Sign in to follow this  
Sindusk

Wurm Combat Explained

Google Document: Wurm Combat Explained

From the Preface:

This is an in-depth walkthrough of a single swing calculation for the combat system in Wurm. It’s meant to serve as a guide for those looking to understand the intricacies of combat. This will not tell you what the best weapon is, what armour to wear, or even how to fight an opponent optimally. It will simply tell you the mechanics at play, how they interact, and to what degree they affect the outcome.

Edit: I forgot some supporting materials that may be of use.

Wurm Data - Spreadsheet that contains weapon stats and creature stats. These were datamined from WU in 2016, but I think I've updated those two sheets (which are relevant to this document) to the latest information.

Armour Evaluation - Spreadsheet that contains a full evaluation of armours including base DR, glance rates, damage effectiveness, and material modifiers. These were datamined from WU in 2018 and should be mostly up to date.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 16

I'll be doing a stream where I read through this document and explain everything in-depth in 18 hours from this post (10PM EDT, Wednesday, September 2nd). I'll be answering any questions and hopefully improve the document as a result of the questions asked.

https://www.twitch.tv/sindusk

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 3

im sorry that you had to read through the entirety of that awful combat code to make this post

• Like 3

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this!

Honestly having this kind of understanding will really help identify areas where suggestions can be made. Looking forward to seeing the stream as well!! 

Just now, Oblivionnreaver said:

im sorry that you had to read through the entirety of that awful combat code to make this post

He must have been so drained by the end that he forgot to add pictures like he promised:)

6 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

It's actually my second time doing so. The first was when I rewrote it for a mod. However, this was the first time I actually worked out some of the mechanics instead of saying "wow that looks horrible," hitting delete, and re-writing it from scratch.

5 minutes ago, Emoo said:

Can't wait to sink my teeth into this!

Honestly having this kind of understanding will really help identify areas where suggestions can be made. Looking forward to seeing the stream as well!! 

I agree, hit rates against the mobs on chaos are quite interesting!

Question for if I don't make the stream, would the slow from web armour tie in to the dodge chance, or is it only the slow from armour?
Also, is archery out of the documents scope?

1 minute ago, vinius said:

Question for if I don't make the stream, would the slow from web armour tie in to the dodge chance, or is it only the slow from armour?
Also, is archery out of the documents scope?

Good question. Web armour has no effect on dodge chance. It only affects weapon swing speed to the best of my knowledge.

Archery is indeed out of the document scope. This focuses entirely on a single swing of melee combat.

The stealth damage bonus is fascinating. Is it known if that works against creatures as well?

Excellent write up, by the by. Reading these is a unique pleasure in how well structured and concise they are while delivering important information.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ephemeral said:

The stealth damage bonus is fascinating. Is it known if that works against creatures as well?

Last time me and friends played around with it we couldn't get it to work, since it only happens when you leave stealth and the bonus is gone before you swing, you'd have to get the enemy to start combat by giving you an opportunity attack i'd think.

4 hours ago, LeafLife said:

Thanks for this. Is Willowspine not involved in the dodge calculation?

I had to go hunting for what that did. Looks like it adds a modifier similar to stomach wounds, but in the opposite direction. I'll update the document to reflect this.

1 hour ago, zCat said:

Wurm Data - Spreadsheet that contains weapon stats

Your weapon material table is different to Retrogrades

https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/161990-new-metal-type-properties-reference-list/

his shows SILVER weapons as having a 10% buff

I used the notes section of mine to display that. Adding 10% to the chart without a proper notation saying it had exceptions could lead to confusion.

NEmdYoB.png

• Like 1

so what you are saying is that soul depth doesn't effect my channeling / cast power ? 

Extensive and well written document, thank you for that. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Egard said:

so what you are saying is that soul depth doesn't effect my channeling / cast power ? 

Funny enough, if you don't have max bonus for your cast and your Soul Depth is high enough, it can have an effect on your cast. I might get into that during the stream, since it's not easy to explain otherwise.

explain everything in-depth in 18 hours

I'm surprised it can be explained that quickly! 🤣

Hm I read about the block again. Do this not contradikt the entry of the Wu Datamining you have done in 2016? In the Datamining you came to the conclusion that Shild QL and Size dont realy mater in terms of Block while in this document it looks like it dose quite a lot. So waht you would say is accurate now? That the code is not working right and it don´t matter or that the your test was wronge back in 2016?

6 hours ago, Radircs said:

Hm I read about the block again. Do this not contradikt the entry of the Wu Datamining you have done in 2016? In the Datamining you came to the conclusion that Shild QL and Size dont realy mater in terms of Block while in this document it looks like it dose quite a lot. So waht you would say is accurate now? That the code is not working right and it don´t matter or that the your test was wronge back in 2016?

Since then, I discovered that the simulations I ran in that thread initially were faulty. I never removed the shield taking damage on each block, so in the simulations that you see there, the shield takes so much damage that it inevitably breaks and is destroyed. This throws off the data by a lot. Maybe one day I'll get that program running again, update it to the latest iteration of the code, and spit out some new results.

In short, the simulations for mining and combat back in 2016 were faulty. The casting simulations were very accurate, and you can see that in practice with the Grinder tool.

Was there any kind of datamining for archeology or was that skill introduced after the last WU patch? I would love to know about the different type of tiles or what not that are better for certain shards (just like foraging and botany)