 1000 tiles of Catseyes laid down. Woot!

Progress West of Tavernia has now reached the Crimson Bay Canal crossing, Aerthok is updating the map on the front page to reflect this.

Further to Nekojins comment on the numbers here, I would estimate the total length of the road to be around 1,700 catseyes, we also have a number of settlements on the waystones with others on route who have expressed interest in joining, exciting to see a proper road network coming together!

In terms of getting good coverage across the map we are still interested in working with deeds from the south west part of the map so if anyone is planning on building any roads up from that direction would be good to hear from you to see if we can connect it all up.