Sign in to follow this  
Cipacadrinho

Make mobs stop ignoring slope

Hi

I think the problem with people demanding more mobs while the server mobs count in the statistics is high is because mob after spawning start to roam but they ignore slope so they end up in hard to reach places by players so they are basically taking the animal slot until they die of old age.

If you  give mobs the same slope limitations as players then they might be concentrating in easier access areas.

Sure could just let uniques or rift mobs ignore slope still just make the ones needed for fs grind have the same slope mechanic as players.

What? That is not realistic? A mountain lion can climb higher slope than a human? Who cares, is a game:) Can you toggle climb irl while running from a spider twice your size?:)

• Like 3

This all sounds well and good until you realize that introducing a slope cap would allow unscrupulous terraformers to make hideously ugly mob traps all across the landscape for easy hunting. I've played on WU servers where they've done this.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ephemeral said:

This all sounds well and good until you realize that introducing a slope cap would allow unscrupulous terraformers to make hideously ugly mob traps all across the landscape for easy hunting. I've played on WU servers where they've done this.

Still, it would be logical not wogical. Players would need to put some effort, and besides, even now you can spam wooden fences outside of deed and make exact same traps. Just fences instead of dirt/rock walls.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

Still, it would be logical not wogical. Players would need to put some effort, and besides, even now you can spam wooden fences outside of deed and make exact same traps. Just fences instead of dirt/rock walls.

True, but fences decay and can be bashed where the non-Euclidian geometric monstrosities that make up terraforming traps are permanent until some poor sod has enough and spends an hour or so cleaning them up.

• Like 2

Don't know how roaming of mobs works currently, but I guess it's random in some way.

Maybe some modifiers should be introduced.

When mob gonna move, there would be greater chance that it choose direction with terrain below 30 slope (70%) than terrain above 30 slope (30%). Of course if there is some kind of roll.

Also terrain type could decide, for example if domestical animal gonna move, it will choose rather grass tile than rock/dirt/sand one, even if grassy one has big slope.

not happening.. it's like asking for mobs to not walk through trees while you can get stuck in such ..

Yeah, I remember that there was an info that mob vs tree collision wasn't implemented, couse it would be too many calculations for the server.

Question is, if current system of moving mobs could be slightly modified.

Maybe @Sinduskcould shed some light on this from his datamining?

1 hour ago, Ephemeral said:

The solution to this problem is simple. Wandering mobs have a restriction, but when a fight begins, the restriction disappears and the mob can get out of the trap.

1 hour ago, Ephemeral said:

The easy fix for that would be to have the mobs that trigger their roaming to check for mob density on 20 tiles area and if theres like more than 5 to ignore slope?\

L.E. And the way they implement that is use like the code of Humid Drizzle.

A Fo priest casts that on a tile and then based on power of cast etc grooms the creatures around it and you get msg in even for each one of them right? like 4x4 tiles?

So can just make the mob about to roam  make a check for other mobs in local 5x5 tiles or whatever based on that code and decide if is gonna roam and ignore slope or roam respecting slope based on how many other mobs were detected in range of the check.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

It doesn't need to be so heavy handed. Just make them want to leave the slope, instead of blocking them from going up it.

even tho i would like to see this in game as im also sometimes annoyed to find mobs on the mountain slopes high up where its close to impossible to reach them, but i strongly doubt this would ever happen. Main reason i think that the server would have to check the moving restrictions of every single mob in the 40k mob count or so on the server. much like a player.. how imagine how the servers would work with 40k actively monitored creatures if its already nearly unplayable when 1k ppl log in on the same server...

I thought mobs tend to want to head downhill.  Unless its just me but when I go hunting I notice mobs density increases on inside of valleys or man made pits.

+1. Each time I sail/roam around, I see about 50 trolls, 100 spiders (although spiders do make sense on mountains), 9999+ sheeps, cows, bulls, horses on 100+ slopes. There are some mountains on deliverance near the sea that host close to 1000-2000 mobs that will never be killed.

Just force mobs to not be able to go above 40 slope like horse riding limitations.

Even if some people would start trapping small areas, at least HUNTING would be FUN again. I spend 50% of the time hunting just looking for decent mob sizes so I don't waste sleep bonus.

It's more than annoying to see hundreds of mobs in unreachable places. No one will archer them because it will be a waste of arrows.

Some mobs might make sense to be able to climb high slopes = Spiders, but not to stay in the same place for too long.

Please please implement slope limits. Or at least stamina limits for how much a mob can climb before being "forced" to go back to flat lands or walkable slopes.

Another solution would be to just have the terrain mapped by the server during the patch restarts, then check for mobs on high slopes and basically kill them off by changing their age to Dead.

This way you free up the mob slots to respawn in different areas that were hunted clean.

Can add uniquest and mission mobs to exceptions from this rule to avoid potential issues.

This could be the best solution because then on servers down during patching there will be no lag for the player and if the server mob pop would be near the max the creatures killed by the slope rule will basically spawn on same slope area if is doing a density check but if some non sloped area have no density because of player hunting then they will get mobs respawning there.

L.E. Once the slope check is made it would have to be another check to see if the tile is deeded to avoid killing people's deed mobs or maybe have a table of deeded and perimeter tiles that are excluded from the calculations in the first place.

Edited by Cipacadrinho

I think creatures should have the same movementrules as players. They can go up and down x slope and that's it.

They should also suffer in movementspeed from terrain and such. like walking on tar makes them slower for example.

They do suffer move speed from terrain/tar/sand/etc. 

Can tell you it's how i sometimes managed to survive when i started, forcing mobs to walk on sand or tar while i made my escape.

That being said, killing off mobs on a server check if they are above X slope doesn't seem like a useful long term solution. 

Just code some basic pathfinding that they must find  <=40 slope tiles where they can roam. It will improve hunting experience. You can make an exception to spiders/lava spiders since it's logical for them to be able to climb mountains. And cave bugs as well i guess/eaglespirits/drakespirits/dragons. 

But for the rest? They should strictly have the same rules as players. 

• Like 2