Sign in to follow this  
Smarken

Whats the diff ? Free/premium/unlimited ..

What is the difference between Wurm Online Free (on steam) and unlimited/premium ? - only limitations (skill 20+ and so) ? .. or is it another game completely ?
I've noticed some youtubers seem to emphasize the "unlimited" ..

As for now I'm checking the free , but in case I want "more".. what would the benefit be by choosing premium or unlimited ?

Really is the skill cap, in my opinion. You won't really open up the entire Wurm Online set of skills and capabilities unless you are able to expand beyond the skill levels of 20. That being said, it also highly depends on your in-game goals. If you prefer a simple, wandering life, then you don't really need to premium. The "world" itself doesn't change. You just expand what you can do with it if you're able to skill things like carpentry or masonry up and build bigger and better things!

Wurm Online

• Has a free to play option where your skills are capped at 20 and your account can be deleted after 90 days of inactivity.
  • Has a premium option that costs monthly based upon the package you buy or via silver in-game. This allows you to fully skill past 20 and prevents deletion (even having had premium once prevents deletion, so you don't need to stay premium for this perk.)
  • You play on servers hosted and maintained by Wurm Online.
  • There have been updates made to Wurm Online that are not available in Wurm Unlimited such as client upgrades and features such as rifts and wagoners.

Wurm Unlimited

• Separate game on Steam
  • You host your own server locally or join a custom server hosted by someone else.
  • Wurm Online has no control or responsibility over the custom servers in terms of rules, content, and decisions made.
  • Your experience may vary based upon the settings and mods used on the servers you play on. It can be very different from Wurm Online.
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Smarken said:

What is the difference between Wurm Online Free (on steam) and unlimited/premium ? - only limitations (skill 20+ and so) ? .. or is it another game completely ?
I've noticed some youtubers seem to emphasize the "unlimited" ..

As for now I'm checking the free , but in case I want "more".. what would the benefit be by choosing premium or unlimited ?

The difference between "Free" and "Premium" is mainly the skill-cap. Both a Free player and a Premium player can own land, build houses, keep animals and so forth.

Premium players however can raise skills over level 20 and as a result can build bigger buildings, drive different (and often better) vehicles such as larger ships, drive a horse-drawn cart (or bulls or bison if you prefer).

Now Unlimited vs Online are two entirely different games.

Now I say this simply because Unlimited is built around the idea of a Single Player experience, with similar structure. Unlimited does not offer all the same features that Online does, and Online is still getting new features regularly. Unlimited will no longer receive new features, but where Online gets new features that Unlimited is not. Unlimited does allow modding the client as well as Private Server hosting to the playerbase which allows settings, features, game-changing mods and so forth to be added.

So deciding which route you want to take you'll need to ask yourself these few questions:

1. Am I someone who likes the idea of playing with mods? I mean any mods, in-game minimaps, ESP mods, QoL mods, etc;
  2. Am I someone who prefers a faster gameplay = results sort of player, rather than spending several minutes to assemble a single wall of my house?
  3. Do I prefer to play entirely alone in a world, all by myself (or with just a few friends), meaning no interaction even via trading in an MMO scenerio?
  4. Am I OK with the idea that to go beyond a certain skill-cap I will either have to Pay Real Money subscription OR earn the in-game currency to obtain the Premium Character status?

If most of your answers here are "Yes", you probably want to go with Unlimited.

Unlimited will offer you the option of Mods, allow for a faster gameplay as well as allow you completely and entirely never have to worry about anyone else in the world for any reason (unless you join a public server).

If most of your answers here are "No", but your last question was answered with "Yes" then look into Wurm Online. You never have to pay for Premium from your own pocket and I will always suggest starting with Online for the simple fact that FREE does allow you to get a feel for what the game is. If you like the type of game it is but wish it was "faster" or "had this feature" then you know Unlimited is the route you'll want to go in the end.

Thanks for your different but same,  answers 🙂
In total I guess I now got an pretty good idea of where to go (or actually stay, sort of) from here. (free or maybe premium).
Somehow I don't think I would ever go for stand-alone/private server .. I've been playing wow since 2007 and never went for joining a private 😉

.. and by the way .. I love that I can play on both my windows and my Linux 🙂

Edited by Smarken

realy if you dont prem you lose out on many things.

you wont be able to kill a troll with 20body stats, fighting, weaponskill, weaponql etc.

as is with most things, you will also be unable to build large buildings, or a smelter for example.

4 hours ago, Zera said:

3. Do I prefer to play entirely alone in a world, all by myself (or with just a few friends), meaning no interaction even via trading in an MMO scenerio?

Actually this is not always true. It depends on the server you choose, and if you start your own server or play on one of the well established servers that have been up and running for years. I'm not sure why the prevailing impression of a lot of people is that it's single-player, super fast skills, easy mode, etc. Some are, but most are not.  Some servers have very active communities, market, unique slayings, and even a form of rifts along with hunting islands and/or increased difficulty mobs in a hunting area. Some with valrei creatures and rift mobs. Some servers have really cool mods like non-combat pets, combat pets, things like trees in planters, treasure chests, mini map, etc.  More than I could possibly write here without turning it into a small novelette.  Also, not all Unlimited servers are faster actions or skill gains. A lot of them are the same speed skill/actions as Online and some are even slower than Online.  It all depends on the mods.

So I would say if someone is interested in knowing what Unlimited is all about, a good place to start would be to look at the server listings in the Unlimited section of this forum and see what the features are on those servers.  They're all different from each other and yet still Wurm. :)

Edited by Amadee

The one big negative with Wurm Unlimited is that you could get involved heavily in a server only to have the server owner shut it down on you causing you to lose everything you have invested in it.  I have had that happen to me more than once.  However, that will likely not happen with Wurm Online.  If you choose Wurm Unlimited, you would do well to choose one of the few servers that are the oldest and likely not to shut down any time soon.  Go with the numbers of players and choose one of the highest populated servers.  Sklotopolis or Mythmoor are the oldest and least likely to shut down.  That would be my suggestion.  The one big negative with Wurm Online is the overall cost to play compared to Wurm Unlimited.

48 minutes ago, Eyesgood said:

The one big negative with Wurm Unlimited is that you could get involved heavily in a server only to have the server owner shut it down on you causing you to lose everything you have invested in it.  I have had that happen to me more than once.  However, that will likely not happen with Wurm Online.  If you choose Wurm Unlimited, you would do well to choose one of the few servers that are the oldest and likely not to shut down any time soon.  Go with the numbers of players and choose one of the highest populated servers.  Sklotopolis or Mythmoor are the oldest and least likely to shut down.  That would be my suggestion.  The one big negative with Wurm Online is the overall cost to play compared to Wurm Unlimited.

Yeah, hate when that happens. lol.  I've had a couple shut down on me but I wasn't heavily invested, time-wise, in those anyway. So far, I haven't had one shut down on me that I considered one of my "main" servers. "knock on wood"   I do like to try out new servers when someone opens one that looks interesting, some were pretty cool but didn't last very long. Still, not like I don't have plenty to do on the other servers I play, so if they don't last, it's a bummer but not a disaster.  I play regularly on some servers that have been going for years and very well run with decent communities. In addition to Sklotopolis and Mythmoor, I also really like Otherlands. Bdew, who runs it, is a mod writing genius and responsible for many of the common mods you find on other servers now. He just added a new server to the cluster with slightly different rules.  :)  Calysto is also a lot of fun. That one is super fast so I like to play there when I just want to chill or to try out road patterns or ideas for buildings and/or terraforming, etc.  Severed Realms is another good one and been running a long time.  Plus I still have my character and deed on Wurm Online, so it's all good.  No reason you can't play both.

Edited by Amadee